What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

• 2 weeks later...

Hubs and I are in the final countdown/lockdown until surgery next Wednesday.  He had his tour at the hospital and some final pre-surg testing yesterday and tomorrow he goes for a COVID test.  He is to follow COVID self-quarantine protocols.....so no 60th birthday celebration for me at our house on Saturday. :cry:  

I did make a cake to share at work today: a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling and a layer of cheesecake in the middle, and then covered in Chocolate frosting.  :clap: I usually pour a layer of ganache over the chocolate frosting, but decided that it wasn't necessary for a "work cake".  (Besides, that left a nice little container of leftover for me!!)

My plan was to bake gingerbread cookies today to give to my neighbors until my sister suggested that some folks may not be comfortable accepting home-baked goods right now. She's right. So I stopped at the one batch that I baked yesterday. I think I'll decorate some of them anyway, just for the fun of it, and freeze the rest so I'm not tempted to eat them all myself all at once. They are mighty tasty dunked in morning coffee.

Our local 300-bed hospital is at 112% capacity today, with about half Covid-19 patients. A week ago there were only 30 Covid-19 cases. The Thanksgiving surge is how they're characterizing it. I didn't go to my sister's for Thanksgiving. Five of the six adults interact with the public on a daily basis, and while they wear masks and no one has tested positive, it just didn't feel right. Won't see them at Christmas, either. 

Keeping up spirits Zooming with friends. Six from high school and college meet every Tuesday at 7 pm for a chat. We're all in our 80s and right proud that we mastered the technology. It helps that the daughter of one chatter is a junior high principal, so if we're really stumped, she can ask one of her 7th graders for help. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hubby's surgery went perfectly! He will now spend the next 5 days or so in the hospital, and I will get the remote all to myself!  LOL  Perhaps with the snowstorm coming I will get some mini time in.  The girls want to come over and make cookies on Saturday, so that should be fun.  :) 

• Like 2

No snow here, but cold and raw. About to put a pot of baked beans into the oven. 

The beehive cookie mold arrived! Gonna make some of these when the beans come out of the oven. Sugar cookie base, ground walnut dough for the tree, and rum custard for the filling.

image.jpeg.2e0ac1fad1ed3a7521863f3f67f3ace9.jpeg

Instrumental Christmas music playing. It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas -- or what Christmas used to be, anyway. :) 

Edited by KathieB
  • Like 2

On 12/17/2020 at 3:47 PM, havanaholly said:

Oh, Kathie, those do look yummy!  The Kid and his dad have reminded me I need to get started baking cookies.

They are yummy! Have rationed myself to one a day so there will be some left to share with the rest of the family. Like Thanksgiving, I won't be attending the gathering but will contribute some holiday goodies. Baking kolaches today (or tomorrow -- day is off to a slow start). Have been finding my Czech/Bohemian roots in the kitchen. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 10:13 AM, blueirishmoon said:

Thanks Holly! When I first saw that pattern in the book, I said to myself, I'll never make that, but it was just a matter of finding the right project inspiration to make me stitch it up.

it is stunning!

Hubby is making slow progress and I haven't killed him yet.  Yet.   He def is NOT a very good patient. :grrr: As he gets to feeling better he is less and less a pain in my - - - neck, but still isn't really feeling up to doing a lot of reading or pursuing any type of hobby.  He used to paint in high school, and was quite good.  My daughter gave him a starter acrylics paint kit for Christmas and I am hoping that he will eventually delve into that, rather than spend his days yelling at the cat.

In the meantime, I have put working on minis aside and have picked up my genealogy research again.  It's a much quieter hobby when hubby is trying to nap.

Our oven heating element blew up on Christmas morning, so we've been limited to stove-top, microwave and toaster oven cooking until yesterday.  With the new element in, we were finally able to bake one of the casseroles that our Sunday School class prepared for us.  It's so nice to have a couple of these frozen meals on hand for when I just don't have time to prepare a dinner.  Last nite was a chicken & stuffing casserole. Bless them!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jbnmini said:

Hubby is making slow progress and I haven't killed him yet.  Yet.   He def is NOT a very good patient. :grrr: As he gets to feeling better he is less and less a pain in my - - - neck

I can relate...I am glad he made it through. Have you traced back to Mayflower yet?

I haven't felt like doing any miniature work lately. I started taking pictures and measuring some miniatures to list on ebay, but with the mail delivery so screwed up, I think maybe I better wait a while before I try to sell anything. I've read that a lot of ebay sellers' packages arrive really late or not at all. In the last couple months we've had 2 bills, a letter and a check that never arrived. DH finally asked our son about online bill pay though our bank.

Since my just under 2 year old laptop crashed & died suddenly in December, I've been updating my recipe files - again. I was working on that on and off on my old laptop during the summer. I'd deleted or added or changed lots of recipes, now I'm doing it all over again. Because of this I've been bitten by the baking bug. This past week I tried out a recipe for an easy coconut cake. The cake was so-so, but I loved the frosting made with a box of instant coconut cream pudding. I tried it yesterday with added drained, crushed pineapple on a pineapple cake made with a mix. Loved the frosting more than the cake, though the cake was fine. I also tried a Jordan Marsh muffin recipe. I substituted cranberries and pecans for the blueberries. They were ok, but not quite what I was hoping for. I'd like to try one of my coffee cake recipes and add cranberries & pecans, but cranberries are not available right now. I wish I'd bought a couple more bags.