What are you up to today? This week?

My heart bleeds for all of you, I just can't get sucked into the sadness anymore. It's just too much for me to handle. Ok enough said, I'll just avoid this thread in the future and stick with the more uplifting mini discussions, positive thoughts and experiences.

• Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• havanaholly

• KathieB

• heidiiiii

• Anna

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started laying pavers in our front yard yesterday. My DW doesn't like walking in the grass from the car to the front steps, so we're getting about a dozen pavers that look like cobblestone, each pa

Today I am celebrating a bit as I have been offered a new job (still principal but in a different town/municipality) which I have accepted. Same driving distance just the opposite direction, a few per

Today's interview went well despite several more interruptions. For the 2nd time in two months, the gas cap on my bike wouldn't unlock. I was already low on gas, so I rode home, poured a few drops o

Posted Images

Lynette, the clinic is a starting point and you have to start somewhere. I've learned that finding good medical care is a journey so keep your spirits up and keep going. If the clinic dr can start you on meds to give you more strength and feel better, then that's your jumping off point. From there you can continue forward one step at a time. Remember that you didn't get sick and in pain overnight and healing isn't going to happen overnight either. Be patient and take those baby steps toward your goals. If you can't find anyone to help you with your hip/knee, let me know and I'll give you the name of my new osteopath

my thoughts exactly....this is not Missouri and I have to start with the first step and getting the ability to not freak out when explaing things and HEAR the things I am being told...have a notebook and folder ready for next visit! I will be proactive as allowed by the other me.... :crazyeyes:

Anyway, turned out I had pinched a nerve in my hip which caused the problem

OH really!?! I am having back x-rays done as well because of the nerve issues I am having along with the knee.....and now that you say this I realize that it is the right foot that bothers me the most! tyty I will add this to talk to Dr about in 2 weeks!!

and this is how the "What are you up to today" turns....lol :clap:

• Like 1

and this is how the "What are you up to today" turns....lol :clap:

hehehehehehehehehehe Oh Nutti, I love you so much. That was exactly the laugh we all needed. It's all okay sweetie. Nothing will ever change the love and support of our forum family because after all, we're all family by choice and thru the love we share for one another. That's the way it's been from day one and that's the way it will always be.

• Like 2

I made tuna macaroni salad. The End

Not the end! I want the recipe! I'm being guided into a higher protein diet and need suggestions, especially to make gluten free pasta taste like the real deal. Gluten free is hard to do! I did find some Special K popcorn chips that make a great replacement for the salty snacks I tend to crave. They're gluten free so my dr will approve and they're especially good with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese. Lunch today was a slice of cheddar cheese, some smoked turkey, and a little bowl of cherub tomatoes with a dash of fat free italian dressing on them. I took it out to the patio just to make it feel special and really did enjoy it. I think once I make the transition I'll probably enjoy eating healthier foods. I'm already a regular rabbit when it comes to salads.

• Like 1

This entire subforum is off-topic precisely so that those who want to can discuss topics other than/ in addition to miniatures. Goodness knows there are legions of people who don't want to know about the rough spots in our lives and the issues we face for which dollhouses and miniatures are our therapy, but it is part of our lives and it is part of who most of us miniaturists are that we will support and care for each other and are interested and concerned for one another. And I'm sure there are quite a few of us who want to get away from some of the crap life dishes out from day to day, so as baby sister has mentioned, it's OK to ignore this part, too.

Is this sort of like learning to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em? In that case some of us sometimes do need to walk away, and some need to run (with apologies to Kenny Rogers...)

I love pasta salads! and have made them with turkey pepperoni and with chicken as well as tuna. Isn't there gluten-free pasta out there?

• Like 5

Here you go Deb.

Tuna Mac salad..I didnt add the peas.

I love chopped salads. Steak salad with blue cheese. You can make smoothies with kale and fruits and almond milk. I like cottage cheese with almonds and grapes. I can go on and on.

