What's everyone working on?

Sable, do you know if NAME still holds shows in different cities across the US and still puts out a magazine?

Yes, they do. There one here in Seattle next summer, being held at the DoubleTree near the airport. I just signed up to be a vendor. And, yes, they still have a magazine also.

Trying my hand at building a chimney.  The owner of the Ellwanger House is planning on picking it up soon....and I thought I was ok with just keeping the single chimney and covering the spot where the second one had gone missing.  Well, after a conversation with her the other day, I realized that she, in fact, was expecting the house to have BOTH chimneys.  *sigh*  Ok - so I am off to build a chimney!  Never done this before, so we'll see how well I will be able to duplicate the original one!

Sable, do you know if NAME still holds shows in different cities across the US and still puts out a magazine?

You will be happy to know that their next show/convention will be in Seattle next year. I believe that's the only show they have. All members get 6 issues of the Gazette each year. 

Also, check into Home Advisor. You tell the site what carpentry work you want done and within minutes local carpenters start calling you.  

http://www.homeadvisor.com

Have you ever seen the TV show Tiny Houses. They have some great stair/ladder solutions.

Edited by Sable

The last Greenleaf kit I purchased was back around 1985 or so. It was a half scale Garfield. I got as far as gluing it together, and then was told by a dollhouse shop that I'd never be able to find or afford half scale miniatures to fill it. I was so discouraged that I put it in the garage and forgot about it for years. If it was the me I am today back then, I would have flipped the lady the bird and told her I'm make stuff myself. ;0)

Very long story short (if you are at all curious you can read My Mini Journey story here: http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/p/my-mini-journey.html ), and the point to this post, is that...

I Just Purchased not 1 but 2 Greenleaf kits!!!

Now, my house is pretty filled up with 3 large houses already, plus a roombox 75% complete. So I went with 2 of the Asahi Teahouse kits because I can fit them side by side on one of my livingroom's built in shelves. I designed and ordered 3D lamps, wall sculpture and a headboard using TinkerCad (https://www.tinkercad.com.  I am having them printed by Shapeways (https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=1%3A12, so I am thinking the kits will become the little Alki Point project that's been in my head for a long time. Alki is an amazing jut of land that stretches into Puget Sound here in the Seattle area, and where we mostly raised our kids. The views are breathtaking!

I am going to try a bid of modern on this one. It'll be my first! The tab and slot style might as well be my first, since it's been 30 years since I glued the Garfield! If anyone can point me in the direction of tab and slot 101, I'd be very grateful!

I may just have to bump my Three Little Pigs: Revenge project behind this one because I am so excited! In any case, I better get moving on finishing up the Retirement Barn!

If you want to see the 3D stuff I made just visit my blog at the link below.

Yes, they do. There one here in Seattle next summer, being held at the DoubleTree near the airport. I just signed up to be a vendor. And, yes, they still have a magazine also.

So, next summer 2016, right? Going to go to that one, no matter what mountain has to be blown up and moved! Thank you CJ and Sable!

Hey Kelly, can you trade your sofa for a loveseat or a recliner..that would give you more room...

I could, but I'm not going to. I love my sofa. It's 7 ft long, has 6 removable overstuffed cushions, a cream color with with rolled arms and an embossed rose design. It was the first thing I bought when I sold my house and should have been saving money. It's the first sofa I've ever owned and it would look beautiful in either a shabby chic setting or in a log cabin. I'll get rid of the bed first and sleep in my car if I have to.

Well, today was interesting. I had recently bought a dining room set with 6 chairs. One of the chairs didn't match the others - apparently it got mixed up with another dining room set and wasn't noticed, because the cushions were the same color. So a couple of weeks ago, I found a matching chair on eBay and bought it. It had a different cushion, so I decided to switch cushions. The one on the new chair came off fine, and then it was time to remove the one on the unmatched chair. Ten minutes later I have the cushion in hand and am looking at the bottom of the chair. It had a label on it that said "Toys from Roy" C#122 Host Chair $40, and it was in about 8 pieces. :doh:

So, next summer 2016, right? Going to go to that one, no matter what mountain has to be blown up and moved! Thank you CJ and Sable!

NAME Convention "Welcome to my Garden"  July 17-24, 2016
Double Tree by Hilton Seattle Airport;  18740 International Boulevard; Seattle, WA 98188
Registration opens January 29, 2016  See Gazette or Webpage for Forms

This time I am going also!  

Well, my first try at working with the Magic-Ston stuff was a complete fail.  I think I may have had the mixture too firm because when I lifted the pattern most of the mixture went with it!  :doh:   Guess I will give it another try tonite....

The house was originally a Hofco Americana house. It was already 49 1/2" long and 27" deep when I got it.

