Greenleaf's Fourth Annual Spring Fling Contest

Due to the size I had to switch the ____________ from the main building to the small building, but I think the ______________ actually looks better in the main building. I'm anxiously awaiting some accessories to come in the mail. I have to head back down to Lowe's today for some more wood and some brackets for the ___________.

Unfortunately my life size house also needs paint on the shutters. LOL

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm suffering from "kit fear" at the moment. I don't want to spoil this beauty, its so gorgeous just as a plain ol garage. Maybe its lack of experience or the fact that I have never had a laser cut house before.

Yikes, I can't wait to see what you all do with yours - and yes, isn't it a biggun.

The only problem I've encountered with the actual kit (other than my own ADD tendencies) is that the wood grain of the walls go in different directions making it appear to take stain and paint in different hues.

If I could ask for one change to the manufacturing, it would be that the walls all be cut the same direction.

My poor kit has been together and apart so many times that it thinks it's doing the Mexican Hat Dance !!! It's getting close to the final fitting and then the final gluing.

I'm sure hoping I get this done in time and that my supplies all get here in time.

I'm having a bear of a time finding a _______ in the right scale, which is a major accessory piece to my whole theme. So far absolutely no luck --- Argh-gh-gh-gh-gh !!! (and no, it's not a pirate hangout !!)

...I'm having a bear of a time finding a _______ in the right scale, which is a major accessory piece to my whole theme. So far absolutely no luck...
If you think it's something that could be made, you're welcome to PM me for ideas...

Know what you mean about being in and out of dry fit. My kit is dizzy too and that warped wall, having been straightened has now reverted to type so its under a crate of beer now. If that doesn't straighten it, I'll just forget it and drink the beer.

Got to go for more supplies early tomorrow before the family arrive for the weekend.

I only hope to finish mine in time ... seeing as I haven't even started it yet! It would make a wonderful Garage, I agree - but that's not what I want to do with it. Once I have a good work area prepped, I'll be able to put it into dry-fit, and see if we agree on my plan for it. :cheer: In a totally unrelated part of my life I received a good omen for it - so I have my fingers crossed.

Fling On, Fellow Flingers, Fling On! :)

I think I'm suffering from "kit fear" at the moment. I don't want to spoil this beauty

me too Jo ....i thought about how fabulous a kit it is while working out my plans.......got out the Dremel and bashed it anyways :cheer:.....ahhhhhhhhhhhh no going back now :)

Once you glue it up Jo the warp may dissappear?

Fling On!

Hope so Linda, but its the big wall and it has a distinct curve about it. Managed to overcome the knot problem but that curve's got me beat at the moment and I'm not ready to glue it yet but not ready to fling it either <smirk>

well......i have bashed it :cheer: ....i have revamped some components for the _____ .... the __________ looks fabulous and the ___________ is coming along :rofl:

I think it might work with the __________ :)

Fling On! :)

LOL, go for it Linda, I'm still tiptoeing around mine. Got plans, just need to get on with it. I tried one of the techniques suggested on here for a ......... but it didn't work quite right for me so I've abandoned that. This whole project for me is about trying out new things - need to get over the scaredy cat bit though - after all, unless I stomp on it, it can be remedied.

just do it Jo :cheer:

Mines glueing and its masking tape city on there :rofl:

Attacked it with the Dremel ......lots of changes but still looks like the kit (basically...hmmm maybe....sorta :) )

The fun starts now for me as the 'spend no money on it' challenge i give myself kicks in :doh:

I have to use things i already have...did this for last years fling and it was fun scrounging about...stealing/borrowing from my other houses and making things :)

Fling On! :grrr:

Wow, Linda - spend no money on it :oops: ..you rock GF!...that would ever so nice to do, but unfortunately, I can never seem to do that! I'm making a few things here and there, and I did have an item or two that went with my theme - but my biggest challange so far is the thing-a-ma-jig for the roof area :lol: - it's gettin' there, but is making me out and out crazy B) Me and my bright ideas :doh:

Ok, off to take a nap - my eyes are goin' buggy...(sigh) Gee, ya think I ought to fix dinner for my DH and son before I go off to dream-land?? Nahhhhhh...

