What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I'm getting ready to head out for the hand surgeon and a refill of cortisone in both hands. Yay!! But I may be offline for a couple of days til I can type again........it depends on how good the doctor is with a needle. There have been times I was back on my fingers in a day and other times when they hit the bundle of nerves in my wrist and I was stuck with my hands in ice packs for a week so we'll see. TTYL!

• Like 2

If you guys will forgive me, I need to have a really good, really loud cry right now. That sorry bastaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........<pausing to search for the right word for this "doctor" and failing to find anything that's not profane>...........uh, let's call him the bad man and let it go at that. This bad man came in and after I told him how long I've had carpal tunnel he told me that I had to have surgery. I tried to explain to him why I haven't had surgery because things like strokes and trying to oxygenate my blood and pulmonary hypertension and cancer and a few other things like that have taken a priority but he leaned back with his young 30-something cocky attitude and adjusted his Rolex watch while he told me that he didn't care about any of my other issues; his only concern was my carpal tunnel and he refused to do anything but invasive surgery. He didn't look at my EMG results or the notes from my neurologist about complications from axonal polyneuropathy or from my cardiologist about impaired circulation or my rheumatologist about the bone spurs and twisted joints or my endo about the complications from wild swings between Grave's Disease and Hashimotos plus diabetic neuropathy. All of that is part of my hand and wrist pain, not just carpal tunnel. This sorry baaaaaa.......aaad man didn't even examine my hands except to pull my thumb back and watch me try to flex my fingers. He didn't test my strength in my fingers or palm, nor did he even touch my wrists. He simply stated that surgery was the only option and he wouldn't dream of giving me cortisone shots.

I tried to explain to him how many other skeletal, muscular, and systemic issues I have that take a higher priority over my hands and if a shot of cortisone lasts me for a year or more, it's not exactly a big deal. I mean, in the past seven years I've been diagnosed with 32 different illnesses like degenerative disc disease that's moderate to severe in all three parts of my spine, sacrilization (overgrowth of new bone on top of old bone) over my entire lumbar and S joints plus some in the thoracic region, thoracic scoliosis,huge bone spurs in both hip joints plus every other joint in my body and up and down my spine which is part of the as yet undiagnosed reason for why I keep growing bone, arthritis in every joint in my body which is osteo in name only........I don't test positive for RA but I have all the symptoms of it. Then there's fibromyalgia, Grave's Disease/Hasimotos, Sjogren's, pulmonary hypertension, monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined specifications (that's the pre-lymphoma), hypoxemia, blood hyper-viscosity, permanent effects of long term high altitude sickness, papillary cancer, demyliniated polyneuropathy in all four limbs, and so many silent strokes that they don't even know how many there actually have been..........one doctor counted 96 on the MRI. I have white spots of dead brain tissue all over and some are the size of a quarter. And that's just the tip of the ice berg coz there are lots of "minor" things like high blood pressure and high cholesterol and let's not forget the possible brain tumors that I'll find out about on Friday. So there's a lot to consider, especially since about half of that stuff causes "carpal tunnel type symptoms". These are things he needs to know about because sometimes carpal tunnel isn't just carpal tunnel............it's other things that mimic the symptoms and surgery would cause permanent damage instead of helping. I know these things because I've seen some of the best doctors in Denver who agreed that surgery might be needed further down the road but not until the other systemic issues were under control and they aren't.

The bad man sat there with his eyes glazing over while he played with his Rolex and then before I finished talking, he gathered up his papers and said, "If you refuse surgery then there's nothing I can do for you. See if you can find a rheumatologist who'll give you shots if that's what you want." And then the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...............aad man got up and walked out!!!! Bruce sort of scooped me up and I got to the check out desk before I started crying and fortunately made it to an empty elevator before the sobs started. I cried and cussed and cried a lot more all the way home. This is why I've waited for so long to start looking for new doctors here. I've already seen over 50 doctors in the past seven years and this bad man wasn't my first encounter with a total jerk. It's just one of the most frustrating because it's not like I was asking for narcotics or something outrageous.............all I wanted was simple cortisone shots in my wrists so that my hands aren't blocks of wood anymore----and this isn't anything new either; it's continuing the course of treatments that my doctors in Denver had started and wanted me to pursue. But he made his decision that surgery was the only option without even looking at my old EMG results or considering doing a new EMG which is exactly what he should have done because without that information he had no way of knowing if I really am a candidate for surgery or not. I'm so furious that I can't even think straight and all I want to do is scream and throw things. I'm not a violent person but I told Bruce that if he didn't get me out of there I was going to go after that doctor and beat the sssshhhhhhhh out of him.

