What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I found a photo of a version of the Stickley rug I'm stitching and changed the color I was going to stitch the background from a neutral gray to pale ecru, and I'm stitching that background now.  Joel, if you're interested I'll stitch another one for you!

Waving from SW AL to let you know we were in the direct path of Hurricane Sally as it made landfall 25 miles to our south last Wednesday AM, when we lost power and internet.  The original estimate, because 98% of the county lost power and more than 2000 poles were damaged or down, was two to three weeks, but that was before power company trucks from all over the rest of the state came pouring in.  We cleared the tree that fell across our driveway and blocked it, and our neighbors have helped us with the worst of the big limbs.  We finally got our electricity back yesterday afternoon and our internet came back late this afternoon.  We lived on a dead end road in Havana, too, so we have a small generator that will pull our fridge and TV and one or two small items.  Being campers, we had some freeze-dried meals that took care of us until the hubs located our camping stove.  I was VERY glad that we decided to have a back porch built a few years ago, because we didn't have to stand in the rain to run the generator or to cook (not at the same time, thank you).  Our neighbors on both sides have whole-house generators they ran 24/7, so we always had white noise to lull us to sleep.

• Like 1

My first hurricane was in West Palm Beach in 1948, and we lived with my grandparents who managed an old four-story hotel.  The next day my mother, grandmother and the hotel maid were all up on the fourth floor mopping water and sweeping broken glass.

Glad you are safe Holly!

Hubby and I recently took a family vacation to a lovely house outside of Boothbay Harbor, Maine.  It was a wonderful week of watching my 9 1/2month old grandson learn to walk, and keeping our 3 year old granddaughter adequately entertained!  

Back home, our various house projects are underway: the newly re-upholstered wing back chairs arrived for the front sitting room and look AMAZING!  Now we just need to find a new area rug and make a decision on curtains.  I love the new look of the dining room/sitting room! So cozy!

The gutter guy was here yesterday, so looks like gutter repair will happen in November.

Also in November, the plumber will be installing a new tub-surround (the old one finally cracked) so we'll give the upstairs bathroom a facelift if there is subflooring damage (which would mean tearing up the old vinyl).

The upstairs is also due for some new carpet.....but we haven't made a decision on that yet.

Lots going on right now, so not much dollhouserie happening.  We've been moving furniture around and my work room is still full of stuff waiting for hubby to do a project in the other room first.....blargh. Wonder how long I will have to wait for THAT?  :/

Anywho- supper for us has been lots of leftovers and Chinese this week!  LOL Tonight we are meeting my daughter and granddaughter at a local restaurant to eat out on their deck.  :) 

We put in an Acorn Stairlift for my mother when we first got to our new home in NE. The upstairs bathroom has only a tub, and the downstairs one has only a shower. There's no way she was going to use a tub, and it was less expensive to add the Stairlift than to remodel the upstairs bathroom. She's gone now, but I find that it is a lifesaver for my knees! I love it!  We had the first annual inspection today (free) and it got a good report - no problems, nothing looming in the foreseeable future. Very happy to hear that.

And I had to renew my website today, which involved switching to a new format. I'm not sure how it happened but I had a substantial chunk of credit on file which knocked the price down about 2/3!  After all the expenses and upheaval we've had lately these two things really brightened my day! :) 

• Like 1

Finished with the dark green and the project. Just posted a picture of it. It's a beautiful pillow with red roses. Started the daffodil pillow tonight. Went through at least 3 colors so far. It's a bit more spare in design, with lots of background stitching. Dinner was meatloaf with a side of rice a roni.