What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Glad you're feeling better Holly!

I just got this series of texts from my son Lawson. "Did you give Roommate's parents my number?"

No, I've only talked to them in person, but note to self, I maybe should have their number. I have 1/3 roommates' number, so at least there's that...

"Okay. Just so you know, I'm okay and I'm alive and please don't try to break into the Dorm building to check on me."

What???? So while I'm waiting for details on what that means, I'm going to the newspaper and news radio websites. His dorm is literally right in the middle of downtown Atlanta, just a couple blocks from the Ga State capital building. So you can imagine the thoughts.

Turns out something was wrong with roommate's phone, and parents couldn't reach him and they "freaked out". Apparently they had not previously thought to get other roommates' numbers. I just had the one because they've been friends for a few years, since high school. I'll have to get the full story on that this weekend when we see him. And probably at least one more roommate's number...

HELLO !!!!!:wave:

I have missed you all so much. I will be popping in often... I haven't done much in the way of minis in a while. I am working on decluttering the house again... I am hoping to be able to get back to minis in the next few months. I had a big wake up call last year in April /May.... and I just want my family & friends... I don't need all this stuff.  So, with work, my medical and baseball season starting up I have to get my butt into gear.

kellee

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kellee said:

HELLO !!!!!:wave:

I have missed you all so much. I will be popping in often... I haven't done much in the way of minis in a while. I am working on decluttering the house again... I am hoping to be able to get back to minis in the next few months. I had a big wake up call last year in April /May.... and I just want my family & friends... I don't need all this stuff.  So, with work, my medical and baseball season starting up I have to get my butt into gear.

kellee

Kelly, we are also your friends and "little family", and we have missed you.  And minis are a nice way to heal your spirit whilst your body heals.

• Like 1

Holly, You have no idea how true that is.!  Greenleaf is MY Family. ! You guys were the first I I told, other than Hubby... and I told you all before I told my boys but I had good reasons for that.! My oldest was just about to Graduate from High School, A happy time in his life... I didn't want to upset him right before his BIG day !

I do apologize, I didn't come back on and tell you all what was going on... I didn't have to do Chemo, but I did do Radiation... then Christmas hit and I was working 12 hour days.! Now hours are way down at both jobs.!   I am coming up on 1 year so I have to go in for the mammo.... not looking forward to it at all... actually I am very upset and scared !

Kelly

Well I'm very glad you shared this, because I'll add you to my prayers.

We attended a boat show in Mobile today, hoping to see all sorts of new boats, including kayaks.  ONE kayak outfitter was there (who has stores in both Fairhope and Pensacola, so we shall be visiting them).  Before the show began we stopped at the shopping center in Spanish Fort that has Michael' and they had the mini millwork, so I stocked up on the two patterns I use the most often.  They also had some really nice charms that I can use in my little houses.  I saw a couple of versions of the tiny porcelain tableware, but nothing I could really use.

I caught up on our accounting, did some filing, spent an hour or so raking leaves to try to dam a broken water pipe that is turning our front yard into a quagmire*, repotted a plant, took the needlepoint to the framers, took a lithium battery to the proper recycle place, ate supper at our local Chinese restaurant (which is run by a Vietnamese family), then stopped at the grocery store for some dessert to have on hand when L's son stops by later this evening. A full day for us! 

*Don't get me started on this rant. It will not be pretty.

We made a trip to the Paradise Island resort in Nassau Bahamas last week. Wandered around the town, sampled some Bahamian food, had dinner in a beautiful courtyard garden, which was one of those places where you can't see what you're eating very well once the sun goes down, but the ambiance was delightful. DH doesn't care for pools or the ocean, so I didn't get to sample them till the last day. The ocean was my favorite part of the trip, the water felt warm, the waves were very strong, it was sort of like getting a water massage. I was wearing my sunglasses, can't see a thing without my glasses, and when a wave almost knocked me over I figured that should be enough. I'd have had a hard time getting back to the hotel entrance without glasses. 

A woman selling souvenier items in one market asked if I did any crafts and was thrilled to hear that I made dollhouses, etc. She said she always asks her customers if they do any crafts and they usually say no, they haven't got time for that kind of stuff, so she was happy to find someone who did. I bought a couple of little Bahamian dolls she made. We agreed I should make a little house for them to live in.

I spent yesterday doing laundry, and last night I sampled some more of the rum cake I bought and tamarind rum jam on fresh Italian bread. Yum.