Holly, there's a whole section of gluten free pasta and breads at the store but I haven't adapted to the taste and sometimes the texture yet. That's why I'm looking for new pasta recipes so I don't notice the difference as much as I would in my old standards. I'm sure that once I get adjusted to it I won't notice as much but during the transition I think I need to find new recipes to try. My new osteo is really taking a proactive approach to my nutrition which has been almost completely ignored by every other doctor and his diet makes sense to me. Okay, so it's not a "diet". It's a new way of looking at food because there's no calorie counting or worrying about fat.......it's mostly about keeping gluten/white starches to a minimum, lowering carbs, and making sure that I combine foods properly like always eating a protein with a carb so it breaks down properly. He also gave me a huge list of supplements to take.......mostly minerals and the hormone-vitamins like Ds and the Bs. I was all happy that my D2 was up from 8 to 44 (gotta love my tan!!!) but he said that's still too low and we're going higher.

Thanks Heidi! I'll give that one a try soon. I have a pasta boat which makes the most perfect pasta in the microwave so pasta salads are something that I can make if I go slow and sit down between steps.

Just for the record - I love this section of the forum.

It is in Chit Chat and is about our ups and downs of life as friends share with friends.

All the other forums ARE dedicated to miniatures.

I'm SO glad to have a place to listen to my friends whether it is good or bad days, share their triumphs, come along side with a hug, shed some tears, say some prayers, share some new ideas (non-mini related), vent about frustration, laugh with abandon and generally do all the things friends do - support and be supported.

Thank you for being my friends.

• Like 9

Deb, I knew there were gluten-free pastas. In addition to the pasta salads you might try lasagna, especially made with fresh spinach and turkey pepperoni (or ground turkey and Italian seasonings), manicotti and mozarella. I also put tuna, chicken, or whatever in my mac & cheese along with English peas. (FYI, for all our non-Southern members, "English peas" are how we in the SE US refer to the petit green peas). Back in the mid=70s I had a friend go on a gluten-free diet (it was a fad "thing" back then) and gave me a bag of gluten-free some kind of mix or other that I tried out and our family agreed it wasn't wonderful to our tastebuds. Don't forget to check out the lovely vegan sources of protein out there.

I'm SO glad to have a place to listen to my friends whether it is good or bad days, share their triumphs, come along side with a hug, shed some tears, say some prayers, share some new ideas (non-mini related), vent about frustration, laugh with abandon and generally do all the things friends do - support and be supported.

Thank you for being my friends.

Well said Selkie. You're one of the people who provide so much inspiration to me because you share yourself and that's a wonderful gift. It's a cold and impersonal world out there so being in the warmth of my chosen family is what keeps me going.

I'm gonna cry and some of y'all probably will too because I'm about to tell you exactly how much love and friendship there is on this forum. After hearing that Bruce has to go out of town on business the day of my facet injections, Nutti and Heidi got to talking and the next thing I knew, Nutti had offered to come stay with me and make sure I'm okay. And yes, my tears are of happiness because friends who will come sit with you when you're sick are a rare breed and I'm more grateful than I can say. Bruce is speechless and so grateful because he was worrying himself sick about leaving me alone after a procedure like that. Now he doesn't have to worry because there will be someone to help me if I need it and he knows that Nutti and I will have a great time so he can focus on business.

If I could turn cartwheels I would. Nutti is coming for a sleep over and we'll get to play minis! I've been saving the staging of the Pierce til we could get together and it's going to be so much fun. But mostly I'm so touched and grateful for the friends I've made here that it makes my heart turn flip flops. This is real family.

• Like 5

Oh my GOSH, this is SO COOL!! I LOVED the Firefly show, and totally wish they'd bring it back. But how fun would it be to say I "know" someone that does that kind of work?! I know the drive would be a drag, but here's hoping they'll be all "wow, that Tudor house is amazing, you're hired, and here's a huge raise and a company car".

