What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Deb, I have 3 border collies, 3 cats (black, white and siamese) and 5 parrots (3 amazons and 2 eclectus - all of them talk), 4 water turtles, 1 stingray, and then the vast array of fish (indoors and out). This fall we are going to enlarge the indoor pond at work to accommodate the size of the ray and catfish (which are about the size of a 4 year old child).

So, way less pets than I used to have.

• Like 1

Well, we are finally home at long last.

Now we are doing the most unpleasant task of emptying 2 vehicles, dealing with grumpy, overtired kiddos, unpacking suitcases, trying to find the lost and most important ... [ fill in the blank ], realizing we need a run to the grocery store, lots of sighing and whining and wishing the vaca was longer, etc.

Side note: I'm very GLAD to be home. I'm not that great at being away from my own element.

It was a lovely time and I am grateful we had the opportunity but glad to be able to sleep in my own bed again. Can't wait!

I was able to keep up with laundry while we were gone so that's a blessing. My car (the kid car) is SO filthy !!! It needs to be run through a power wash with the doors wide open. ha ha ha

• Like 3

I wasted the entire day in the E.R. on Saturday. I was having a rerun of last November's stomach problem. I'm still on my DW's insurance, so I had to go to her ER, which is notorious for failing to properly diagnose patients. They sent in a college kid first, so I stopped him and told him that unless he's a certified ER physician, he can observe only. I wasn't there to be a guinea pig for students to learn on. I have had too many trainees screw up and make my problems worse. I also told him that CT scans don't detect abdominal conditions unless you have a tumor, so don't waste my time with that either. They eventually sent in the attending, but the kid and several others kept showing up. I was too groggy to remember much of the day, but about 10 hours after getting there, the student came into the room and said the exact same thing I heard during the 12 years that I lived with a non-functioning gallbladder- "your CT scan came back normal, so there's nothing wrong with you." I was dry-heaving at the moment, so I wasn't able to tell him where he could put that poor excuse of diagnosis. When the nurse came to DC the IV and other stuff I was connected to, I did tell him to let that student know that if my condition worsens, I'll go to the ER across town, and if the real doctors over there come to a diagnosis other than "the CT is normal, you're ok", I would be filing a complaint with the medical center and the medical school.

Sorry for venting. It's been a frustrating weekend.

• Like 1

Sorry Jeremy, One Gastro Twin to another. What is your stomach issues? If you dont me asking. I have gerd, fatty liver disease, a small ulcer, and esophageal erosion. Tummy troubles have become my Lot in life.

• Like 1

Sorry Jeremy, One Gastro Twin to another. What is your stomach issues? If you dont me asking. I have gerd, fatty liver disease, a small ulcer, and esophageal erosion. Tummy troubles have become my Lot in life.

I'm sorry you're going through tummy troubles too. I can handle pain well, but when it's in my gut, it incapacitates me pretty quickly.

I too, have gerd, which keeps me from using a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea (I use sleep aides to get my Zs), but I also get erosion of the entire digestive tract. I haven't been able to find a doctor who could figure out what causes it. The ER doc did mention that my liver enzyme levels were slightly elevated, but I hear that every time I'm in the ER with stomach problems. Coincidently, every time I have gone to the ER for GI issues / bleeding, it is always most severe just under my right lower ribs, where the liver is. Their med students aren't bright enough to put 2 and 2 together, so if there is a correlation, I doubt they would know it. I suspect that whatever is going on with my liver is affecting my stomach. I have read that too much bile production without a gallbladder to hold it, can be corrosive to the stomach and lining of the G.I. tract.

The pain and nausea meds are doing a number on me, so I'll probably be scarce (or grammatically impaired) for the next few days.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the tummy troubles, Jeremy! I hope things get better for you soon.

It's stifling hot today! I went to a Pow Wow with my sister and it was fun despite the heat. There was Native American dancing, vendors, etc. I heard about a pow wow in Rhode Island today where a man was attacked and had to be sent to the hospital with a chest wound, and boy am I glad I wasn't at that one!

in just a few short hours I will be doing something I love to do...meeting one of my forum family/friends.....

