What's everyone working on?

Hi Everybody!

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful ideas, dreams and talents! It's wonderful to read here - I feel like I have found my own people!

I have kind of stalled out on my barn project. I was working on the garage, and just kind of petered out. Instead, I have spent the allotted mini-ing time working on designs for 3D printed modern lamps. I don't have a modern dollhouse yet, or even plans for one yet, but it's keeping me out of trouble.

Images below, suggestions appreciated!

hip_to_be_sq_lamp_Set_photo_only.jpg

Social-Light lamp photo only.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Lawanda! Good to see you! The minions want their own Outback Steakhouse, so I am turning the Greenleaf Village schoolhouse into a restaurant....but do any of them lift a finger to help?! Actually I think they're pretty much one solid piece so maybe I'm expecting too much....;)

I just spent a gift certificate at HBS on supplies for my next micro project. Did I tell y'all about that certificate? My boss had asked me to work extra hours at the State Fair, because someone else "didn't feel like it".  I asked if she was going to bribe me. Her answer was that she was sick and couldn't do it herself, and her kids needed attention - and "I thought if I whined a little you'd do it for me" .  (she's a fun boss!)  Of course I said yes (which pushed me into overtime pay!).  Turns out she did bribe me, after the fact, with a $50 eGift card at HBS.  :cucumber:

I'm planning a more elaborate micro scene this time, involving 2 houses, some boats, and a waterfall. Itching to get started but first have to get going on inventory for a craft show next week. One nice thing about my job, with the long hours at a County Fair, many of those hours are just manning the booth when there are no customers. I carry a notebook with me because somehow in those empty hours my mini-brain kicks in with all sorts of ideas.  For the craft shows I got a brainstorm for a little mouse-house.  I'll share pix when I put it together - unless, of course, it went into the trash can!  

• Like 2

I'm working on finishing up the screened porch from Nebraska State Day and my shop window from NAME Day. I'd like to have one of those done by Tuesday, since that's when I'm having coffee with a friend. She writes feature stories for the local paper and wants to do one on miniatures. :) I should be able to get quite a bit done tonight while we're doing the overnight shift at the homeless shelter.

I have the creatin' contest kit, but was feeling stressed at the thought of doing it well enough and by the deadline. There's some family drama going on and the "you must do this project now and do it perfectly!" feeling was too much on top of that. So, that's on the back burner. Once I get these little projects done, I'll be starting the DC Bellingham that my oldest niece picked out. She wants it to be pink and teal. Good thing I've been collecting pink scrapbook papers. :)

And a helpful hint for today: Instead of trying to step over a mini work kit that has dental tools in it, pick it up first. Then you'll avoid jabbing one of the said dental tools into your leg and looking like a horror flick victim whilst your spouse tries to stop the bleeding. :doh:

• Like 1

Oh Maria! At first I laughed, and then I felt your pain - literally, because last Sunday I did something with an Xacto knife that you should never do. You really don't realize how much you use the end of your thumb until there's a nice, deep slice in it! 

I am going to clean up my dining room now...

• Like 2

Today was supposed to be a big build day. I was planning to finish assembling the porch/gable for the Orchid. Got the porch rails, posts/grill, and porch ceiling all glued and taped together. Whew! While it was drying, I decided to dry fit the rest of the gable...didn't fit. At all. Quickly pulled the whole thing apart, then decided to go for the gable fit first, then deal with the porch bits later. I did get the gable and porch ceiling on, but now the posts are too short???!!! At least it's level and square, so I'll have to figure out the posts another day.

I cut and painted a few other bits of trim, and got the bay window glued on, so that was some progress.

I predict a lot of putty and sanding tomorrow.   

Put the Orchid aside for the time being and have started on the 1/2 scale, laser cut,  Greenleaf lighthouse. Want to get a head start as it's a Christmas gift for my daughter for Christmas. Wow, the material is much better and the cutting is pretty accurate. One thing though, the instructions leave a lot to be desired. Very few illustrations or directions for a large portion of the build. Does anyone know if there's a "redo" of the instructions available?

Put the Orchid aside for the time being and have started on the 1/2 scale, laser cut,  Greenleaf lighthouse. Want to get a head start as it's a Christmas gift for my daughter for Christmas. Wow, the material is much better and the cutting is pretty accurate. One thing though, the instructions leave a lot to be desired. Very few illustrations or directions for a large portion of the build. Does anyone know if there's a "redo" of the instructions available?

