What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Eastern European? Sounds YUM! Whenever you two decide to come check out our "new" digs we shall have to take you to our favorite Jordanian restaurant for dinner.

You'll have to send me the address for that Jordanian restaurant. I don't know if we'll have time/budget to stop for meals on the way to Houston next month, but if we do, that would be a nice change from the usual burgers, tacos or chicken we usually get on the road.

The kids are excited about school and meeting their new teachers. I remember when I was their age, I liked going to school too.

Jeremy, if you click on the hyperlink you will see that we have three in Pensacola; one is on 9th avenue just south of Airport, one is downtown, a block east of Palafox, and our very favorite is on New Warrington Rd/ Navy Blvd, just north of the front gate of NAS Pensacola.

Eastern European? Sounds YUM! Whenever you two decide to come check out our "new" digs we shall have to take you to our favorite Jordanian restaurant for dinner.

Belorussian baker and Ukrainian chef in the kitchen ... wonderful borscht, home made fresh cilantro & lime salad dressing (like a pesto -- I bought a home canned bottle to bring home), salmon, shashlik (shishkabob), fried catfish, and amazing desserts: home made vanilla ice cream, raspberry pie and mango/blueberry pie, plus a nice, local red wine. We're planning to go back soon for the Sunday brunch.

The Jordanian restaurant sounds good, Holly.

Well, the reunion was OK. I just realized I aged my DH and myself by 5 years; it was only the 25th year reunion. Some people I remembered from the last one, the food was decent and the weather was just right for me, but probably not anyone else. It was about 58 degrees. Everyone was saying it was too bad it was so cold! Guess I'm just stuck in the wrong geographical location :lol: I have lived on Long Island for my whole life; I don't swim and hate the beach. The heat and sun are not my friends thanks to MS and super fair skin. I also prefer quiet so large crowds of people make me uneasy. It would have probably been a much more enjoyable time if the music hadn't been obnoxiously loud. I could not be inside the building for more than 5 minutes without pain, then after the sun went down they made it louder! Fortunately, I keep earplugs in the car so I had DH get me some :)

Today, I have to finish the errands that got interrupted yesterday. I was in our local mall shopping and ran into a friend and her mom so we decided to have lunch together. It was a much nicer interruption than the kind I usually get so I am not complaining at all!

• Like 1

Cool weather prevails for us here in CT the past couple days. I am taking advantage of it. I am going to start some Fall cleaning in the yard and figure out what to do with the bok choy Chelsea brought home from the Farm co-op. Ideas are welcome.

I had a major heart to heart talk with my endo/GP on Thursday. He told me that my fatty liver is actually n.a.s.h. I always thought I had the less scary variety but I am okay. He said that most people do not know they have it. There is a small subset that the fatty liver will turn into cirrhosis if they do not change. I have pain and inflammation. I will just ASSUME I am in the subset for my own good.

This is good news. This is the push that I had to have. One year ago I embarked on total food transformation. Completely healthy, teetering on vegetarian with small aspects of vegan (vegan dairy). I lasted 3 months and then it was the kid`s birthday in October and Halloween a couple days later. I fell face first off the wagon. I did lose 30lbs and have not gained them back. I make better choices in food but not what I should.

The Dr told me three things..1. no booze. 2. no OTC pain relief and 3. LOSE WEIGHT!!! Losing weight can help reverse the fatty liver. I will have less insulin to use which is a major culprit in storing extras in your liver.

I started yesterday. Same as before..Low Fat. Low carb (no *whites* plenty of fruits, veg, grains), no beef. Lean pork, chicken and fish. Lots of salads. Beans, nuts and seeds. There is lots more food to it. I have to elminate two aspects of my eating. Foods that raise my blood sugar and foods that inflame my liver.

This is day two. I am okay this morning. I am usually really cranky before dinner. I went to bed with headache so I know I have to eat more today. I will track my calories. I shoot for between 1200-1400 cal a day. I have to slowly introduce exercise/walking. I am dealing with plantar fascititis in my right heel. It is better but It is a long wait to heal.
So that is what is going on here. When October hits...I have to be really strong!

• Like 2

.... figure out what to do with the bok choy Chelsea brought home from the Farm co-op. Ideas are welcome.

I like to use it raw as I would any cabbage style product. Slice or shred thinly, light dressing of balsamic vinegar and a dash of sugar, spices to taste and whatever veggies or fresh herbs you like. You can make a heavier creamy style dressing too but that's not my favorite.

You can also slice or shred and do a quick stir fry with whatever other veggies you like: carrots, onions, ginger, garlic, herbs, spices, etc.

You can also make a cheese sauce and bake it as a casserole.

Sorry I don't have real recipes cuz I mostly cook out of what my frig, cupboard and head have in them.

• Like 1

Yes, I will need the kick in the pants from time to time till I get used to it. Selkie, I never thought to eat it raw. I will do that tonight as my salad. Maybe add a sliced ginger gold apple with it. Mmm.

Bok choy can be overcooked Like cauliflower and brussels sprouts and other members of the cabbage family). I love the stuff stir-fried.