I have my stuff packed all but this laptop I will do that as I head off to bed...dunno when that will be cuz Im so excited like kid going to an amusement park!!

are we there yet??

I do not have my own transportation so there will be a relay getting me there...the son will take me to the daughters and she will take me to meet Deb.

but the the WHOLE crew gonna come pick me up on wed...so poor deb she gets to meet us all....

the baby giggled for me....Catie and Frank stopped eating and said did he do that...and than he DID IT AGAIN!....she got it a little on video but omgosh it was the sweetest thing....

IS IT MONDAY YET?? :bounce8:

Here's a hug,Jeremy, :console:,sure wish I could do more for ya,boy! Hope your week improves fast!

Hazel,so glad you had a fun day and that it was peaceful at the pow wow event you and your sister attended! :)

http://www.abc6.com/story/26242443/stabbing-at-narragansett-indian-pow-wow

Nutti and Deb,you gals are going to have a blast and I am so tickled for y'all-ya both need this fun time! :D

Selkie,I know,you'll probably need to rest up from your relaxing vacation!LOL Glad y'all got home safely! :)

Deana,are your Eclectus parrots a pair? They are awesome birds! What kind of Amazons do you have? If I ever get back in a place where I can have pets,I want birds again...at least some budgies!

Edited by kat57
  • Like 1

The eclectus are both female. I have 2 blue front female amazons and a yellow nape amazon male. I had a couple dozen budgies and couple dozen cockatiels, but they went to a breeder when I was ill. Almost all the cockatiels were in their 20's. I miss the little birds, I don't miss the work. The parrots are easy.

Hazel,My MIL is 1/2 narragansett where the stabbing occured. I have been to one pow wow but couldn't take the heat. I like Shemitzen at Foxwoods. AC driven Pow wow. :)

Jeremy, You might have fatty liver disease. You can help it with strict diet. I have fallen off the low carb/low fat wagon. Jumping back on September first. If you cut out dairy, you will notice a difference. Sometimes when our liver is sick, we feel green. Sick to stomach feeling can last for days. I gave up Diet Pepsi. It has helped with the ulcer pain. Just letting you know I empathize.

• Like 1

Sorry you've had some health issues, Jeremy. Seems like life is tough enough without adding something like that to the mix. :(

I've just returned from County Fair #4. It was up at the northern tip of Washington's Olympic Peninsula and we had very poor cell phone reception and poor internet connection. But I did take my little micro house with me and worked on it in the hotel in the evening. There has been a shift in my schedule, and it looks like I'll be heading out tomorrow for Fair #5, up near the Canadian border.

Just had to stop by the forum and say hello before I start mundane things like laundry and repacking and planning.

:coffee:

• Like 1

I hope things are going better for you Jeremy, talk about a rough week.

Deana it must be so much fun at your house with all those beautiful animals!

My CHF has been acting up and the water pills aren't working, I guess I'll be headed to the doctor. I have zero energy and just feel like crap. I've stayed busy crocheting hats, the cutest sock monkey ones and some owls, next up will be a couple of sewing projects

OK - so I was the last one to post on here a couple hours ago. Since that time I found out a few things. My daughter has been having a lot of health issues, some of which seem to be affecting her mentally. She will go off on a tangent periodically, chewing out anyone within earshot. She's lit into me a couple times, but I'm her mother - I try to calm her down, then try to forget her hurtful words. Next time she calls she's all sugar and spice. She posted something on Facebook the other day (blasting me), while I was at work and didn't see it, that has all my cousins and aunts calling me to see what is wrong with her.

Now that I'm home I asked my DH what is going on - and he let me know that both my daughter and my DIL think I spend all my paychecks on miniatures - and then use Dad's and my mother's pension checks to pay the bills. #1 - it's not true and #2 - that is absolutely none of their business! Somehow, in the last few years, my husband has become Santa Claus and I have become Scrooge. At 70 years old I'm still punching a clock with 12-hour days to keep the house running and the mortgage paid. But when I found out that both girls think - and say - this, it was just too much.

