What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I have red beans cooking on the stove for dinner. Simple dinner with rice and sausage. My stomach isnt happy and I want something yummy to tempt. I have been running around today cause tomorrow I am in house to finish what I started. Chelsea comes home next Tuesday after being away two months. I have one wall of her room to complete. Then touch up the trim and paint her door. I will decorate this weekend. She told me a really good funny, The running joke in her office is Mom finally got off her butt to complete the painting of her room (i started before I got sick 4 years ago..different color this time) and she is moving out at the end of the year!
Yup. One down!

She has been interning in Oakland, CA. Here is their FB page and their website. Chelsea is the woman with the hat. You can find her brief bio on either. I am glad she is coming home. I missed her face.

• Like 2

post-583-0-90944900-1407180602_thumb.jpg

Two things. Menopause stinks. Tattoos itch.

This one has been on my mind for awhile. My Dad drew this ship and carved it into a block of wood. Sort of like scrimshaw. I held on to it now for 31 years. Friday I had it *carved* into the inside of my right lower arm. If I never get another tattoo, I can say I am complete.

I have been very moody and snappy. Plus with my gut issues, I just keep to myself with netflix.

• Like 1

Heidi, I *love* that tat. What a sweet, endearing, and perfect memorial to your dad. It made me cry when I saw it and recognized the meaning behind it. I'm a little lost for the right words to say how it touched my heart.

I'm joining you in being quiet right now. My brother's return and some of his revelations have screwed up my head big time. Learning that he's my biological half brother and not just my adopted brother has messed me up on a lot of levels. I keep trying to wrap my head around it but it's like trying to swim in quicksand.

• Like 1

Wait...he is your bio brother? How long did he know, I wonder. I can understand being freaked out.

That tat hurt like a ....I can't say. That makes it even more special. It wasn't an easy one.

Very cool tat, Heidi! I don't have any ink myself, but I have a soft spot for old sailing ships, and your dad was quite the artist.

I baked 12 dozen chocolate chip cookies with the kids last weekend. Between the batches my DW took with her to work and the ones the kids have been sneaking off with, they won't last long.

I also bought a machete to speed up the clearing of the backyard. I wish I had gotten it sooner! It's perfect for all the vines that are too small for the chainsaw, but too plentiful for a pair of garden clippers. At this rate I'll have the yard cleared by early next year. I don't know if it was the previous owners or the neighbors, but so far I have uncovered an old tire and a metal trash can dumped back there.

Today was the first day of CNA class. Surprisingly, I'm not the oldest, but I was the only guy in the class of 15. As I expected, it was pretty simple, just learning the right techniques for doing certain tasks. What I'm not happy about is the way the class is taught. There are a couple of anatomically correct mannequins for learning certain uncomfortable tasks, but every thing else, including oral care, is taught by practicing on your classmates. I'm hoping the class doesn't get as awkward as I think it might.

One other bit of news- I got a response from my application to a company that makes science fiction collectibles. The position is "model builder", so I think I might have the skills they're looking for. The models they make are primarily space ships from the Star Trek and Firefly series and movies. Several of their models cost close to $10,000. The movie version Enterprise is fully lit, with the conference room behind the bridge and open shuttle bay fully detailed and lighted. Anyone who likes that genre can see their product lines here:

http://www.qmxonline.com/

I haven't gotten a call for an interview yet, it doesn't pay as much as I would like, and they're almost an hour away, but it's worth looking into. The only thing I'm lacking is an example of my work I can take to a job interview. My kids have destroyed the few model kits I still had when they were born, and even if I could afford to buy a kit, I wouldn't have the time to build it in a way that would demonstrate my skills. I hope photos and a few sub-assemblies of the Tudor house will suffice.

Ah, yes, practicing on one another! Our first RN class practical was learning injection technique with a pile of syringes and bottles of sterile normal saline and one another! The easiest and least painful injection site, BTW, was the gluteus medius.

We took a couple of days for a whirlwind work session at our old house, after some of the feedback we were getting from our realtor. One of our friends showed up to help and we spent half the day Sunday loading up the back of our F250 Super Duty p/u truck with "trash" for the landfill (including a huge old upholstered chair that, when it worked, swiveled as well as rocked and must have weighed over 100 pounds!). There was an enormous pile of "stuff" in the front yard the former tenant referred to as a "burn pile" that we had to go through to remove all the plastic and other potentially toxic items that should never, ever be burned. Going through the house I found quite a few things that could be recycled.

After we checked into the motel and got cleaned up we met our friends for dinner and treated them for his help, and had a terrific visit.

