What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Oh dear Cheverly, that's horrible. I'm glad that you're at least mostly okay. After a day like that you definitely need to just put your feet up, prop soft pillows around you and rest. Oh, and just an FYI............if they tell you that you're too medicated to work with sharp objects, don't play with glue either. Bad things can happen with glue when one's brain is a bit fuzzy. (Don't ask me how I know, just take my word for it)

Deana, sometimes you remind me of the Energizer Bunny if someone hooked him up to a semi truck battery!! How do you get all that energy?????

The test for acromagaly was negative so no brain tumor. I'm not sure if I should be happy or bummed since it would have fixed most of what's wrong with me. But today the new GP very kindly and gently told me that I need to stop searching for a cause and let them treat the symptoms. She said she knows how resistive I've been about pain management and the big drugs (wow, she actually read my reports from my other doctors!!) but the time has just come to accept that if I'm going to have any quality of life I'm going to have to let them put me on addictive meds to control the pain........and if the pain is controlled, other issues won't constantly be in flare as a result. I'll be able to sleep and that's where the healing happens which is the only argument that will make me agree to it. It makes sense but I hate to take this route. It's what they did to my mother and that's not the way I want to be.
She gave me a referral for another pain management center but I told her I'm going to try the osteopath first even tho he's not in my insurance network............but he does steroid and non-steroid injections so he can give me my carpal tunnel shots without fuss and I'm going to try the trigger point injections for fibro. If they work, then I'll see if acupuncture is a reasonable substitute since dry needle manipulation can be almost as effective if done properly. Besides, it's going to cost me $1200 to consult with the osteo and only $8 to see an acupuncturist so it's worth a try. (And if it weren't for being desperate to get the shots for my hands I'd skip the osteo and go directly to the acupuncturist but my hands are in dire need) I'll do all of those things before I go back to Phoenix and set foot in one of those pain management factories. <grimacing> The experience with that jerk earlier this week still has me all upset and I don't want that to happen again. Oh, and in a diagnosis that I find kind of amusing, it turns out that I have gout. No one ever thought to test me for it but the blood tests were positive and she's starting me on meds for that. It might help my feet and my knee so that's a positive thing. Every little bit that lessens the pain is something to celebrate.
Now I'm going to go find a salad for lunch and admire my new flip flops. I celebrated not having a brain tumor with a pair of really cute OPs with ivory macrame tops and a soft, light brown sole. They'll look awesome with my fringed suede purse.
Sarah, you reeeeeeeeeeally scored with that buffet!! It sounds absolutely gorgeous and nothing is better than getting a piece of furniture you've been admiring for that kind of a discount. A little scratch or two won't detract from its beauty and if you're putting dollhouses on top, it'll never be seen anyway. I'm doing a little happy dance for you!
  • Like 1

Cheverly, oh you poor thing, I sure hope you heal quickly!

Sarah, yay on the new buffet! I love new furniture, just not trying to find a place for it!

Deb, my goodness. Glad you don't have a brain tumor! And hope the new diagnosis brings some relief.

Today at work went pretty well, but Monday will be the crazy day. I didn't snap today, so that's good! I also got almost no work done. Shhhh... I brought some home though.

Heard today that school construction is going well, even went in the brand new high school. So they might get everything pulled off and have all the walls and floors before kids come back in a week. Yay!

And I mentioned last week that we lost 2 people, a tech and network guy. Those will be filled from within probably Monday, leaving a couple more positions plus the one vacancy we already had. Well, today another tech turned in his notice. So we will start the school year 4 people short. I'm curious to see if I get pulled out of the office to go play field tech again. But it will all get done eventually, and it will all be fine! :)

• Like 1

Oh Selkie, I know that story all too well!! We worked really hard this summer upgrading all our XP machines. And we were lucky we were able to put new computers in 24 schools. We have 52. We have 12 schools and the central office left to "refresh" by next school year.

But, we had our time where our SPLOST didn't pass, and we missed a refresh cycle for computers. And schools that desperately needs repairs didn't get renovated. Then the community pitches a fit when the kids are using 7 year old computers and the a/c breaks and the roof leaks. The last one passed.

I'm sorry your schools are still struggling, I know the pressures states place on the schools. I wish I could come get y'all all upgraded!

I'm glad that our district is finally recovering ( we get a raise this year for the first time in 6 years!). But 5 years ago, I actually took my kids out of the system and put them in private school. I am fortunate I was able to, but I felt a little like a traitor. But you gotta do what's best for your own kids. Plus, it's good to have that separation as well, especially when you work for the central office. I have only one left, and I have considered bringing him back, we have a new fancy high school with a new learning model. But the school has served us well for 5 years, so we will stay as long as it still does, and we can afford it. We evaluate the school and our situation every year. And we just have 3 years left.