I am admin of a Facebook group for Micro Miniature Dollhouses and I had invited my DIL to join awhile ago because she is very artistic. So, as admin, this morning I went into the settings of the group, found her name, kicked her out and banned her!! :furious: I put very little about my miniatures on my general FB page, and belong to several "closed" groups where I can talk freely. I just thought my artistic DIL would like to see some of the dollhouse world. Of course, she doesn't object when I buy her daughter a dollhouse for Christmas, or when I spend way too much money on clothes for her two daughters' American Girl Dolls - while sacrificing some miniatures I wanted for myself.

And I will NEVER tell her about the Greenleaf forum!! :pullhair:

Thanks for listening.

• Like 3

C J, I'm sorry your DIL is showing her backside so publicly. I was recently ganged up on by several cousins and an uncle on FB. I deleted all of them from my account. It would be one thing if they had a legitimate grievance, but when they make unfounded assumptions and accusations, especially so publicly, I take out the trash quickly.

Stacey, do be careful with your CHF.

I found out this morning that my primary doctor doesn't accept my DW's insurance plan, so I looked online to find the proper way to remove the staples myself. Apparently, I don't have the right tool for the job. I'm definitely not wasting the time and money to have them removed at the ER (it sure isn't an emergency). I won't remove them until Sunday, so I have a few more days to figure out a way to get it done with the tools I have. Any suggestions?

• Like 3

C J, I'm sorry your DIL is showing her backside so publicly. I was recently ganged up on by several cousins and an uncle on FB. I deleted all of them from my account. It would be one thing if they had a legitimate grievance, but when they make unfounded assumptions and accusations, especially so publicly, I take out the trash quickly.

Stacey, do be careful with your CHF.

I found out this morning that my primary doctor doesn't accept my DW's insurance plan, so I looked online to find the proper way to remove the staples myself. Apparently, I don't have the right tool for the job. I'm definitely not wasting the time and money to have them removed at the ER (it sure isn't an emergency). I won't remove them until Sunday, so I have a few more days to figure out a way to get it done with the tools I have. Any suggestions?

Needle-nosed pliers--very, very carefully.

• Like 1

Jeremy, a quick search on line turned up several inexpensive disposable skin staple removers, one for $2.99 from amazon.com . Walgreen's Health Care Clinic offers staple removal service, no price on line, so call them. They also sell the staple removers for home use. I'm guessing other drug stores also carry them. Google where to buy for a wide variety.

I'd avoid the use of needle nose pliers simply because the ends of the staples are slightly bent to keep them in place. Pulling them straight out (without the crimp that the removal tool provides) will tear the skin at either end and leave you vulnerable for additional infection.

I'm not sure how long the staples are. If at least a half inch, possibly a regular stationery store staple remover could work, but I'd try to get hold of the right tool. With your rambunctious kidlets, I have a feeling these aren't the last skin staples your clan will collect. Look at it as an investment in the future. :D

Maybe your wife could borrow a pair of the ones they use. They look like tiny tipped scissors with a sort of groove that slides under the staple and, as you squeeze it, it bends the ends of the staple upward. If I lived close to you, I'd let you borrow mine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

From the videos I found, the staples crimp into a "D" shape with the flat side on the outside, so the two ends are making contact inside the tissue. I'll look into buying the tool, as I'm sure the hospital my wife works at probably charges big $ for them, since they're single use items and are probably marked up 1,500 to 2,000% actual cost.

I thought staple/stitch removal was free and came with the 'put them in' service. I know any time I have been in, the follow up is free. Good luck and be careful!

Cj, I am so sorry about your family. I don't share any of my hobbies with any of my family 1. Because none of them are interested. 2. I don't want to hear about how much I spend. 3. I got some very nasty comments from some family members, so I shut up about everything.

I rarely post about any of it on facebook and if I do, it's to a selected audience.

• Like 3