What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Back in the late 1960's we didn't have a/c or heat in our south Florida schools. Since the growth rate of both baby boomers and mass migration to Florida, the construction of new schools was hindered by retirees refusing to pay higher taxes for new schools and improvements. Most of my classrooms were in portable trailers on double sessions. The hot sun would bake us as if we were in ovens. The teachers were miserable and the students were lethargic. On the rare really cold days (below 45) school would be cancelled. Thankfully, we were only there for three years and moved to Connecticut my sophomore year where I got a more civilized education.  When my husband was transferred to south Florida in the 1980's the first thing I did was tour the new modern schools to make sure my children wouldn't have to go through what I had.

• Like 1

Cynthia- my son, who lives in Orlando, called on Sunday evening, and during the conversation he commented how it had been unseasonably cool that week: it was only 85*.    0.o   

I spent an unreasonable amount of money on getting my tooth fixed this morning.  Perhaps because of my Fibro, I have trouble getting numb, so the doc used the "big guns" on me..... which def worked, but made eating lunch rather interesting.  LOL

Ah, Sable, you brought back memories!  The good ol' days before a/c growing up in S FL.  The schoolrooms had high ceilings and ceiling fans, but those portables! (which were just coming into use about the time I finished high school) were something else!

I'm so excited to say that I accomplished my goal of cleaning my dollhouse today!!!!!!  

I also made the hard decision to part with a dollhouse given to me by a friend. It was unfinished with some missing pieces; it was 1/12 and I just don't have the room.  I have no other friends with little girls interested in minis. It would also have required an extensive bash because the main roof beam was broken. It has been telling me to salvage what I could and let it go for some time now, but I was hanging on. I'm feeling more relieved than sad which tells me I made the right decision.

• Like 2

We just got back from Mayo Clinic yesterday and... I'm cancer-free! I had been told I would never hear that and we'd be watching it for the rest of my life! It's so weird to think that's not even a worry any more. Apparently all the results of the tests since my last surgery in February 2013 were misread. Plus my endocrinologist has been keeping me hypothyroid to keep the cancer from growing but the Mayo doctors said it should be hyperthyroid. So there are some major red flags with my endo but that office is supposed to be the best in the area, if not the state, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. I guess research more and be more... pushy with what care I want/need. I did realize this morning that I had my tubes tied after that second surgery when they said I'd never be rid of the cancer, which has brought up some emotions I thought I was mostly done with. We planned on adopting anyway, but still...

• Like 4

It is, Selkie. My mom cried and cried on the phone. My closest friend finally told me she's been really scared. I've tried to downplay it as much as possible, but I guess I didn't do that great of a job.

Proactive! Much better word. My TSH is currently 55, so brain fog is a major issue. Words don't always work for me the way they should. Thanks, Holly!

Thank you, Sable!

Good news - there's an absolutely gorgeous building on the Mayo campus. I got lots of inspiration pics for us.

Yeah, I know what you mean Holly...

My youngest started college classes this week with a dual enrollment program in high school. And since Anslee is taking her time in school, I now have all 3 kids "in college". Which is funny, since the oldest and youngest (there are 3) are 8 years apart!

Oh Marla what wonderful news!!  :D  I can totally identify with your mom!

My mom had colon cancer surgery a couple of years ago now, and she has been complaining of stomach pain again....she is so stubborn and won't call her cancer or gp doc.  :/   Wish I could just strap her to the hood and drive her there myself!

• Like 2

Jackie, how frustrating that your mother won't get checked out. My own mother, bless her soul, put up with excruciating back pain for weeks, only to find out gall stones were the culprit, a relatively simple fix. When I asked her why she put off going to the doctor for so long, she said she was afraid it was cancer and didn't want to know. I sense your mother may be in a similar place. Keep at her as best you can. Sending hugs to both of you. 

Edited by KathieB
  • Like 1

One of our good local friends did the grin & bear it bit until three weeks ago.  She went to the ER and was admitted and when they removed her gall bladder it was gangrenous!  I have lost friends to cancer; for their sakes, PLEASE get those loved ones to seek medical care, "not wanting to know" can mean a very painful end.

• Like 3

Oooh, Holly, that's just nasty! Poor gal. My dad and brother are the same way. If they're sick, they don't want to call the doc. Whereas my oldest brother, my mom and I are perfectly willing to be reasonable and get in to see that doc asap. This same brother has refused to go to the dentist for the past few years as well. I think he should, just to be sure there's nothing wrong or something the doc wants to keep an eye on. I mean it's not like we're living in the dark ages. Take advantage of modern medicine. You could be worse off if you don't.

• Like 2