Selkie, and everyone else with struggling school budgets, hope all turns out well for y'all and you get what you need soon!

And I'll stop babbling now. :)

• Like 2

Hi everyone :) wow there's been lots happening since I was last on here ... My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone having a tough time.

I've just found out I'm very low in B12 and folic acid which won't be helping my recovery. I also found out that where my bowel was perforated is the same part that absorbs B12 so I may need injections permanently ... A small price to pay I guess but I'd quite like to stop having new things to treat as a result of this. I've finally accepted that it'll take at least a year to recover and discover who the new me is and what if any long term issues I'll have. The one thing I'm looking forward to doing is working on my minis ... It's my carrot I'm dangling for myself! My physio picked up my memory and cognitive issues so I finally have a referral to an occupational therapist and I figure I'll tell them how important my minis are to me and hopefully will get strategies from them!

• Like 1

We are finally home with no more blown out tires or other drama. The campground wee stopped in Tuesday PM was one we used to stay in for cycling events; it used to be a depressing place, but somewhere they found a more cheerful attitude and this time it was fun and I was sorry it was only for one night.

Wednesday and last night we stayed in Tallahassee at a campground near The Kid's house. We got the tenant's key to the Havana house without incident, we got together with friends for supper, we hit some thrift stores and got the exterminator to bomb the Havana house to kill the fleas and set up with a plumber to treat and mend the tankless water heater and today we got up with the landscape man to clean up the yard and the next thing will be the contractor to come make all the repairs.

Helen,so great to see you back! I hope you will be more on the mend soon and am so glad for the progress you have made! Welcome home,dear lady! :)

My dear Cheverely,bless your heart! I hope you will be good ( :D) and get well so you can enjoy playing with sharp things SAFELY again! Glad it wasn't a worse accident,my friend!

Deb,so,so glad you don't have a tumor,but I do understand how much it means to know just what the heck the answer IS then! I hope your new doctor continues to listen to you and that the osteo and acupunture ventures are very successful! You deserve a fair BREAK in this battle of yours,little warrior girl!

To everyone else having a tough day or week,hey,I been there with ya! We WILL survive!:)

ED.-Just saw your post Holly-glad y'all are home safe and sound!

I wrote about my own day over in my Bad News Kat thread,so I won't rehash,except I am sure going to enjoy relaxing for the entire weekend!!!

Edited by kat57
  • Like 3

We're having an haboob! <chuckling> We don't get blowing dust advisories............we get "large airborne particle" warnings and they're not kidding. I'm pretty sure the thunder is actually boulders being tossed around out there! Of course I've been out in the middle of it because thunder and lightning draw me out like a tractor beam altho I waited til the dust had died down a little and the rain had begun. Then I went out and stood with my face to the wind and let it whip my hair around my face and my skirt around my ankles and simply drew in the energy. It was *awesome*.

• Like 3

I'm back to work in the County Fair season - this is #2 out of 7 in July and August - and this event should have stayed on the drawing board. There was a discrepancy as to when it opened, and my boss wanted me to err on the side of caution - so it's a 13 hour day with VERY FEW people attending. But I'm happy because (1) I was allowed to bring my notebook computer and (2) there is free wi-fi offered as advertising for a utility company and (3) I've been online almost all day searching for some mini stuff. Not wasting my time at home where a dozen things pull at me, not using up my data-plan allotment by using my Hot-Spot connection - and still attending to my job and signing up the 3 people that walked through the building. Not a bad day at all :)

• Like 3

We're having a cool morning in the 80s (although more humidity at 40% than we're used to) so I took advantage of it and washed all the dust off the patio. That means beating the furniture cushions to get the dust off of them, then taking a power washer to the rest of the furniture, tables, plant stands...........anything horizontal that the dust settled on after last night's haboob. I had drifts of sand up on the patio so the dust was pretty thick. After I cleaned my patio nice and neat, I watered all the plants that weren't in the open to get rained on, and sprayed all the weeds that keep popping up in my gravel. I moved a few plants to accommodate the change in the sun's position and then called it a day. It's Bruce's day off so we're going to run into town to the drug store and the hardware store. Bruce is making a cigar box guitar as a memorial for my dad and needs a couple of bits of hardware and as long as we're there, I'll see if I can find a couple more samba plants. We'll probably stop for lunch at either our favorite bistro or the one sit-down mexican food place and then come home. It's not a big day but big enough for me.

What's everyone else up to on this gloriously gorgeous Saturday?

