What's everyone working on?

I am working on installing lights today. I'm having to solder the grounding wires back in because my hands tend to jerk a little too hard and pull them out. WOOPS! I'm also putting in molding when I need a break from that, which is frequently. lol

My aunt is visiting today, so no mini-ing which is unfortunate because I am suddenly flooded with ideas for my house. I think it's because I am waiting on delivery of an Orchid which I found on Amazon for $25. My cute little Emma doll will love it when I get it set up for her and her little friends. :) It is funny to me because I was not really into dolls at all until Emma arrived in my grab bag. By the way, what is the best way to close up a staircase hole? I have decided to leave one of the stairs out of my house to give me more room on the main floor. Yeah inspiration!!

Don't punch the stair hole out. If it's a built house and you've removed the stairs, you can take a piece of scrap paper, lay it over the stair hole and press around it and then use the fold lines to cut out a pattern from the paper to cut out a pice of scrapwood or foamcore the right size to fill the hole. Spackling compound or woodfiller will fill any spaces and then sand it smooth and paint/ paper/ finish how you want.

Feeling kinda bummed right now. I was expecting my brick delivery from HBS yesterday, and didn't hear a word from them. Usually I get an email with a tracking number to let me know that things are on the way, but not this time. Finally had to log on to their site, and go through my order history to find out what's going on. Well, the things I expected to be delivered on Thursday, didn't even go in the mail until then, and the expected delivery date isn't until Saturday. Bummer. Big Bummer. HBS is usually faster than this. Has anyone else found that they've slowed down with their deliveries considerably in recent weeks? Things seem slower ever since they "upgraded" their site.

hi :)

i started ordering from them in March.. my first order got here rather quickly.. like 3 days.. the next few took about 6-8 days, and it was a dreadfully long wait because i was so anxious and excited.. that's just my experiences with them recently, not sure how it was in the before times..

i haven't been on much, been working hard, hardly working and taking care of my homestead on Frontierville :lol:

made some progress on the Pierce.. sconces are working nicely in the dining room and i did get the kitchen light in too.. i did lay some cardstock in for ceilings but i can see the tapewire right through it.. i may put a second layer or get some of that ceiling paper.. no decision as of yet, but the cardstock is a nice "primer."

i do have some pics on my home computer.. if i can remember to do anything tonight, i will email them to myself so i can upload them here.

the one thing i'm having some minor trouble with in the Pierce towers is papering.. so many small corners that i can't get my head in to see if it' all set, trimming said corners and turns might be almost as much fun, if not more.. any thoughts or suggestions, how do you all handle these types of things? in hindsight, i should have painted or papered, but i knew i'd be laying the tapewire there, so i didn't.. mental note made..

the first floor is coming along.. i'll start working on the second floor in a month or so at this pace.. been doing some spring cleaning on the weekends which eats up a good deal of my mini'ing time.. my daughter likes when i'm busy because my work chair is empty and she is adoring the mini tea set and dishes ^_^

Been doing some follow up on orders I placed at Chicago. Got all that taken care of and orders should be in the mail within the next day or so. Also started putting together the stuff I unpacked from the shipment from Chicago classes. The base for Rapunzel's tower had come unglued during shipment from the foam base and so that had to be re-glued. It is now "setting" up and hopefully I can get busy on the PaperClay on the out side shortly. Picked up a couple of kits for Saranova chairs and have them out to stain and build. Probably get them put together in the next day or so. Also need to get back on the medieval tower cottage. Since the bed I originally put together for it was too big, been working with SDK to get a smaller version. Will order the kits later this evening.

Poor Brady has finally perked up and is definitely feeling better. He would really like to get out and play with Flynn but he will have to settle for brief walks outside to do his business.

Ordering another house was just the thing I needed to get myself in gear. Hopefully, that doesn't become a habit :lol: Got the hole cut in the side for access to the kitchen, plus wallpapered the living room. Tomorrow, I might attempt some crown moulding. :unsure:

Hey guys,

Got a couple of quick questions on lighting. Has anyone ever tried to attach more than one lighting strip to a transformer? I'm talking about the strips with 12 outlets where you plug in your lights. If you have a transformer that can handle more than 12 lights can two strips be attached to the same transformer? And second, for anyone who has used LED lights, I'm thinking of getting the 30" strip of lights that you can cut to different lengths. I've searched and searched and can't seem to find any information on how you attach these strips to your power source, does anyone know how they attach?

~Wing~

I was wondering this same thing a few weeks ago, and found my answers on the RGT site.

The light strips can be cut to any length at a "cut mark", which occurs every 3 lights or in 1 1/2 inch increments. Works with tapewire or solid wire miniature wiring systems.

http://www.realgoodtoys.com/store/productview/113772//ExtraBrite_12V_LED_Strips

If you look on this page, 2nd thing down, is a pdf with the led lighting instructions.

http://www.realgoodtoys.com/dollhouse-assembly-instructions/

I've just finished a Build-Along project with RGT. It's been a lot of fun. I think I posted pictures in my Gallery, but I can't see them. Just keep getting an error message. So I don't know if they are there or not. But here's the project -- It's a wall-hanging house and is now in my home office.

post-4286-0-43757300-1304895753_thumb.jp

And a closeup of the desk, with all the lights on --

post-4286-0-06244900-1304895923_thumb.jp

Your pictures appear in the strip of recent gallery images at the top of the home page, but if I click on your gallery button or one of them, I get a blank page. Maybe it's set to private.

