What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

We stopped at the ReStore and our favorite big thrift store on the way down to Lulu's.  The kids picked up their race packets and we decided it too much of a zoo, so went on down to our favorite beach eatery for very late lunch and stroll on the beach after.

• Like 1

A beautiful day, sun shining. We're going to pick up Aunt Louise on our way to her brother Hubert's 91st birthday party. Louise is 85 and suffers from sciatica. She at first declined our offer to bring her with us, as the 2-to-2.5-hour drive will be difficult at best and no doubt painful. She called us back to say she'd had a premonition and feels she needs to see her brother. We are going to spend the night in a motel so she won't be faced with 4-5 hours driving all in one day.

On 27 februari 2016 12:54:54, havanaholly said:

I take it you don't ride with your hubs.

Later this AM we're heading down to Lulu's Gulf Shores so DS and wife can pick up their packet for tomorrow's races; she's doing a half marathon and he's doing 10k and it's godawful early enough that his dad & I will be doing zzz's.  There is plenty of mischief and attractive nuisances on the way down and back, as well as there. 

No, not this time, we brought his along with us in a bike "bag" also nick named "the bus" so I am only trekking/bling/climbing the hills around in the area. Would have needed the mountainbike to be out on the roades, hilly and windy so Hubby is loving it especially as it is riding in the warmth and sun.

hugs

23 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Kathie, it will definitely be worth the motel stay to let Louise and Hubert visit.

I'm not sure it was worth it. Louise and Lloyd were both depressed to see how far Hubert has come along the road to oblivion. It might have been kinder to let them remember him as he was. 

He kept calling Louise by someone else's name (not always the same name), had no idea who Lloyd (a favored nephew) was, didn't know that it was his birthday, kept asking what he had done to win all these prizes, and almost continuously folded and refolded a tissue while telling anyone who would listen that the numbers were missing. His daughter kept at him, making him change into party clothes early on, making him wear a paper party hat and pose for photos with everyone there so she could use the photos to make some kind of photo montage even though he complained the dunce-like hat was hurting him; when it was finally removed, there were deep indents where the elastic chin strap had cut into his neck. She admonished him (for our benefit) when he took off his belt and unzipped his pants in full view of all of us, then later admitted that this was not unusual; when the sun-downing occurs, he wants to go to bed and will undress wherever he is. She insisted he talk to his grandchildren on the phone (she called each of them); he seemed even more befuddled, kept asking who was talking to him and showed no recognition when she kept repeating the caller's name. Two or three times during the afternoon he reported that he was feeling very sad, although he wasn't able to tell us why. I felt very uncomfortable observing Hubert's discomfort and was really sorry we had come.

I think in the early stages of dementia it is beneficial to the person to have the support of loved ones and trained medical personnel to help keep the person in the here and now with whatever tricks of the trade are available -- and there are many. But at some point the tricks and training don't work any more and there is no of improvement or even maintaining the status quo, especially in a chaotic environment. Personally, I think it would have been kinder to arrange a quiet visit with his sister, not trot him out the for dog and pony show that he was subjected to yesterday afternoon with swarms of people and music so loud we were having to shout at one another.  

End of vent. Thanks for listening (if you've read this far). The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not reflect those of anyone connected to the forum

• Like 2

Oh I am so sorry!  I agree a quiet visit would have been kinder; I think that was what I was expecting, given his age and mental status.  How sad for his daughter not to realize this. 

We had a wonderful trip to Battleship Park.  We toured the upper decks of the battleship itself and then toured the SS Drum submarine, which is still being restored.  Afterwards we stopped for late lunch/ early dinner and then on to Daphne, AL, and a tour of the artwork at the U. S. Sports Academy.

7 hours ago, chapchap73 said:

Apparently, my first forum check of the morning came before I had enough caffeine for full processing power because I just noticed Holly's album posts!!! Did you finally find a digital camera that likes you?

Yes, it belongs to DS#2 and he took the pictures.  He then VERY patiently walked me through the process of loading them onto the computer so I could upload them into my albums.  DH found the box with all my photo CDs so I have begun restoring my missing albums and I may also make some new album whilst I'm at it.

• Like 4

Bought a new RL over  the stove microwave oven today. Although it's kind of the same model we had before, the new one is requiring new holes in the upper cabinet for the cord and three screws. So I guess I'm going to have to fill the old holes with something so the spices can stand up without falling into the old holes. Probably have to get some epoxy putty. These cabinets are only five years old and the bottom looks like Swiss cheese.

