What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

If you live in New Hampshire, I'm sorry but I promised my son to make three hours of political calls using their auto dialer system, today. Please forgive me. - Sable's post

Auto dialers are one of the contributing factors to us not answering the phone unless we recognize the number.

• Like 3

Love my caller id.

Having had many MRIs over my years of living with MS, I have learned that the music is usually not loud enough to be heard over the machine. I usually skip it altogether. I also bring a set of earplugs to wear beneath the headphones. Once I'm in the tube it's lots of deep breathing and concentrating on relaxing. Almost fell asleep during the last one:sleep_1:

We are having friends over to watch the big game this evening. I spent yesterday cooking so I just have to warm up the chili and set out the buffet.

• Like 1

DH wants to go to the Jazz Brunch at 5 Sisters Blues Café, where the Jazz Society used to hold our Blue Monday event.  I'm all for it!  We shall also watch the 'super Bowl, both for the game and for those wonderfully entertaining commercials.

We got so fed up with auto-dialer calls that when we moved we dropped the land line.

17 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

DH wants to go to the Jazz Brunch at 5 Sisters Blues Café, where the Jazz Society used to hold our Blue Monday event.  I'm all for it!  We shall also watch the 'super Bowl, both for the game and for those wonderfully entertaining commercials.

We got so fed up with auto-dialer calls that when we moved we dropped the land line.

That sounds like a great Sunday plan, Holly.

Somehow Lloyd has managed to get robo calls on his cell phone. One of the most persistent is calls from a company in India that tells him they have detected severe problems in his computer that they can fix as soon as he gives them permission to access his computer remotely, which he did one time. I caught him on the phone with his new best friend from India and put a stop to that nonsense in a hurry. I also had to jump on him for calling back on hang-up calls (auto-dialer calls); once you call the number, you have given them permission to call you, even if your phone is registered on the federal no call list. I've finally convinced him to Google the phone number to feed his curiosity. 

His computer is also plagued with ads and pop-ups and virus warnings even though I've installed anti-ad and anti-virus software for him. He seems to be a magnet for electronic uglies. I don't let him anywhere near my computer. I relented one time when I had 3 tabs open to compare rugs that I was auditioning for the living room. He managed to close the tab on the one we liked best as he was toggling among the choices. It was one of about 630 choices on overstock.com, took me nearly 20 minutes to find it again. 

Kathie said: Somehow Lloyd has managed to get robo calls on his cell phone.

Me too. I've started having to check my cell phone before I answer too. BTW, I find the quote function very confusing now, so I shall not use it.

On the subject of those annoying calls, every now and then, after the land line phone answering machine function does it's thing, asking the caller to leave a message, I can hear the rep from one of those annoying companies saying "hello? - hello?  - hello?" One time, annoyed, I picked up the phone and replied "Don't you recognize an answering machine when you hear one?" and I hung up.

I block any calls that are not in my phone book.   No robo calls! 

Working on measuring all my windows which is a bigger job that I thought.  We have so many windows and all different sizes.   I want to put cellular shades on the windows that get the intense sun.  We have incredible views so I wouldn't want to block out the view on the big windows.  I do not hang any kind of curtains or valances so I think some nice cellular shades will do the trick.   Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on this? Thanks

Super Bowl later......GO BRONCOS!

We've all received those calls that sound just like a person on the other end but it's actually a computer, right? Well, I just heard that there's software that can enable the computer making those recorded calls tell just how angry the person it has on the line is. The software makes adjustments and backs off if the callee is way too angry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grazhina said:

We've all received those calls that sound just like a person on the other end but it's actually a computer, right? Well, I just heard that there's software that can enable the computer making those recorded calls tell just how angry the person it has on the line is. The software makes adjustments and backs off if the callee is way too angry.

Too bad they hadn't figured that out when we had a land line...I always said something rude s I hung up on the computers; DH laughed at me, but he did the same thing!

