What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

My hurricane preparedness box needs revamping. The battery operated analog TV is worthless. Can anyone recommend a battery operated digital TV that will pick up signals when the cable goes out?  Do I need a special antenna too?

Kathie, my recipe comes from Cajun Cuisine, published by Beaux Bayou Publishing Company out of Lafayette, LA.  The first time I accidently made it with hot water instead of sour milk; it's good both ways; also using self-rising flour.  Of course I use a half-jar of Rouse's fig preserves!  The recipe makes a bundt cake AND a loaf cake.

Cynthia, I figure I'm just going to have to figure out Publix's layout or give the responsibility back to my husband. He never really minded it when the kids were growing up. Our rule has generally been, "whoever does the cooking must do the shopping". As a working mom for 35 years, I will always be grateful for the shared responsibilities all of us took on. As long as someone cooked for me, everyone got a clean house and clean laundry.

Cynthia, I figure I'm just going to have to figure out Publix's layout or give the responsibility back to my husband. He never really minded it when the kids were growing up. Our rule has generally been, "whoever does the cooking must do the shopping". As a working mom for 35 years, I will always be grateful for the shared responsibilities all of us took on. As long as someone cooked for me, everyone got a clean house and clean laundry.

My daughter has used some home meal delivery programs. There are many out there that either package the exact ingredients ready to cook, the meals ready to pop in oven, or delivered hot and ready to eat. Many are organic as well. She has a long commute and long hours so once in a while they choose it for a mini break. 

Here is a link for a review of several as well as one my daughter tried (blue apron)

http://greatist.com/health/companies-healthy-home-cooking

http://www.thekitchn.com/blue-apron-product-review-198855

https://www.blueapron.com/

Lawson needed a logo put on his shirt for his dragon con costume. Easy-peasy, right?

Not in our house. Spandex, so couldn't iron on, laser printer posed it's own challenges. No black ink in inkjet...

Trips to 4 stores, 6 hours, and 6 failed attempts later, I finally got something I could sew on.

And we wont even talk about me and sewing... Especially on spandex, which I also had to do some hemming on...

The end product turned out good though.

Tracy, sewing spandex is a chore that deserves dinner out at least. I hate that stuff...slipping out of the pins, running crooked under the machine foot. Yuck!

I heard back from my warranty company, and I will be getting $250 for food spoilage from my dead freezer!  It's a good thing I save receipts as I had to send an itemized list

Sarah that's great you will get reimbursed! It's hit or miss on whether I keep grocery receipts. So good for you. :)

I am not very good with a sewing machine, so I was doing it all by hand. I'm not particularly good at sewing by hand either, but I can get it done. Sewing on the logo was a little tricky because I needed to make sure I was stretching it enough. I did pin it on while he was wearing it, but not enough pins.

This is one of those full body spandex suits. And he wanted stirrups instead of full feet. So I had to cut that out and sew the edges. Fun. You should have seen us while I was trying to draw the lines on the bottom of his feet, and envision how stirrups would work!

If he's wearing the body suit with boots the stirrups would be more comfortable.

Our friend Kathy was performing at the Jazz Brunch this AM, so that's where we went.  On the way home we passed a couple of antique shops that were open  and DH found a little Maori canoe with paddles in one and I found a footed silver salt cellar in the other that will make a perfect parlor stove.

I'm always surprised at how few people take advantage of the miniatures sales I run. So far only 15 Greenleafers have taken advantage of the 40% off sale. Earlier this year I ran a 30% off sale and got 5 or 6 orders. I've been putting things on sale for 40% and even 50% off all this year, but they just don't get sold, and they're nice items. 

I used to stock up during sales but have tempered my urges to ordering only items for which I have a specific need. My tendency toward hoarding became quite apparent when I needed to downsize for the recent move. It may be that in general we are becoming more selective shoppers. Your stock is the finest, Grazhina. I'd love one of everything if I had a place to put it!

• Like 1

I used to stock up during sales but have tempered my urges to ordering only items for which I have a specific need. My tendency toward hoarding became quite apparent when I needed to downsize for the recent move. It may be that in general we are becoming more selective shoppers. Your stock is the finest, Grazhina. I'd love one of everything if I had a place to put it!

I couldn't have said this better! My dream RL house is a 3 story Victorian like my aunt's, and in my dreams the whole of the lovely gabled third floor is full of dollhouses that have plenty of room for all the goodies I would like to own :cloud9:

Since I've begun to make so many items, being on the fixed retirement income, that the only things I might not otherwise make I can't really afford to buy (so I get really creative with the "found" items).

Grazhina, for me it's a cash flow problem. I would of taken advantage of your sale, but I'm tapped out for the moment: went a little wild with the online mini show and ebay lately. Maybe in a few weeks, or when you run your next sale? There are at least 3 things I'd love to buy, but stock is low on 2 of them. Wish you could reserve them for me...

Last evening our family gathered to celebrate my father's 82nd birthday!  :birthday:

His second birthday since the heart attack- two birthdays we never thought we would celebrate with him!  Everyone except my son and DIL that live in FL were there.  We laughed and talked and congratulated my niece on her new condo and my nephew & fiancée on their new house purchase.  We fussed over my brother and his recent diagnosis of emphysema and chided my son-in-law for waiting so long to get his wisdom teeth out! We cheered for my DD and SIL with the sale of their condo on the West Coast and listened to their house-hunting saga here on the East Coast.  The grandkids reminisced about playing games at Gma and Gpa's house when they were kids and Grandpa savored memories of the grand birthday party we threw for him on his 60th.

It was a good day.  :)

Edited by jbnmini
  • Like 5