What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Packing away all signs of Christmas. Tomorrow is King's Day (Jan 6), time to put out the Mardi Gras green, gold and purple. Mardi Gras itself is early this year -- Feb 9 -- so this town will be rocking with balls and parades all packed into a limited time frame.

• Like 2

Heading for surgeon's office today for follow up to my Dec 17 colon surgery. Feeling tip top. Was warned not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for several weeks. Remembered that as I was hefting the Christmas house above my head, onto a shelf in the closet. (Not enough room here to have it on display all year around. *sigh*) Didn't feel anything pull or pop, so figuring healing is going full speed ahead. 

Need to reconstruct 2015 bank accounts in Quicken -- don't ask. I was so well organized until I did something really stupid thoughtless. Then I have some a bunch of genealogy stuff to catch up on, and THEN I can get back to minis. It really hit me when I looked at the Pierce entries in my blogspot.com blog and saw they were dated 2011. The Beacon Hill has been sitting here since 2013. Thank goodness for the Forum and all of you active builders to keep my mini juices flowing!

• Like 3

I'm expecting you to get good news from the surgeon; I suspect that if they'd found anything suspicious you would have had a call to come in sooner. 
We're running errands in town (Pensacola) today, since Friday after my consult my pupil will be dilated.

7 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I'm expecting you to get good news from the surgeon; I suspect that if they'd found anything suspicious you would have had a call to come in sooner. 
We're running errands in town (Pensacola) today, since Friday after my consult my pupil will be dilated.

Went to my primary care physician on Monday. She checked path report on line and found it marked "in progress". This is a tad confusing. What takes 3-1/2 weeks to test in pathology? Anyway, I do expect to get good news, since the samples taken in two previous colonoscopies proved to be aggressive but benign. 

I spent the morning digging holes in my front yard.  4 of 12 posts are ready for construction and two corner posts are cemented in.  I looked up all of the materials needed to finish the porch and it looks like I seriously underestimated the costs.  I'll need almost $700 to finish it.  Theoretically I could at least make a functioning porch without the railings for about $450, but we wouldn't be permitted to use it.  Apparently you must have up to code railings on all surfaces more than a few inches off the ground.  Our deck will be 3 ft. high.  This project won't be completed until after we get out income tax return.  I'll have to shore up our old steps until then.

This evening at work we all got some entertainment.  The corporate rep who supervises the overall operations of contracts here in the far southeast was trying to stop the hemorrhaging of contractors.  Of the 30 of us who weren't cut when the contract took effect, 17 have now found better opportunities elsewhere.  I'm still looking, but haven't gotten any calls yet.  The latest colleague to leave was explaining to him that there is no incentive to stay when there are no annual pay increases, no benefits, no change of ever getting on permanently with the VA, too few hours and working nights is a negative, not a perk.  She also told him that you don't reward your workers with a massive pay cut.  The real problem for the contractor now is, you can earn about the same wages at McDonald's, so nobody is beating down the door to come on board.  They need to either take a loss in one of their other revenue sources and pay us a real wage, or just give up the contract to a company that can deliver without trashing their human resources.

Sorry to hear you are struggling Jeremy, it seems to be everywhere.   There is so much unemployment out here its shocking.  The contractor that built our house years ago was telling me that the only construction he gets now is repair work.  Sad. 
We bought the house that we had been renting for several years.   We weren't able to work on it because we didn't want to put money into a house that we didn't own.  Now we have so much to repair it isn't funny.   One thing at a time right?  At least the roof leaks are fixed!!!

We had more snow last night and more coming.  I will get to try out my new all wheel drive car today on our road.  Wish me luck!   There is no such thing here is snow plowing so you are on your own!  

• Like 1

Getting back to normal after yet another house move. My mom's sewing room has moved upstairs to combine with my Dad's hunting storage room. The old sewing room is transforming into a much needed office for DS1 and DH. Finishing 2 hollow core doors to use as desk tops. One is getting added to DS1's current desk giving him a lot more room to spread out his college work. The other is going on top of two filing cabinets, instant desk! I'm hoping to get my repurposed kitchen island painted today. It's a cabinet my dad made almost 30 years ago. It's been through many changes and each one is as useful as the last.

