What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Thanks everyone! I'm a little overwhelmed....or maybe just in shock......but oh, so glad that I found Dr. M. I was just looking up something from my notes that he said that struck a chord in my memory and discovered that he was referring to Ankylosing Spondylitis. Early last year my pain management doctor in Denver had said that I had all the symptoms of that (bone growth, spontaneous spinal fusion, etc) as well as CREST syndrome. I had seen my dermatologist and opthamologist not long after and they confirmed the skin and eye portions of it; then my GP also agreed but all of them said that my rhuematologist was who I needed to talk to about it. I'm not sure why she disagreed since she's probably been the best doctor on my team but even she isn't perfect. Ankylosing Spondylitis is the same as Rheumatoid Arthritis except it acts in reverse. RA deteriorates bone and AS grows too much bone. It's a genetic thing and I had to laugh at Dr M when he told me that somewhere in my family there were some seriously messed up genes. (thanks mom)

The best thing about Dr M is that he made it clear that he understands the challenges I face when it comes to things like exercise with my mobility and even good nutrition because it's hard to eat properly when you can't stand up long enough to even toss some lettuce and tomatoes in a bowl and call it salad. And then he started giving me the steps in small pieces that I *can* do and telling me how he wants me to go in baby steps with his guidance all the way. He wasn't shy about telling me that it's going to be hard work on my part but we devised a set of goals and objectives that fit me, not just some generic template that only frustrates me because it's too far ahead of where I need to begin. This time last year I was so sick that I didn't even have a measurable blood pressure, passed out every time I rolled over, and could only lay in bed watching my muscles spasm and jerk uncontrollably so telling me to get up and do ten minutes on the treadmill, go make a power smoothie and fix grilled chicken with three different veggies for dinner was asking a bit much. I've come back a long way since then but my body took a serious beating thru all that mess. Dr M said he didn't care if it took three months or three years, the main thing to focus on is that there is hope. As he put it, "One of these days you'll look in the mirror and see the person you lost." Of course I broke down and cried over that. I don't expect miracles but now I have something concrete to work with instead of the constant echo about just accepting the way things are.

Lynette, I just saw the good news about Antonio!!! Wooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo!!! That little guy is a super fighter and he'll get the nursing thing figured out. I didn't know that they didn't recommend dark beer or wine to let down milk anymore. Huh. That was always the first thing doctors used to recommend.

• Like 2

Well I am sitting here teary over Deb's good news and the hummingbirds are outside making me laugh. I swear, they wait until the liquid in the feeder gets 100 proof and then they battle it out over who it all belongs too! LOL! I think my hummingbirds are becoming mean drunks......

• Like 1

This week I've been Decluttering like a mad woman. I went thru my oldest sons room and organized and cleaned it out. Still have to wash the walls. I really want to paint the boys rooms, but gotta find some $$. I started decluttering in my foyer, which had hardly nothing in it. But I get it all cleaned, floor, walls, window and door. Then I started in the living room, mostly the boys stuff was cluttering it up. Got that all done. Now I'm working between my youngest sons room and the dining room. I want to make the dining room more functional, but have no idea how to. Our room will be sometime in August. I'm going to go thru all our clothes and drawers and declutter it completely. Then I guess I'll tackle the lower level. It's a total mess, drop off central.! I have 3 rooms down there, craft room, game room and I'm not sure what you call it. Lol, it's got a storage area, laundry area and a big area where we have a tv and small loveseat. It's needs totally decluttered. The game room has the pool table, fish tank which I am taking down and hiding under the stairs, And a futon.

My youngest sons been complaining about his pitching arm so we went to the sports med dr today. He is scheduled for rehab, 2 xs a week for 6 weeks. It's about a 40 minute drive from our home. They only do the rehab in the afternoons. I'm trying to get a second job or one full time job. So this is going to be crazy. Cannot afford to wait until after his rehab but may have to. I'm still fighting my mom on her dr stuff. And I have to take her to the store weekly. I feel like I am being pulled every direction and I just can't catch up. Frustrated, I am beyond. Barely making the bills and now the extra expense of gas to the dr. For son is going to really make things tougher, not to mention time off work for the appts. Really wish they could have something in the mornings on my days off, and much closer. I'm overwhelmed with it all and feel like I could just scream. I haven't had time to work on the dollhouses. Really wanted to get a few done to sell. And I wanted to start making things to sell, I'll just have to make time somewhere, somehow to do so. Sorry to vent.

