What's everyone working on?

I made a couple of the 1/144th scale furniture kits I have for the room box...they seem way to big

but all this work in this scale is prep so I can feel more confidant when I start the 1/144th scale house....

it is a little more complicated than what I have done in the past...The Garfield is comparable without the staircase this one comes with

and maybe the furniture I made will go into it...

so when I took the cut too short curtains off the form...I see that the hair spray has darkened the fabric....its not bad

but is this normal...I thought after it dried it went back to the same color??

today Im off to get a camera...

so I can take photos to share of the roombox...the phone does NOT show detail...jes fuzz :rain:

I cut out pieces for a dining table yesterday and stained it today, so hopefully tomorrow I can get started building it.  I have to find some 1/8" basswood for the chairs, as I like the looks of the Regency style chairs far better than the ones in Jane Harrop's book (I'm making her dining table).

Which 1:144 house are you starting, Nutti?  Is one from Templewood?

I made a great discovery on the Appleby Cottage, and was anxious all day yesterday to post a picture and share what I found. But now I am away from home so it will have to wait.

• Like 1

So, deciding that I need to jump into the things I have been putting off because "what-if-I-mess-up" sentiments I have now cut the two barrels that will be turned into barrel chairs, need to sand the beejeebers out of the sides though to get the curved interior feel to it. I have started the washes on the lighthouse base...

Slow going on the paint as I really do not want it to get to get to heavy coats, still just doing washes, will see how it builds up though.

Deep breaths :D and am so far happy with the progress.

Hugs

I found some time -- make that made some time -- to work on the Realife Miniatures dining room cabinet. It is one complicated li'l bugger. One has to construct two boxes to be inserted into the body of the beast to form the lower cabinetry. I sanded for hours, it seemed, to get them to slip in easily. When the instructions warn to dry fit and trim to size, they mean it. The "boxes" are done, as are the doors, each with a raised panel. Waiting for acrylic varnish to dry so they can be pin hinged.

Next there are two drawer to be built. I'm tempted to glue the drawer fronts in place and call it a day. I'm not the kind of person who finds it necessary to fill miniature drawers and closed cabinets with appropriate items.

• Like 1

Went over with a second "round" of very diluted paint in shades of grey, brown, green and even more dilutd wash of black. This time it shows a little more with the pigments stying in the cracks and crevices. Think it will need atleast one more all around before I can start thinking of adding the moss and vines though. I'll let it dry in between these coats.

As for the barrels Holly, they are the woodsie "rain" barrel type, ie hollowed out but no "planks" so that will be next, adding scoring lines after I have sanded the sides so that it will atleast look like it has a curved inside as well eventhough I will dress the inside with thin leather I think. The sawing went suprisingly easy using a razor (?) saw and then just a regular aaw blade with a small handle to finish it all.

Hugs

The woodsies were all I ever found when I was building the pub, and settles turned out to become the best seating.  Kathie, I had much less problems with drawers in 1:12 than in 1:24, but I'm not going to kill myself making mini accessories and then hide them in a drawer!

..... I'm tempted to glue the drawer fronts in place and call it a day. I'm not the kind of person who finds it necessary to fill miniature drawers and closed cabinets with appropriate items.

Awww Kathie, no little pretties dangling awry out the edge of a slightly open drawer?

• Like 1

I found something interesting so I thought I would share. 

Have you ever looked closely at your laundry detergent? I discovered if you pull the red rubber cap off the push button spout there I a little gem in there. You get this Little plastic piece that to me is great for a bathroom plunger.

I don't have a toilet to see if the scale is right but It looks close to me anyway it looks pretty good after it is painted.

I think you could also cut the bottom off and turn it over for a terracotta flower pot.

post-5895-0-10937500-1424024125_thumb.jp

post-5895-0-23437500-1424024231_thumb.jp

post-5895-0-70312500-1424024361_thumb.jp

• Like 1

made some nice progress today on the drapes for the wedding gift....its very tedious and I get bored easily with tedious but if you want the look you want....sigh..

it is a little bulkier than I had imagined but its an easy fix to add another piece of foamcore so the drapes lay behind the staircase..

I finished the little room box and put it away for a day when I have a house or someplace to display it...

next up will be the 1/144th scale gingerbread mansion...complete with staircase...I have been intimidated long enough

it will get built...lol..or at least started :dunno:

• Like 1

Cheryl, your idea is great, too. I never thought to use it as a plunger... a little paint in the right places. Thank you for answering Debra's question. It comes apart so easy. It's nice when we find these little things and uses for them.

I got so excited when I figured out a mini lamp from it, both kiddo's just rolled their eyes and groaned and then disappeared. LOL. But they have been known to bring 'tiny' things to me and say 'can you use this...?'

• Like 1

This afternoon I attempted the paint and tissue exterior and it looked horrible right off the bat. I scraped it off to let it dry and will apply stucco. I put another coat of paint on the outside trim, glued on the roof trim and shutters and painted and glued the bamboo sticks inside the upper floor. I repaired a broken figurine and a chair that came with an ebay bid.

I received a male figure that appears to be quite old. The clothing feels old/oily and smells of age. I got the jacket off and can tell it is hand stitched. The rest of his clothes look like they were sewn on so would have to be cut off. I would like to salvage and soak the whole thing (doll in its clothing) in some warm Dawn soapy water and let it dry. Will this ruin it? He has a cloth body with porcelain head.

CRASH!!!

complete stop today! I put aside the draping....its not as easy as one would think but the going is slow and Im still not sure Im happy with it

so I laid out my house and started the painting and the staining of floors...time to get started and this kit calls for the staircase to be built first..so I got all my parts

my glue and tooth picks read the first line begin by counting risers steps...hmmmmmm....I remember at some point seeing those....unfortunately it isnt today!!

I just walked away....Im waiting for paint to dry completely before I wallpaper so...MEH!!! :doh:  :cry:

I did a quick look where they should be if not in the kit box and no not there....and who knows when I saw them last...was it 5yrs ago when I bought it or 2 yrs ago when I dug it out to do??? the nutti things I do to myself...so Ill whine a sec more than go hunt for wallpaper...it is screaming patriotic...red white and blue...sigh...I dont have any wallpapers in this scale with that color scheme already printed and ready! :dunno:

The day before the CRASH (a.k.a. when the forum went down)  Look what I found on the attic floor:

This gives a clue as to where the boxes came from. Not apple crates after all, as this was a department, dry-goods, store.  Should I change the name to The Dressler House?  (NO!)  This helps me date it a little closer - as the store named on the crate was established in 1906. So it's sometime after that.

• Like 1

almost finished with the lily. still need to shingle, polyurethane the interior wood, gloss the exterior trim and put in the interior window trim. yay! so close to being finished with this project

started building the Garfield last night. got the foundation built then put all the walls up today. I had a Garfield under construction but sold it about 1.5 years ago. I've been wanting to build it again and recently bought the kit from Heidi (thanks Heidi!!!!)....anyway, trying to recreate the kit bash I did on my last one :) so far, trying to go back and forth between photos in my blog and building the real thing. I got tired of working on it for today, but got most of the house built today....need to figure out a couple of the interior walls. it's coming right along tho :) NO photos of either house at them moment!

• Like 1

CJ that is so neat. I can't tell by the picture, what does it say? I'm really enjoying following this build. I'm starting to feel like a stalker.  :sleazy:  I don't know why this fascinates me so much. I guess just because it is so unique and old.