I can sympathize with anyone having an MRI. I had one when I had my brain aneurysm. I had a splitting headache, had already waited in the ER waiting room for 2 hours, and then I had 45 minutes doing an MRI, followed by a spinal tap, followed by an hour long ambulance ride to another hospital, and finally followed by surgery, which took care of the headache but left me flat on my back for the next 8 hours, whining the entire time. Every time I thought things couldn't get any worse, they did. LOL Made the MRI look pretty tame by comparison, though, after all was said and done.

Oog, Kelly; that's like the day I went to the doctor for a routine physical to get scrips renewed and wound up in hospital getting my first pacemaker.  The following AM part of the follow-up (that began before breakfast and didn't wind up until long after lunch) was having the wire leads' placement checked in a mini MRI machine.  The tech and I had words because she demanded I raise my arm over my head and the electrocardiologist who placed he device had spent time the day before explaining why I needed to keep my arm no higher than shoulder high for the first six months (so the electrodes wouldn't pull out of my heart muscle).  I won.

Many fillings today.  'the dentist backed off his original e$timate for my four lower incisors, since I need at lest three more fillings.

Kelly, they may have had you lay flat for so long because of the spinal tap. After my first one, the worst nurses I've ever experienced left me sitting up in a wheelchair waiting to go in for an MRI. Since spinal fluid doesn't clot, mine kept leaking out until the hole healed up. I had a positional headache for 3 weeks. Couldn't sit up for longer than it took to use the bathroom without migraine-like pain. Did I mention DS1 was 2 at the time? Not fun at all.

Super Bowl party was a success. Everybody left stuffed and happy :)

Kathie, I am overjoyed at the outcome. Lisa (unbeknownst to me) was looking up the statistics for surviving a basilar tip aneurysm and they weren't all that great (I'm glad she didn't tell me anything until afterwards). In the end, I was in ICU only a week and then went home. The ICU nurses were so happy. I was the healthiest sick person in the ICU and I was driving them crazy. At one point, they had to put the sides up on the bed and turn the alarm on because I was up and about so much. I was very, very lucky.

Cynthia, this was in January of 2014. I had coiling done for the aneurysm and then after an angiogram, they found out the aneurysm was filling with blood again. So in January of 2015, I went in and had stents put in. This January I went in for what was my last angiogram and they checked everything. I now have a clean bill of health. But guess what? In a year I don't need another angiogram, but instead I get to have - you guessed it! An MRI! And it will probably take another 45 minutes. I could cry.

Claire, I was one of the lucky ones. But you're right, having a horrible headache while having an MRI is not something I like to remember.

Sarah, they had me on my back because when they do the coiling and the stents and the angiograms, they go through an artery in the groin. I've had to be on my back for 8 hours every time I've gone in. They just wanted me to lay still with my legs out to make sure the artery isn't going to rupture and start bleeding. That really hasn't been a problem except for when I first came out of surgery. My time sense had totally deserted me and 8 hours felt like 24. I was so disoriented. But after that, lying still was just boring. Wow, I can't believe that happened to you with a spinal tap. I can't imagine a headache like that for three weeks.

Holly, I think what you're going through with fillings is worse than what I went through. I am paranoid about going to the dentist and if they have to do any work, I want to be out for it, even for a filling. I have to get another tooth pulled now and I am so putting that off. And good for you for standing your ground with the tech!

So what did every one else do for Superbowl Sunday? I didn't even know it was a Superbowl day (sounds like I missed a heck of a good party at Sarah's, though).

2 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

...So what did every one else do for Superbowl Sunday? I didn't even know it was a Superbowl day (sounds like I missed a heck of a good party at Sarah's, though).

DH & I went out for a Sunday Jazz Brunch,  late afternoon, and had our dessert during the first quarter.  I gave up at the end of the third quarter.  I rooted for Denver because I wanted Payton Manning to win the Super Bowl before he retired; otherwise I'd have gone for the Panthers, being a Michael Oher fan.  I didn't think the ads were as good as in years past, although the one Jeff Goldblum did was a hoot; the Doritos were the best, IMO.

