What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I'm so sorry for your loss, Kathie and Lloyd, but I'm glad that he's had the opportunity to reminisce with family.

I'm still getting back into the groove of normal life after going on a missions trip to Peru. The three-year-old is back home and running amok in her tutus and new big girl panties. I had a visit to the ER the Thursday before we left on the trip, due to chest heaviness I'd been having for a few weeks and was planning to worry about once we got back. I started having trouble breathing and it got where my ribs were even hurting. They said it was anxiety, which doesn't make sense at all. The ER nurses and docs were all a little freaked that I don't have an oncologist for the thyroid cancer. I have a PET-CT scan in a week and a half, so they had me stop my Synthroid (never mind that my TSH level was already 14.8 before Peru - this will be less than fun). After that we have an adoption conference in Alabama then Mayo clinic in Minnesota the following weekend. No chance to minis for a week or so before we left and haven't had a chance to do anything since. I'm picking up the last couple who went on our trip this afternoon (they stayed on to discuss the possibility of moving there to join the ministry). The hobbit is super excited about going to the airport to pick up "Uncle Paige and Aunt Jim".

If anyone is interested, our pictures from Ferrenafe, Peru are on my Photobucket. They didn't stay in any kind of order when they uploaded. We did some work installing sinks for people who had never had one before, then did a presentation on hygiene/handwashing/food prep, etc, and ended with a gospel presentation. The 91 ladies who attended the presentations on Monday-Thursday came to another presentation on Friday where they received a gift of foodstuffs and a cross-body bag (made by ladies in our church) filled with hygiene items that were donated. The mission we partnered with also has an orphanage and I was there playing with the kiddos several days instead of with the rest of the group. We also visited another orphanage run by nuns, from which a friend adopted two of her children. Then we had a touristy day or two and went home through Lima.

• Like 1

Today starts the one month countdown for Lawson's move out day for college. :( He says he's coming home after one semester, because his friend/roommate is moving into another place. Guess the poor guys missed the part where they signed a school -year contract...

Kathie, I am so sorry for your and Lloyd's loss.  You're in my family's thoughts and prayers.

Our daughter came home from the NICU about two weeks ago.  She's over 7 lbs, but her due date isn't until the 31st of July.  She is already having allergy issues, but she doesn't fuss and spends most of the day sleeping.

I went to see another neurologist on Monday.  His news wasn't any better than the neurosurgeon's.  He thinks the cyst is inoperable, so all he can do is treat the symptoms until the thing takes me out.  It's basically doing the same thing a brain tumor does, only without any treatment options.  I can still use my left hand, but I can no longer feel it.  I better get my last dollhouse completed while I'm still able to.

Kathy, I am so sorry for your family's loss!   I finally had a few minutes to read through and I am sorry it took so long to write something.   Hugs for you. 

I have been running around so fast I think I passed myself in the hallway!   Honestly,  house stuff has taken over my life lately!  Not mini houses, real houses!   FINALLY I found a contractor who isn't trying to rip us off!   I hope we can get our leaks fixed soon before the next monsoon arrives!  
In the mean time, I keep looking at jobs that I know I can do around here that will cost nothing except for some spackle and a little paint!   I know I can fix cracks in the inside adobe with spackle.  I  am asking Holly in particular what kind of spackle do you think would be best on smooth adobe walls?  Notice I said smooth as the inside walls are like a glazed finish and very smooth unlike the outside walls.  I think I can cover the water stains with something I will have to ask at the hardware and then rag paint over that.  

If anyone else has experience with these adobe walls I would appreciate your input!  Thanks!  :)

This holly  uses the lightweight vinyl spackle in my dollhouse builds, but I have absolutely no experience with RL adobe!  I suggest you chat with a local contractor who builds 1:1 adobe houses, to see what s/he suggests.

Jeremy, I'm so glad your little one is home. I remember well those first months of sleepless nights and feedings every two hours. Give your newest mini a gentle squeeze from your mini friends.

I'm very sorry about the news from the neurologist. Is there someplace you can go for another opinion? Mayo or Johns Hopkins? You and your family are in my prayers.

