What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Debra, that's adorable!  I finally got the rest of what I needed and baked a batch of cookies this AM and have the first of two batches of shortbread dough chilling, to bake on Thursday.  Tomorrow we take DH in for his physical and then out to breakfast and thrift shopping.  Having The Kid here is a lot of fun, he gets to shop for his homeless friends.

• Like 1

My surgery has been postponed for a week, so I suddenly have a gift of time on my hands. There was some kind of kerfuffle in the operating room, the nurse said. Better a kerfuffle on somebody else's time, I say. A week of anxious anticipation. *sigh* 

I found a recipe for No-Bake Cheesecake Bites on line that look scrumptious. Think I'll make some for Christmas give-aways. I'm not all that fond of cheesecake, so I won't be  tempted to eat them in any great numbers while they're in the house.  :chef:

Got back from a trip to Pennsylvania to visit my son and granddaughter. We just got home late this afternoon and my husband took the suitcases upstairs, then called to me that I should come up and fix the toilet because the water wouldn't stop running. I fixed the toilet for now, but I really should go and buy a new valve tomorrow. Thank goodness for instructional plumbing videos on YouTube. DH can do lots of things around the house, but when it comes to plumbing - not.

• Like 1

Well I got DH's schedule mixed up because we did his labs the day before Thanksgiving, so I'll be baking again today and we'll do the physical, etcetera, tomorrow.  I also have piles of clothes to wash...

Today I am testing out some more cookie recipes for the swap I'm going to next week. The perfect one is eluding me this year :hmm:We have some friends coming over for dinner with a dose of Christmas. They are in the process of moving to a smaller home so all their decorations are packed away. We have 6 trees of varying sizes, plus garland, lights, vignettes.  They should be feeling the spirit by the time they leave :D

• Like 1

Do you ever feel like you would like to unplug the Treadmill of Life and just STOP for awhile?  At my advanced age (post 39) I'm supposed to be slowing down and leisurely reading books.  NOT!   After the craft bazaars finished I started working at the Victorian Country Christmas for 5 days.  At least this is just a paycheck-job, not a gotta-make-more bazaar.  I'm now trying to catch up on all things left behind - bills, mailing packages to grandchildren, Christmas greetings, cleaning up the craft mess (off the dining room table and back out to the workshop) - oh yeah, I would also like to decorate for Christmas sometime before the 24th!  Makes me tired to think about it!

That's a well lit ship, Sable!

The more I look at the ratlines for the Constitution, the more I'm convinced I'll have to make them from scratch with thread.  The one's that came with the kit aren't like the thin, flexible plastic ones I had with the clipper ships.  This set is thick, rigid plastic.  I would certainly appreciate any suggestions Mike from the UK might have to offer, but I think it would ruin the realism if I used them.

This morning while I was riding into work, I looked down at my odometer and saw something I thought was funny.  It was at 86753.  All I was missing was the "09".  It will take a few decades to reach that. :P

Jeremy,, my mother's older bother used to build model sailing ships and he used different thicknesses of thread to rig his ships, mostly black (since a lot of the lines were tarred to slow down rot, this would look authentic)..

I finished baking cookies today.  Friday I'll be baking lots of mini quiches for a party on Sunday.

I went to a gala last night for a charity my husband volunteers for. We ended up being the high bidder for a one week stay on the west coast of Ireland.  I think it's the same county my roots are from. I always wanted to go to Ireland.  Anyone know anything about Durrus, Ireland?

• Like 1

A search on Durrus turned up the following, Sable. The town is the location of a ruined castle built by the McCarthy family; lots of beautiful gardens in the area, and great locally produced food. You can also take a sailing trip through Carbery Sailing. All the restaurants sound good too. The Gallan Mor B & B or the Carbery Cottage Guest Lodge sound like the best options for your hotel.

DS1 is having his wisdom teeth out this morning. I'm doing more cookies while he sleeps off the anesthesia on the couch. I have it narrowed down to two, okay three choices for the swap. Nutella Cream Cheese Crinkles, Lemon Icebox, or my old faithful shortbread in fancy snowflake form.  I use a LOT of butter at Christmas :p

11 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

A search on Durrus turned up the following, Sable. The town is the location of a ruined castle built by the McCarthy family; lots of beautiful gardens in the area, and great locally produced food. You can also take a sailing trip through Carbery Sailing. All the restaurants sound good too. The Gallan Mor B & B or the Carbery Cottage Guest Lodge sound like the best options for your hotel.

Thanks blueirishmoon. The trip includes accommodations in a quaint private cottage. 

image.jpg

15 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Congratulations, Roxy!  Will you be any closer to a paved road or civilization?

LOL  Holly we are in the same house that we have been renting and finally was able to buy it.    I am just happy I don't have to move.  As far as civilization.......still off the map! 

• Like 1

OK, cleared that up.

Today I put up the antiquey looking little Christmas tree in the living room. I hadn't planned on putting up outside Xmas lights this year, but it was 55 and sunny out, so I dragged out the outdoor lights. Of course, 2 of the net lights went partially bad, and I really needed more lights so I felt compelled to go to the drugstore and buy replacements. When I got done with the outdoor lights I decided to hang the wreaths on the doors, but wouldn't you know it - I can't find either wreath hanger. I think I ran across one of them last month, but I know not where. I'm fighting down the urge to go out hunting for new wreath hangers. Maybe I'll stick our penguins out on the front steps instead. They have names, I think they're Joe and Fred. The cowboy Santa is standing on the kitchen counter wondering when I'm going to get around to cooking supper. The other menfolk are wondering the same thing, so I better go cook.

Its funny,  the same house I have been living in for several  years now but not its my house I see it in a completely different way.   Like, now I can actually decorate it and not worry if I will have to move next week!   yay!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I've been there Roxy. We had been renting our first house for a few years and were finally able to afford to buy a home of our own when we learned that our landlord wanted to sell off his properties. It was a good deal. We already knew what needed to be fixed and what was just fine. As soon as the ink was dry on the deed we started stripping the paint off the kitchen cabinets and refinished them. It was so much fun redoing everything to suit ourselves.

• Like 1