First thing Monday after breakfast and checking out we hit the landfill and dumped about 500 pounds of "stuff"! and then headed back to the house to load up the recyclables and bag up any remaining trash, and also let me take some cuttings to try to root. The man who cut the yard wiped out all of my hydrangeas, and the azaleas next to the house were history, but all the really gorgeous colors were along the driveway anyway, so I grabbed a good cutting from each of four different bushes and wrapped the cut ends in wet paper towels and wrapped them in empty bread bags with twisty-ties, and in the AM I shall take my bag of potting soil out and poke holes in it and strip the lower ends of the canes and pop them into the holes, fill the bag with water and see if they'll root.

a clinic is very different than a primary care doctor....I am finding this out...I have only had a Dr in his own office...small town perks I guess

I went in wanting some kind of Physical for a starting point of my list of issues...what I got is.....what is bothering you this minute??

so I said my nerves and my knee....he asked me to evaluate myself....the depression checklist....moderate to sever...big surprise....he asked if the lithium did help me I told him it was the only thing ever had...got that script....the knee is a double issue....I have constant pain....it is always around a 3-5 resting....standing and walking to much can make it an 8 easy...and than my siatic nerve starts from the knee down....than from the knee up...but the siatic pain is on the opposite side of the knee as my pain...so I am having x-rays on my knee and by lower back....SIGH....Ive already done the whole ruptured disc thing with permanent nerve damage already...he said I am probably over compensating for the knee when walking and standing irritating the back or maybe old arthur is making a home back there...

Dean got his truck on Friday and Catriona was here all day with the baby so I had to wait till today... :badmood:

Im gonna go with this clinic thing for now...see where it goes and as long as things are getting addressed Ill be happy...I did say something about the vertigo and he joked my ears tryin to tell you something..haha...but he didnt look at them....overall I was dissatisfied with it....but let me get these meds started so I can assert myself on the phone and find a Dr...who will be about my total care...not what is wrong with you today...I go back in 2 weeks to talk about the xray results....

is it some weird symptom that the bottoms of my feet are super sensitive and my heels hurt when I walk??

I think my body hates me...I tell you I was a healthier fat person than I am now....SIGH!!!

I wouldnt change a thing about having my wls but I will be so happy to be able to hula hoop again and ride my bike and loose these 20lbs Ive gained over the last yr sittin on my tushie!!....

Better days be commin!! :bear::banana::bear:

Good luck, Nutti! I hope things turn out well in the end.

Yesterday I managed to slam my finger in the front door. Ouch. I doubt it's broken or anything, but it sure does hurt! It swelled up pretty bad and is now crooked like a lightning bolt! :p

One other bit of news- I got a response from my application to a company that makes science fiction collectibles. The position is "model builder", so I think I might have the skills they're looking for. The models they make are primarily space ships from the Star Trek and Firefly series and movies.

Oh my GOSH, this is SO COOL!! I LOVED the Firefly show, and totally wish they'd bring it back. But how fun would it be to say I "know" someone that does that kind of work?! I know the drive would be a drag, but here's hoping they'll be all "wow, that Tudor house is amazing, you're hired, and here's a huge raise and a company car".

Heidi, I love your tattoo, and the meaning behind it. It's healed very nicely in a short amount of time.

Nutti, I hope you get some good news when you go back for the x-rays, and that you feel better soon. Hazel, you may want to get that finger checked out! It very well could be broken.

My daughter should be done with her last summer course today and will be home either tonight or tomorrow. It'll be nice having her home for a couple of weeks before school starts again--just long enough that we don't want to kill each other yet. :D

I agree with Kathie! Maybe you should get a finger xray. Finger bones are so small.

Lynette, I hope you get what you need from the clinic until you can find a better doctor. It sounds like what clinics here do also - the what is wrong with you today thing. They don't care about long term.

• Like 2

I figured if it was broken it would be bruised and hard to move..? I can move it just fine and there's not much bruising. I guess it's better safe than sorry though. I'll get it looked at! Thanks guys :)

Not necessarily; I had an emergency where I had to deal with our old RV's awning in a windstorm and it broke the tip of my right ring finger just at the joint; no bruising, but it flopped back & forth in a most unnatural and somewhat sickening way, so DH hauled me to a local drugstore where I invested in a couple of padded finger splints and some adhesive tape. I do have a very slightly noticeable lateral cant to the end of that finger, but otherwise it healed up just fine; I wore the splint for two months to be on the safe side.

