What's everyone working on?

CJ that is so neat. I can't tell by the picture, what does it say? I'm really enjoying following this build. I'm starting to feel like a stalker.  :sleazy:  I don't know why this fascinates me so much. I guess just because it is so unique and old.

Cheryl, I added some more info in the other thread - "Another Antique House".  The stamped lettering said:  Ed Hindler Co. / Dayton Wash.  I found the town, and the company, which was established in 1906.. :bookread:   

I still like "Appleby Cottage", it fits that little old house, and is probably what she wants, anyway.  The rug I'm stitching now is Anatolian with bright colors, so I will probably use it in a different house, since I've already stitched two that will look good in Washington.

I'm continuing to plod along with my North Park build.  First of all, this thing is HUGE! I don't think I really comprehended the dimensions.  I feel a little silly for saddling myself with a GINORMOUS dollhouse for life... but also I kind of love it, so oh well. 

I'm really busy with full-time work and various other extracurriculars, so I find I only manage to find a few hours for it each week.  I'm nearly 2 months in and still not done, but things are progressing -- this weekend the roof went on, which was gratifying, and I've got the porch railings mostly put together now, and it was neat to set them up in front of the house and see what that will look like. I'm hoping within this week I can get the porch roof on. I'm waiting for my shingle dye to arrive before I can launch in to that process. I spent a lot of time this weekend painting gingerbread trim. phew.

I also went ahead last week and purchased a  Heidi Ott doll. I'm imagining a contemporary family of 4 living in this house (mom, dad, girl in her late teens and younger girl), but I thought I'd start with one -- I think this doll is going to be the older daughter.  I just thought it might help me to visualize things like furniture placement and cabinet height and decorating if i had an actual person to which to scale things!

• Like 1

Oh, also I've realized I'm going to have to cut off the back roof overhang/eaves.  The stairs up out of my basement are just a hair under 24 inches wide at their narrowest part, and right now it looks like the house will be just a hair over 24 inches if I don't permanently install the front stairs. If I trim that little bit of eave overhang off so the back eaves (i.e. the eaves on the open side) are flush with the house, I'll be back down to 23 inches.  This will make things look a little asymmetrical from the side, but I think it's an ok price to pay if it means my dollhouse is not permanently located in the basement of the rundown rental apartment where I do not want to live forever! 

Edited by denkyem

I have the Gingerbread Mansion in dry fit so that I can mark walls and floor lines for the wallpapering....

one thing I did that I like is to accidentally stain a couple of the walls thinking they were floors....silly me...

but then I kind of liked the look...like paneling... so I may or may not cover it....I convinced it that it again wanted to be cream...purple and pink

mainly because I found another of these houses that would look even better as a red white and blue....so there she is...

pulled out my metal mini furniture and ALL of it is WAY to small for this house....sigh...I really wanted to add some furnishings to it

getting ready to print out the photos for the finished wedding gift and some more wall paper...

Too cold to go out to the shop, especially with overcast skies looking like rain at any minute, and out of nowhere I have spent the afternoon with a productive cough.  I have enough of the new rug stitched to tell it's gonna be purty.

• Like 1

Got a brainstorm this afternoon and decided my little Appleby Cottage should have a dollhouse in it - just like the big Appleby!  Started on that tonight and got the basic framing done. It's all squared up in the jig to let the glue dry overnight.  Also decided I need a little girl for the house - since Daddy had to make a dollhouse for his little princess. Browsed online but didn't find exactly what I want. I might have to paint a resin doll, which always makes me nervous. 

grrrr its been 1 step forward 2 steps back.....when I text son to ask about what ink to buy he told me 61...so thats what I got...color 61...well because i forget stuff like the printer takes 2 cartridges one of them being black...sigh...I ran out of ink after I printed my 2nd staircase photo... I did mange to print more wallpapers for the 1/144th house...but most of those papers...sigh...are to small for the rooms in this house as are all of my metal furniture...soooooo :frusty:

took one of those runs to Wal-mart and now have the black ink...Matt spray sealer..yanno...its the nutti way to run out before Im done so I got a 2nd can...

some paint and figured out a way to use the wallpapers I have to continue on....AND..Northeastern miniatures is sending me new risers...

the new camera I ordered should be here today and Im super excited about learning how to use it...it has a super zoom quality that I cant wait to try on these lil minis!! :happydance:

• Like 1

Made a boat yesterday and a start on a beach hut today.......not that it feels much like summer outside.........although given our typical summer I'm not so sure.......its raining!