Your pictures appear in the strip of recent gallery images at the top of the home page, but if I click on your gallery button or one of them, I get a blank page. Maybe it's set to private.

I didn't get a chance to set anything. As soon as I clicked on the "Finish and Publish" button, I got a big blank screen saying nothing could be displayed. And now I can't see any of my albums, just get the same message. I've been staying away from the forum but it looked like the album problem was fixed, others said it was ok, and the dolls quit showing up in every gallery, so I tried it. Until the last step, I liked the way the pictures loaded and the ease of labeling everything, which was easier than it used to be. Guess I should stay away a bit longer. Been having lots of fun over on the RGT page with the group Build-Along. There were quite a few people participating in it. So I'll check in again later this month and see how it's going.

Sorry I've been scarce lately. I've had a lot going on and the new layout has been a problem. Since I can't add any new photos to my gallery I'll try to put some in my blog tomorrow.

I've been putting the finishing details in the Tudor's kitchen interior. All but one of the cabinets are installed, all of the counter tops are finished and I'll start building windows tomorrow. I'm also about 1/2 done with the kitchen entry way frame. It is the most complicated in the entire house because the outlets for 2 fireplace lights are located in a recessed opening on the outside edge of the frame. It required some wiring and soldering within a 3/8" space and some additional finishing details.

What I am currently working on? Well, since the Lady Ashley is finished (YAY!), I am working on cleaning up and re-organizing my work area before the next big client project (the Alexandria) begins! :ohyeah:

I've just finished a Build-Along project with RGT. It's been a lot of fun.

This is wonderful! I love the elevator with the dolly in it! You've included a lot of details, as you always do, that just bring it to life. :clap:

I'm up to my eyeballs in egg carton bricks for the Spring Fling chimney I'm building, but so far I like how it's turning out. :D

This is wonderful! I love the elevator with the dolly in it! You've included a lot of details, as you always do, that just bring it to life. :clap:

I'm up to my eyeballs in egg carton bricks for the Spring Fling chimney I'm building, but so far I like how it's turning out. :D

Thank you, Brae. I've got more pictures in a new Shutterfly website. I just got started with them and it might be a good solution to posting pictures -- everything in one central location instead of on two or three forums. http://cjsminiaturehobby.shutterfly.com/ I will repost them here when the "remodel" is over.

Egg carton bricks are the next thing I want to try. Sounds pretty tedious but sure looks nice when finished :) Good luck on yours. I wasn't able to do the Spring Fling this year, and with all the upset on the new forum I'm not following the progress others are making. Hope they get this finished pretty soon. I kind of feel like we're living in an old building while they repair the roof, the foundation, and the wiring all around us!! But I'm glad we didn't have to "move out" for this long!

Hi Everyone! I am back! :wave: The place is lookin better but I am not use to it yet! I can't get the Gallery to load ....what's the trick?

I am building RGT 1 Country Lane, front opening house. I always wanted to do a front opening house. I will have to do a lot of reading to catch up. Have a nice afternoon.

Welcome home, Roxy, I've missed you!

No one rememberrs the original "old" Greenleaf Forum, but we had neither gallery nor blog capability, nor a lot of the bells & whistles that this major upgrade obviously has to cope with. I betcha if we just exchange information while we wait it'll all get fixed eventually.

The only mini work I've managed in the past few weeks is to move Marie Laveau's cottage and the pottery shop to New Orleans. Both need to be set up, but I haven't decided how exactly to display them. Charlie Bohn, the potter whose shop inspired the pottery shop, is coming for dinner day after tomorrow, so I'd best get my tail in gear! (I'm tempted to see if he'll display it in his shop with a nice price tag on it. His shop is on Magazine Street, a high end shopping area. I think before that happens, though I'll need to redo the outdoor kiln from printed bricks to real bricks. The paper just doesn't cut it with the detail in the shop itself.)

My creative juices have been diverted to pulling together a photo album for the French cousins to take with us when we go in two weeks. I had an email from him this morning saying that one day there will be a mass dedicated to our family in the church where several generations of ancestors were baptised, married and buried, with a reception in the town hall afterward. He is running a notice in the local paper to draw in cousins from all over the area. This is shaping up to be a trip of a lifetime!

Well, I'm finally done moving my real-life furniture and I'm very pleased with how that came out :thumb: Waiting on my HBS order to complete the wallpaper in the Vermont Jr. so I'm going to try filling in a staircase hole today. I'm having the same problem with the gallery as everyone else, but I know they are working as hard as they can. It's hard to be patient when you guys have such beautiful work that gives me such great ideas!