What's everyone working on?

:construction: Can anyone help me with bricking the exterior of my Willow? Specifically, do I do the corners where two walls meet first and brick out from there? I bought the special corner bricks for that and reasoned that I'd do the corners first from top to bottom. What methods have any of you used for keeping the rows straight when you're working on a vertical surface? What would you suggest using as a spacer to make sure all the rows are the same distance apart? And lastly, I've ordered the mortar mix from HBS and it hasn't come yet, so right now I'm not sure if it comes with instructions on how to apply it, so I'm wondering would you try applying it only in the joints like regular mortar on a RL home or would you use it over the entire surface, wiping away the excess the way you would with RL grout on a tile floor? If I was making it for myself I think I'd probably just dive right in and fix any mistakes along the way, but I'm making this one for my friend's son (just did one for the daughter) and my mistakes put dents in her wallet since she's paying for the supplies, so I want to avoid as many missteps as I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

~Wing~

Can anyone help me with this? My bricks are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, and I'm making this for someone else, so Idon't want to make a mess of it. Help !:surrender:

• Like 1

When I did the bricks on the bottom of my nieces' Laurel I started on the outside for one row, and then just worked my way up after completing one row and staggered the joints. Did it differently on the Petite Dreams rehab, and made bricks or stone blocks if you will starting from the inside of one row and working my way out. According to anyone I've talked to it sounds like starting from the middle and working your way out is the way to go, but honestly so long as you are staggering your joints -- don't think it's really going to matter.

Hopefully someone more adept at this can help you out...

Can anyone help me with this? My bricks are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, and I'm making this for someone else, so Idon't want to make a mess of it. Help !:surrender:

Judith,

If you're using loose bricks like I do, You'll need to sort the bricks first. Houseworks makes some great bricks, but they are only uniform in length and width, not height (1/8") so you have to sort out the thick ones from the rest and lay your rows with the bricks that are as close to each other in thickness as possible. I use 1/16" x 1/8" basswood strips as spacers between each row and lay one row, all the way around the building at a time, starting with one of the corners. I use a loose brick held temporarily against the corner as a marker, so the first brick will be flush with the row when it comes around.

Hope this helps!

Judith,

If you're using loose bricks like I do, You'll need to sort the bricks first. Houseworks makes some great bricks, but they are only uniform in length and width, not height (1/8") so you have to sort out the thick ones from the rest and lay your rows with the bricks that are as close to each other in thickness as possible. I use 1/16" x 1/8" basswood strips as spacers between each row and lay one row, all the way around the building at a time, starting with one of the corners. I use a loose brick held temporarily against the corner as a marker, so the first brick will be flush with the row when it comes around.

Hope this helps!

Thank you thank you, I hadn't even thought about differing thickness with the loose bricks. I think I have some basswood that's thin enough for spacing. God please don't let me make a mess of this. Thanks Jeremy.

• Like 1

When I did the bricks on the bottom of my nieces' Laurel I started on the outside for one row, and then just worked my way up after completing one row and staggered the joints. Did it differently on the Petite Dreams rehab, and made bricks or stone blocks if you will starting from the inside of one row and working my way out. According to anyone I've talked to it sounds like starting from the middle and working your way out is the way to go, but honestly so long as you are staggering your joints -- don't think it's really going to matter.

Hopefully someone more adept at this can help you out...

Thank you for answering, usually I just go with what seems to make sense, big emphasis on "seems", but I really can't afford to mess this up. Do you recommend grouting as you go along...you know, get 4 or 5 rows done and then grout, or do it all at one time? Or will I just be making a mess for myself doing it a little at a time?

Whohooo, doing new-minis-stuff arrived dance over here... Purr-fect excuse to get to know the mailman properly LOL... I think he still needs to get used to happy face when seeing the lil' box of mini-treasures...

Well, the Adams is soooo close to done now, ie on the inside, have made the "what is left"-list and am crossing over one thing after another so happy, happy, happy!!!

Hugs

Thank you for answering, usually I just go with what seems to make sense, big emphasis on "seems", but I really can't afford to mess this up. Do you recommend grouting as you go along...you know, get 4 or 5 rows done and then grout, or do it all at one time? Or will I just be making a mess for myself doing it a little at a time?

Do all of the bricking first. Grouting is messy. Make it easy on yourself and only do it once. :D

Well, after a few weeks break due to a back issue, I am trying to finish up the Lady Ashley. Unfortunately, I seem to be out of baseboard and crown moulding now! :glare: Hope my HBS order gets here soon! I am bummed, 'cause I had wanted this house finished and outta here by Easter - and it ain't gonna happen at this rate.

Also, just got another dollhouse client! :banana: HOWEVER- she wants the Dura-Craft Alexandria built for her. Looks like a bit of a pain to put together, and it may need some 'bashing' done to add hinged openings for better access to some of the rooms. It's gonna be a handful for sure. this house is a monster, so I've gotta get the Lady Ashley and the Princess Anne finished so I can have enough room in my little workspace!

I brought 3 of my houses in today, 1:48 farmhouse, 1:24 Fairfield, and the Beacon Hill. The students are getting a kick out of seeing them. They are coming up in small groups and using their architect scales they learned how to use yesterday and figuring out which scale the houses are. It's going pretty well.

