I needlefelted!

SusannaT

First I tried my hand at this hobby horse..no..umm..bunny..

post-1052-1257591593_thumb.jpg

He's still missing reigns and a few feathers.

Then I tackled something I've wanted to do, a snowy owl for Esther.

post-1052-1257591610_thumb.jpg

post-1052-1257591672_thumb.jpg

He came out quite beautiful, in spite all the curse words that left my mouth whilst trying to needlefelt my fingertips :)

Those needles are SHARP!

You know that's what I thought.. that it would be hard.

Apart from keeping your fingers out of the way it's quite relaxing.

As I was at a work shop for the bunny, the gal next to me and I came up with categories for the needle thicknessess...

Thick= yikes ouch!

Medium= yooowwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Thin= £&§*§**&##!!!

Susanna, is there any other way to hold the wool? Maybe a pair of tweezers or a needle tool(no pun intended)? That's one of the reasons I haven't tried it. I am accident prone as it is. Put a barbed needle in my hand and I have visions of harpoons and fish! LOL. Your first pieces are amazing! I especially love the owl!

Casey, you do work on top of a piece of foam (like the kind in old mattresses, the roll out kind.. I can only remember the word in finnish now..ack) to start with until you start getting a shape. You also work on that for separate pieces like the wings... But at some point it just gets easier to pick the thing up...

FABULOUS WORK!! :lol: I would love to try this...but I'm pretty sure I would skewer myself but good!! Perhaps I could start out with something easy...say a YAK :p <no face, no eyes...just ALL HAIR> Doesn't every dollhouse deserve a yak in the yard??? :)

those are so pretty. You did such a good job. In one of my sewing magazines there was an article for needle felting and I vaguely remember them putting the wool on a piece of something, but i can't remember what it was.

I've seen very cute little needle-felted dogs and cats on EBay and saw a tutorial on this on YouTube (I believe it was) - it looks like a difficult technique to master, but the end product looks so good! Great job - looks like you've got it on the first try!