• Like 1

I am sweating gallons after pulling weeds and planting flowers for a couple of hours. It's not yet 11 am but the heat is killing. I think it's time to quit for the day. The rest of the flowers have lived in their pots this long -- they'll survive another few days!

they admitted little Antonio to the Childrens Hospital yesterday for failure to thrive....

the baby is alert and awake since birth....he has gained inches and right on track with everything but his weight....

so they are watching his feeding habits as he is a breast baby and ran a bunch of test on him...

so far all his test came back neg for anything and this morning he reached for and grabbed his rattle for the first time...

I am not super worried...we have super skinny babies in our family...I didnt have one but my sister did as well as 2 of my cousins and I was one...yes

I was a super scrawny baby

whats bothersome is me without transportation and them babies an hour away from ME!!

I did get all the required school supplies for the kidos and we packed the backpacks for the first day of school...all we have left is the layaway to get out on Friday cuz school starts the 4th...

still waiting for that man of mine to return home from his training run with his big rig...I am not patient... :bomb:

Nutti,I know you are so worried and disappointed about not being able to see Antonio! Bless his little heart,hopefully everything will continue to show that he is just fine! If it helps to share it,I have a grown niece who was thought to be a 'failure to thrive' baby at one time-and yes,she looked pitiful at 6 months! She is a mother herself now and very healthy. My own firstborn was just barely above premie weight,born 12 days before his due date,and has always been extremely healthy-even though in those first few weeks he was so scrawny he looked practically malnourished!lol Saying a prayer for Antonio and you,Grandma! :)

• Like 1

well since my own sister went through this same thing with my niece Molly and she was a bottle fed baby I havent been freaked

he is good and very smart baby but for his weight he is perfect...she is in good hands at the hospital and has already received some good information to help her and him...of course if she would just listen to MEEEEE lol...

I am frustrated not to be able to be there to offer encouragement and hang out with bored mommy while daddy works and of course play with a cutie pie.

Jason my middle boy grew so fast they kept watching me for over feeding...im like well he is hungry I feed him....but when ya come into the world at 11lbs and 22 in long you be starvin....lol....

ty for the encouraging words....we hanging in there via facetalk lol

• Like 1

Nutti - hope your little grandson will be home soon. Sometimes the mother's breast milk isn't rich enough and they just need extra supplements. Always better to be safe than sorry with the little ones, though. They have little margin for error. Sounds like a real little sweetheart :)

• Like 1

I was a failure to thrive baby too. I weighed 18 lbs on my first birthday and only 17 lbs when I turned two. I didn't gain any height that year either. In all those years of teaching I saw quite a few failure to thrive babies and all of them hit their stride when the time was right for them. One of the things that doctors don't always tell moms of FtT babies is that intellectual stimulation helps. Reading to them, playing music, fascinating things to look at that hold their attention like mobiles or even computer screen savers are all ways of helping the neurological side of failure to thrive. Baby Antonio might be an exceptionally bright child who's bored. Some kids just need more intellectual input than others. I'm sorry that Dean isn't home yet. When that rig pulls into the driveway you'll either hug him half to death or whack him upside the head. Or both. LOL!!!! Hang in there sweetie. You're doing just fine with a very difficult situation.

• Like 1

Deb....when I realized how awake and alert he was...from the start...I read and sing to him as I did my own and have encouraged both of them to start reading to him

and the rattle was my idea...Im like get him following that rattle help him start making those little connections...I even taught daddy...eyes nose finger toes....

he was like already?? I said yes...if he is awake he is needing stimulation of the mind....he has already rolled over a couple of times...

and the 2 babies have a cousin and I told her to start singing the abc song and count....Jaxon sings to him the I love you special baby song...his own original Antonio song.

Dean will be here soon...like within hours so Ima go quiet for a couple of days...we will go to hospital tomorrow to spend day with sis and baby

If he's tracking and rolling over and responding to singing then he's a bright little guy! Small doesn't mean something is wrong but it would be remiss of the doctors not to respond to his size. He'll catch up one of these days and then like a typical boy, he'll eat them out of house and home!

i'm so glad Dean is almost there. I betcha that I'll be able to hear your squeal of delight all the way down here when you see his truck! Enjoy your days with him sweetie.

• Like 1

<yawning and stretching> I've been up for waaaaaaaaaaay too long today but we had another haboob blow thru around 2:30 this morning and I wasn't sleeping well anyway so I got up and after the dust had passed, went outside to watch the lightning. The rain came after the storm and we had a nice steady rain that really cooled things off for about an hour or two. After that I potted a couple of plants, washed down the patio again and started a load of laundry. Boring stuff, but busywork and I'm always happy when I can get something accomplished. The rest of the day will be observed from bed but I thought I'd update my galleries here on the forum. I just realized that the Geek Chic Magnolia album didn't come across with the last upgrade so I'm uploading that one and then I'll add pics of the Pierce remodel. It's been awhile and all my mini pictures are on my old laptop with the dead wifi card so it'll be a good day to try and transfer files and then update my albums. Today I'm going to be a tortoise.

