What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Gail, we have both done a lie-down test of the mattresses and they're acceptable! (surprise, surprise!). There's no oven in this unit (I hardly ever used the ones we had before, since I can do a lot of baking in my electric skillet) and the stove only has two burners (I can't recall the last time I used all three burners on the others), so there are quite a few things that are waiting in boxes to go to the thrift stores. When I unload the microwave cart I will be finished (DH gets the job of unloading the media goodies and his tools)! and I will have a microwave cart to use in the workshop...

Microwave carts are great for crafts! You can put a house on top and it's a great working height and the cabinets holds lots of stuff!

We went to a bigger motorhome, but I have boxes of stuff that I refused to put in the new one. It's more of a mobile mens clubhouse and the guys had all 'contributed' odds and ends - they don't need 20 pots and pans and 4 bbqs....

I had planned on playing outside today, but it's 100% humidity and I can't breathe out there. Indoor sports today.

We knew we would lose several features by downsizing, and as we are finding them we are discovering, as I mentioned, that we didn't really use them before (exceot because they were there). This has a lot more room than the MPG we had looked at; that one was like a teardrop with the kitchen inside and the bathroom was a cup-sized sink with a commode stool and a handheld shower at the "sink" and a drain in the middle of the floor; I'm not kidding! This one's bathroom is as big as the one we traded in! with more usable storage, if you can believe it.

Holly, that miniscule bathroom sounds like the one my parents had when their camper sat on the back of the truck. I can't repeat what Dad said could be accomplished all at one time while in there. :D

The stove top and oven in our camper are pristine and never been used. I cook breakfast in an electric fry pan and DH takes care of the evening meal since he loves to grill everything. He replaced all the lower cabinet shelves with drawers, that way I don't have to get on my hands and knees to find a pot. The doors are still in place but the pull out shelves are wonderful.

• Like 1

The kitchen drawers in ours are pull-out plastic bins that hold as much as the drawers in the old camper, only there are mosre of them.

After we finished playing in the new camper we went to the RV store in Pensacola to buy a replacement knife-holder and vent cover to replace what we left in the old unit, and a second shelf guard. Then we hit Wally world to get some more under-bed plastic boxes. That storage space is also accessible from the outside hatches, so we'll use the space under one bed for clothes and shoes and the other one for tools, fishing gear, etc.

I went to Santa Fe on our usual grab and run shopping trip. I got about 15 minutes in Michaels and Hobby Lobby to run wild and grab what I wanted....I managed to forget to look for the dollar hutches in Michaels. :( Then I got another 20 minutes to shop clothes in Kohls........sheesh! We did spend 2 hours in Best Buy however .....yeah like that was fun.....not! :p I managed to grab some cute Christmas minis for my Christmas house and a new pair of jeans so I guess I shouldn't complain! That's about it!

• Like 2

As he was rolling over to go back to sleep this AM DH informed me we're leaving in the AM for a four day camping trip to Ft Pickins. What with the fort, the beach and the hiking trails, and the restaurants in Pensacola Beach I think we'll find plenty to do!

We finished painting the family room yesterday. All that's left is to put the pictures back on the walls. I'm still not used to the color change. It's a pretty color, but that room has been a deep red shade for the past 16 years, it's just so different. The first time I painted the room 16 years ago it wasn't quite the right shade of deep red. I wanted something more russet red, so when I repainted about 8 years ago, I found the right russet red color. Now the room is blue. I'll take a picture when everything is back in place.

In the afternoon DS and I went for our usual Saturday hike. We drove up to Freeport, Maine, through the crowded shopping area, and wound up on a quiet country road that led us to Wolfe's Neck Woods state park. It sits on a spit of land bordered by the Casco bay on one side and the Harraseeket river on the other. There were great views on the bay side. This is a path that leads to the rocky bay shore.

IMG_1438-smaller_zpse5004ead.jpg

We stopped at a frozen custard stand on the way. When I found out there was frozen custard I had to stop for some.
  • Like 4

Oh, that's just gorgeous! I can almost hear the birds singing. What a great way to start the morning!

I found one more string of lights to put up in the dollhouse loft so that's my plan for this morning. I'd like to finish putting grass on all the display tables if I can. I'm reminding myself not to overdo it today coz I'll have stiff muscles tomorrow and since I'm having the last round of injections in the morning that would be a bad thing. But that probably won't stop me from cleaning off the table in the studio so I can work on the graveyard later on this week.

<chuckling> I was out watering earlier this morning and had stopped by my little mesquite tree to see how it's doing. As I stood there peering at the bark and turning my head this way and that, I suddenly noticed that the tree had little eyes and a tiny head that was looking back at me and also turning this way and that. LOL!! It was one of the baby tree lizards and after I thanked him kindly for hanging out in the tree and eating the bugs, I backed away slowly and left him to his breakfast.

