What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

We had quite an adventure taking The Kid back home to Tallahassee yesterday. We had the left rear tire separate from its tread, slewing us around both lanes of the interstate highway before DH brought us to a safe, but sudden and bumpy stop on a muddy slope.  The two motorists behind us and the highway patrol officer who stopped demonstrated how basically kind and decent people are.  It took nearly two hours but our roadside assistance service finally sent someone to change our tire.  The cover over our truck bed no longer has a rear window and there's some bends it didn't have before, but they didn't touch the tires and we were able to take DS#3 home and continue the rest of my post-birthday trip s planned, and are now home again.  I am just very, very glad tht the rest of my family have guardian angels as loving and protective as mine!

Glad everyone is safe, Holly!

I am ready for the holidays to be over!  While I love having my son and daughter in law home for these past two weeks....I am exhausted from all of the prep and hoopla (and late nites!) surrounding our family gatherings!  I used to thrive on this kind of stuff....but while I do enjoy the entertaining, my body just can't handle it anymore.  :/  We have one last activity left for this week: an annual New Year's Eve gathering of our church Sunday School class.  Don't think I wanna go this year. 

Our family had another soul lost this past week- an older cousin died the day after Christmas.  His viewing was last nite and his funeral is today.  I want to be there, but I am simply just too exhausted for another 'social' event.

Once the new year is here - and my son and daughter in law return to Florida- the work will commence on our downstairs bathroom renovations!  Yay!  Hubby isn't working this week, so he is off buying new light fixtures, towel rods, etc.  :)  It won't be the total reno that I would LIKE to have take place (think HGTV), but I am happy just to have it look better than it does now!  lol 

And of course a new year means new resolutions.....one of mine being to finish organizing my mini work room and another is to get my daughters to help clean out the guest room closet!  :D

Happy New Year!

Yikes Holly!  Glad that turned out ok.

I have been busy with work, the ship and RL projects.

Last weekend I cut out a space in our kitchen island for the new smooth top stove we bought.  The two large burners on the island range exploded about a year ago and the built in oven died a couple of weeks ago.  The only part of the installation I didn't like was crawling under the house to run a 4th wire to the circuit breaker.

I'm heading to Home Depot later today before work to pick up some lumber for the front porch I'm going to build over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

January 1 - 2016 - we made it through another holiday season! Whew!  

You may remember that I am not one who likes, or makes, New Year's Resolutions, but for this year I do have a plan, if not a resolution - which means I won't kill myself if I fail!   I have declared 2016 to be year of working on, and hopefully completing, my beloved Federal Manor. She has been sitting patiently for SIX years on my workbench.  Sometime during this last year I started writing down detailed plans for her, and I bought a power tool - without which I could not complete said plans.  She must have been looking over my shoulder because she's been speaking much louder lately. (Maybe she thinks I'm finally ready to get near her with tools in my hand!) So I am anxious to get started!  My daughter gave me some money for my birthday and when I told her what I used it for she was flabbergasted. She said, "Never in a million years did I think my mother would go buy a power tool for her birthday!"  :rofl:  Stay tuned, Little Girl, Momma's doing a lot of crazy things! :) 

• Like 3

Way to go C J! Looking forward hearing about your progress!

As for Malung New Year's resolutions, not My thing either really so all in all it menas that I will allow myself some more "me" time doing things I like and want to do...

Hugs

Thank you, Cynthia.  The insurance adjustor is supposed to come by on Monday to see what needs doing to fix the truck.  They said they won't pay for a rental whilst the truck is in the shop and I have an appointment Friday for a consult to get my cataracts done, so his might take some time.  At least we can drive it, we didn't roll it.