Since I am a bit under the weahter (ha!) with a cold, ie slight fever and a soar throat, I haven't been doingmuch after work but pausing and daydreaming about this and that and whatever in mini so to speak. And in doing so I had the top part of the lighthouse just in line and were thinking of how neat that would be as a gazebo...

Not that I would take it from its rightful place, no, but it would certainly make the perfect gazebo with just the tiniest modifications...

:wub: Did I mention that I adore the lighthouse???

Hugs

Hope you are feeling better soon Anna!

I am still steadily working on the wainscoting for the Ellwanger House hallways.

In other news, it is still ridiculously cold outside which totally thwarts any ideas of staining floors outside.  We have re-scheduled our attempt at a vacation in Florida, so I have packed up all of the floors in my suitcase to do when we are somewhere that is at least 30 degrees warmer than here!

I also need hex sconce adapters - and all I have on hand are the round ones.  :/   And I missed the latest HBS sale.  :/

So to cheer me up, I began working on the next rehab project: the white and blue RGT farmhouse. Did some sanding and got it all taped up and ready for the body paint.  However, the siding looks like it has so many coats of paint that the ridges aren't sharp....and I am thinking that the last coat of paint may have been craft paint.  So....I am pondering the idea of just using paint remover to try and get rid of as much of the old paint as possible.   Of course, that again, requires a garage....so I might have to schlep this thing down to my daughter's house for a work weekend!

The other issue is with the floors....it's 30 year old fiberboard that is flimsy and flaking apart.  So I am also thinking that while I can cover it with flooring and ceiling paper and sturdy it up with channel molding on the outside edge....perhaps it would just be better to totally replace it with a piece of new plywood!?

• Like 1

Wow Nutti, you are busy than a one armed paperhanger by the sounds of it. Cant wait to see how this turns out. Be sure you take a "breath" break now and then.

• Like 1

I shared a photo last night of my house with the porch rails and roof in dry fit, and today I got them glued on:

I have a bit of a dilemma I'd love some advice on. I mentioned it above, but I think I didn't explain it very well well.  Here's a photo of the left side of my house for reference: 

You see how the eaves are nice and even on both sides, with an overhang on the back as well as the front? Well, I'm thinking I may need to amputate that little overhang on the back.   If I leave everything as is (and don't attach the front stairs, which is my plan) this house is just a hair over 24 inches wide.  The problem is that I'm building it in my RL basement, and the only way out of said  basement is up a staircase that's just under 24 inches wide.  Overall, I think it would be smart to get the dollhouse down to 23 inches in width -- and I can do that if I just cut off that left hand overhang.  You won't be able to see it from the front, you won't notice from the back, but I'm concerned it will look a little sad and uneven in the side view like this.  

What do you think? Will I regret doing this every time I look at the house from the side, or should I just go for it, as it's such a simple solution to make sure the house can actually be moved after construction is complete?

Holly, I like how you think! But no... or there might be one as WIDE as 24", but none is higher than about a foot and a half. It's a true below-ground basement.  There is another way out of the basement through a hallway and a back door, but there's a very sharp turn and i'm quite certain no way to get the 5-foot-long dollhouse around it.  The one ray of hope is that my landlord just mentioned yesterday that he's thinking of doing some renos on the place and adding a front entrance to the basement.  He said he might even try to do that this summer, but that's not something I can count on at all -- he's been promising all kinds of renos over the 5 years we've lived here and none have ever happened! 

It's possible I might be able to remove some trim from my stairwell to give myself an extra half-inch of clearance... but that seems a bit sketchy. 

I'm not likely to move the dollhouse any time soon (as long as we live here, it stays in the basement) but I'm worrying about that future day in a couple years when we move out and when I *then* have to take a saw to a roof with shingles, trim and gingerbread on it!

Don't forget the five feet length can stand up and go around the corner that way instead of horizontally. I would wait and see what happens. Is it a code violation to have such a narrow stairwell? You could toss that out as a motivator to for the landlord to fix it. Just thinking outside the box (basement as it were).

I think trimming that edge would be ok, but I agree with Selkie - on both counts. Could it be stood on end and moved around that corner? Or...

I think you can legally force the landlord to get you another exit that is wider to get out of the basement (and he won't even have to know it is for the house you are building). Check with your area building inspector. You can do so anonymously and just ask the legal width for all exits, etc. There might even be a handbook for your area for renters that can assist you. In my state there is one called the Renter's Handbook or some such thing. Gives guidelines for what both renters and landlords can and can not do and what is acceptable and what is not. Some cities/counties/towns in our state have more specific rules, but that is the basic guideline for the state.

For example, I know that in Rutland City, VT there has to be at least one window that is a certain size in EVERY room for an emergency exit and that every room has to have a certain amount of electrical outlets in there and that any outlet near a water source has to be a GFCI. There is so much more, but those are just for examples.

Also, I know that insurances state legal exit things as well, and theirs are for all areas. If you could find out who he is insured by, he may have much he would have to do to make your life the way it should be. Insurance companies give limits on how long he has to do some things in, if they inspect or they know about the issue. Area building inspectors do as well, but he won't want to mess with his insurance agency (usually they don't) or he could be dropped by them.

I believe the landlord can not retaliate if you converse with insurance or building inspectors, but I'm sure they'll know who did the discussing. So, I would try the anonymous thing first, just so you are basically protected from any retaliation. Trust me, you want to do it all anonymous, if possible.

Selkie...I know it sounds chaotic...but it seems thats when things move the quickest...could be the manic cycle Im trying to keep at bay

but I do like it best when I have several somethings to do around me...I have the little house mostly papered...

remember I figured out how to make the too small of papers to work... I am cutting borders off this one and adding them to that one

Im actually quite pleased with the effects...the last room I am going to do next is the bedroom which I am cutting 3 parts to combine for the walls...

sigh...also have a window seat to make...

after I finish the little house I am returning to the wedding gift and make those drapes comply!

fingers crossed the camera makes it to me tomorrow for Jaxon's 7th birthday...such a sweetie...

tomorrow I am making a skull cake...not sure how Ill achieve it but Im getting up bright and early and go get all the stuff and surprise him when he gets home from school...Papaw is planning on giving him a ride in the big rig. should be a good day!

the cake turned out super cute....

and my camera came...but it is not the blue I ordered it is white...but Im keeping it

I have already taken some really nice photos....of my 1/144th scale room box and the gingerbread mansion but also of Jaxon out on the trampoline

YAY!!Im so happy to have a real camera again!

:clap:   :cheer:  :clap:  

• Like 2

I left work early due to snow and sleet that has made roads slick in ALABAMA. It was nice to get a surprise afternoon at home. I put "stucco" on the exterior. I repainted the downstairs because the color was a lttle off. I had custom mixed it and thought it would work at first but it had a yellow tint that wont work for this little property:-) I prepared my shingles by using a piece of craft foam and painting for some texture. Applied modpodge to the back of the foam to seal. Once it dries I can measure and cut into tiles ready for gluing. I hope they will look ok; just seemed intriguing to try. With this weather it may take days for the stucco and foam to dry. I wish I had some artistic talent for painting like weathering, washes, showing depth and so on. I can see what I want in my mind but I cant execute.

...I wish I had some artistic talent for painting like weathering, washes, showing depth and so on. I can see what I want in my mind but I cant execute.

Which local schools offer art classes?  I wish you lived closer, Sue; I could teach you washes & dry brushing.  But you'll have to leave your snow and sleet at home I don't want any.