• Like 1

Wow - two ends of emotions running on the forum, I see.

Congrats Deb on your stellar news. So glad you have found someone who will listen.

Hugs and wishes for miracles for time, finances and energy for you Kellee.

Hurray for Deb! Isn't it great to find a Dr. who knows what they're doing?

Kellee & Kat, here's to hoping things work out for the best.

Today I was stuck at home all day with the kids, so we baked a few dozen chocolate chip cookies. I found a possible job lead online- "model builder"! The only problem is that the company is an hour away and only pays $10/hr. They make collectibles for sci-fi fans. Mostly posters and key chains, but also high quality models of space ships. They have a model of the 80's movie version of the U.S.S. Enterprise, completely lit up and even the shuttle bay doors are open with an illuminated shuttle bay. That item is retailed at just under $10,000, so I doubt they build many of them.

I'm less enthusiastic about next week's CNA class. I found out that none of the local healthcare providers higher anyone from the school because they don't have any hands-on or clinicals as part of the curriculum, but even worse, they don't teach CPR as part of the course! CPR is an additional $100! I'm scheduled to get my CPR recertification elsewhere, but about 2 weeks after I complete the CNA course. The only reason I'm still taking the course is because I already have hand-on experience working with patients, and the local hospitals can't set their standards too high if they're only paying McDonald's wages for the job. I shouldn't have too much trouble overcoming the institution's reputation with my previous work history, so I'm hopeful.

• Like 1

Kellee, are you sure there isn't a physical therapy service closer to your home. You don't have to go to the one your doc suggested. Sometimes they will even come to your house, just curious.

• Like 1

Did they also explain you may have to carry your own liability insurance as a CNA? You might look into that. I worked for a home health agency just before I retired. I was the accountant. We did not pay for travel or insurance. The CNA's were independent contractors and the pay was not that great because our only payor was Medicare, so the rates were very low.

As a RN I used to carry my own personal liability & malpractice insurance. That and the expen$e of continuing education courses to keep up my license, plus the co$t of license renewal while living on my pension plus SS made it an easy decision to let the license lapse, since I wasn't going to work any more, anyway.

Well tomorrow I am going to the clinic....I went there once before when I got back from Mo after my hospital stay

I have to get back on the meds for the bipolar...so much stress right now has me cycling so fast Im meeting my calm self coming and going and

it must stop...I feel like my head will POP.....crossing fingers they are in the ins program...I got online to find a Dr and of the 6 places I called I got one live person

and the Dr I asked about no longer worked at that clinic....so I asked...just how does someone find a dr when all the numbers on the web-sight a dead end....she said I dont know mam...click!

sigh..... the clinic is a hospital clinic that I know is on the list....if they cant help me...perhaps they can point me to some ACTUAL help.

I actually have never looked for a Dr...ever....

My mom set us up with a Dr when we moved to Carthage... and when another Dr took his place when I was 18...he became my family(all of my kids too) dr...when the gyno said she wouldnt take care of me if I didnt change Dr I went to one of my friends Dr...the end....any other dr has been a referral....call me at loose ends AND I have the distinct pleasure of NOT being able to decipher paperwork....I am eyes glazed over cant remember the sentence I just read with any and all paperwork...have been for years...in Mo I have a bestie who reads...highlights and explains to me WTH it says!

here I am hoping for a sympathetic receptionist tomorrow........ If all goes well I will be offline for a few days playing in Zombie land while the meds do their thing and my body adjusts....