• Like 1

Grazhina, I can't wait to see the dolls too.  It sounds like you had a marvelous trip!   

You domestic goddesses are making me feel woefully under-motivated with your tales of laundry and dishwashing and such.  (And in between all that and knitting slippers, Tracy still found time to partially rebuild a laptop!!!).   My current pace is "speed-of-snails" and my only goal today is to make it out to the patio and possibly try to find a planter for my new bonsai tree that will be big enough to hold a Zen fairy garden as well.   I'm working my way thru Dorothy Gillman's "Mrs. Pollifax" series for the umpteenth time and happily enjoying the exploits of my favorite spy while I sit in the sun.  The audio books for her are actually pretty good.  

News from the Patio:  The lizards made it thru our two random weeks of abnormally cold temperatures this winter (they survived much better than my bougainvillea did!) and they're starting to make public appearances again.  Zippy dropped out of her hiding place and landed at my feet last week looking extremely grumpy and still groggy from such a lengthy hibernation.  And while I don't begrudge them their dinner, I was disappointed that one of them ate the hummingbird eggs out of the nest that I'd been watching with great anticipation.  <le sigh>  My newest visitor makes the wee hummingbirds look almost microscopic......at first I thought it was a hawk that keeps perching on the lamp post at dawn but after the second visit I realized that it's too big to be a hawk which means that it's a falcon of some kind.   If she would oblige me by showing up after sunrise so I can see her markings clearly I might figure out which variety of hawk she is but she's obviously a believer in that "early bird" thing.  One thing for sure......she's one *really* big birdie!!!   She's almost twice the size of the sharp-shinned hawk who normally hunts the neighborhood.  

• Like 1

Sooo, we are all packed and ready to go, we'll watch something on Netflix and them try and get a few hours snoozing as we will be out of here bu 3am in the morning to have plenty of time to get to the AirPort etc etc and by noon-ish local time we hope to have arrived at the hotel spaning up some sin and warmth!

hugs

Today I am working on 2nd floor staircase balusters, which involves staining the piece that they attach to, [ I should have remembered to do this when I was staining the handrail and one of the bedroom floors last week ] Also sanding and painting the window casings I made last weekend before I start making the frame work for them. Visited family yesterday, had fun but OMG that was exhausting.

Friday morning I rode to a friend's house and took a ride to Lowes with his dad & a 16 foot trailer.  I picked up the remaining lumber I need for the front porch and had it unloaded about an hour before my mom arrived.  She is passing through on her way to Melbourne, FL.  I don't see her very often, so aside from intervening her attempts to raise my kids, it's been a good visit.  She watched them while my DW and I were shopping for a new refrigerator yesterday.  We were able to get one almost 25% larger than the one we're replacing, for a very good price.  It was so good, we also ordered a grill/smoker and picked up a few final items we needed for the house.  I thought the total was a bit too high, but didn't notice until today that we were charged for 3 grills instead of 1.  I have a big family, but not that big.  I took a break from porch construction today to get it corrected.

I was able to sand and paint the 6 posts that are already installed and cut a couple more to put in in a couple of weeks.  Over the next two weeks I'll put a few hours a day in before work, pouring the concrete footer for the steps, assembling the steps, sanding and staining deck boards, etc.  I'm taking the first full week of March off so I can put in 12 hour days finishing it.

Tomorrow I'm moving the Tudor house out into the living room.  I hope to start working on it by next weekend.  I keep saying it, but I am determined to finish it as soon as possible.

One other thing, my DW wants to take a very short trip to Houston soon, possibly during the kids' spring break (March 21-25)  We would only stay 2 days, so the drive over will probably be non-stop.  It seems like an awful waste to drive so close to Holly, Kathie and possibly other GL family members without stopping to say "hi", but we have to keep the trip short and cheap.  I'm trying to convince her into making it a 2 day drive over there with a stop over in NOLA.  That way we can visit everyone, but she's not keen on a 2 day road trip just to get there.  I have a few weeks to change her mind, so I'm still optimistic.

2 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

I love those books, too Deb! They always make me laugh, particularly that first one, when she's foiling that interrogator in Albania. Wish I had seen the movie versions, but I've never come across them.

Both "Mrs Pollifax - Spy" and 'The Unexpected Mrs Pollifax" are available on DVD according to the Google search I just did.