What's everyone else doing with their lovely Sunday?

I am taking a day off from the garden. Up at 4:30, so updated Quicken, balanced check books, and paid some bills. Took a nice long tepid shower and put on a denim dress and sandals, unusual for me not to be in slacks. Boiled up some eggs and deviled 'em. Stuffed green bell peppers with hamburger, onion and brown rice and have them simmering in a mix of fire roasted (canned) tomatoes and V-8. I usually bake them but am hoping the stove top won't heat up the kitchen as much as the oven.

The A/C was making some straining noises yesterday, so I turned it off last night and didn't turn it on again until the thermometer registered 78 a few minutes ago. Only asking it to cool down to 75, then I'll turn it off again. Will call the A/C guys in the morning to come check it out. Really don't want to be without it for very long.

Interestingly, I seem to be breaking out with little patches of something like poison ivy rash on my arms and beside my mouth, where I probably brushed my gloved hand. I'm not happy about it, especially considering the vines that I cut off the fence have dried in a pile and now need to be disposed of.

I think I'll go watch something exciting on Netflix while the peppers cook.

• Like 1

Kathie, I hope the skin reaction isn't too serious. It sounds painful enough already so hopefully your face isn't effected by whatever was in that pile. My nerium oleanders are going to need major trimming this fall and I'm such a klutz with so little peripheral feeling that I'm not sure I want to try it on my own.

Holly it's always good to see you back online! Darn kid anyway. And Deana, your lightning storm sounds just awesome. Not taking on any damage is the best part.

I'm still laughing myself half silly over an encounter the boys had with a lizard this afternoon. I was in the kitchen and saw Frankie and Deano (my tuxedo cats) over by the patio door when sudden they both stared bouncing around and trilling and meowarking at something outside. It wasn't their usual "It's a bird!" chatter so I figured it was a lizard and sure 'nuff, when I got to the door I could see a baby whiptail about four inches long and the size of a pencil sitting on the welcome mat. The sun was at just the right angle that he couldn't see the boys inside.........all he could see was his own reflection.

Whiptail lizards are every bit as curious as cats so when this little fellow saw a lizard in the glass, it made him take a few steps closer. Of course that meant that all the noises coming from the other side of the glass got louder and there was a lot of scratching and banging. So the little lizard came even closer and then sat up on his back legs, rested his front legs on the edge of the door and pressed his snout right up against the glass.

Oh, that did it. Frankie and Deano just totally lost it! There was bouncing and jumping and pouncing on the glass and at one point Frankie decided that he could dig thru the carpet and tunnel his way out to the patio. I had to step in and break it up because they were starting to fall all over themselves and I knew a fight would be imminent so I shoved them apart which wasn't easy to do since I was laughing so hard I could hardly stand up. That left the baby whiptail still sitting beside the door with his snout to the glass and a look on his face that could only have said, "I never get invited to the fun parties". He finally waddled off swinging his little blue tail behind him to go in search of bigger and better adventures, leaving me with two VERY disgruntled cats. It's gonna take a lot of 'nip before they forgive me for this one.

• Like 2

We've been gone for a few days so I've been trying to catch up this evening on everyone. It doesn't take long to get behind in the posts and everyone's new info. Whew! You all have been very busy, I must say.

The kiddos have had a fun new adventure with us while their grampa got a special award for some work he did. We stayed in a fancy hotel and they all got fancy "city" clothes for the adventure. The middle gal (wisteria) was especially thrilled to have a new dress and a new fancy pants and top outfit. She is our little fashion diva/princess.

They bounced around like little balls all over the city going boing- boing- boing with all their youthful enthusiasm. Wish I had a couple ounces of that energy.

We had gotten some new audio book sets out of the library for the long ride and that worked great. We finished off two of them - a Hardy boy mystery and a Trixie Belden one on this trip. Those always work well for us.

I've made the decision to leave my caregiver job while I am dealing with my breast cancer. I wrote more about it in my topic,Bad News Kat. By the way,as soon as I do get GOOD news about this I will see if a moderator can change the title-Not there yet,but hopefully soon! :)

I felt sick today,so I didn't do anything more than a few household chores and fix supper. I am anxious to get the next appointments rolling and get on with the surgery!

• Like 1