On 31 december 2015 03:50:58, havanaholly said:

We had quite an adventure taking The Kid back home to Tallahassee yesterday. We had the left rear tire separate from its tread, slewing us around both lanes of the interstate highway before DH brought us to a safe, but sudden and bumpy stop on a muddy slope.  The two motorists behind us and the highway patrol officer who stopped demonstrated how basically kind and decent people are.  It took nearly two hours but our roadside assistance service finally sent someone to change our tire.  The cover over our truck bed no longer has a rear window and there's some bends it didn't have before, but they didn't touch the tires and we were able to take DS#3 home and continue the rest of my post-birthday trip s planned, and are now home again.  I am just very, very glad tht the rest of my family have guardian angels as loving and protective as mine!

Don't know how I missed this earlier, yikes!!! So glad that it came out so well though. Hugs

Holly, I am so thankful you came out with just shaken nerves. Scary stuff!

All my Christmas stuff is down and put away in boxes waiting to be stowed in the attic. DH and DS2 will take care of that later this morning. Then the house needs a really good vacuuming/dusting/straightening session. I'll be moving the worktable I bought two years ago into the back den in hopes of being able to get some mini project going. RL has been so hectic, and my MS has not allowed me any serious mini time in far too long. Thank goodness for all of you guys and your wonderful projects. They keep me going!

• Like 2

Today DH wants to get a new battery for my PT so we have something to run around town in whilst the truck is in the shop.  That and the grocery store are our outing for today.  We finally have our cold front, and the less time I have to spend out in it, the better I'll feel about it!

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:50:58, havanaholly said:

Holy Moly, Holly, that could have been very serious! I'm glad you're OK. I had tread come off a tire once on a freeway. It wasn't nearly as bad as what happened to you guys, but when I got home, the fender behind the tire was curled back from the force of the tread hitting it.

Oh, because I missed it - HAPPY(late) BIRTHDAY to you!

The weather turned cold and wet yesterday, so I wasn't able to get much done on the new porch today.  I was able to cut notches into the corner 4x4's, plotted the column locations and mark the work area with stakes and string.  I dug one hole for one of the posts before rain put an end to my work for the day.  Tomorrow I hope to dig at least half of the post holes and get the posts cemented into place.  If I don't hit too many snags, I should have it finished by the end of the month.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Thank you, Kelly.  I like to think our survival of what could easily have been a fatal wreck was my birthday present from my guardian angel.

It was your guardian angel's present to us, too!    

22 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I picture my poor guardian angel with his hair snatched out and no fingernails left!

I picture some of our guardian angels heading to the great First Aid Station at 9 Gold Street, Heaven, where they get their bumps and scrapes doctored, and maybe a torn wing patched up. I'm sure they often get squished between our cars and the others on the highway, protecting us from a collision. And maybe a torn feather-rotator cuff from holding a heavy car right side up. :cloud9:

Been stitching a mini rug by Janet Granger the last few days. Just have to block it, hem it, and fringe it. I found it on ebay for only $1, but that could be because it was missing it's thread. It was the blue background version of http://www.janetgranger.co.uk/product/barbara-small-green-dollhouse-needlepoint-carpet-kit/. I didn't care for the colors, so chose my own: yellow roses instead of pink, and blue background that's not as gray in tone. My stitching doesn't look quite as pictured, probably because I don't stitch the way they tell you you should...Still, I think it looks great. And if I could ever get Logan to figure out how to fix the gallery for me, I would post a picture of it! I haven't been able to add anything since that last update in October. I've tried everyone's suggestions, and Logan wasn't all that helpful when I talked to him. So, I don't know what's going on with it. I'm not doing anything different, and Sable was able to test post a pic for me, no problem. :mad: I hope to eventually pair it with a yellow shabby chic sofa by Lee's line in a cute little cottage setting.

Thank you, dear Debra!  The insurance adjuster came out yesterday AM and gave us the paperwork to take with the truck to the dealership.  In addition to replacing the damaged panel they are supposed to take care of the rear window of the bed cover.  After the adjuster left DH went to the tire store and got a replacement tireas well as a new battery for my PT Cruiser to see if a new battery would make it run.  Which, when he installed it today, it did, without overheating.  So now we are ready to take the paperwork to the dealership and schedule a shop appointment.

• Like 1