Greenleaf's Fourth Annual Spring Fling Contest

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be my first Spring Fling and I'm getting excited about. Haven't got a ghost of a chance of winning but I sure will have fun :giggle:

I got the email saying mine has been shipped, but there are no details: UPS or FedEx?? tracking number?? I've never ordered from GL before; others give the tracking info so I know when it will be arriving and can hopefully be here to receive it.

Oh, well -- it's on its way!!

Well so far I have only had one idea for this build and it certainly isn't unique but I am excited about doing it anyway, it will be so different for me as so far I have only built the Garfield and I bet this is a tad smaller.

Fingers drumming on desk now - can't wait.

Did I mention I'm off to Miniatura on Saturday (with a list)

Oh, well said! It doesn't matter if you DO have the same, identical idea as someone else, guarantee it won't turn out the same.

As a matter of fact, I wrote an article last week about how the same idea can come out completely different based on last year's contest. It will run in this month's Gazette which is due out next week. It's *really* amazing how the same kit and the same theme can be so completely different! I'm dying to see what happens this year.

Deb

This is my first Greenleaf build...and so far, I like it! The house smells like incense from the laser cut wood. I got the main kit and the addition in dry build tonight. Ooh, the ideas are formulating....I keep oscillating between two different ideas, so we shall see which pans out. Maybe a meld of the two. :giggle:

Thanks for the upcoming article, in time for this year's Spring Fling, Deb. If ever there was an illustration of the point, last year's entries certainly are IT! There were more than one mill AND more than one observatory, and not one of them was anything like another. I can't wait to see what everybody does with theirs, and I just wish I had the room for one!

M tracking number says that Customs will be reviewing my parcel. Hopefully they hurry up with whatever they have to do ad I can get started on my build.

This is my first Spring Fling as well. I wanted to join in last year but there was no money last year at all fo ranything. I had an immediate idea when I seen the house but after looking at the inside and everything for the millionth time I might change my mind once I get it. I don't know yet.

My first order arrived - It's bigger than I pictured it to be. May have to adjust the ideas a bit. I have another order still to come. Thankfully you can use the code up to 5 times.

O.K., I have an idea...I think it could be great...question though...

Do you have to finish the inside of the kit...or is it determined upon the outside? Or is it a "good" idea to do the inside?

**I'm thinking of budget constraints...current financials might not allow me to do both inside and out... :giggle:

It's Here! It's Here! :) It's in dry-fit, and, golly gee, it's a bit bigger than I was a-thinkin' in my sketches, but will work it around. I had to laugh at first, because I am SO used to working lately in 1/4 scale - so this seems GI-NORMOUS to me right now :p:p - but I know that once all the "stuff" starts being placed, it will be just fine. It is, without a doubt, a FABULOUS kit and design (laser is so wonderful)- just hope I can do it justice. Whatever it becomes, I know it is going to be a blast to work on! :)

Ok, back to work.. :giggle:

Mine showed up this afternoon too, despite the dogs being very angry at the FedEx guy...! (He was very careful to help me keep the door closed!)

It's bigger than I had thought also-- I am in the middle of labeling so I can dry-fit...

I guess I am so used to the monster that is the Newport that I thought, "What a cute little structure," when I put it together. :p I have begun work! It sucks not being able to post blog entries on it...have to keep it hush hush. :giggle: I'm going to have a massive onslaught of blog entries when this contest is over!t

:p bigger than you thought :) back to the drawing board for me...i was kinda hoping it wasnt on the big side :p .....hmmmmmm now what else can i do :p

are there measurements listed anywhere apart from the big door size?

:) i found them listed in the store...as if they wouldnt be there :giggle:

oooooooooo i measured for my original idea and my 'plan B'....its far too big for both :giggle: ......wow what a bargain sized kit for the price!!!! but now no idea what to do with it :p

:) I didn't mean to startle anyone with the "Bigger than I thought" remark...

but you are SO right Linda - It is a FABULOUS price for all you get in this beauty :p

In my case, I think the "bigger" issue just has to do with my being stuck in 1/4 scale-land for too long. I have not done any 1:12 scale since the last Fling. My poor little workspace was instantly swallowed up. I'm SO glad I cleaned it up before my kit arrived.

Now the biggest question is: Which idea am I going to go with...they keep a-changin' on me (yikes!) And the current contender requires adding _____ and a _____, both of which will require even more space :) Decisions, decisions...may have to go "up" instead of "out"..LOL Or, if I stay away from too much landscaping (my favorite thing to do, sigh) I may get away with it.

I almost had DH cut away this and that lastnight - then he reminded me - "measure twice, cut once" - which of course is a good rule of thumb and made me rethink my plans once again.

Oh well, back to thinking and measuring... :giggle:

If it is on the big side then that is good because then my first idea will work perfectly. I bought the add on because I could not just leave the add on room out (it is too cute)but I have no idea what I am going to do with it. Maybe a __________ _________ that might work

My husband MADE me order a kit :giggle: His theory is that I love the process of making my houses and so never really want to be completely done . Therefore, if I have a new kit, I will be more likely to finish another one since I have a new one in the works.

That theory works for me... I have a new kit coming! :p

Daisy

I went to the Miniatura show today and got some great bits and bobs for my thingamywhatsit mainly small cheap stuff but perfect for a - well, you know what.

You know, not all miniaturists are nice. I bought a cabinet for my Rutland Grange soon after I arrived, it was pricey but exactly what I wanted. About an hour later I came to another stall where the same cabinet was £20 cheaper - £20 blasted POUNDS. We took the first one back and asked for a refund and the lady opened the box (which she had packed it in and we hadn't opened) and said it was broken so she couldn't refund. After a fair amount of arguing (in front of other customers) she eventually gave us a refund. I suppose that will teach me to look at all the stalls before I buy - the trouble with that is I forget where I saw the good stuff. These shows are so big.

Been busy this week making a person for my springflingything. I have no idea if I will eventually use him (yes he's another ugly old man) until I get the garage but he figures in my current plan. Don't know what I will do if that doesn't work out as I don't have a plan B.

Happy flinging to all of you who have already received yours.

My second order already arrived and I have the first one in dry fit.

I have a typewritten page with 63 ideas so far. My head is tired of brainstorming so now I need to get to the business of settling on just one. Yikes ! is that even possible?