Antonio has gained a full lb in the last 4 days but is going to be having more blood work in a few weeks....he had High liver enzymes...they want to check them again after he has gained some weight...they are hoping it had to do with the low weight....the other 2 kidos are excited about starting school on Monday and we are still waiting for Dean to get his truck...the one they gave him needed new air compressor...but he is packed and ready for when he gets the call....

• Like 1

I hope your visit goes well Nutti! People are usually nicer to your face than on the phone. I am sure someone will help you out, I have faith in humanity. :)

I have to cut up a dead tree today. I found someone to pull it out and now it's laying on the driveway. I may as well chop down the giant ugly bush in front as well. Then I can start cleaning up out there.

I bought more perennials at Lowe's yesterday. I must say I am impressed with the quality and price. Their 1/2 gal plants are $8, compare to $11 at our local nursery. And they are healthy, not root bound, end-of-season dregs, although it is the end of the planting season. Each time I go there, the spaces between the pots have increased. Just as well -- despite the way the garden is coming along, I'm tired of planting. Give me some mindless maintenance, like weeding, and I'd be a happier camper.

We also stopped by Lowe's yesterday to replace our dead dehumidifier. I picked up a bag of potting soil, since we have to go back to the Havana house for a couple of days. I'm taking pruning clippers, bread bags & twisty ties and bring home some cuttings of my hydrangeas and azaleas to try rooting. The last time the neighbor across the street mowed our yard he took out my native azalea bush that had survived three years. We have a new neighbor who does professional yard work abd we let him mow it. We also priced a/c/heating units. What they had were made in China, said Frigidaire on the box in BIG letters and Electrolux in much smaller letters on the side that had the EER information; the EER was too low for DH, so we're still looking; probably not find what we want at a big box hardware store.

Nutti,I so hope you have better luck at the clinic,bless your heart. I know how much it matters to have the feeling that everyone is there for you in your time of need-so far the hospital system dealing with my cancer has held true to that. I will keep positive thoughts for you to be treated right by them. And don't let them treat you like crap-you deserve respect!

I woke up in a much better mood today than I have for several mornings! Yesterday I learned my breast tumor is barely a stage 2 and that I will be having surgery next week to have a port-a-cath inserted-it's my understanding that it will make the chemotherapy treatments much easier to go through. I go in today for an echocardiogram and an axillary ultrasound,then a weekend break. I can't say I am excited about the chemotherapy,but I am glad I will soon be getting the treatments. "Lefty" is sooo tired of this uninvited guest!! :glare:

Sable,

Home health is definitely out of the question. After adding up wear and tear on your own vehicle, insurance and other expenses, combined with a lower than average wage, home health is like delivering pizzas- you don't make any actual income to live on. I'm only going to CNA school as a stepping stone. The medical centers here offer tuition reimbursement to their full time employees, so I will be able to get my ASN. If I get A's in all my classes, I'll only have to front the money for my first class. Even if I don't do that well, I'll get most of my courses paid for and won't have any student loan debt to pay off later.

Jeremy, way back when the earth was cooling and I was in my early 30s, I did some moonlighting as a CNA in a nursing home to pay for my divorce. My day job was as admin/director of a huge pre-k private school which made it one of the most enriching and enlightening times in my life as I worked with both extremes of the age spectrum and learned that life truly is a circle. The first thing I learned was that being a CNA is an extreme form of physical labor. I found that I could lift men who weighed more than I did as long as I remembered my properties of physics. It's exhausting and dirty and kind of thankless, but then again, working in the nursing home was an experience that I wouldn't change for anything. Because I'm a very soothing kind of person I spent most of my time in the dementia/immobile wing helping patients with extreme illnesses. In most cases it was simply doing whatever I could to make people comfortable and bring them a laugh or a smile or a gentle touch as they waited for their time to cross over. A couple of them died in my arms and while that sounds traumatic, those were precious moments when I knew that someone who had no one to care about them didn't leave this plane alone. But the best part was getting to know some incredible people who had amazing stories to share and so much character! It takes a lot of patience and the right mental state to be a CNA but I think you'll do very well in that job........and that it will be an excellent gateway for you to enter the nursing field. As understanding, caring, and compassionate as you are, you'll be a natural!

