What's everyone working on?

Judith, your brickwork looks amazing even if you are now bald from pulling out your hair while doing it!

Well, my grand plans for painting molding turned into 3 pieces :angry: Although on a positive note, that is 3 more pieces than I did last week so there is a 100% improvement!

Will try again this week :huh:

Spent a bit of time today working on my Spring Fling. Doesn't seem like there is too much left to do on it... until I write a list of all the pidly things left and it keeps going and going and going and going and going and going and going :laughbounce:

It seems I am ♫ at the part that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends, some people started decorating not knowing the whole truth, that you will keep on decorating until you are at the part that never ends....." :music_band:

Cheers for when we can all share that eye candy finally!!! :cheers:

My goodness, have I been gone THAT long!? :lol:

Nice to see everyone's work and read what you've been up to!

Been doing a little work on the Pierce here and there, it's been a busy month in our house and world!

I did manage to lay a hardwood floor in the dining and installed a light on the ceiling in the kitchen and on the front of the house left of the front door.. since then, I've been doing hours of stare repair because I'm overwhelmed and stuck on one detail: how am I going to cover up that "giant" soldering job on the front of the house?

Spent about 4 hours last night staring, on and off, and going through my wood pieces.. I did find a beautifully finished Pierce (I'll insert the link to the pic, it's absolutely outstanding!!!)

The first is a link to the pic of the outside, the second link is to her blog.. if she is on this site, I'd love to talk to her!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cpNFymklFqM/Rp6xkLa7LLI/AAAAAAAABd8/ZdCQaFxxnoA/s1600-h/c12b.JPG

http://smehreen-dollhouse.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archive.html

Anyway, I've been thinking since seeing that link about putting some sort of siding, but I'm just not sure how to go about it.. do I break down and but the pre-made sheet or is it something I can manage with just some lengths of basswood? Which is most economically effective for the size of this house? Do I go all the way up or just "clapboard" the first floor area?

So many options and questions..

Glad to see you all!!! Hope you're all doing well!

(PS: got a little mouse-button happy, forgot to put the links!)

Brae,

Great table. Everything you've ever built is amazing. I don't think there's anything you couldn't accomplish.

Judith,

To be fair, I started with the castle, which only uses mortar for the ramparts and roads. All of the bricks were laid on their flat side up against each other. The first brick and mortar components I ever attempted were the Victorian's foundation pilings. The're only 2" high and I started them after I had been working as a tiling apprentice for over a year, so grouting was the easiest part. They were small and easy to replace if they didn't turn out right.

I always use tile grout and mix it to the consistency of frosting. Apply with a spatula or your finger if you don't mind getting berries (raw fingertips from the abrasive mortar) and work the mortar into the brick at a 45 degree angle. Smooth out the mortar with a sponge using a circular motion and wipe clean at a 45 degree angle across the bricks with a second, clean sponge. Any residue can be cleaned off with sandpaper.

My floors are some of the more tedious projects I don't really look forward to, but I like the end result.

I'm prepping the kitchen windows for their glass panes and installation. The windows are divided into two parts, The large main windows and smaller, square windows above them. Except for the main kitchen window at the sink, the upper windows are only framed boxes meant to give the design consistency (they're actually where the upper cabinets start) What I haven't decided on is whether to just paint the back surface a dark gray, or hang mini curtains inside. I thought about making the curtains from tissue paper, but I don't know how long they would last. I'm looking for a light, thin curtain effect, but I'm not sure what to use. Any suggestions?

I had to make interior oval windows for Mildred's entry so I could finally install the staircase, and it FIT! Next I've begun to work on the kitchen windows, and then I'll play with the interior tower windows downstairs so I can install the tower, finish the second floor landing and start on the spiral stairs kit.

Brae,

Great table. Everything you've ever built is amazing. I don't think there's anything you couldn't accomplish.

Judith,

To be fair, I started with the castle, which only uses mortar for the ramparts and roads. All of the bricks were laid on their flat side up against each other. The first brick and mortar components I ever attempted were the Victorian's foundation pilings. The're only 2" high and I started them after I had been working as a tiling apprentice for over a year, so grouting was the easiest part. They were small and easy to replace if they didn't turn out right.

I always use tile grout and mix it to the consistency of frosting. Apply with a spatula or your finger if you don't mind getting berries (raw fingertips from the abrasive mortar) and work the mortar into the brick at a 45 degree angle. Smooth out the mortar with a sponge using a circular motion and wipe clean at a 45 degree angle across the bricks with a second, clean sponge. Any residue can be cleaned off with sandpaper.

My floors are some of the more tedious projects I don't really look forward to, but I like the end result.

I'm prepping the kitchen windows for their glass panes and installation. The windows are divided into two parts, The large main windows and smaller, square windows above them. Except for the main kitchen window at the sink, the upper windows are only framed boxes meant to give the design consistency (they're actually where the upper cabinets start) What I haven't decided on is whether to just paint the back surface a dark gray, or hang mini curtains inside. I thought about making the curtains from tissue paper, but I don't know how long they would last. I'm looking for a light, thin curtain effect, but I'm not sure what to use. Any suggestions?