We started out to the barber shop this AM, forgetting it was Saturday until we got there. We'll try again Monday after lunch. Meanwhile we did shop two of our favorite thrift stores and hit the new Wally World grocery store that opened this month.

I bought an ice cream maker. We love ice cream and I am trying to eat healthier, so homemade is always better. No preservatives and I can control the fat content. I am going to need more counter space with all the new appliances (I make my own bread too).

I also finally got around to buying the fake grass for the miniature village. It's better looking than my real grass!! I was going to lay it out today, but opted for a nap instead. :bear:

Hi everyone! I am still here! The last 4 weeks have been pure craziness at work, beginning of the school year, but it is finally getting calmer. I might get caught up with my important projects this week, which would be awesome.

I have been reading every single post here still, and even though I haven't responded, I've thought and prayed for all who need it, and here's hugs for everyone, since we all need hugs.

My husband finally got the 244-day position he was wanting, so he works 5 days a week now instead of 4. And gets paid. :) Yay! They also finally announced our new structure, and put names with the responsibilities. Brian will be a project person, instead of out in schools, which is really cool. He also will be housed in the main office with me.

After we had a few people quit, and a couple new positions opened since we got a new school this year, we had 5 positions to fill. To do that quickly, they decided to use a staffing agency instead of hiring them outright. Yikes. We'll have to see how this goes. These are certified experienced techs, so should be okay. Hopefully they wont turn-over too often.

Lawson's "summer job" is still going, going on 3rd extra week now. Techs still keep asking for his help, so they keep letting him come. So that's good. He has decided to wait until winter to start school, so he needs to do something. When he stops working, he'll probably be able to go on mission trips with his WAVE team (sign language ministry) folks.

Today I went shopping. Mostly for the new grandbaby. We still have a month until we find out what it is, so that makes clothes shopping a little harder. I have been trying to find some gowns, those are my favorite, but am having a hard time. Guess those will be ordered. So I've been buying diapers, wipes, lotions, etc. My favorite find today though was some socks that look like Converse. So stinking cute! I have 6 pair of converse in different colors, so this was a must. I'll buy pink or blue later as well.

I wish I had progress updates on the downstairs renovation, but I'm afraid its the same as before. :( Not sure if I mentioned it, but one spot was still leaking at the foundation, even after being fixed and fixed again. They came back again last week, so now we're just waiting for more rain to test it again.

Brennen has started school, and poor guy has his plate full. All honors and AP classes. We didn't expect and sign off on that, but he doesn't want to give anything up, so he's been making it through. I think he'll be fine, although he won't have very much free time.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend!

• Like 1

I wish I had progress updates on the downstairs renovation, but I'm afraid its the same as before. :( Not sure if I mentioned it, but one spot was still leaking at the foundation, even after being fixed and fixed again. They came back again last week, so now we're just waiting for more rain to test it again.

Glad to hear that your work schedules are finally settling down and your kids are doing well. You certainly have a busy family and lots of work to do.

As to your house issues - I know whereof you speak.

I'm STILL waiting for the contractor and have been thinking very bad thoughts about the situation.

I can only imagine what you have been thinking with this all STILL leaking. It seems unconscionable that these folks can keep us strung along for so long.

Made it to my mom's and back without incident. Spent the first day out to lunch and totally doing the Michael's up there. Am now the proud owner of a puzzle dollhouse! When I asked at the Michael's here about those, like Cheverly says..."they looked at me as if I had a frog crawling out of my nose..." LOL! I bought the furniture too and also a nice shadowbox frame to put my husband's military medals in. The second day was spent in her favorite thrift shop and found some beautiful decorator feather sofa pillows for the living room. So it was another step in the right direction to loosen the grip of this anxiety beast.

So glad you are making plans for a healthier you Heidi!!

• Like 3

Quiet day today. I hate to miss out on our friend Kathy's jazz brunch, but tomorrow we're loading the F250 with all the unsold Jazz Festival merchandise and taking it to Phineas Fogg's for tomorrow night's Jazz Gumbo and Festival Fire Sale; while we're out we'll eat lunch and see if we can find a barber shop not packed out so I can get a much-needed haircut (my hair is always overdue for cutting; we find much more interesting things to do thatn parking my behind in a barber's chair...).

The interview went ok yesterday. I don't know if I'm getting called back for a 2nd interview with the entire legal staff. Usually I can tell when an interview goes very well, and this wasn't one of them. It probably wouldn't be a good fit anyway. They're a criminal defense firm, so they keep criminals out of jail and on the street.

Today I complete my CPR re-certification (I've been certified off and on since I was 12) with the classroom portion of the test. The only thing left before I can test for my CNA certification is the background check, which I submitted almost a week ago. I'm not sure what's taking so long, but it should be spotless.

I plan to do some clearing in the backyard jungle today. I want to start designing the kid's tree houses, but I need to know the exact limb layout on the live oaks we have first. If I can land a good job and get the right tools, my kids are going to have the best playground in town.

• Like 3

I got home to find my wife frying whole tilapia to serve with fresh salad and rice. I'm having cherry Jell-O and grape Gatorade. :/ Also, in a minor twist of irony, the cut on my leg is doing great, but the entry points of the staples are showing signs of infection. I should have just used more duct tape.