Greenleaf's Fourth Annual Spring Fling Contest

Not sure if someone already asked this, but can anyone tell me the size of the main door opening? I have my eye on something and want to see if it will fit through the doorway without having to alter it. :thumb:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting the kit and the add on. I want to try the laser cut. I loved the mini one we got last year as our thank you gift for entering the SF 09. It was great to work with and I have a Brimbles laser cut waiting. This will be a good practice size.

I really want to enter anyhow and have a trillion ideas but "time enough" will be my biggest problem. It always is. I didn't get my 2008 SF or my last HBS (ernies) done in time either. But the good news with that is that I have them to continue to work on.

Even if I don't get it done in time for the SF 10 contest, I still think the special pricing can't be beat so I don't want that to slip by.

Thanks Dean and crew for treating us so well here at GL. You pamper and spoil us. It sure is fun !!

I'm getting the kit and the add on. I want to try the laser cut. I loved the mini one we got last year as our thank you gift for entering the SF 09. It was great to work with and I have a Brimbles laser cut waiting. This will be a good practice size.

I really want to enter anyhow and have a trillion ideas but "time enough" will be my biggest problem. It always is. I didn't get my 2008 SF or my last HBS (ernies) done in time either. But the good news with that is that I have them to continue to work on.

Even if I don't get it done in time for the SF 10 contest, I still think the special pricing can't be beat so I don't want that to slip by.

Thanks Dean and crew for treating us so well here at GL. You pamper and spoil us. It sure is fun !!

Oh my gosh, wait til you try the laser cut! I swear it's a total dream to work with!

You'll get spoiled and not want to go back to the old fashioned way :)

Tracy, I would looooveto try those new shingles!

They are on my list :thumb:

It's on it's way to me..YAY! I ordered speed shingles and siding too as I had saved my M.O.M. certificate and now seemed a good time to use it :thumb: I'm sure I will need a few dozen other "things" along the way, but am excited to get the main build started :(

Not sure if it's just Spring that motivates me, or "Fling" - whatever it is, it's good! I cleaned out several craft cabinets and such today in preparation for new arrivals, so all is good.. so far :o Better I do it now, 'cuz once the kit arrives, I am officially off duty on "household affairs" :)

I ordered mine Monday, it should get here tomorrow or so. I had two really clear ideas when I saw the kit and am going with the first one. Who knows how/if it will turn out! I told myself this time that I have to get it completely done by May 31st (either as contest entry or just as 'whatever') or I can never order another contest building again!!! Between GL and HBS, I have ordered at least 5 contest 'structures' and not finished one yet! So this one is it!!

Good luck to everyone!

Tappy

It came, It came!!! It is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys did a GREAT job! I can't wait to get at it. There were even some sample laser cut shingles in there. I can't believe how great they are!!!

Oh, and the main door opening is... 7 1/2 inches by 7 1/2 inches. Off to go play!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

So glad you got your kit!! When you open the box... don't the wood smell Great too?!! I love the burnt wood smell :p

Yes Tracy! My father is a carpenter and it reminded me of going out to his shop when I was little and he was working on something. I loved those times. You did a great job with this. It is my first laser and I am so excited and at awe of it. Can't wait. But, first I have to finish the bakery I am working on for my mom. A surprise! But, I must hurry, I can't wait to work on this new kit!!! :giggle:

Wendy, the Laser cut will put itself together if you put it in a dark room with wood glue :giggle: okay it won't do that really BUT it goes together so fast it'll seem like it did it all by itself. I am getting so excited and can't wait to see everyone's house!!

That's my only complaint against the lasercut kits; even when they wANT to be bashed the pretty things can't help themselves, and they build themselves before you know it, if you're not careful!

All I'm gonna say is JEALOUS!!!

Totally GREEN with envy over you guys and all of your excitement...

As much as I want a laser-cut kit...I really only had one idea for this that would work...and I'm thinking I'm maybe not the only one with this same idea...that and something about that straight wall with the doors...I don't know what to do with it...

ANYWAYS...

Can't wait to see what everyone does...SO many of you create beautiful dollhouses, I can't wait to see what your imaginations come up with!!! :giggle:

Well I finally got mine ordered. I got the addition with the garage and then got a second one without the addition - just because.

I don't like calling it a garage though because it limits my creativeness. I'm all over the universe with ideas. Hope I'll settle on one after I see it with my hands.

A word of advice - don't measure yourself by what others have for ideas, suggestions or past builds. Each of us is unique and build accordingly.

