My white orchid...is broke

Color Me Holly

Last weekend I went to Boise. I let Mike stay here with the girls since his place is a couch at someones house. Anyway I have been working on my white orchid. When I came home it looked like this:

post-19-1238700513_thumb.jpgpost-19-1238700504_thumb.jpg

Turns out he had friends over who had a baby that pushed it off the table. What was the baby doing on the table unsupervised? No offer to fix it, get replacement parts if available, nothing other than maybe I should have put it up. It was put up right where I wanted it.

I was waiting for the weather to warm up to paint the trim outside. I used superglue to put it together. Where it broke took out some chunks, it will go back together but the breaks are going to be seen. Especially on the roof. The theme I have for this house is ice. Any ideas?

How rude! I'd say visit those 'friends' and shove something off their table, stating it shouldn't be there. Well, probably that's not a good idea, but I sure would feel the urge to do so.

Sadly I have no advice to offer for repairs (newbie here), only sympathy.

If the theme is ice, perhaps some extra drops of glue after it's put together? You could make little patterns with glue all over the top, maybe even sprinkle some glitter while the glue is wet. Make it look like water was dripping down the roof and just froze there?

I wish I had a better answer for you than that.

OOOh this mad me mad and it isnt even my house! :) I am very sorry but as I read this I looked at my ice and it is full of lines so maybe you can use that to make it look more realistic? Maybe even add some more to look as if they are supposed to be there? Sorry I cant be of real help :thumb:

Holly-

I'm a newbie to the hobby too...but I think there's a lot of experience that will get you through it. I was thinking of some type of filler, once you've glued it back to gether and then repainting it white again.

My thoughts were with Marianne...lol...going to visit the friends and finding a nice piece of china or crystal that just shouldn't have been sitting so "low" where it could've easily been bumped and broken. rflmao...

Bre

How about that snow stuff that comes in a bag that they sell at Christmas time? Maybe somebody has some laying around. That would go with the *Ice* theme and cover the boo-boos.

Snow is what I was going to suggest. There are snow-like paints you can buy. I have used them to put snow on my ceramic Christmas houses. Make some drifts on the roof, and down over the broken areas. Other than that-send Mike to the sofa at someone else's house when you're gone!

How about that snow stuff that comes in a bag that they sell at Christmas time? Maybe somebody has some laying around. That would go with the *Ice* theme and cover the boo-boos.

Or the spray-on snow? They should have it at a party store, I would think.

I am very sorry but as I read this I looked at my ice and it is full of lines so maybe you can use that to make it look more realistic? Maybe even add some more to look as if they are supposed to be there? Sorry I cant be of real help :thumb:

I was gonna try making icicles with clear silicon, but I don't know if I could make it run under the gable and have it look like ice

Holly, were you going to finish the roof with anything (Shingles or anything)? What s the Theme of the house?

I didn't plan on it, but I have been brain storming. I am not sure what will stick to the surface. I am going to use white caulk where the part meet up. The theme is ice and the colors are blue, white and silver.

Snow is what I was going to suggest. There are snow-like paints you can buy. I have used them to put snow on my ceramic Christmas houses. Make some drifts on the roof, and down over the broken areas. Other than that-send Mike to the sofa at someone else's house when you're gone!

I have some snowtex I will have to see if it will stick to the surface on a scrap piece.

I look for the spray stuff too.

I got one Idea if you show the cracks and make look like the ice is cracking? You could do that on other parts as well, ice does crack after all. . .

You can take the scrap frames and use a bandsaw to cut strips. Glue them at all the seams. I used them to cover the slot and tabs on the sides, the inside gaps at the dormers, the back trim on the floors.

To make icicles, you could use a piece of string and dip it in resin (like you would to make a candle) and apply that to the house. Most caulk stays soft.

I would forbid any guests if you have him stay again.

How about spray flec paint? It comes in white with blueish, or red specs in it. I think it would do a great job of covering the crack, and especially the blue speckled one would look like Winter sparkling snow. Best of luck fixing it up. I'm sure it will look great no matter what you decide to camouflage with.

Every time I see havanaholly's name I think "Spackle" automatically. I can't visualize exactly where the crack will be from your pictures, but wonder if you couldn't drag a thin coat of spackle all the way across the entire roof using a putty knife or something similar to disguise the crack. Then, when you use the spray snow and/or silicon to make ice/snow on the roof, if the coat of spackle wasn't perfectly flat in spots it wouldn't be noticed.

I'm probably "all wet" with this response :) being a newbie, but had to offer something since I feel so bad for you! I'd like to be added to the list of those who would like to push him off the table.

I'm sorry your house got broke. The WO being made of a type of plastic will present some unusual problems in trying to fix a hole or chunk. Right now I have no suggestions other than glue it back the best you can then post a picture so we can see the problem better. The snow thingy may be the best way to go.

White stucco works too, it is strong as anything (OK like cement!) and holds up well and can be painted white and glitter added. As for the "friends?" Dump em! Feed em something yummy! Take them cookies made from X-lax.....