We have a new car :D Got the one that was £1500 cheaper. The other one was fancier and more fun to drive, but not worth the extra money sadly. The body is a few cm wider on the outside, but the inside seems much bigger. There is a lot of space between the steering wheel and the front windscreen, which emphasises the bigness. Boot/trunk is bigger too, fit the buggy, plus a baby car seat, plus a magi mix and all its attachments in there, and still had the parcel shelf down! Mirrors are huge and so have to keep an eye on them when I'm squeezing into tight spaces. And Holly, having said that petrol is usually 3-4% cheaper, the last 2-3 days I've seen diesel the same price as petrol at one place, and only 1p or 2p more at all the other places!

We paid the deposit on the car after the test drive and I drove our old car over in the later afternoon to exchange. Of course tried to drive off from home and the battery was dead. Thankfully Mummy was just back from her holiday and could come and give me a jump start... then the check engine light and beep beeped the whole 30 minute drive there with reduced acceleration. So happy to be driving a car that doesn't have funny noises and where we aren't expecting something to go wrong any minute :) :wub:

Had a lovely BBQ last weekend here with friends and family. Rained some of the day, but stopped for the cooking and eating bit. Was nice to catch up with some we hadn't seen in a while. Weather has stayed less nice, and the rest of the week looks like it'll be rather grey and wet too. Well we've had a good stint of sunshine, so will try not to complain too much ;)

• Like 3

Lynette,

You are over compensating cause of your knee. You may have given that heel/foot Plantar Fascitis. You can buy Dr Scholl`s inserts for your shoes. I would still get it looked at but if it hurts when you first wake up but gets better as the day goes..but then hurts later in the day, that is probably it. It takes awhile to heal. Stretches help as well as Advil.
Hugs to you!

It is humid! I am trying to ignore while I wash bed linens today. I have some idea what is for dinner. Maybe spaghetti and meatballs. Doesnt require the oven.

Hazel, I hope your finger isn't seriously damaged. That had to have hurt!

Lynette, the clinic is a starting point and you have to start somewhere. I've learned that finding good medical care is a journey so keep your spirits up and keep going. If the clinic dr can start you on meds to give you more strength and feel better, then that's your jumping off point. From there you can continue forward one step at a time. Remember that you didn't get sick and in pain overnight and healing isn't going to happen overnight either. Be patient and take those baby steps toward your goals. If you can't find anyone to help you with your hip/knee, let me know and I'll give you the name of my new osteopath in Casa Grande who is probably the best I've talked to about pain management. He works with the total body, not just the part that hurts and if he does have to do injections, he doesn't use steroids. I start my first round of facet and trigger point injections with him on Monday and if that goes well then I'll feel comfortable in recommending him to you. He's just the nicest man too and that's something rare in doctors these days. Anyway, it's great to hear that Dean has his truck back. I've been singing choruses of "On The Road Again" ever since I read the good news.

Heidi, my mother dropped the bombshell on my brother after my dad died which makes me even more furious with her. My father kept his secret for 52 years and I'm sure he had good reasons for not telling Dave. In fact, I suspect that my mother may have been directly involved since they'd been trying to adopt for 9 years but kept getting turned down. My mother is fanatically obsessed with the story of Abraham, Sarah and Isaac (that was my first bedtime story and she used to call me her Little Isaac. Even a toddler knows to be nervous when mommy spins that one as a DIY story and you're the designated sacrifice to prove her faith) and my dad would have done anything to make her happy so it's not a stretch to think that she organized a "surrogate" mother in the Biblical fashion, especially since the adoption was arranged by the family doctor with no other agencies involved. Dave has always been the spitting image of Dad and all his life we've heard everyone say how amazing it is for an adopted child to look so much like Dad. My mother told me that there were rumors but none of them were true. <shrug> The reasons don't matter much now but what does is how much that crazy old bat screwed up Dave by telling him or the impact that it has on me as well and how horribly disrespectful it was to my Dad that she couldn't wait to break his confidence and tell. It doesn't seem to matter that she's 90 years old, blind, deaf, and in a wheelchair.........that cutting edge streak of mean is still very much alive and well. Dave left her in a nursing home in Texas and said that her needs are provided for but he doesn't want to see her again either. He's seeing a shrink now and on meds to help him but it's going to be a long road to any form of mental health. I got away in time to save most of my sanity but Dave wasn't so lucky. My mother is a special brand of crazy that's mostly a streak of cruelty a mile wide and she has a lot to answer for. I still haven't talked to my brother and am not sure that I will, at least for a very long time, but he's talking to my SIL and despite everything, I still grieve for what he's been through.