Don't Think there is any other instructions, I have built the 1¨scale version of the lighthouse so might be able to either have captured the process of build when taking pics or perhaps can help anyway.

hoooray!:cheer:

The Chantilly is a finished build....tonight I touched up all those places I touched with stain on my fingers installing the last bits to the back...sigh...now to fill it

I ended up using gesso and regular craft paint on the ooogly green plaid living room furniture I painted it a periwinkle and then I sponge painted it with a cream...it looks cheerful and bright and the fabric still felt like fabric and no flaking of the paint...so yay:happydance:

tonight I took bunka and clothed two plastic babies...one for each girl...they came out sooooo cute...I have to do one for ME! and get more bunka colors....

funny story bout that bunka...found it several weeks ago and put it in my fabric box.....when I went to get it...not there so I spent 2 hours sorting alll the boxes under my 3 tables looking for it and cleaning as I went...I like to clean and reorganise after each build anyway...keeps the chaos in check(ish) so after all that work I had a clean and swept niche but still NO bunka....guess where I found it??? YUP in the fabric box.:bangin:...sigh...guess it was just meant for me to clean my niche today!  tomorrow I am going to make a video of the tp/paint stucco effect for my SIL so she can see how to do this for a house she is doing...she lives in Alabama...still havent figured out exactly how to do it but Im sure I will...

after that its the house in a globe project...I had hoped to purchase and build the last  of the 3 village kits for my Christmas Village but maybe next yr...I am ready to start my taft build....it gets louder each day and while cleaning and sorting today I filled a box with all kinds of goodies for it....Happy Sunday all and mini on!!:batman:

• Like 2

Nutti it is such a wonderful build, love the colours! I know the story of trying and looking for something you "know" is supposed to be in one spot.... Then after a few hours or so of rummaging around it will appear just where you thought it was suppose to be...

Hugs

Edited by Anna
  • Like 1

Maria & Linda, in my workshop I get to stop my own bleeding.  Instructions, Art?  When I built that little rascally 1:24 lighthouse it built itself and was together before I remembered how I had wanted to bash it for an interior stairway!

• Like 2

Don't Think there is any other instructions, I have built the 1¨scale version of the lighthouse so might be able to either have captured the process of build when taking pics or perhaps can help anyway.

Mostly not sure about the install of the outside trim pieces and such.

Mostly not sure about the install of the outside trim pieces and such.

Maria & Linda, in my workshop I get to stop my own bleeding.  Instructions, Art?  When I built that little rascally 1:24 lighthouse it built itself and was together before I remembered how I had wanted to bash it for an interior stairway!

Well, maybe when I've built as many as you, mine will start building themselves too! (-;

was unable to find the tripod to aid in making a video so my SIL used our tablets and vidchatted and I just showed her how to do do the tp/paint method...

and I used the Orchid that the grandaughter and my daughters niece started together so now it is one step closer to being ready to give to the niece for Christmas

I am going to paint the inside white and stain all the windows and doors and put the windows together as well as the stairs but not install anything...she really wanted to build it herself...but we cant get together so I will get it as far as I think she can finish herself... make notes for each part and shingle the roof for her...

although I will be working on one of the globe houses first I have already dug the Taft out from under my bed...it stands at the ready for its turn on my work table....

And just when I thought my house couldn't get any larger, I decided to add a basement to it. Remember when I added a laundry room with a half bath in it and it became a laundry room and a mud room? Then I added a pantry to the both of them? Well, then I decided to enlarge the mudroom and that meant I had to take out the half bath in the laundry room. Well, the half bath is back and the pantry has moved....downstairs.

I decided to take the pantry and split it in two. One side will be the half bath and the other side will be the staircase to the basement. I finished that up this afternoon. So now when you open the little door, you see the staircase (there's no staircase right now, just a stairwell opening cut into the floor and let me tell how much fun THAT was!).

After you go downstairs, you will be in the large(r) pantry. To the right, under the laundry room/mudroom, will be a wine cellar. To the left, going past the pantry, will be a room and a half (under the dining room and the entry). That is the new dog room with dog crates, a grooming table, and a raised bathtub. Just past that will be the little dog office with a desk to keep track of all the show entries and stuff like that. Past the dog room will be the telescope room (under the living room). I will have 2 or 3 telescopes in there, plus astronomy books, star charts on the wall and stuff of that nature. Past the telescope room will be the dollhouse room, where I (OK, the virtual me) will build my mini dollhouses. That will be under the sun room.

I added what I thought would be a half bath under the main staircase, but it wasn't visible at all, so now it's a coat closet. So the guest half bath goes upstairs under the second floor staircase. I think. It's a pretty tight space.