I had a nice afternoon of shopping at the craft and dollar stores with my husband. He has a very creative eye. Bought a ton of accessories for the _____________ and some supplies to make ___________ for the ___________.

Half of my project might not be original but the other half I think really will be!!

I don't really think mine is going to be original either Andrea, although the competition criteria says that entries will be judged on originality. Still its about having fun too isn't it and last night I definitely DIDN,T. I had to undo some stuff I did the night before because of a poor fit, then I dry fitted again to find that I had measured incorrectly, so undid everything again including ungluing stuff, dry fitted again only to find out that the first attempt had been right after all. C'est la vie. Maybe early problems mean that the rest of it will go like a dream.

Oh and at one stage when I was in the middle of dry fitting, it collapsed and knocked over a brandy and cola. Every bit of wood is now nicely sozzled and is warping to match the original warped bit. There was a crooked man and he walked a crooked mile.......

Glad to hear you are doing well with yours Linda, I'm sure it will be a stunner - again. I was so impressed with your Anderson shelter last year - so absolutely original.

Ah, Jo, but that crooked man found a crooked sixpence, whice at today's rate is probably worth a small fortune! Originality refers to design, purpose OR rendering; remember we had two observatories and a few windmills last year! There could be 20 garages entered this year and each & every one of them will be totally different & original.

:doh: Jo what a waste of brandy and cola :oops:

This year mine is no where near being as 'out there' as the anderson shelter :p

Because of my lack of space i've made something that will fit with my RL house decor....something i've wanted to do for some time.....its a _____________ :lol: and will look fabulous in my __________ :)

Fling On! B) love that :)

Fear not, Jo! There will be duplicates of many things methinks...and every one of them filled with originality! It is all in the originator's interpretation. I'm bettin' there will be at least 5 or 6 with my theme, but am bettin' (and hopin' :lol: ) not a one just like mine. And win or not, it still provides me with hours and hours of fun (plus some hair-tearin' out moments) and creativity :doh:

I'm 99.5% done with the piece that had me in fits yesterday - it came out pretty darn cool if I do say so meself! Of course, that last little bit probably will be just as uncooperative :oops: B)

FLING ON YA'LL!! (Love that saying too Linda!! It's priceless)

Well, after wrangling between conflicting ideas, I've settled on mine and I am really starting to enjoy the process. I have basically laid out the plans for the interior and I have also rounded up a good number of things for it. I am a bit stumped on one part of it, though because I bought one __________ specifically for it, and I find I like one I already had better. The problem with that is that it ___________ and I am a bit nervous about ___________ . I also have an issue with how to _____________________ and there's nothing I can refer to. But, like someone else mentioned, I am making something I had always planned to make anyway, and it will be something I would want for my collection, so whether I win anything or not, it's still worth my time and my warring ideas on how to best ______________. To paraphrase Thomas the Train, I think I can fling, I think I can . . .

Brandy sozzled construction has now dried out and apart from a few stains on its clothes is non the worse for its binge.

I wanted to do some experimenting with whatsits tonight but was too tired when I got in from work. May sashay downstairs now and and have a quick fling - then I'll be exhausted again in the morning hmm - might check if there is any brandy left.

Managed to get some bits that I planned to use on Saturday - this particular colour was discontinued and out of stock in the first 2 places I went but found the last 2 bits (on earth) in the third shop - that's a good omen eh?

Yeah - feeling a bit livelier now so I'll go have a fling while husband is in bed (LOL)

Gee...

Well I'm not doin' _____ _____ so I'm happy about that :lol:

I've finished most of the _____ but my gawd, I still have to somehow make _____, ______, and _______ not to mention trying to complete the entire _______.

Well, at least I got most of the shingling done B)

Carry On! um... er... I meant Fling On!

I'm pretty far along on my ______. But, I also had that week off from work to mini all night and day when I first got the kit. I'm really pleased with it thus far. :groucho: Now I just need to make/gather/assemble all the related accessories. I am sure even with a good head start, I'll be working up until the deadline. It's going to be so much fun seeing what everyone has done. :doh: