What's everyone working on?

I am putting on the siding on my Beacon Hill. I wanted to get it done before I installed the windows. Wish I had done it before the porch and bay windows. Actually had to make a couple of templates for a couple of tight spots by the front bay. Spent most of the day on it, but should be able to get it done tomorrow.

Haven't figured how to post pictures or start an album. Somewhere I can find that info?

If you are using the full computer version and not the mobile vetsion, look down at the very bottom of the home page over towards the left of center. You'll see a button labeled Help. It has all manner of tidbits of info. If you read all the info there and still can't figure it out, just ask for help. We can walk you thru it. It's not hard.

I want to make a VIctorian style parasol to replace the one a doll I had gotten off of eBay was missing. Not an exact replica of the original but something that coordinates with the doll. I have no idea what to use for the handle. Any ideas?

Kent, I purchased some fancy carved headed, wooden toothpicks at Walmart that are about four inches long. The handle end is turned wood about 1/2". It would make an ideal center rod and handle for a lady's umbrella. The toothpick can be stained or painted and if you wanted to get fancy, the handle end could be gold leafed or painted gold. I use these toothpicks for a lot of different things. Being longer than regular toothpicks makes them more useful. I think that they are put out by Diamond and you find them in the small utensil section of kitchen stuff, not with the paper plates and such.

I think Kent is thinking larger than 1:12 doll.  Kent, have you thought of cutting down  small diameter dowel to the length you want and threading large-bore carved beads, either all one color or painted to match, for the handle?

The Realife Miniatures dining room set is finished but for the chair cushions. This photo shows the pieces in the Beacon Hill dining room (without the window all in place), which in most builds is the kitchen. (For this 1860s Garden District home, the kitchen is in a separate building out back.) The serving cart is an unpainted Chrysnbon piece that probably won't stay in there. I like the way the smaller dining table doesn't overcrowd the room. 

post-818-0-91930300-1426602650_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I got the bricks cut and glued to my small back foundation using a scrap piece from the kit. As I was gluing the piece to the foundation I should have stopped right then and trimmed the piece a little better; instead I forced it into place:-((( I think I'm going to give in and purchase a dremel (although I don't know how to use it) because this utility blade is just not cutting it (pun intended). I think I can disguise where I messed up, but I will always know it's there. Maybe it will serve to remind me to be patient and do it right the first time.

The Realife Miniatures dining room set is finished but for the chair cushions. This photo shows the pieces in the Beacon Hill dining room (without the window all in place), which in most builds is the kitchen. (For this 1860s Garden District home, the kitchen is in a separate building out back.) The serving cart is an unpainted Chrysnbon piece that probably won't stay in there. I like the way the smaller dining table doesn't overcrowd the room. 

attachicon.gifP3070005-inHouse.jpg

It looks great! :D

attachicon.gifP3070005-inHouse.jpg

Very nicely done. Congrats.

• Like 1

FINALLY had 2 nice warmer days here in SE Pennsylvania so I finished up the last of varnishing floors and staining the porch of the Ellwanger House.  I also installed the back door to the kitchen and finished installing the kitchen baseboard - - another room DONE!  (3 down, 6 to go!)

I am really liking the blue doors. I need to take a pic tonite and get it posted for you to see!  It keeps with the original builders color theme, but gives it a more modern feel.

I've also begun repainting the exterior windows and shutters. ugh. I wasn't going to do it since they looked ok as is, but I had to replace some missing sills and a mullion or two and the new paint doesn't match the old, yellowed paint.  :/   So now I am stiff and sore because of having to do some acrobatics in order to paint these Victorian hooded windows and shutters!  (They are still on the house - I didn't remove them because I was afraid of damaging the magic-brick)   Guess I should have done a better job at matching the existing paint!

Off to the store to buy some more glue, then hopefully can get another room finished tonite!

Have had some time reading through the posts here, you have all been very busy and that is so inspiring!

While we were away we were talking a lot of our renovation plans for the basement, as it is now there are 6 "rooms" not large ones mind you as our house has a small footprint. Earlier we had made plans for one of these being my craft room/area but as we now have been making new plans I am going to be using two of them for my crafts, we also havethe tool shed where the scroll saw and other "machines" are kept intheir own place and ready to use so these two rooms will be for the other stuff as sewing, painting and general mini-ing. Need to re-plan the whole lay out now, happy dance!!!!

Hugs

• Like 2

I got the wood parts of the stove glued together and put a coat of paint on most of it.  Then I went back with the spackle to cover the wood joins,, since the stove really isn't supposed to be made of wood (smoke & mirrors.  Tomorrow, when the spackle is all dry, I shall sand it all smooth and repaint the stove.

I'm juggling two builds this year...both from the same kit.  I had already started the HBS Creatin Contest with the kit I purchased when they reached out to me to see if I would take a free kit to do a live build on my blog.  So, the purchased one will stay secret and be entered in the contest.  The free one will be built on the blog and be just for fun.  :D  I've started a gallery here for progress shots, but as always there is a lot more on my blog.

Milo Valley Farm   :farmer:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=7220

The little Appleby Cottage continues to call to me, so yesterday I just closed my office door and went out my craft cottage. Didn't have a lot of time but just being there is so calming!  I got the doorway extension measured and the lines drawn, ready to be cut. (The original door is only 4" high!) 

I keep going in circles planning the stairway.  Since the back wall is unfinished on the outside, it would be easy to block off one window and have the stairway go along the back wall. But that makes it too crowded upstairs.  If I put it along the side wall, it's better for the upstairs configuration but it has to go in front of a side window, which I cannot block off. (Can't match the outside siding)  Anyway, I've placed it back and forth, both ways, taking pictures - no measurable progress but it felt good to be doing something in my Miniworld. :)

• Like 1

Finishing up my Tennyson and then on to the SanFranciscan. This is my second SanFranciscan because the first one was a gift to my gr niece.

Welcome to the GL forum. Nice to meet you. After you have 5 posts, you'll be able to start an album and share pictures of all your interesting builds. Sounds like you've been busy. Lucky niece.

My little stove is almost finished.  I needed a few *magic* words to get the screw eyelets into place for the brass rod to go across the front, but the wee "oil" bottles went on like they were supposed to, and all that's left is to find where in my stash my wee jumprings got off to so I can finish the oil reservoir.  The cookware I got from Julie will look SO good on it!

• Like 2

I started sketching plans for the contest house that HBS gave to some bloggers. Brae got one too. I was wondering if anybody else here on Greenleaf is doing one. The catch was, we couldn't inter the contest with the free house. I never enter anyway, so no biggie for me. I decided to turn it into a complete fantasy cottage. Having fun now!

• Like 4

I still have to finish painting and install the last two pieces to finish the stove.  I found the '70s-era mini Barbies I'd found in a local used doll store to refurbish to live in the farmhouse and have gone through the fabric stash to re-dress them, so I have a nice, lengthy project for our next go-round of nasty weather.  Meanwhile I guess its time to begin the fridge.  I brought three different Michael hutches from my stash  into the house to dip in the boiling water; one will become a bedroom armoire and the other two will go into the kitchen.