Just because you consider yourself new to the hobby or limited in funds for accessories, doesn't mean you can't enjoy the process and have a wonderful outcome. I built a project for one of Ernies contests strictly out of scraps I had laying around and I won an honorable mention. I didn't have fancy things but it came out just fine and it was a blast.

I hope everyone gives it a try. It's so much more fun with lots of people participating.

Good luck and have fun everyone.

yes i agree with Selkie....there can be 20 garages/barns whatever.... no two will be alike...thats the fun of it :giggle:

i did last years with stuff i had already...only bought one tube of grey paint cos i ran out...$2 investment :) ....o and i emptied all the tea bags i had in the RL house at the end for the soil :p

It's actually participating in the competition that is the best fun of all...all the hints and clues in the posts makes you smile the whole time :)

...As much as I want a laser-cut kit...I really only had one idea for this that would work...and I'm thinking I'm maybe not the only one with this same idea...

...A word of advice - don't measure yourself by what others have for ideas, suggestions or past builds. Each of us is unique and build accordingly.

Just because you consider yourself new to the hobby or limited in funds for accessories, doesn't mean you can't enjoy the process and have a wonderful outcome. I built a project for one of Ernies contests strictly out of scraps I had laying around and I won an honorable mention. I didn't have fancy things but it came out just fine and it was a blast.

I hope everyone gives it a try. It's so much more fun with lots of people participating.

Good luck and have fun everyone.

Oh, well said! It doesn't matter if you DO have the same, identical idea as someone else, guarantee it won't turn out the same. We not only had more than one mill last year, we had more than one observatory, too; and not ONE of them looked the same as anyone else's.

If you read back through the various threads on the subject of this year's Spring Fling kit, several of us have made lots of different suggestions, and some of us who won't be building for the contest have volunteered to help, via PM, with ideas & suggestions of how-to. Certainly the special price is reasonable!

Wow, I am impressed . . . I just ordered mine on Tuesday and it just arrived! I am usually in bed by now (I work all night), but I think I was HOPING it would come today. Hoorah! I did have an immediate idea for this one, but I decided against it as I am almost certain there will be others who do this same theme. So, my second idea is a bit shaky at the moment, but I still think I will go with it. Last year's kit told me IMMEDIATELY what it wanted to be, this one is a tad more elusive. But, that's o.k. - I love having my creative process challenged. It helps me improve.

By the way, Holly . . . how DO you get two quotes in a reply? I have tried it a million times, to no avail!

Oh, and the main door opening is... 7 1/2 inches by 7 1/2 inches. Off to go play!!!!!!!!!! :giggle:

Thank you! :) I couldn't wait for a reply, but what I wanted will fit through the doorway without modification.

I just checked the FedEx site and saw these magical words: "On FedEx vehicle for delivery"

:p

I agree with Selkie --- doesn't matter if there are a dozen 1940s auto repair shops entered, each one will be unique. The emphasis should be on doing the highest quality work that you can. :giggle:

how DO you get two quotes in a reply? I have tried it a million times, to no avail!

Click on the Multi+ button in each of the posts that you want to copy. Then click on the Add Reply button at the bottom of the frame to create a reply post with all of the quotes included.

If you want to quote just one post, then click on the Quote button.

Oh good heavens! I just discovered that our Dean is a diabolical one indeed! When I opened my Spring Fling (after inhaling the intoxicating aroma of that lovely wood!), I read that he recommends "checking the pieces" to make sure all is well. As I pulled the sheets out of my carton, the pieces magically fell apart . . . NO effort required! And, perfectly smooth and lovely. How in the world will any of us EVER say "no" to any of the laser-cut kits that he offers? I don't think it is humanly possible for a dollhouse lover to do so. I could much more easily give up chocolate! By the way, our wonderfully devious leader. . . those well-placed sample shingles are already calling to me!

...I did have an immediate idea for this one, but I decided against it as I am almost certain there will be others who do this same theme. So, my second idea is a bit shaky at the moment, but I still think I will go with it. Last year's kit told me IMMEDIATELY what it wanted to be, this one is a tad more elusive. But, that's o.k. - I love having my creative process challenged. It helps me improve.

By the way, Holly . . . how DO you get two quotes in a reply? I have tried it a million times, to no avail!

Ahem, my dear, at the risk of belaboring the point, KathieB said it best so far; no matter how many shade=tree mechanic garages or Western saloons or Route 66 diners with filling stations people make, they will each on be totally different!