When I was building full-size theme park scenery and museum replicas, it was cool, exciting work that utilized my skills, but it sure didn't pay a living wage. I'm in Florida. We don't have the worker protections California or the northern U.S. have. The modeling job will probably be the same- pennies above minimum wage, 39.5 hrs. a week being called "part-time" and any "benefits" will be paid 100% from my own pay. The only reason why I applied for it was because despite the pay range being mediocre, it's better than the service sector jobs here and would be more interesting than "would you like fries with that?" It's probably seasonal too, as I doubt they sell too many of those $6,000 - $10,000 ship models. It's mostly just a job for know until I can get into something that will pay the bills.

Holly, I will never allow a shot in my gluteus anything for any reason. Made that mistake once. I can live with a sore arm. I don't have to sit on my arm and I'm ok with my classmates seeing it. This class is awkward enough. I got a lot of flack today from my classmates while sponge bathing the mannequin, and will probably get even more during the perineal care training tomorrow.

• Like 1

Holly, I will never allow a shot in my gluteus anything for any reason. Made that mistake once. I can live with a sore arm. I don't have to sit on my arm and I'm ok with my classmates seeing it. This class is awkward enough. I got a lot of flack today from my classmates while sponge bathing the mannequin, and will probably get even more during the perineal care training tomorrow.

Everyone is most nervous about the personal care stuff so that's probably why your classmates are acting especially hyper. But here's a tip they might not teach you: when bathing and performing perineal care you have to move folds of skin and/or body parts that can sometimes be more personal than either you or the patient want so use the flat and the back of your hand to move things rather than your fingers. Just hold your hand like you're going to karate chop something and use the flat side down and the back to push and hold back. You'll feel more comfortable that way and so will your patients. The flat of a hand feels much less invasive. I had an old RN teach me that trick (you should always listen to old RNs because they are wise women indeed) and it made those personal moments feel a little less personal and a little more professional. You're braver than I am to offer even an arm to practicing students with needles. Ow!!!!

Holly, thanks for the suggestions. Since we already pared fat from our diet, chicken and turkey are the main meats and fortunately I like them both as well as cheese. And now you've given me a craving for cold macaroni salad made with Miracle Whip, sweet pickle relish, shredded cheddar, a little minced onion, and some english peas. <doing my best Grandpa Jones grin> Yum, yum!

• Like 1

Well, I just got a case of the giggles reading the last two or three pages. The topics are going from - I'm having a hard time - to: try this recipe - to: don't want to hear about your pain - to: I tried that recipe, here's another one - to: finally found a good doctor ...

Sounds like a typical room full of friends discussing this and that :chat: . Maybe I'm just weird, but when I hear of someone's health issues, or other heartaches and burdens, it's an opportunity for prayer. I add them to my prayer list and like to hear of their progress.

I love this thread and am glad we have it. My big news is that DH decided to come home for awhile to help me take care of Mother during my busy work season. Not sure how long he's staying, but at least he can help for awhile. I just finished a huge County Fair - logged 61 work hours, plus 10 hours of commuting, in 5 days. And in spite of being in the same house, I didn't see Mother for four days. That's not being a very good caregiver. :(

I'm leaving town again in two days, this time by myself :clap: and am planning to take my micro house with me. It's almost finished - the landscaping stuff I ordered is here - so I'm going to pack it all up and take it with me. I'll have quiet evenings in the hotel room to work on it. Have to take it to the State Fairgrounds on the 24th, and I've got 3 County Fairs between now and then.

I think I can - I think I can!

Holly - I think you would have enjoyed the model trains displayed at this last Fair - I took a couple videos of it but not sure I can upload it. Too big, I think. But I thought of you as I admired all their handiwork :)

• Like 6

Muriel, congratulations on the new car.

Heidi, some of us simply don't know what to say to someone who is sick. I'm one of them unfortunately. I'll say a pray and shed tears but mostly, I just don't know what else to do. Everyone does a wonderful job here when it comes to supporting fellow members and I do applaud them for it, I just wish I could offer more than an "I'm sorry".