• Like 2

I started a new job 4th of January, ie a new school in a new Town. A school with kids aged from 6-16, ie kindergarten to last year of obligatory school. The staff came back from their holidays on the 7th of January and we had two full Days of in-training/Conferences trying to get to know each other and for me to get a grasp of the school.

the 11th of Janyary the kids came back from their Holidays and it has been a fast track ever since. I must say, eventhough I fully enjoyed my other school with the staff and puils there is a whole World of difference in how they surrounding structures and support are which I can really feel in my bones right now. It has been a 55-hours work week and yet I am still not worn out or tired, rather filled with positive energy.

Sometimes a change is a good thing even if it at first feels tough to take the step and change, but in my case this change is truly a Life changing and saving thing, so am just so grateful for my new surroundings! Will be going home in a ittle while, just eneded to "gush" a Little somewhere...

Hugs

• Like 4

My sweet mother, who turned 93 last Monday, has fallen three times in her bedroom. Not sure how she does it, but it's when she's getting out of bed. I guess she doesn't quite get her balance, or doesn't get her legs under her, and down she goes. So this last week DH and I have been installing railings in her bedroom, and in our hallway. We put the "institutional" type in the bedroom - the kind you see in handicapped public bathrooms, and she loves it. She can actually reach the bar while sitting on the edge of her bed, and pull herself up. Then hang on to walk to the door. But in the hallways I wanted something a bit classier. So DH bought the type of railing that goes in a stairwell. It came unfinished, of course, so I pulled some stain from my mini-stash and he painted it; then sprayed it with a clear sealer. It looks wonderful, but he wasn't happy with the roughness of the finish. Even after sanding it, it was a bit rough.

So I said, very sweetly, and non-bossily - "One of my miniaturist friends (a.k.a. HavanaHolly)  said she uses crumpled brown paper for the final patina."  So he tried it, and, of course, it is now as smooth as glass.  But he was VERY impressed that this carpenter trick came from my miniature community!    :construction:    I think we all moved up one notch in his estimation. :) 

• Like 5

We have had some construction going on in our house this week as well....our bathroom downstairs is getting a much-needed overhaul!  The final push came when the wall-mounted potty began to have a slow leak, ruining the floor and leaking into the ceiling of my workroom!  Yuk!   Hubby installs upscale kitchens, so doing a small bathroom is easy peasy.  I am SO excited- it looks fantastic!!  :cucumber:  Can't wait to put my stuff back in....and go buy a few new things!  Gee, that rug doesn't match anymore....guess I have to go buy another one!  ;)

• Like 1

Well, I have had a very productive few days! My workshop (detached from the house) has become a catch-all, with craft items in bags all over the floor, after being hastily removed from the house when the bazaar season ended. I grabbed myself by the scruff of the neck and marched me out to the shop, and got busy! :bangin:  The results:  all boxed kits are now off my workbench and into the workshop attic, neatly stacked, flat, safe, and easy to access. All extra non-mini "stuff" has been removed from the attic - some to the trash and some to the Goodwill. Plastic bins have been sorted, and many emptied. Then, with DH's help, a warped shelf was emptied, turned over, a brace added, and the items replaced on the the shelf.  A second shelf was braced to prevent further sagging. (FYI - those 'pretty' pressed-wood shelves are designed to hold RL butterflies and nothing heavier!)  Still with DH's help and his trusty Shop Vac ALL corners were cleaned out, throw rugs were cleaned, and the floor was mopped. 

I now have a very nice work area again - workbench is cleared and ready for business - and I finally found a room box I had planned on building a couple years ago!  That will be my first warm-up project for the year. It's already out of the box, and I do hope it is all complete!

