What's everyone working on?

I shared a photo last night of my house with the porch rails and roof in dry fit, and today I got them glued on:

I have a bit of a dilemma I'd love some advice on. I mentioned it above, but I think I didn't explain it very well well. Here's a photo of the left side of my house for reference:

You see how the eaves are nice and even on both sides, with an overhang on the back as well as the front? Well, I'm thinking I may need to amputate that little overhang on the back. If I leave everything as is (and don't attach the front stairs, which is my plan) this house is just a hair over 24 inches wide. The problem is that I'm building it in my RL basement, and the only way out of said basement is up a staircase that's just under 24 inches wide. Overall, I think it would be smart to get the dollhouse down to 23 inches in width -- and I can do that if I just cut off that left hand overhang. You won't be able to see it from the front, you won't notice from the back, but I'm concerned it will look a little sad and uneven in the side view like this.

What do you think? Will I regret doing this every time I look at the house from the side, or should I just go for it, as it's such a simple solution to make sure the house can actually be moved after construction is complete?

Tilting the house should get it through the doorway.

I started installing the real slate roof tiles on the Pool House. While at Ron's my husband insisted I put copper flashing in the valleys; the jury is still out on this idea. It's a little more complicated than I anticipated. Already wasted half the roll.

Eventhough it might be complicated and al Sable, I bet it iwill look amazing when you are done with it.

As for me, I have grouted the cellar/basement floor in the lighthouse and it is now drying. After that is done it is only the walls left to work on. I will probably add paperclay to them as well, love the way one can add texture to it.

Hugs

Which local schools offer art classes?  I wish you lived closer, Sue; I could teach you washes & dry brushing.  But you'll have to leave your snow and sleet at home I don't want any.

Holly I had not thought of classes! I dont know what might be available but I'm going to look into that. If we lived closer I would be knocking on your door for all sorts of mini lessons. I couldn't imagine the learning experience from someone in person. Thank goodness for you tube, blogs, and GL.

P.S.Yesterday was 20deg. This morning at 630am its already 43deg, wind blowing and im hearing chunks of ice falling off the house. It is supposed to get near 60 today with lots of rain. I don't see how that doesn't bring a tornado threat. It is just bizarre weather. I am ready for Spring.

The bucket bench is dry, just need to spray on some matte finish. It looks like a settle when photographed alone, so here it is next to my 1:12 settle. 

I had a couple of different ideas for the paint, and went with the "many years of gentle wear and tear" option.

res_zpsrjrbsscz.jpg

• Like 2

Still working on my music school.  The little piano I ordered months ago finally arrived yesterday, I just love it!   I managed to get the bashed second floor in and it looks pretty good if I do say so.  I have a lot of holes and spaces to fill in for sure.  I always feel a bit excited when my build starts to look like something.   I have a lot of trim to paint but I am pleased this little house is coming along nicely.  :)

Real life has gotten in the way of minis again but one major dr appointment is done now and I'm itching to get back into the studio.  In the meantime, I had to pop in here and share one of my steampunk inspiration pictures.  <chuckling>  Okay, so it's short on inspiration but long on giggles and everyone could use a little cute.

kitten.jpg

The real inspiration came yesterday in the form of a package with a return address that made my heart swell as I hugged it to my chest.  It was a box full of mini-love from Terri (smallhouset).  It came with a parchment scroll addressed to Sarah Ann of Wise Ways Emporium from an amazing mini adventurer who bequeathed his collection of magickal wonders and discoveries to her for her research room.  And oh the treasures within!!!  There's a baby dragon in a cast iron cage and a mounted dragon head and oh so many books and potions and scrolls and signs and a fabulous table made of a skeleton and little skeletons displayed in domes and the coolest little skellie jack-in-the-box and skellie rag doll.  Sarah Ann, Percutio, and Maharet are clamoring at me to hurry up and bring them to Wise Ways (I'll take pictures to share after that) but right now I'm just too enthralled to move them from the laptop stand where I can see them every minute.  I can't find the words to express how much love there is here in every little item because Terri knew I was going thru a rough time and she reached out to me in the way she knew would bring me comfort and joy.  How wonderfully blessed are we to be a part of this mini community where friendships and family bonds run so deeply?  I'm a little overwhelmed with emotion when I realize how much love has come into my life simply because I took a right turn on the internet one day and ended up here.  

• Like 5

After the smile at the kitten and wiping a tear for the rest of Deb's post I am thoroughly enjoying a day playing with The Farmhouse (aka Washington 2.0).  I got the chair parts traced onto cardboard for templates and cut out and traced onto the birch plywood.  I didn't allow for kerf, so took a couple of hours and blades with the utility knife to cut the big pieces apart.  I came in to take some oil and paper towels out to the shop to clean the scroll saw and install a blade so I can cut out chair parts.  Meanwhile wile I was in I grabbed my bargello book and dug in the floss stash and I'll trace around one of the card seat pieces so later I can stitch covers for the chair seats.  I just love making itty furniture!