Bruce got to work yesterday and discovered that he has to fly to Denver next week for a two day seminar. Talk about bad timing! He has to leave on Monday afternoon and I'm having the first round of spine injections Monday morning. I've had facet injections before but always under general anesthesia so this is the first time I'll be awake for it and it's a medication I've never had before so I'm not happy that he'll only have time to slow down the car long enough to let me out and then blaze off to the airport and be gone for three days. We don't know a soul here and the closest emergency room is 30 miles so I'll be on my own and normally I'd be thrilled but I'm a little nervous about not having Bruce around if I have an adverse reaction. I'll be off my blood thinners for five days before the procedure so bleeding shouldn't be a problem and that's a relief. I'm sure everything will be okay and I'm just nervous in general but I'd be a lot happier if he didn't have to go. He asked his boss if there was any other way or time for doing this seminar and was told that not going for any reason would be a career limiting move. I'm sure that everything will go well and that I'll be up dancing the next morning but I'm used to having Bruce around after something like this so it just makes me nervous when he's not here.

Ever just get super tired of feeling like your life is a bad soap opera? LOL! This too shall pass.

• Like 2

This thread is just becoming too emotional for me. Yet, like a soap opera, I keep getting sucked in. Just seems to be too much personal info and medical stuff for a "What are you up to?" thread. There should be a warning before you go on this thread, "Warning-May Make The Rest of Your Day Sad and Depressed". Maybe two new threads could be started--1)Medical Concerns, 2)Depressing Family Issues. Sorry if I offended everyone, I thought we were about miniatures and dollhouses.

Sorry you feel that way, Sable! My interpretation is that this thread is what's going on in our current, real-life lives (and also where we can give each other support), and the thread below is what's going on in the world of our miniatures. Maybe this other one is the thread you mean to read?

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28628&page=227

• Like 7

The sicker you get, the less friends you have. Happens every time.
You are right Cheverly. This was started so we could talk about anything that has been going on today or this week or immediate future. I started it and It has been on here for quite a few years. We talk about baking cookies, new babies, vacations, and sad stuff too. Life stuff. If this thread gets closed, I will be angry.

• Like 2

each person post I read in this thread always gets a little boost of positive energy sent their way by me when reading of illness or good stuff

it has been full of illness and sadness lately....but I believe life is full of it and sharing with our friends can help....

on that note...meds have been received and started so I look forward to some better days...meds dont take the stress away but for this gal...the obstacles become more manageable if my mind doesnt keep throwing end of times at me....

Deb{{{{HUGZZ}}}}

lemme tell you the story of my half sister who grew up to marry my brother....yup true story....

maybe I tell too much but In my life TOOOO many things have been shrouded in secrets and mystery

so Im more of a What you see IS what you get!! I have no secrets....

• Like 3

This thread is just becoming too emotional for me. Yet, like a soap opera, I keep getting sucked in. Just seems to be too much personal info and medical stuff for a "What are you up to?" thread. There should be a warning before you go on this thread, "Warning-May Make The Rest of Your Day Sad and Depressed". Maybe two new threads could be started--1)Medical Concerns, 2)Depressing Family Issues. Sorry if I offended everyone, I thought we were about miniatures and dollhouses.

I'm sorry that you feel that way Sable. This section of the forum has always been about sharing both the ups and downs between friends. Sometimes there are more ups than downs and sometimes it's the other way around but that's life and friends talk about their lives without judgement from their other friends. I would strongly suggest that if you don't enjoy reading this part of the forum that you focus your attention on other sections about dollhouses. I would also point out that there are "ignore" options if you feel you don't want to read posts from specific members and you're more than welcome to use that feature too. I'm not saying this just because I'm one of the people who talk about my life and I get the feeling that most of your comments were directed toward me........but I would say the same thing no matter who it is. We are friends here. No one is saying anything offensive, profane, or breaking any rules. This seems to be a matter of your personal preference and that's why my only action is going to be that you take one of my suggestions to either use the ignore button or avoid this thread. 'Nuff said.

• Like 4

is it some weird symptom that the bottoms of my feet are super sensitive and my heels hurt when I walk??

Last year I had that on one one foot and after it felt better and I started walking around I developed horrendous pain in my achilles tendon. While searching online for the best home treatment for the pain, I kept finding people who suggested it could be plantar fasciitis, but it didn't seem right to me. Anyway, turned out I had pinched a nerve in my hip which caused the problem.

This thread has been making me feel very badly for some of you, but on the other hand, I have to admit, my health problems now don't seem even half bad.

• Like 1