Lynette, I'm envious that you get to spend time with Deb even if it is only for a short time. I suspect that the two of you will have a blast. Just don't scare the cats or lizards.

I love this section of the forum as well. Even though I don't often comment, I read it at least twice a day. You are my extended family and thank you all for letting me have a glimpse into your lives. Good or bad, that's what we have to deal with on a daily basis.

• Like 6

Just my 2 cents worth:

I started a new topic when I found out I have breast cancer,because I thought later on someone going through that specific life threatening illness might be interested in how others dealt with it and learn from all the wonderful advice and support I am now getting from my Greenleaf pals. But I'm still gonna come over here and unload or boost or cheer or cry or laugh or....y'all know what I mean!

We all have our limits and differences,of course,so for instance,if it bothers anyone,I won't be offended if you skip my topic,Bad News Kat,for sure. But missing this one we are in or any of a number of non-mini related ones means you may miss a whole lot of camaraderie,fun,and even some life lessons. I know I have sure experienced all of these!

Now,quit making me hungry! I can't eat anything after midnight tonight! LOL (Oh,having my chemotherapy port implanted tomorrow!)

Edited by kat57
  • Like 2

Now you've done it Holly!lol I don't care for Indian food at all,but I read what you said to my son and he went right to a map to find The Yak! I won't be in any shape to eat out after this surgery,but I guess I'll have to eat there some time later,to make my chauffeur/son happy!LOL I don't suppose they have anything besides Indian cuisine?

• Like 1

Just don't scare the cats or lizards.

<hiding the water pistols behind my back and fluttering my eyelashes innocently> Why Gayle, whatever do you mean??? We'd never do anything like give the baby lizards a shower. We don't have enough teeny little towels to go around!

CJ and Gayle and everyone else who offers silent prayers, those are every bit as much appreciated and needed as making a post and I'm sure that those in need feel that support even if it's unspoken. CJ, your description of a room full of chattering family and friends is spot on! This thread reminds me of the family reunions I got to attend where my Dad's three brothers and six sisters would gather with spouses and children and it never failed that the kitchen, dining room, and back porch were filled with chattering aunts and cousins talking about joys and sorrows and pains and triumphs..........no matter what it was, if it was important to one family member, it was something almost everyone else wanted to know. I could never get enough of that feeling of belonging until I landed here almost ten years ago. This is my farm kitchen, my back porch, my big family get together with laughter and tears and silliness and all the other things life brings. Real life isn't a show on tv; it's right here with the every day events of the people you love.

Indian food. Hmm. Not an option here in my small town but there is a pretty good chinese place that delivers. But what I'm really craving is a delicious chicken salad that I had at our favorite little diner in Casa Grande last week. It was simple..........diced chicken breast, dried cranberries, walnuts, chopped celery and a poppy seed dressing. That was heaven on a plate and especially good for a hot summer day.

• Like 2

Now that salad sounds divine,Deb!! Man,oh man,I need to get off here,take my shower and get to bed. My glass of cranberry-grape juice is just not cutting the cravings tonight!lol

The Yak is Nepalese, so the cuisine is more Himalayan than Indian; not so spicy and VERY tasty!

Somehow that sounds like it should be set to music - maybe a catchy tune for a commercial!

OK, so maybe I'm tired. :bangin:

• Like 3

Somehow that sounds like it should be set to music - maybe a catchy tune for a commercial!

OK, so maybe I'm tired. :bangin:

<rolling around and laughing hard enough to fall off the bed> <reaching for the laptop from the floor> hehehehehehehe <gasp, snerkle> hehehehehehehe Now you've gone and done it CJ. I can totally hear that as jingle or maybe even a rap song and it's stuck in my head now. I'd give it a 95 Mr. Clark. It's got a great beat and you can dance to it.

• Like 1