• Like 4

Was mowing the grass yesterday and saw one of the little blue tailed skinks--stopped the mower and said hello. Deb just by your description of what you do each day sounds like you are gradually doing better. i am so glad for you..... :D

• Like 1

I went outside this morning to remove the burned out headlight bulb on my motorcycle. A few days ago, I noticed that the high beam indicator wasn't turning off when it was supposed to (an indication that the high-beam is burned out). When I got home, I discovered that neither the high or low beam were working. The plan was to take the burned out bulb to the auto parts store and get the new one this morning, but when I opened the headlight module, I found that the connecting harness for the bulb was partially melted and the positive connection had completely burned apart. I tried to solder the two ends together for about 30 minutes, but it isn't happening. Just like when I was trying to solder the wire baluster inserts- solder would only bind to one side at a time, but never both. I have no idea what it's going to cost to replace that, but if it's anything like the broken turn signal switch I fixed a few months ago, I'm looking at $100 or more for one little part, plus the bulb.

It's disgusting how the little things on a vehicle can turn into such a big job, and a big expense to fix. And they look so easy at the beginning!

Well, I have a HAPPY DANCE moment to report :banana: I was at my booth in the local County Fair a couple days ago, with people coming and going, and some stopping to see the product and ask questions. Three people stepped up to the table, and one looked at me and said, "Are you CheckMouse?"

I do believe that is the FIRST time I've ever been asked that question - definitely the first time in person! After a stunned moment I answered, "Yes! And you MUST be from Greenleaf!"

What fun! It was no other than our own Thriftymini / Christine! So nice to have someone step off the forum page and say hello! :)

• Like 9

I am glad I got up the nerve to stop by and meet CJ (CheckMouse). My husband was concerned I would come across as an online stalker.

CJ: My husband asked me lots of questions about your micro mini bed. I was glad to later find the picture and how-to description. Thanks for sharing. I think my husband now is thinking the smaller the scale, the less raw material needed = less expense. But we both know it takes more than raw material to make a great mini :bigwink:.

• Like 3

This morning it was only in the mid-80's after an early shower. I took advantage of the unusually pleasant weather and mowed about half of the yard. It took about 90 minutes and warmed up significantly, so now I'm trying to cool off.

Yesterday, we had another brief PM thunderstorm, so I lit up the grill again. Yesterday's dinner was beacon cheddar cheeseburgers for the kids and shrimp kabobs with smoked salmon steaks for the parents.

This morning my DW attended her first class at the CC here. The class is Art Fundamentals. She probably thought it would be a textbook sort of art class, like art history, but she came home from the book store with an art kit. She is not happy. I wouldn't be either. I had so many lousy art teachers in grade school. I flunked art in 8th grade- one week after winning 3rd prize at the Winterpark Sidewalk Art Festival- one of the biggest art shows in the Orlando area. I realized then that art classes are often taught by people who might be artists themselves (most of my teachers weren't), but couldn't teach a fish how to swim. The other problem is your grades are subjective, based on the instructor's personal preferences, not technique or the quality of the piece. I hope she passes. She needs the credits for her health admin degree.

I am glad I got up the nerve to stop by and meet CJ (CheckMouse). My husband was concerned I would come across as an online stalker.

CJ: My husband asked me lots of questions about your micro mini bed. I was glad to later find the picture and how-to description. Thanks for sharing. I think my husband now is thinking the smaller the scale, the less raw material needed = less expense. But we both know it takes more than raw material to make a great mini :bigwink:.

Christine - tell your husband not to worry - you're an online sister, not an online stalker :)

I have become intoxicated with the micro scale! And there are several advantages - the biggest of which is the space they (don't) take up when finished. I have two large dollhouses, as yet unfinished, and one of them will become the house of a miniaturist - with lots of room for all her finished and unfinished houses, and her supply cupboards. I think she should be a widow, with grandchildren who visit once in awhile, but she lives alone in the house. That way the extra bedrooms can be for her miniatures.

Oh, dear! I think I've just inspired myself to hurry up and finish that house!!

• Like 1

I have two large dollhouses, as yet unfinished, and one of them will become the house of a miniaturist - with lots of room for all her finished and unfinished houses, and her supply cupboards. I think she should be a widow, with grandchildren who visit once in awhile, but she lives alone in the house. That way the extra bedrooms can be for her miniatures.

CJ, you're a genius! :thumb:

• Like 1

It has been a most enjoyable week. DH got back from Thunder Bay - where a work project took a week longer than anticipated. Sometimes I wonder if he's ever going to retire!! Anyways, as soon as he got back, we hooked up our trailer and spent five glorious days camping with family. Good food, good company and good weather! Celebrated my youngest daughter's 24th birthday yesterday. Where has the time gone? Have been playing (or trying to play) Super Nintendo with my four year old grandson :D I don't know what's more fun - playing these silly old games again or seeing how excited he gets every time he gets through a new level! The weather is simply gorgeous right now so I think I'll get out and go for a walk! Hope you are all enjoying your summer too!