Jump to content

rbytsdy

Platinum Member
  • Content Count

    2,849
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    8

rbytsdy last won the day on May 28 2019

rbytsdy had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

566 Excellent

9 Followers

About rbytsdy

  • Rank
    Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling

Previous Fields

  • Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Real Name
    rbytsdy
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

12,045 profile views
  1. Thank you! I don't recall which (many) specific online resources I looked at when I really got into EPP (I finished a La Passacaglia quilt top a few years back-- have yet to finish the quilting yet! ), but this is a pretty decent blog entry for starters. I really enjoy the "fussy-cutting" part, to highlight specific patterns in the cloth. The La P: I used hexies for a mini quilt the other year: I think they were 1/4"-sided. That one was fun:
  2. Perhaps I'll have to make some more, as extras. I've always hated how my bed-dressings stick out at the bed sides, so I decided to do something about that. I sewed in some soft wire that I had lying around. For the paper-pieced quilts, I stitched it into the backing before I sewed on the backing. I have read of folks using aluminum foil for this also, but I think it would have to be pretty stiff foil for the materials I'm using. Here I am picking out all the papers. English paper-piecing is a tedious way to go (especially with 3/8" squares), but I enjoy it and it really does keep the lines straight. The finished quilt: It keeps its shape nicely: And in place in the children's room: The crazy quilt was stitched onto its own backing, which I wanted to keep as-is because I think the stitching on the back-side is interesting. I sewed the wire into the perimeter, folding the extra over it. I am very pleased with how this turned out. It was fiddly, sewing the wire in, but worth the effort. I had thought about sewing on those little tassels all over (I think there's another name for them), but decided to leave well enough alone. Perhaps I will sew an extra quilt, and do it on that one.
  3. So pretty! Love the bricks and ivy.
  4. rbytsdy

    San Fran - finished!

    Some of the folks on the forum have alot of experience w/ MDF and could probably tell me where I went wrong, but the glue joints of the floors and walls had come loose with semi-disastrous effect. Perhaps nails or some sort of mechanical affixing would have prevented that. I like the Greenleaf plywood b/c it's lightweight, and easy to cut and more versatile for bashing (not to mention cheaper, and easier to move around and ship). I reinforce it with trim from the hardware store. I know that it won't be as sturdy as a cabinet-grade build, in that one can't sit on it and expect it to survive. My current build in my blog isn't Greenleaf but it's the same plywood, and old "Artply Allison" off eBay-- it looks nothing like the original kit!
  5. Well I saw this and got inspired to make my own crazy quilt! The other two are by means of English paper piecing, 3/8" squares-- it's the only way I can keep it looking neat. Boy this is addicting. The two paper-pieced quilts are still stiff, mostly due to still having their papers in them. I need to de-paper, then back the quilts. I hope these new pics added to my gallery don't mess up my pics in my blog posts for the past couple yrs. With the new upgrade, the mapping between my blog posts and galleries got muddled and I had to ask for edit privileges and re-map the pics in a bunch of posts. (I've only done about a year back, more to go.)
  6. rbytsdy

    San Fran - finished!

    Thank you for looking. Unfortunately it suffered some pretty major structural damage during shipping (cementing my dislike for MDF), and due to various domestic "dissolvings", I don't know where it has ended up by now...
  7. The closest I've ever gotten is a bit of an art deco theme for the San Fran. I enjoyed that a great deal-- will have to try it again. Would love to see pics of your Edwardian!
  8. Wow- the Newbergs sure are expensive on eBay these days. Pretty sure I paid half that price a year or two ago!
  9. Or matboard: http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/2012/01/part-six-kitchen-cabinets-made-from-mat.html
  10. Love it! As for the "crunchy", I learned from Kris' upholstery tutorials to wrap around the back and glue there.
  11. rbytsdy

    auditioning paper.jpg

    What pretty staircase garnishes! Love that!
  12. Check out More Minis Harrison build blog too.
  13. Welcome, Deanne! The Willow is a nice big house, a big "canvas" to try out alot of things. I covered mine in eggcarton stone. Looking forward to seeing your build!
  14. Trying out the blog again-- looks like I "have used all the attachment space [I am] allowed". Hmmm. Using Kris' kitchen cabinet tutorial as a guide, but shortening everything to suit the mice: The cheese platter is from Ernie's (April Fool's sale). Splattered the counter-top twice: the first time I used a brush that was too soft, so I had to paint over it and splatter again with a stiffer coarser brush. Much better. And the cabinets, fit to the space (I used Kris' tut as a general guide and added my own shelf features): Here is Mrs Mouse to take over her kitchen: I made the table out of matboard, inspired by this lovely table; mine is not as slender and elegant as hers, but it is fairly sturdy, I think. And a little toy chest: And a cupboard for the bathroom: It is time for me to stop piddling around inside, and get back to the exterior and finish that front porch! I did get the house glued to a nice plywood base though.
×
×
  • Create New...