Jeremy, you can get very fine gauze material in craft shops or fabric shops - sometimes its in the form of a ribbon for wrapping gifts and that can be good for making blinds provided that its wide enough, you just cut off a length and fix a cocktail stick top and bottom - its not good for pleated or draped curtains but for a flat blind would be perfect for your kitchen. If you want draped curtains then a fine muslin, or cheesecloth or anything that is thin and made of natural fibres will do.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

Judith - I think your brickwork is wonderful. I've only ever done egg carton bricks, but you are right...mortar is messy. I use my fingers to spread it around after I've painted and sealed the carton bricks, and then I gently wash off the excess. With paper, you have to be just as careful not to mar the finish.

I had been off-line for the last week just to do some 'heavy' Spring Flinging.Though I

missed 'yakking' on FB and GL I did get much done.I'm tired,my fingers are sore,I have

moved my project to the Kitchen table instead of my room (and card table)so there's more light.But there's also Bella (Satan's daughter-cat) who thinks I'm making a house for her.

I love this SF kit the best of all!!And I realise how much more I have to do..July 4th,huh??

YIKES!!! :wave:

PS..Oh, and I love the brickwork..maybe I would paint the wood bits a cool color like a dashing red or gold?? And Jeremy- I often thought about tissue curtains..I think it could

work! Otterine....what can I say? Of course that table is wonderful.Thank you for sharing

so many pictures/ideas-sure opens up my mind to the infinite possibilities!!! :giggle:

One of the first things I learned to appreciate using sandpaper bricks is that I got the desired effect WITHOUT mortar! I guess I'll make cafe curtains for the kitchen bay windows today.

Jennifer I love the dog in your avatar! Beautiful!

I am building the RGT 1 Country Lane. I am learning to "bash" the design with limited tools but what fun! Making or printing out almost everything is slow going lately but finally got my old computer running well enough to use my graphics programs. Holly, I am going to try and make my own braided/rag rugs for this house.

Have a nice Memorial Day Weekend and please remember why we celebrate this holiday!

I just noticed this post... Thank you so much! That beautiful beast is Toby, my Tamaskan. That picture is about 6 months old. Here's a more recent one.

05-15-11.pdf

Took a break from spring flinging tonight and I made a couple of table lamps from some filigree beads and stampings that I've been hoarding for the right project. I'm really pleased with the way they turned out, they look like tiffany lamps. May try and age the brass tomorrow - or maybe I'll make another with aged brass.

gallery_4015_4788_6747.jpg

gallery_4015_4788_20528.jpg

I did find a beautifully finished Pierce (I'll insert the link to the pic, it's absolutely outstanding!!!)

The first is a link to the pic of the outside, the second link is to her blog.. if she is on this site, I'd love to talk to her!

http://4.bp.blogspot...1600-h/c12b.JPG

http://smehreen-doll...01_archive.html

WOW! Thanks for posting this link. I love what she's done with this house. Wish I could be more help on the decision making part. I bought some strip siding from HBS awhile ago, not sure if they have it still or not but it was pretty cheap and easy to apply. The strips were thin enough that I was able to cut them with scissors. I used them on my 1:24 Christmas house, (pics. in the gallery) cut in half length wise for the smaller scale. I'd look there and see if anything jumps out at you. Good luck :thumb:

Jo, your lamps turned out great.

Great lamps, Jo! I bought some filigree caps some time ago (and some more at the Bishop show in April) but haven't done anything with them yet.

I finally got the foundation glued to the base board and two walls up on the Spring Fling! :D

I meant to ask, Jo, how you achieved the color on your filigree lampshades?

Nail varnish Holly - don't have much use for it these days as my nails are now crafters' nails. I aged the brass today and they look much better - not so bight and shiny.

gallery_4015_4788_6920.jpg

WOW! Thanks for posting this link. I love what she's done with this house. Wish I could be more help on the decision making part. I bought some strip siding from HBS awhile ago, not sure if they have it still or not but it was pretty cheap and easy to apply. The strips were thin enough that I was able to cut them with scissors. I used them on my 1:24 Christmas house, (pics. in the gallery) cut in half length wise for the smaller scale. I'd look there and see if anything jumps out at you. Good luck :thumb:

Jo, your lamps turned out great.

It's funny you say that! I was poking through the siding options and that is what I wrote down! :lol:

So, that's what I'm going to, I'll just to do it in small batches at a time until it's complete, thanks for the idea, most helpful!

And I'm diggin' those lamps! They're absolutely fantastic! Excellent use of nail polish too! :lol:

I have tons of it just hanging around, never thought of using it for mini'ing!

i've used nail polish for life-size projects, will have to remember that for mini stuff..

you all are awesome, great ideas!

Hello i'm still around :D My Mam has now moved in with me and life is returning to some sort of normality.... :yay:

today i even went into the craft room!!! emptied one of the Beacons and am now planning the bash into a Chateau...huge job as its all dark and gloomy inside :lol:

Popping in now and then to check on whats going on but the site is still so slowwwwwwwwwwwww for me and no uploading of pics no matter what i try...however i'm sure it will work soon :D xxx

Since I'm now on summer hours at work, that means 3 day weekends and more time for miniatures! Yay!

Sooo... I am finishing up the exterior on the Arthur. If I stay focused, I could possibly finish it by tonight. Finished or not, I'll post some updated pics this evening.