I have all of the wallpaper out of the Town House along with all of the trim and the upper floor closet. One side wall is almost completely stripped of paint. Oh, and all of the wood flooring is off of every floor. After looking at the basic structure now that I'm getting the "extras" off and put in a safe place I've realized I'm going to have to completely take the house apart to change the floor placement. This is actually good though for the way it was constructed. I can fill in the previous channels for the floors with wood fill, and use the router to make new channels at the height I want. Last but not least have picked out some fabric wallcovering for my Petite Dreams lady's study... Who knows may be updating this later if I keep up with this feeling of needing to get mini things done today! lol

Feeling kinda bummed right now. I was expecting my brick delivery from HBS yesterday, and didn't hear a word from them. Usually I get an email with a tracking number to let me know that things are on the way, but not this time. Finally had to log on to their site, and go through my order history to find out what's going on. Well, the things I expected to be delivered on Thursday, didn't even go in the mail until then, and the expected delivery date isn't until Saturday. Bummer. Big Bummer. HBS is usually faster than this. Has anyone else found that they've slowed down with their deliveries considerably in recent weeks? Things seem slower ever since they "upgraded" their site.

Between work, apartment hunting and avoiding the B & B, I haven't been on here much.

I am putting the finishing touches on the Tudor's first floor staircase. I also decided to forgo traditional light fixtures in the foyer and use indirect lighting by installing the main crown moulding an inch lower from the ceiling and installing LED strips in the recessed area. It should flood the room with light when it reflects off of the white ceiling.

I had been looking forward to working on my dollhouse today....I had planned to work on it all day long. I got as far as gluing in kneewalls in two of the rooms on the 3rd floor (ran out of wood to do the 3rd room)...and that is as far as I got. I'm just not motivated, although I do want to dollhouse. Hopefully i can get more done on thursday.

Now we're home I have to do two weeks' worth of catchup on chores. I lucked out and found some lovely linen in a thrift store in Pensacola, so I'm going to try the elephant rug on that!

Well finally got Rapunzel's Tower unpacked and she is sitting in the dining room. This is one big lady and I still have almost the entire outside to do. I bought the lights I needed but the dealer only had one set and I should get the rest in a few weeks. I have been so tired since I got back that I can not seem to get up the enthusiasm to do much of anything. All the medical appts went ok so hopefully I will get some energy so I can do some miniing.

Almost finished with the 1st floor stairs (still needs a hand rail) and progressing forward with the kitchen cabinets and walls. I'm looking at getting real marble or granite for the counter tops, but I still have the ones I made with wood on standby if I can't find a company capable of cutting stone at 1/8 inch thickness.

If I stay on shedule I could have the entire first floor of the Tudor house finished by early June.

Got quite a bit of work done on my Willow today. The exterior walls are up, decided to flip the 2nd and 3rd floors. The staircase which was on the 1st floor, took up too much room so I shifted it to the 2nd floor. Flipped the 1st floor rooms so that the largest room is on the left, that will become the fire truck bay and the fireplace/bookcase room will now become a small office. The second floor will now hold a bunk room over the bay and a shower/bath across the hall over the office. The 3rd floor will have the firemen's recreation room over the bunk room, and the kitchen across the hall over the bath. The brass pole will start in the rec room and go down through the bunkroom and then on into the bay.

Finished assembling the stairs and one of the chimneys, and if I'm not too tired tonight I may start working on making a parquet floor in the bunk room and 2nd floor hallway. So far, a good day.

Does anyone know, is there a way to arrange the photos in your albums? You used to be able to do that in ascending or descending order. Now I don't see a way of doing that.

• Like 1

I haven't made time to finish up the roll of film for the Fairfields or started to take pictures of Mildred, since I think the picture features are still in a state of flux.

I went to my local mini store's annual mini yard sale today. Fun! I didn't get a whole lot, but got some neat things. I got some half scale flooring, (wood, tile, and parquet, all for $5), a half scale light, some wallpaper, jewelry findings, crochet Christmas tree, a set of pretty sliver vases, porch posts, and a Millie August Miniatures sofa kit ($5!). Brae posted about finding one a few weeks ago, and I had never heard of these but I loved it, so I was very excited to see this one! I also got a doll, very pretty Victorian lady, for only $8! I have a hard time finding pretty dolls that aren't $50-$100, so I was pretty excited with this one. I don't know where she will live yet though. I already have a family for my Beacon Hill, but she seems to fit in well there, and (y'all will understand this) she matches the wallpaper. I'm wondering if the Peterson's got tired of waiting on their fancy new house back East, and decided to stay out West... And my favorite, is a set of bookends made from a geode, and they were only $8.

They had the most beautiful cathedral there, all wood was cut with a scroll saw, not lasercut. It was amazing looking. And the neatest part, it had a clock in it. It was flat against the back, so you would put it on a shelf, or maybe hang it. I would have loved to have gotten it, my husband even said I could, but it was a bit out of my price range at $595... :( It was certainly worth it though.

Then, this evening, my husband bought me my Mother's Day present, a Bespaq bedroom set! This is the same set that I almost caved and purchased at the Bishop Show, but (luckily) it was already sold (just the bed was $250, dressed). This one was much much cheaper, so I'm very excited.

Maybe this new stuff will get me back motivated... Hoping.