What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

42 minutes ago, le.doll.house said:

What is Xylene?

You find it in the paint section next to turpentine. It melts glues, some plastics and paint. I found out about the plastics because I tried to remove some paint off of an ugly dh toilet seat and it melted the plastic seat.  I mostly use it to remove the glued on fiberglass webbing attached to the tile sheets I get at Home Depot. I place the 12"x12" sheets in a bucket and pour the Xylene on it and in a minute the webbing peals right off. When all the small tiles fall into the bucket I wipe off any excess glue and fill the bucket with water to rinse them. But I've also used it to dismantle doors and any glue screw ups. Again, outdoors and rubber gloves are required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sable said:

You find it in the paint section next to turpentine. It melts glues, some plastics and paint. I found out about the plastics because I tried to remove some paint off of an ugly dh toilet seat and it melted the plastic seat.  I mostly use it to remove the glued on fiberglass webbing attached to the tile sheets I get at Home Depot. I place the 12"x12" sheets in a bucket and pour the Xylene on it and in a minute the webbing peals right off. When all the small tiles fall into the bucket I wipe off any excess glue and fill the bucket with water to rinse them. But I've also used it to dismantle doors and any glue screw ups. Again, outdoors and rubber gloves are required.

Thank you... I am going to have to remembet this for next time. I tried the hair dryer method but Im not sure it worked. But I hacked at it in little bits and ended just removing the whole thing. 

4 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Goodness, Jeremy! I have to ask, how tall are you now?! I can't decide if it would be harder on a mother to have a few big babies, or a large number of them, like my father's mother did: she had 10 or 11, but only 8 survived to adulthood. I can't wait to see your Titanic; I hope your new plan works out!

Cynthia,

I'm only 6', but I've been this tall since I was 11.  I guess my growing days ended early.  My dad's company in the Army nicknamed me "tank" and they were sure I was going to be a defensive lineman one day, but I didn't reach 100 lbs. until shortly after I graduated from college, so no football for me.

Anyone using Xylene, be careful with that stuff. Depending on the concentration, it can be pretty nasty.  If you have ever seen the Nicolas Cage movie, "The Rock", in the opening scene when he's in a room and his gloves start to smoke, bubble and melt off, they probably used Xylene to get that effect.  It's exactly what happened to me all day long for weeks back in 2000.when I worked in the themed fabrication industry, we used it with certain kinds of paints, but it was strong enough that it would burn through/melt industrial rubber gloves within 5 minutes and the fumes dissolved the filters in our respirators.

• Like 1

I miss so much on the forum during the Home Show season! Can't be on my computer at work.  Just finished a 4 day hitch that was so busy I seldom got a chance to sit down!  I like to come in early so I can walk around and see who's who, and this event has an Antique Corner to it, so that's where I go first. Of course I look for minis and talked to a lady who had some at home - which she brought in on the last day. But while browsing the aisles I came face-to-face with a full-sized 1:12 Garfield Mansion by Greenleaf!!  The booth belonged to a construction company who built custom houses, specializing in the old-timey look.  So here is their 10x20' booth with three full-sized dollhouses - Greenleaf's Garfield and Glencroft, and the Classic Bungalow by RGT.  Unfortunately they were on the opposite side of the room from where I was working. :(  They buy these kits and then contract to get them built. But the lady who does most of their work was not happy with the Garfield - took her two months of non-stop work with it set up on their dining room table. She told them she won't build one that big again. The houses are completely unfinished inside - no paint, no wallpaper, no flooring, no furnishings except lacy curtains that show from the outside. These houses sit in their main store, in the front window, and the lady said it really brings in the customers! It brought in a lot of business in the Home Show also!

So I told her that if her current builder is getting burned out, or if she needs more houses in a shorter time frame, that I would be glad to help her out! It was kind of funny talking with her, because she really doesn't know much about dollhouses. She apparently Googled the style she wanted, found the kits, and bought them; then found someone to build them for her. I walked up and said, "Oh, what a beautiful Garfield Mansion!"  and she just looked blank! She didn't even know what she had! 

• Like 3

Our microwave started acting up. DH said that when he made himself a cup of tea, the oven kept on running after he took out his cup and shut the door. It had been making weird clunking noises all last week, and yesterday the clunking stopped and the thing just started misbehaving. Years ago I had a microwave that ran with the door open, something I was told was impossible, but when the Sears repairman showed up he discovered that the impossible had happened. My microwave was running with the door open. The repair service operator hadn't really believed me.  Ever since I take no chances with microwave ovens. They have to run correctly or  bye-bye oven.

So, I looked online to see what all the stores in my area had and found one that would fit in the cabinet and was powerful enough for our daily use. There really weren't very many choices. This last one that broke was less than 2 years old. The first one I ever had, the one that started running with the door open was great in a way. Sears gave me a new replacement microwave. In 11 months it started making a loud noise. The repairman couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, so Sears gave me yet another microwave oven. I kept getting a new microwave every year, and this was 30 years ago when they were pretty expensive.

1 hour ago, claireliontamer said:

I'm waiting for delivery of my new storage unit so I can finally organise all my accumulations......will then need to build it when it gets here so I suspect I will then be swearing at ikea instructions!

They are called *magic* words, not swearing...  We used to have a bookstore and amongst our customers were Hell's Angels and Outlaws, so I acquired a fairly extensive vocabulary.

• Like 2

As the last CT proved inconclusive I had to have an MRI scan on my head this morning.  I'm having a lot of brain related problems at the moment which they're investigating.  It was an awful experience.  The scans I have had so far haven't been too bad as they're fairly quick but this MRI was horrible.  I felt really claustrophobic and it was so noisy despite them giving me headphones with music playing.  It took forever too, I think I was in the machine about 40-minutes whilst they got all the pictures they needed.  I've felt out of sorts all day since it :(

Now have another wait until it is interpreted.

13 minutes ago, claireliontamer said:

As the last CT proved inconclusive I had to have an MRI scan on my head this morning.  I'm having a lot of brain related problems at the moment which they're investigating.  It was an awful experience.  The scans I have had so far haven't been too bad as they're fairly quick but this MRI was horrible.  I felt really claustrophobic and it was so noisy despite them giving me headphones with music playing.  It took forever too, I think I was in the machine about 40-minutes whilst they got all the pictures they needed.  I've felt out of sorts all day since it :(

Now have another wait until it is interpreted.

My sympathies Claire. MRI scans are no fun at all.........and the music is usually naf!.........The only consolation is that it's usually 40 minutes well spent!....Best of luck!

Claire, I can empathize with your experience. Had an MRI on my shoulder about 8 years ago, ordered by my general practitioner because of pain in the joint. Hope never to have to do it again. I hope your 40 minutes produces exactly what the medicos need to know to put you right.

What was really maddening about my experience was that after hand carrying the MRI film to the orthopedist, she did not look at it. Really. She said she preferred the old fashioned method and sent me for an X-ray. When she saw on the X-ray the problem that I could see even more clearly on the MRI, she was ready to reach for her scalpel. I nixed that idea. Happy ending, though. Found a natural product through a naturopath that apparently dissolved the growth, as I have not had any pain since.

Today I soaked my white summer hats in warm water with dishwashing liquid and Oxy-clean & they came out looking really nice and white again. The mixture soaked the sweat marks right off my light blue cotton visor too. I was afraid to stick my favorite hat in there, but it looks perfect so far. I hope it doesn't  shrink while drying. On the other hand, I couldn't wear it as dingy as it was, so no big loss I guess.