What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

These stories remind me ... my father was another male who would not admit to illness, never missed a day at work, etc., until one time when the flu or something similar knocked him sideways. I forget the details. Anyway, my mother prevailed on him to see the doctor. He finally agreed to go tell the doctor he needed a shot of penicillin (his self-prescribed cure). When he returned home, he was livid, outraged, sputtering when he tried to talk. "You know what that *&*&(*^ doctor did? He made me pee in a bottle!" I don't recall if he got the penicillin. I suspect not.

• Like 1

Oh, Kathie!  What is it with these dads?  Mine never went to the doctor; Mother finally dragged him in to get checked before they headed off to Florence, SC, to have all their teeth pulled and get dentures (apparently they had to have health statements from the doctor before anyone would perform the procedure).  Daddy got on the exam table and proceeded to code with a massive heart attack.  (Mother never did go get dentures).

Since my son is moving out in a few days, I've been tackling his room. In a large plastic box hidden in his closet was a massive entanglement of wires: computer, video game, old mouses, adapters, phone and cable wires. It was a mess! So I sat down on the floor for two hours and untangled the mess and rubber banded each one separately. When he came home he saw what I had done and said, "Mom, that's all trash". :(

• Like 1

Since my son is moving out in a few days, I've been tackling his room. In a large plastic box hidden in his closet was a massive entanglement of wires: computer, video game, old mouses, adapters, phone and cable wires. It was a mess! So I sat down on the floor for two hours and untangled the mess and rubber banded each one separately. When he came home he saw what I had done and said, "Mom, that's all trash". :(

Oh but Sable, what a treasure trove of mini supplies!!!

After all that work? I would have flipped my lid and said, "what are you hanging onto it for?!" I'm guilty of holding onto things for too long, Sable, but for me it's usually paper. Old catalogs, notes to myself, etc. I periodically have to remind myself to clean out the old stuff, or stuff that no longer applies...

Edited by blueirishmoon
Forgot something
  • Like 1

Taking a short vacation to visit my grandmother. She lives in a little town about an hour from the baseball hall of fame so we are going there as well. It's also not too far from Schenevus,  which is where Greenleaf  has its headquarters. Maybe I will get some creative vibes from being so close :)

I am terrible about hanging onto favorite magazines like Southern Living and Traditional Home. Today I pulled out 30 of them for a teen girls project at church. We are going to make "subway art". The magazines I handed them were early 90's and still looked like new. Lol it hurt too. 

Yesterday we went to Mobile for the monthly MOJO (Mystic Order of the Jazz Obsessed) jazz session, and we went early to hit the thrift stores!  Of all places, the Good Will bargain store (where they sell ll their rejects dirt cheap) yielded, among other goodies, two mini modern chairs and a mini parlor organ; also some fabric in mini prints, including fat quarters.

• Like 2

Today is Lloyd's 80th birthday. It is the day his Missouri driver's license expires. Never mind that I've been after him for weeks not to leave this to the last minute. When he went to get a Louisiana license yesterday, he found out he needs a letter of clearance from Missouri to get it transferred over. We faxed the forms (for me, too, although I'm good for several months) yesterday. He'll be grounded for a week or more while we wait for the letter to get her from Missouri. 

We will have a small dinner party on Friday at Dooky Chase Restaurant. It is a family restaurant on several levels, as chef Leah Chase is his cousin, and the restaurant is staffed by extended family. While in high school, Lloyd worked there part time. His main job was cleaning the grease traps in the exhaust system. He didn't want to celebrate at all because of the passing of his sister last month, but I convinced him that he owed it to the rest of the family to let them share a happy occasion. Too many family gatherings have centered around funerals recently. He's now enthused about it. Ordered a special cake from Haydel's Bakery, a chocolate doberge for which they are well known. And he has gone though several portfolios of his smaller paintings and drawings and has matted up a collection to hand out as party favors. 

• Like 1

Kathie, I applaud your encouraging Lloyd to Celebrate life! And I would think his sister would want that also. Happy Birthday Mr. Lloyd:-) Those favors he plans on giving sound priceless!!  I just got my drivers license renewed today. Thankfully I had put it on my planner at the beginning of the year.  Alabama has a 60 day grace period, and that surprises me.

Happy birthday to Lloyd! Sounds like a fun time planned Friday. :)

Speaking of drivers licenses... Brennen, the youngest, had his first driving lesson today. He should be eligible to get his license in about 6 weeks. Ugh.

Since Lawson is away at school now, he left his vehicle here and told Brennen he could use it. Very nice of him. So at least that will take 30 minutes of driving off our mornings soon.

Happy Birthday Lloyd! That cake sounds yummy :)

A whirlwind couple of days for me. Mostly lots of driving, but it was just my DH and myself so that was wonderful.  My grandmother is doing well and was very happy to see us. She'll be 92 in November, still fussing about making sure I have enough to eat :p

The biggest surprise of the trip was going to a small diner-type restaurant for breakfast yesterday morning. The owner is a miniaturist, and uses her restaurant to display lots of her goodies.Two counters full of minis available to purchase, a McKinley on the wall over the register, roomboxes and printer trays on the wall, plus every table has it's own scene in a plexiglass box; DH was sure I would never want to leave:bigwink:

• Like 2

Baking a Cajun fig cake is on the agenda for me today, as we have eaten all the cookies and this discussion of cake has my tastebuds in overdrive!

Had to look up recipe ... yummm! I may have to replace the bundt pan that didn't make the move with us.