I decided to leave out the wall between the living room and the entry hall, so basically, I now no longer have a first floor hallway. But with the coat closet, I have a dandy little entry. The 3rd floor room that I thought would be my dollhouse room (the doorway was a narrow door - who was I kidding to think I could fit a dollhouse, however mini, through that doorway?) will now be a guest bedroom and I'm trying to think of some way to fit a bathroom under the 3rd floor gable.

If I can do that, then this house will end up having 3 bedrooms, three full baths, 2 half baths, a living room, a sun room, a dining room, a kitchen, a laundry room, a mudroom, a library, a sleeping porch, an entry, 2 center halls, and an attic, plus a downstairs pantry, wine cellar, dog room, telescope room, and dollhouse room. Oh, yeah, and a coat closet. LOL

Do you think maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew?

• Like 3

Kelly, your plans sound wonderful. I love houses where a lot is going on. But telescopes in the basement? Will there be a viewing area (trapdoor?) in the attic for their use? I can't imagine the view from the basement would be very good. :D

Kelly, your plans sound wonderful. I love houses where a lot is going on. But telescopes in the basement? Will there be a viewing area (trapdoor?) in the attic for their use? I can't imagine the view from the basement would be very good. :D

Thank you, Kathie! The telescope room will have a walk out door. In my imagination, a car can pull up to the door so the telescope can be loaded (and dollhouses can be unloaded LOL) to be brought to a viewing site. In real life, a very large telescope would have an observatory built for it in the backyard, but most people can't afford that or they live where there are too many lights. So most amateur astronomers have a telescope that gets loaded in the car (or van, or truck, or on a trailer) and they get brought to a dark site for viewing once a month during the new moon. Other times telescopes are brought out to parks and schools for public star parties. Telescopes are a lot like horses: if you want to use them, you gotta haul them someplace.

Kathie, I was wondering the same thing.  Kelly, where in your RL living space do you work on this monster?

Well, right now my friend Lisa has a small room where she has her dollhouse and a big table for mine. The plan was when mine was (finally) finished being sawn on, we'd prime it and move it to my rented room and I'd bring back a smaller house and we could work on our dollhouses together.

I rent a room about 11 x 12 and with a 7 ft sofa against one wall and a bed against the other wall, I only have about 4 ft of space between them. I thought I would get a sofa table and put it against the wall crosswise between the sofa and the bed. I'm looking for a sofa table with legs about 3 to 4 ft apart and the top of the sofa table can overhang the end of the sofa. Then I'll get a large base and let that overhang the rest of the sofa (and maybe the end of my bed - just my feet go there). Then when the dollhouse comes home, it can go on the base.

I was thinking of putting the dollhouse lengthwise between the sofa and bed, but that would leave me with about 6" of floor space. And somehow I don't think it would meet the fire code. Here they tend to frown upon having wall to wall furniture, literally, where you can't see the floor.

Since I have very tall ceilings, I thought of building a platform for my sofa and putting the bed underneath it, but I don't know of anyone who can build that. So I may eventually be forced to get a loft bed, which I really don't want because I don't want to be climbing a ladder all the time. I think lofting the sofa makes much more sense. I don't need to stand on the bed and I would only be sitting on the sofa, so I don't need more than 4 feet of headroom there, either. Now if I could just find, or be able to afford, a carpenter.......

You guys laugh.....there's a house on Craig's List right now that's the front opening Houseworks Victorian with the bay window. There's a price of $50 on on it and if it's still there next month, I'm eyeing that......maybe I can put it on my dresser. That would make 2 large dollhouses, a large roombox, and the Arthur in my little room, plus a trailer kit and another dollhouse kit under the sofa. I just realized something. I'm the crazy cat lady of dollhouses!

• Like 1

Kelly - Please say you have photos posted somewhere! I wanna see!!

Also, do you happen to be related to the Winchester mansion family? That would explain the constant construction! 

What was the original kit that you started with?

I don't have any real current photos, just some of the house when I got it and part way through construction. My camera gave out on me and I was going to get a new one this month, but a $300 car bill sort of took care of that. Maybe next month. And I took down my gallery because the 2nd page of pictures wasn't showing and so many of the pictures there didn't really apply because I had changed the house again! But I will try to get some pics up soon in my gallery.

I'm not related to the Winchester family, but what's funny is, I lived in San Jose for 25 years and never did visit the Winchester Mystery House. Go figure.

The house was originally a Hofco Americana house. It was already 49 1/2" long and 27" deep when I got it.

• Like 2

Now that I have the instructions for the NAME day project, it's pretty much assembled. Now looking for that elusive inspiration on what to do with it.

Sable, do you know if NAME still holds shows in different cities across the US and still puts out a magazine?