What's everyone working on?

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

Judith - I think your brickwork is wonderful. I've only ever done egg carton bricks, but you are right...mortar is messy. I use my fingers to spread it around after I've painted and sealed the carton bricks, and then I gently wash off the excess. With paper, you have to be just as careful not to mar the finish.

Thanks Brae,

I'm actually very pleased with the brickwork, it came out better than I thought it would, but the mortar is quite another story. The front of the house looks great, mortar and all. The chimneys not so much. Although the bricks are fine the finish I sprayed on them is not turning out the way I wanted. I used a spray poly on the front but the second can I used has a satin finish and it's not adhering to the brick the way it did on the front - it looks spotty. I think I'm going to have to try sanding it off and buying the original straight poly to get them to look the same. I'll post some pics of it later today, its very blotchy and truth be told its taken the wind right out of my sails - I haven't touched the house in 5 days and I really need to get back at it.

Took a break from spring flinging tonight and I made a couple of table lamps from some filigree beads and stampings that I've been hoarding for the right project. I'm really pleased with the way they turned out, they look like tiffany lamps. May try and age the brass tomorrow - or maybe I'll make another with aged brass.

Jo, I love your lamps you always make the most wonderful accessories. I wish my hands were as steady as yours are for painting things so small. Great work! :thumb:

Has anyone noticed that the totals on the posts are not changing? In just the last few pages I've made several post ans noticed that my posts seem to stuck at 644. So I looked at the posts of others, and yours all seem to be stuck as well, what's going on with that?

Now mine have all changed to 645 - this is weird.

Thank you so much Judith, I'm making a ceiling lamp at the moment, similar in style but with beading. My grandaughter tried to help tonight (she's 4) so we didn't get too far but she had a good try bless her.

Went out in all this heat to the paint store to pick up some more poly spray. Here's the picture of the difference between the front wall and the chimney. I almost kinda don't mind it, it sorta makes the bricks look like old weathered bricks, but since I'm not doing this for myself (I wouldn't mind so much - it adds character) I feel like I have to make it look new all over because it's for a child. You can see where it's kinda "hit and miss" on a lot of the bricks even though it is coated with poly it just didn't stick.

Well I'll be danged! I just realized what the problem is with the bricks...I forgot to pre-spray it with the poly BEFORE I put on the mortar. I presprayed with the facade and did not have these problems. Chalk this one up to "pilot error" :plane: guess that's what I get for trying to rush through it. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

Since I'm now on summer hours at work, that means 3 day weekends and more time for miniatures! Yay!

Sooo... I am finishing up the exterior on the Arthur. If I stay focused, I could possibly finish it by tonight. Finished or not, I'll post some updated pics this evening.

We started our summer hours this week as well, love having Fridays off! Had grand plans for getting things done on an extra day off. Then last week silly me decided to sign up to volunteer every Friday. (There is a Presidential campaign headquartered literally less than 10 minutes from my house, and I have a friend on the campaign, it would be silly to pass up such an opportunity!) So, still no 3 day weekends for me, but I'll still be able to sleep in a little later.

Good luck Kathryn on your Fridays!

Judith, your bricks are looking great, glad you figured out what was different on the chimney, hope you can fix it like you like it.

And Jo, those lamps are awesome!! :)

Tracy, is that the Herman Cain campaign you are volunteering for? How cool!

I didn't take any new pics yet. I didn't get as much done as I hoped. I had to go grocery shopping and that wears me out. I did get my trim all painted up and started on my roof design, so I will definitely have a photo for tomorrow. It's just too dark to get a nice pic.

Judith, I think your bricks look good both ways. You did a nice job with them.

I can't wait to see everyone's Spring Fling, I think I get more enjoyment out of reading that thread than I would if I actually built one myself.

Tracy, is that the Herman Cain campaign you are volunteering for? How cool!

I didn't take any new pics yet. I didn't get as much done as I hoped. I had to go grocery shopping and that wears me out. I did get my trim all painted up and started on my roof design, so I will definitely have a photo for tomorrow. It's just too dark to get a nice pic.

Judith, I think your bricks look good both ways. You did a nice job with them.

I can't wait to see everyone's Spring Fling, I think I get more enjoyment out of reading that thread than I would if I actually built one myself.

Yes, actually it is Herman Cain! And it is way cool. I'm also going to be able to get my son to help some this summer too. What a great experience for both of us! Even if you're not too much into politics, as I'm not really that much. He lives around the corner, and in the same neighborhood as many of my kids' friends. Oh, and I also found out that his grandchildren go to the same school as my boys. Funny, that whole small world thing.

Can't wait to see your pictures. :)

I got the Beacon Hill staircase completely finished today!! Yippee! Installed and all trimmed and everything! And I only had 1 piece left over when it was all said and done... It's about time, it's only been built for a year.

I'll get some pictures up later this weekend when I get all the clamps and tape off. It's such a pretty staircase.

Congratulations Tracy! I was able to get almost all the shingles done on my Vermont Jr. The bay window wasn't as hard as I thought it would be although it's far from perfect. Will try to post some pics later; super long day for me, I need a nap :sleep_1:

Got quite a bit of work done over the last couple of days. Attached most of the exterior window trim on the first and second floors. Still have to add the sills and do some touch up painting, but the most tedious part is finished, Got the siding painted. Polyed the front door, got it attached and installed the first lights out side the door. Now I get to move inside for a while and put up an interior wall and some interior window and door trim.

I don't have any new pics to add, but I finally built and installed the range hood/vent in the kitchen. I also finished building the kitchen windows. The kitchen is still a separate, modular component at the moment, but will be ready for installation within the week. That only leaves the dining room and front exterior wall to finish before I can start work on the 2nd floor.

This is the first time I'll try this with this new website...

but I've finished a little roombox that I'm giving to my sister-in-law. This is the one who visits all the thrift stores and finds stuff for me...

unfortunately most of which isn't to scale, but she did find the Tennyson, and in this little roombox are the doll, the wagon, and a cat she found.

The box started out as a supposedly one day project at a NAME Wisconsin Day. I don't know how they expected us to be able to finish it in one day! There was very little room to work; glue has to dry, paint has to dry, brick mortar has to dry, etc! Anyway, I brought home the parts, set it aside...and now, 2 years later, took it back out and finished it! :)

post-35-0-45088500-1307962737_thumb.jpg

Actually, not doing very much -- real life keeps butting in --

BUT, I did finally get Evan (the handsome dude!) and grandmother MayBelle wigged and dressed. I like the Sandy Calderon kits and I am looking over her creations for others. I did buy these kits from MiniKitz not Sandy directly.

Evan and MayBelle pictures posted in another thread and in my Gallery.

B)