Y'all are gonna love what I saw from the backyard this morning! A roadrunner flew up onto my neighbor's roof and was strutting around up there like he was king of the world. Yes, they can fly for short distances so he was going from the ground to the top of the garden wall, then up to the patio roof and finally up to the main roof. Oh, he was gorgeous! It was definitely a rooster because he had that brilliant touch of red and he was HUGE. I've seen them get pretty big but that's definitely the largest I've ever seen. He was well over a foot tall standing upright. I'm so excited because I hope that he'll stay in the area. I'd be thrilled to feed him if he decided to come into the yard. I'd be more than happy to keep eggs on hand to toss in a pan and set out for him. Roadrunners are primarily carnivores and red meat or eggs are real treats for them. Normally they don't come this close into human communities (although I've seen tons of them on farms and in small towns) so as summer wears on his hunting grounds are a bit depleted and he's looking to see what we might have around. Since he was outside of the walls where I've seen the snake holes, that's probably what he's going after. Roadrunners are one of the main predators of snakes so that's yet another reason I'd love for him to stay. However, even if he doesn't stay, it was a genuine thrill to see him this morning. Roadrunners were a special favorite of my Dad so that was kind of a "shared" moment with him. <meep, meep>

• Like 5

Oh Deb, how very cool!!

I love seeing animals out in nature.

It was seriously awesome to see! I've seen some big roadrunners but this handsome fellow was by far the largest and it was just so cool to see him fly. That's a rare enough event anyway but not one that humans see very often which is why most people think that they can't fly at all. They get around faster and with more agility on those zippy little legs of theirs so there's not much point in flying unless they need to get up on something. I still hope that he was up there scouting out the neighborhood to see if he wants to move in. I also SO want a roadrunner weather vane now too. That silhouette was pretty cool.

In more backyard news, I have a whole new batch of baby lizards out in the yard. I counted five teeny whiptails less than two inches long out on the garden wall this evening, roaming around doing lizard things. A couple of them were practicing climbing the trees. This will probably be the last clutching of the season tho. I'll have a few more random batches but from this point on they'll be focused on growing and being prepared for hibernation in the fall.

I got caught out in a haboob this afternoon too. I was sitting on the patio talking to my SIL on the phone and didn't see it coming. I was watching a storm coming in from the north so I wasn't prepared for the split second change in wind direction and then whoooosh, suddenly everything was covered in dust and I couldn't see the house next door. I pulled my shirt up over my face and made a dash for the door with no ill effects except for being covered in dust and it's certainly not the first time I've been dusty. We had a wild rain storm with lots of lightning and then it blew out as fast as it came in. Monsoon season is never boring! Other than that it's been an ordinary day. What's everyone else been up to?

A day's respite from the garden today. Still have much work to do, including moving some bushes and large hostas, which my aching muscles dread. But today it is raining, so indoor activity is on the agenda.

Laundry, laundry and some more laundry is on the agenda today. Plus the daily vacuuming and other cleaning. I had to put my DH table away :cry: My older son is watching our friend's dogs for a week. Peace of mind for them and a little money for him are 2 good reasons to put the minis up for a little bit. There are 2 of them so we are a 5 dog household for a bit, although they're both miracles in terms of dog age. One is 14 and the other 16! They mostly sleep with the occasional bark thrown in for good measure :) My boys really want to play with them, not happening since I'm afraid of the "mature" ladies being crushed! Ancient mini dachshunds are not hardy enough for the rough play my boys like; even getting hit with Timmy's tail would knock them over :lol:

I might have a concrete patio going in this week, so I have to do some prep work. I was going to do it in brick pavers, but I like concrete better as no weeds can come up. I also have some laundry to do and bread to make since I ruined the loaf I made yesterday.

Lovely day yesterday! I went to a farm in Lanesboro and did a pick your own raspberries and blueberries thing. We have our own raspberry bushes here, but they're so tiny compared to the ones at the farm!

I also came home with a gorgeous Hibiscus plant! It's so beautiful, I couldn't resist. And only $9.99!