• Like 4

I haven't been around much - classes have started again and they added three day internships into the mix. Class load is five courses on two days per week - it is a bit much with all the homework we still have to do....... so, no mini life right now I'm stealing a few minutes here and there. But I have to tell you all, with all this, minis are still my 'happy place' - I'm planning on starting a cape house today for an auction in march, while reading 5 chapters and prepping for a test. We'll see how that goes. 

I apologize to all the newcomers to the forum that I haven't said hello to - I try to keep up but it's a pretty big work load right now.

• Like 1

Chris, I'm sure that new members will understand that your degree has to come first right now.  I took me 3 1/2 years to build the Dura-raft San Franciscan because I did it whilst attending nursing school full time and working part time at the hospital my last two semesters.

Let's see, yesterday I had to go to Santa Fe for a root canal....I would have rather gone to Hobby Lobby!!!!    Physical therapy today.........is there an end to all of this?

We had a tiny bit of snow last night but it evaporated today.  You read that correctly.  The snow here often evaporates instead of melting. 
I haven't felt up to working on my Arthur the past few days but I did entertain myself looking around on the internet for more ideas.  

I'm so tired, but happy, and this is a great place to share:-)) My 5th grandchild was born last Monday, the 18th!! I would have never thought I would have 5 grandchildren! I have two children (twins), a son and daughter. They just celebrated their 35th birthday January 7th. I can't believe I have 35 year old children; I still feel 35 myself..on some days:ermm:   My daughter is the new mom of a son who weighed 9lbs and 13oz, 23 1/2 inches long.  Nope that is not a typo. This was her 3rd child, and I've been so blessed to be in the delivery room with all three.  This one, I have to tell you, scared me terribly. She just could not push him out; her doctor should have NEVER let her go into labor like that knowing he was a big baby. Her previous son weighed 9lbs 3ozs. She is on the mend, and I am exhausted. 

I looked forward to catching up with everyone here as though it was getting together with my friends. It's the strangest thing:-)) how we all feel as though we know each other and yet the majority of us have never breathed the same space.  I was thinking the other day if this site went down there would be no way to communicate as a group, just dropping off. It would be such a loss in my heart.  Keeping abreast of all of our life issues is as important to me as the passion for creating in miniature.

Anyway...............I so appreciate my bizarre relationship with you all:-))))

• Like 2

Congratulations Sue! No grandchildren for me yet. My sons are 28 and 32. They are nowhere near ready.

My oldest has moved back home for medical reasons. His wife let us have him so we could research and schedule a medical procedure which now NYU, The Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fl and Duke University are all agreeing to do.  Now we just have to figure out the logistics and costs. Since his treatment is experimental, insurance will not cover it. So we are weighing our options.  Unfortunately, the treatment is just a bandaid and he could be facing the same issue in another 5 to 10 years.  But it's amazing how medical science is advancing. Every 5 years a new treatment for his condition is discovered and he gets to be the Guinea pig.  Hopefully, this new band aid will last longer than the other one we did 5 years ago. The one five years ago had a one year recovery period. The new one is just a two week recovery!

• Like 1

Congratulations Sue!  :D  Wow- she's had some BIG babies!  My kids were big as well....the girls now joke that their brother (my youngest) came out a toddler!  LOL  He was 10 and a half pounds.  Best wishes to them all!

No grandkids for me yet, either.  :(  I am trying to be patient, but not doing a very good job of it!

Sable- what an adventure your family must be on with all of this medical issue stuff!  I can't imagine.  Sending best wishes for a successful procedure for your son!

As for me.....I just received another dollhouse rehab client!  If you are counting...that is FOUR now in my work backlog! Yikes!  I am very excited about this new house, but, dang- sure could use a clone of myself- or longer days - or a good reason to quit my fulltime job!  ;)

Hope all goes well, Claire. Waiting for test results can be worrisome.

I have gotten a bee in my bonnet that is telling me we ought to take a cruise next summer. Found one that goes from Copenhagen to New York with stops in a lot of northern European cities, including an overnight in St. Petersburg. Visiting the Hermitage Museum has been on my bucket list forever. Trying to work out the logistics.