What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Congratulations Sue! New babies are the sweetest minis of all. My DS2 was 9lb 14oz and 221/2 inches long at a week early. The recovery was not really too bad...I was up and moving much faster than with my first who was 6lb 3oz. Fast forward 15 years and DS2 is now 6'3" tall and weighs around 190.

Clare, hoping your dr's appointment goes well and any scans show the all clear.

A trip to the vet is in the works today. My avatar Gibbs has some kind of cyst on his neck that has broken open. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, but it is quite disgusting. When I get home from that, it's time for some more sanding and painting on my kitchen island. By then, I will surely need a nap:sleep_1:

1 hour ago, claireliontamer said:

CT scan was inconclusive so now I have to have an MRI next week.  I just want to get back to work full time!

Kathie - I've travelled a lot around Northern Europe so if you want any advice let me know.

Bummer. It's a drag when modern technology doesn't do what you expect. MRIs are not my favorite kind of test.

I've seen a good bit of northern Europe as well, Claire. May have a few questions as we near the date (September). The cruise itinerary hits some cities I've not visited, so it will be a real treat.

I went to the dollar store to look for masking tape and found dollhouse furniture... I only got one on each, but maybe I should go back and pick up a few more... I was so excited, I also found a few more things I think I might be able to use... I also got this bird feeder kit I'm going to use parts to make a bed... I'm not sure how yet... lol

After I went to hobby lobby for a few scrap paper sheets and felt. 

This first house is def a budget house... 

20160130_154121.jpg

20160130_155135.jpg

Sable, your club seems to be well organized. :)

I am busy stitching on the needlepoint kit I bought a while ago. Am about 3/4 finished and figure if I don't make a push to completion now, it will get lost in a cupboard and not resurface for years. It's 13 threads per inch mesh, 18 x 25, which is 45,630 stitches. You'd think I could have started smaller, but I am a great fan of Clementine Hunter and wanted a piece that would make a bold statement. Silly me. This is the un-stitched canvas from the website (The Quarter Stitch is in the French Quarter. How twee is that? )

I started at the bottom and have been working my way up. Finished the church tonight. What's left is the sky and the leaves of the three trees on the left. They are done is two shades of green that are not well differentiated, so they make my eyes hurt. Am leaving them for last. I'm a bit baffled by the areas of dry brushing in the sky strokes. Not quite sure how I'll handle that effect. Will probably just arbitrarily decide on the shape of each component. Nobody will know what's underneath once it is all stitched.

qs-134.jpg

• Like 1

Kathie, how many strands of floss are you stitching with?  You can pull a strand of one color and replace it with a strand of the second color when you're stitching color that shade into each other (when you use three strands you stitch the first row that way, then replace another strand of the first color with another strand of the second color for the next row).  That is one of our favorite paintings, BTW!  I think we might have to plan a trip to The Quarter Stitch next time we're in NOLA.

I'm stitching with one ply of 3-ply wool, not floss. I thought about pulling it apart to mix two colors, but it doesn't like that approach. Besides, Clementine Hunter rarely (if ever) used a dry brush technique in her delightful paintings. I think these patches are a bit of invention by the artist who painted the canvas.

I'm up for a visit to The Quarter Stitch any time you're in town. 

19 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Rosie, which dollar  store?

Yes they are Dollar Tree furniture. I wanted to find anothrr desk, I seen someone on here made a kitchen unit I want to try to make something similar... but no desk, all they had left was a bed, 2 tables and a small chest of drawers so I got those... do other dollar stores also carry furniture?

I'm getting really excited about this house, the ideas are flying... hopefully I can get out and actually make them work. Lol

20160131_125506.jpg

Edited by le.doll.house

I made kitchen cupboards and cabinets out of the $1 hutches that Michael's used to sell.  I had good results with the heat gun softening the glue, or just quickly dipping the piece into boiling water (hold it with tongs).  Some folks use their microwave, but since some of the hutches contain little pins to hinge the doors I don't think that's a good idea.

I've microwaved my Michael's hutches to soften the glue with no problem, but you have to watch them carefully and after a while take them out every few seconds to check the glue. I left one in there a few seconds to long and the darn thing burned.

Last week when I was moving some more of my old miniature furniture stash to my new craft room I dropped one of the little dressers I bought at the Dollar store years ago. That's when I found out that the drawers opened. I never knew. Turns out that the heavy varnish they used just glued the drawers shut. For a buck, I thought they were just faux drawers.

Michael's has dollar furniture?! What do you cut the wood with? I tried it with a kitchen knife without removing the piece... huh hhmmm Imma try sanding it, not to successful. I was trying to trim off the edge, make it just straight... 

20160131_153103.jpg

Edited by le.doll.house

Congrats, Sue!

My older brother was the smallest of us 5, and he weighed 9 lbs 10 oz.  I was the largest at 11 lbs 14 oz and over 26" tall.  The rumor goes that the maternity ward at Fort Knox didn't have any diapers large enough, so they had to make a run to the store after I was born.  :p  The other 3 were between 10.5 and 10.8 lbs.  Mom must have been a glutton for punishment.

I have been cleaning out the bedroom my daughters will share in the near future and went through my mini materials in the process.  I found 5 HOM furniture kits that are now the property of my DD #1 and will be projects for us to work on this summer.  I also found my supply of large diameter fiber optics.  I didn't think I could use it when it was given to me, but the U.S.S. Constitution project gave me an idea.  I have had a partially built 1:350 model kit of the Titanic since the late 90's.  It's right at 36" long, and I was putting fiber optics in the windows of the hull when I ran out.  At the time, I was installing 3' lengths with the intention of setting up a conduit under the ship that would lead to a light source lit with element bulbs outside of the hull.  The problem is fiber optics at the time ran about $1.50 a foot, and I needed almost 4,000 feet of it.  The cable wasn't the exact diameter of the windows either.  The new plan, is to build an inverted "T" frame out of thin plywood and install it inside the hull.  The T frame will be lined with the same LED strips I used in the Tudor house and Constitution.  They'll fit nicely, run for about 20,000 hours and put out little if any heat, so all I need are 1" or shorter lengths of cable.  I have almost everything I need to make a great diorama of the ship sinking into a resin ocean.  Of course it will have to wait until the Tudor is done.

• Like 1

Goodness, Jeremy! I have to ask, how tall are you now?! I can't decide if it would be harder on a mother to have a few big babies, or a large number of them, like my father's mother did: she had 10 or 11, but only 8 survived to adulthood. I can't wait to see your Titanic; I hope your new plan works out!

• Like 1

Congrats Sue! My daughter was 10lbs 1oz (which was surprising because is was 92lbs when I got pregnant!). I had no problems having her, but my doctor, who had not seen me for 2 weeks prior, told my mom that if had known she was so big, he wouldnt have let me even try to have her. My boys were big, but not near that big, but they also early. Lawson was 22 days early, so I joke that he was my 7 1/2 lb preemie!!

Tuesday my grandbaby will be one, and we had his party today. It went well, but I am exhausted! My daughter did a good job with the planning and decorating, bless her heart. Parties sure were easier before Pinterest. (which is another reason I don't Pinterest). I was on cake and cupcake duty. I have almost 2 dozen cupcakes left if anyone wants to stop by!!

• Like 1