I have also spent an hour bricking the foundation, which is beginning to look like I thought it would.

• Like 2

While taking a wood shop class at our local night school, we learned about the importance of penciling an arrow in the direction away from the cut-line to allow for the kerf. In other words, after you mark your cut line you place an arrow to the left or right of the line to indicate that you are not cutting the line but cutting to the left or right of it. If no arrow is placed then you cut straight down the middle of the line. That tip has been very usefull when cutting all trims with the mitre saw.

Good tip, Sable.  I line up my saw blade with the line I've drawn; but when I was laying out the Regency dining chair parts I set the bottoms of the feet along the line, so had no kerf allowance.  That was partially because the piece of birch plywood I got at the hobby shop was fairly expensive, so I wanted as little scrap as possible; I didn't realize the stuff was almost as hard as a rock!  Since posting above and a search including DH the wrenches that accompanied the scrollsaw have apparently gotten separated from it in the move, so I'm in the market for n F-wrench and the one that looks like an Allen wrench (but in the picture in my shop manual it looks to have a flat blade); so I shall start stitching chair seats this afternoon.

After fighting with the front gable I lopped off two hooked ends off the roof tabs, stuck the remainder of the tabs into the slots, glued those buggers in and viola the whole deal came out perfect!  

Awwwwwwwwww loved the little kitty!

Hugs for you Deb

...   How wonderfully blessed are we to be a part of this mini community where friendships and family bonds run so deeply?  I'm a little overwhelmed with emotion when I realize how much love has come into my life simply because I took a right turn on the internet one day and ended up here.  

I bless the day I whipped around in a U-turn for a dollhouse in a yard sale. Bought the house then looked for information on it, which led to an Internet search, which led to this forum!  Best U-turn I ever made!!

• Like 4

Feel better soon Deb and I for one am honored that I found you here waiting for me on my arrival. Your great talent and witty sense of humor have dazzled me from day one.

Today I decided to tackle the front door coach lights. I have been working nonstop for about four hours and I finally have one done. One more to go to finish this project. Boy those tiny wires are so fidilly. It makes me very nervous stripping the insulation off without breaking those teensy wires inside the lights and soldering on a vertical wall ooh was that a treat. I will persevere and get er done!

I just think to myself the girls on the forum would tell me don't give up keep on swimming!

• Like 3

Feel better soon Deb and I for one am honored that I found you here waiting for me on my arrival. Your great talent and witty sense of humor have dazzled me from day one.

Today I decided to tackle the front door coach lights. I have been working nonstop for about four hours and I finally have one done. One more to go to finish this project. Boy those tiny wires are so fidilly. It makes me very nervous stripping the insulation off without breaking those teensy wires inside the lights and soldering on a vertical wall ooh was that a treat. I will persevere and get er done!

I just think to myself the girls on the forum would tell me don't give up keep on swimming!

Soldering's a treat/pain at any time! But keep on swimming!

I finished the beach hut today...........I was going to make furniture for it but one of my wife's friends said she liked it so off it went!

New project?............Starting a blog!

Roxy, I did that with Washington's roof

LOL Thanks Holly!   I could not see how to get those hooked tabs into the roof slots without breaking something else and believe me I tried several versions ( the directions make no sense to me as usual).   The roof seems very stable and its probably on the straightest I ever got one.  Yayyyyyyyy!

I was making nice progress on the Gingerbread mansion when I put the front wall into its slots to see how the wallpaper matched up....looked good so I added the next wall and thats when it dawned on me....the windows were not in or the curtains....you have to decorate before putting it together or its tricksies

and while I cut my lace apart for my curtains I was real happy I decided to do something else in the living room because I used all the lace and I have nothing in my stash to use in its place for this scale....

still waiting on the risers to arrive for the staircase but its moving right along

I went with a cream house....wood windows and purple gingerbread....

I thought about shingling it but I have yet to decide.

dome ... rose ...   still waiting on the risers to arrive for the staircase but its moving right along

Nutti, I just ran across this sculptor guys blog. He has created a couple different floating rose dome creations - not miniature but really cool.

In order to see them, you type in floating rose in his search bar at the top right on his page. I can't figure out how to make it go directly to the rose page with a link. Sorry I'm not tech savvy in that department.

Thought you might like to take a peek. He was commissioned to do them as the Beauty and the beast floating rose. There are multiple video clips and pages of how he created them.  

Anyhow, I thought they were cool and fun to see. Hope they inspire you on your project.

EDIT: trying to paste some in here from the sight. Fingers crossed they show up.

tumblr_ne040xrivl1qmlko9o1_1280.jpgIMG_2893_grande.jpg?1374720081

• Like 3