Went to Gulfport, MS, today with Lloyd and cousin Gloria to shop for clothes that fit me. Got 5 pairs of capris at the Treasure Hunt (a railroad salvage type store) and scored a pair of dress slacks, a lightweight jacket and a dressy slacks/knit top set at the outlet mall. Added to the clothes in my closet that I can still wear, I'm ready for any social situation short of a formal ball. Felt good to slip into clothing 3 sizes smaller than what's hanging in the closet. :D 

• Like 2

Next week it is supposed to be in the low 70s I am so excited... we got about an inch of snow last night. I am tired of the snow. I have a Dr. appt. on Monday with the Radiation Dr. I still need to make the mammogram appt... I am so scared to do that one and I have to see my gyno for my yearly exam.... I think I have to wait until after May 8 for the Mammogram appt. Probably should call dr. to make sure.

worked so much this week, I didn't get anything done in the basement and its been so cold and I hate going down there when its cold cause I freeze.! 

kellee

Lazy Day today, its Our 22nd wedding Anniversary. I worked on stripping our cast iron skillet.... hubby is relaxing in his recliner.... and the boys are out tinkering in the garage.  its sprinkling here, but its not so cold.... ready for some nice warm temperatures.!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.!

• Like 1

Happy anniversary, Kelly!  For our 25th DS#2 got a photo of the two of us and put it in a silver frame.  For our 50th the same son located one of our wedding photos and had it put onto a cake for us.

Going to start to prepare for going home in the morning after two weeks of relaxing and having FUN on Fuertaventura. Purr-fegt weather and hotel as well as hiking/trekking tralls and cykling routes for Hubby. Just added a pic of My vacation mini-ing too.

hugs

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Luanne said:

I am enjoying "Back in time for the weekend" episodes by BBC on Youtube (learned about the show from Claire.) 

After this I need to mow and pull weeds to get ready for Spring. 

Glad you're enjoying them, I have a massive crush on Giles Coren the host which makes it an extra good watch ;)

Have you seen the first series 'Back in time for dinner?' it's also a good watch but focuses on food rather than activities.  

I am back from the show and it's 8:30 at night and I am going to bed. I am wiped out from today, plus I had forgotten there was so much bending to do to see everything. My back was killing me and I had to leave at least 3 times to sit down and rest (but I always got up and went back in). So good night to you all and may the miniature fairies above sprinkle a little magic dust on you. fairy7.gif

Today is the day we figure out how to get the attention of the Orleans Parish Sewer and Water Board. There has been a water leak pumping out gallons of water an hour creating a bubbling stream in front of our condo and several others, making walking hazardous. I've been out there almost daily raking the oak leaves into a somewhat successful dam to keep the water on one side of the sidewalk. The water seeps under and the leaves blow -- not the best damming material. The grassy area between the  sidewalk and high curb (preventing the water to flow into the street) is totally flooded. Folks must walk a half block to a dry area to cross and then walk in the street to get to their cars. To bring in our groceries and other items from our car, we must park behind the building and haul them in the back way, a much longer carry. 

Oak leaves are decaying, creating a not-so-lovely odor, and the two huge live oak trees that produce them are standing in water several inches deep, which isn't good for them. Added to the mess is the drain in the street that is a few inches higher than street level, so only a little bit of the water that does manage to get over the curbing flows into it, rendering the parking spaces on the street pretty much of a tidal basin with a permanently rising tide. 

This has been going on for weeks now. What's really pathetic is that the S&WB folks were here several months ago to "fix" this very same problem. In lighter moments, we debate between stocking the moving stream with trout and planting rice. Either, I think, could be cost effective.

The apartment/condo management claims to be calling the S&WB daily, but our own attempts to phone them have so far proved futile. The line is either busy or goes unanswered. I've suggested they use sandbags to force the water over the curb at the site of the leak so as to eliminate the half-block-long stream and its attendant flooding, but nothing is happening. 

I'm going to try to make a video of the situation today and phone the local TV stations to see if I can drum up any interest. Any other suggestions for dealing with a recalcitrant city entity are most welcome.

Kathie, calling the local news station might be the best idea.  It would bring attention of the viewers, to the lack of services by the water/sewer company that all the customers pay for on a monthly basis.  Having to live with those conditions could be a public health hazard. 

Kathie, I would think the city's liability insurance company would be mighty displeased about this situation as well.  It's an accident waiting to happen along with, as Gayle says, being a public health hazard. Seems like public media is the best way to get action. Maybe a dumb question but do they have a Facebook page?

We also have a monthly city council meeting that is open to the public in my town for this type of thing. Sometimes the attendees get drug out:-)))), but it is effective.

Sue and Gayle, thanks for the input. The video didn't work out too well, but I now have a couple of dozen photos to share and am about to contact the TV stations. I would think the apartment management would also be anxious to get this fixed, but all I get from them is "Well, I'm waiting for a call from one of the supervisors." Ha. Like that's going to happen.