I will look forward to seeing your latest photos - especially now that I will be getting a Hofco Americana for my collection!  :cucumber:  It may end up being another year before I have the time to start building it, but mostly I am concerned with where-the-heck-am-I-gonna-put-it!!??   LOL

Well, my first try at working with the Magic-Ston stuff was a complete fail.  I think I may have had the mixture too firm because when I lifted the pattern most of the mixture went with it!  :doh:   Guess I will give it another try tonite....

I will look forward to seeing your latest photos - especially now that I will be getting a Hofco Americana for my collection!  :cucumber:  It may end up being another year before I have the time to start building it, but mostly I am concerned with where-the-heck-am-I-gonna-put-it!!??   LOL

JB - try using less mix on the sticker, as well. Less is more with Magic Systems and it still looks great! I know it says to peel off the sticker right away, but I usually leave mine on for a few minutes. It seems to allow the weight of the liquid to sink and make the top layer more firm. Good luck with it!

as usual full steam ahead without thinking it through makes for a complete stop...I have the lil house in the globe started but had to stop because

A...didnt know the lights would go in so early...

B not sure how to attach said lights to the roof?? glue? what kind?

C...before I go to all that trouble shouldnt I actually have the batteries for said lights to make sure they work before installing??

sure makes starting the taft all the more enticing!!....

now that I feel a bit recuperated after my day at the mini Time machine visit with Deb in Tuscon...which BTW if you are ever that way is a HAVE to see magical place!

we were super fortunate to be guided by our own sweet and talented Casey and Tessa and their friend Joan...we made 3 trips around the place and I know I could have done it a couple more times and still missed stuff! FABULOUS!!! the only house Brooke Tucker ever built is housed there along with a wonderful conservatory by Lady Jane....some early works by the Lady who commissioned the Thorne rooms and a Mark Turpin which had Deb in the droolsies.....it was a great day but now back to the land of my niche....

I am going to start dressing the Chantilly and then I will get her pack up for her long and arduous trip to Ohio!

Mike6 Im glad you are ok! and do please take care of yourself...its Thursday and the grans will be here tomorrow for the weekend...not sure what we will do as I will be sewing my daughter into Morticia...hahahahahaha...huggs all!

:batman:

..... now that I feel a bit recuperated after my day at the mini Time machine visit with Deb in Tuscon...which BTW if you are ever that way is a HAVE to see magical place!

we were super fortunate to be guided by our own sweet and talented Casey and Tessa and their friend Joan...we made 3 trips around the place and I know I could have done it a couple more times and still missed stuff! FABULOUS!!! the only house Brooke Tucker ever built is housed there along with a wonderful conservatory by Lady Jane....some early works by the Lady who commissioned the Thorne rooms and a Mark Turpin which had Deb in the droolsies.....it was a great day but now back to the land of my niche....

Okay, I really, really green with envy now. First you get to play with Deb somewhat regularly and now you got to go to the Time museum, with Deb and with Casey? I'm dying here way out in the boondocks with no one who gives a fig about minis within, not just miles, but states!!!! I wanna have a play date too! 

No, seriously I'm SO happy that all of you can do this. It's so cool. Thanks for posting about it.

Please tell Deb how much I miss her. sniffle, sniffle Wish she'd give us an update. 

• Like 1

Since I have very tall ceilings, I thought of building a platform for my sofa and putting the bed underneath it, but I don't know of anyone who can build that. So I may eventually be forced to get a loft bed, which I really don't want because I don't want to be climbing a ladder all the time. I think lofting the sofa makes much more sense. I don't need to stand on the bed and I would only be sitting on the sofa, so I don't need more than 4 feet of headroom there, either. Now if I could just find, or be able to afford, a carpenter.......

You could have a double-decker couch like the one in the Lego movie!

Hopefully by next month - the house is almost finished. Not primed or anything yet, but just completed being sawn on except for the basement. I think one more weekend will see it done.

I'm in!

Me too! I'd love to meet the miniaturists in the area!

Taking names, taking names.....

You could have a double-decker couch like the one in the Lego movie!

I want this! But with my sofa underneath.

562aa110aaa19_Kids_Bedroom_Old_Fashioned

• Like 2

Hopefully by next month - the house is almost finished. Not primed or anything yet, but just completed being sawn on except for the basement. I think one more weekend will see it done.

Taking names, taking names.....

I want this! But with my sofa underneath.

562aa110aaa19_Kids_Bedroom_Old_Fashioned

What a cute idea! Did you see my message about Homeadvisors?  Look at Ikea for the cabinets. You could build them yourself with the help of a Day Laborer. I've done that a few times.  

• Like 1