The dentist was a most pleasant surprise.  I can't take epinephrine with the novacaine, it throws me into tachycardia, and with the pacer I didn't think I wanted that.  Neither did he, as it happened, so after he used a very effective topical numbing agent on my gums he pushed a different fast-acting agent that he took his sweet time injecting so I didn't feel the usual sting, just a gradual gentle pushing sensation.  It doesn't last as long, and had begun to wear off as he was finishing up, so I was able to eat lunch without biting myself or slopping my water down my front.  While the cleaning last week wiped me out o that I wound up taking a 2.5 hour nap,  today was 45 minutes and I'm good to go again.  Kelly, I have had real butchers play with my teeth, so I know what you fear.

Super Bowl Sunday was a nice relaxing day, my Broncos won in spite of all the hoopla about the "other team"  so I am happy.  I made pizza for the Pizza man and I just had some soup and grilled cheese.   I can't think about eating when I am focused on the game   lol

That all brings back memories, Kelly.

I had a renal artery aneurism coiled (or so I thought) when I was 20.  The procedure to confirm it was an aneurism and not a kidney stone as they had thought when they blasted it with the lithotripter the previous year, and the procedure to coil it both required 8 hours flat on my back.  I did sneak out of bed once before my time was up the 2nd time, but nothing went wrong. 

I found out almost 10 years later that they coiled the wrong artery, so I didn't lose my entire kidney after all.  The thing already had a calcium shell keeping it from ever rupturing, so no worries.  I'm starting to wish they had found an aneurism in my head this past fall.  The neuro ophthalmologist  said I have a mitochondrial imbalance that is causing the ice pick headaches behind my eye, but the meds he put me on tore up my stomach, so I'm back on Tylenol (and lots of it) to deal with it.  At least there's a treatment for aneurisms.  Apparently not so for this condition.

I have several days of house cleaning before an overnight trip this coming weekend.  Usually my DW keeps me up all night cleaning instead of getting much needed rest before a long drive, but this time, she will be at work all night, so I'm just cleaning for her peace of mind.  We're taking a short trip to Orlando for the miniature show on Sunday.  We haven't figured out what we'll do after the show, but we're staying until midday Monday.  I was planning on making it a quick day trip and leave the boys with a sitter, but DW wouldn't hear of it.  The problem is, my boys won't keep their hands off of anything.  When I took them to Home Depot last month, I looked away for a moment and my 6 year-old was climbing a stack of lumber taller than me.  I wonder if it would be considered abuse if I duct taped their arms to their sides while we're at the show? :p

Is anyone else going?

I wish I was going to a miniatures show!   I have never been to one!   Enjoy Jeremy! 

Going to Physical Therapy twice a week for my SI joint and my back.  12 weeks of PT and nothing seems to have improved.  I see my doctor tomorrow to find out what's next.  I am a bit worried.  One thing about living so far off the map is medical care is scarce and you have to drive a long way to get to any.  In my case,  65 miles ( one way)  to Santa Fe and then back when you are hurting is a bit tough. 

Roxy,

I think there's a show in LA, but that's about it.  Living far from civilization has it's perks, but being so far from a doctor is a serious drawback.  I live about 5 miles west of the nearest hospital, but there's practically nothing all the way west to the Gulf Coast, so ambulances rush by all day long on the state road we live around the corner from.  If they're coming from Chiefland, the last town before you reach water, then they have been on the road for about an hour.  That's a waste of the "golden hour" if it's really serious.  They have been trying to get a hospital built out that way for almost 20 years, but every attempt has been blocked by the lobbyists for the two medical centers in Gainesville.  There's no reason for it other than profiteering.

I finally filed our taxes early this morning.  I wish I had done it sooner- we're getting more back than we ever have before.

Half of us are fighting hay fever from the ever changing season here in North Florida.  I wish it would choose one and stick with it.  84 on Thursday, 28 this morning, wet, dry and warm again.  My sinuses go crazy and eventually turn into a sinus infection.  I lost my voice 2 days ago.  Our little Shailene is down with it too, but she's too young to take anything for it, so she's really miserable.

just realized that you're only about 450 miles away from Biloxi, Jeremy. If I do treat myself to Disney after graduation (and that looks very possible right now), I might have to make a pitstop with my crew, drop in and make sure your houses are okay..... After all, we all have a responsibility when it comes to dollhouses, right?

• Like 1