• Like 1

That is some tough news, Jeremy.  Thinking of you guys :hug:

Company in the form of my FIL and BIL tonight. I'm making some marinated skirt steak and short ribs, green salad, macaroni salad and beans. My DH and I drove out East yesterday to our favorite farm stand and I picked up some lovely cucumbers as well as corn. I got a nice bunch of rhubarb also and since I had strawberries in the fridge a summer pie is cooling in the kitchen.  Just in the mood to cook today I guess :)

• Like 1

We went out to lunch in a beautiful Farmhouse Café Taos style.   It is a real treat to sit out  under trees and have lunch in the shade!  What's so great about that you may wonder.  Well, I live out in the sage desert and there are no trees!   I miss trees!  
Then we went to a Mexican Import place and mingled with the tourists.  It was a lot of fun but also very hot out today in the 90's and so dry you feel like the moisture is literally being sucked out of your body ( which it probably is!)   
Hope you are having a great summer Saturday too!  :)

http://www.farmhousecafeandbakery.com/Farmhouse_Cafe_and_Bakery/Welcome.html

PS  There wasn't a "farmhouse" in sight!  

Thanks everyone.

I'm very sorry about the news from the neurologist. Is there someplace you can go for another opinion? Mayo or Johns Hopkins? You and your family are in my prayers.

MJ, last week's appointment was the 2nd opinion.  I would have considered going to Mayo, but like most insurance plans, ours only covers one medical center in the entire country, and it isn't a very good one (Shands at the University of Florida).  Otherwise, I would have gone to Mayo from the start.  I did emphasize to the doctor that knowing what was going on and deciding to do nothing about it, will be malpractice if they just sit by and allow it to cause irreversible brain damage.

Today I painted the doors in the 2 renovated rooms (ouch my neck!!). So tomorrow I'll move down the hall painting more trim and doors. Maybe.

And, I got most everything moved into the craft room!! No houses yet, and there's still a few things packed neatly on garage shelves that I might hold off on a bit longer. I got things unpacked after over a year, and I actually jumped up and down when I lifted out my paint and glue. :) Now that I have a better idea of what I have, I'll probably go buy some matching storage carts. Right now I have black, white, lime green, and baby blue!

Today in Staples, I went and sat in the turquoise chair. I'm usually all about purple. Then I found a cute turquoise rolling cart.

In Target, they had 2 desk lamps 50% off, in, you guessed it, turquoise. And half the storage aisle was teal.

The first thing I unpacked today was a turquoise notepad.

So guess I got my sign on what color to decorate in!! :D

• Like 2

Had my birthday this past week. 32 years young! I always laugh to myself, because I've always thought birthdays are something to look forward to, yet mine falls in my least favorite time of year...Went out to eat, came home and had some tasty chocolate cupcakes I'd baked earlier for dessert. Also spent some time with my mom this week at my local art museum which had a nice small exhibit. The man's paintings are impressionist inspired, so lots of pretties to see. Then we went out to the local Italian place for some delicious pizza....Fun, despite the heat nearly melting us!

So on a whim (as I miss her) I reached out to a friend of Wolfie(Gina) over on facebook and he was gracious enough to let me know thath she is doing fine considering, dealing with some RL issues but hopefully those will resolve in a near future.

I asked him to send on lots of greetings and that I as well as many other Greenleafers misses her and am thinking of her.

Hugs

Anna, thanks so much for the update. I have a Facebook friend who knows her also, but is not near her, so she had no news at all of Gina.  Thanks for passing on greetings from all of us at Greenleaf.

Jeremy, I am so sorry for the health issues you are facing. I am keeping you in my prayers.

Condolences and cyber hugs, Kathie.   :console:

Ho-ly cow. Teachers came back today, and to say I was slammed at work is an understatement! But I expected it, and I know I can only do what I can, so I was good and not stressed. Just hope I have a little time tomorrow to do something else besides answer the phones. Many of the calls I got were for things I didn't have time to do, because I was on the phone! :)

LOL Tracy, me too went back to work after vacation yesterday and I too have beenhanding out l"assignments" to the tech support, the janoitor and others too, but that is to be more prepapred to when the teacher do come back too in another couple of weeks. That hopefully means they don't have to be on the phone constantly teying to sort one mess or another...

Hope it gets a little less phone calls for you today though Tracy

Hugs