So that was my day and i'm sorry to come here and blurt it all out in a big emotional outburst but if I don't I think I really will scream. Normally I take all my health stuff in stride but to be refused help that I need so desperately right now and even worse, to be treated so badly by such a total jerk just put me over the emotional edge today. I'm going to sit here and sob into my pillow for awhile because there's not much else I can do. My hands are too numb and stiff to type anymore and my hip and back are still so jacked up that I can't move and my concentration is so blown right now that about all that's left is to listen to music and try not to think.

Forgive me for being so negative today my friends. I should just delete this but I think I need to say it out loud to feel better. However, I do have a plan. I'm never setting foot into a big city medical practice again. I'm going to Casa Grande (population under 30K) and find a good old fashioned horse doctor (aka, an osteopath). They're a lot more likely to do more for skeletal and rheumatology related issues than most of the jerks I've seen with fancy degrees. I'll take a small town osteopath over the jackass from Harvard any day. Or the high priced endo who called me with test results late at night when he was drunk as a skunk. Or about 80% of that long list of doctors that I've seen. I need to go back to old school medical treatments where they acknowledge that I'm a person with some serious challenges, not a paper doll who fits into a cookie cutter template. <banging head on keyboard> Enough. I can't think anymore. I'll be okay, I just needed to talk about it and have a really good cry.

• Like 1

Oh, Deb, I'm so sorry! :console: As soon as you said "30-something" I knew it wouldn't be a good report! I don't like young doctors either - I know they need to work to get experience, but some of them are just not teachable! I hope you can find a good "old-fashioned" one to help you. Your story reminded me of an episode on Golden Girls, where Dorothy knows she is ill but no doctor can find the problem; they just kept telling her it's all in her head, etc. Turned out to be fibromyalgia, but she had to keep persisting to get help.

I do hope you get some relief soon. In the meantime, Dr. Greenleaf is here to help!

• Like 2

Oh NO !!!! That is just not fair !!!!!!!! :furious:

This is TOTALLY unacceptable.

I'm SO sorry this has happened Deb.

Please take my ever so gentle hugs and comfort. :console:

I'm coming out there with my old lady penguin wobble and beat this man with my cane and anything else I can do to get his attention, that's what I'm gonna do.

:bop::pokey::rocket: :spar: :rifle::gun_guns::gun2: :swordfight:

• Like 1

Of course you can come here and share your frustrations. (There are a lot of us here who question these 'professionals' and how they treat people.

You'll find the right person, but the search is so hard. Hang in there. . .

Thanks guys. It helps a lot to have support when stuff like this happens because it really messed me up a lot. I've been fighting for so long to get a diagnosis and get these doctors to stop getting mired down in symptoms and try to find the cause. Simple cortisone injections once a year keep my hands working enough that I can sometimes do normal things if I take it easy on repetitive tasks and when your life has dwindled down to so little, that tiny thing makes a huge difference in my quality of life. More frustrating is getting that attitude from yet another doctor who is masking the true situation.......he doesn't know how to handle someone with this many issues. My new GP told me that I'm the kind of patient that most doctors will try to drive away because I'm overwhelming and I think she's right. That pretty much describes what this ass...........um, bad man did and could certainly explain why he practically ran out of the room after doing his best to offend me. And Kathie, Bruce said the same thing about reporting him before we even got out of the elevator and that's what I'm going to do. I know that nothing will come of it but it'll inconvenience him enough that maybe he'll think twice before acting like a jerk to someone else. Tomorrow I'll call the osteopath in Casa Grande and see if I can get in to see him soon. Maybe the old ways are the best ones. I sure haven't had much luck with fancy, big city doctors. It took seven years and over 50 doctors to get a team of a rheumatologist, a neurologist, and a GP..........and the only reason I got the GP was because he's my neuro's best friend. It's overwhelming to me to have to start all this over again from scratch and I sure didn't think that I'd get this kind of problem over the simplest of my medical issues.

I have something else to share with you guys and it's a totally different kind of emotion so I've been on a real roller coaster today. My sister-in-law called a little while ago. She's been separated from my brother for almost ten years and when they split up I stayed friends with Neecy because she's my true sibling. We're sisters of the heart and are as close as any blood siblings could be.....certainly closer than I ever was to my brother. It wasn't long after they split up that I stopped talking to my brother and mother completely.........and I couldn't talk to my beloved father because while his body was still there, his mind was lost to Alzheimer's. The last I'd heard my brother had put them in a nursing home somewhere in Texas.. Daddy passed away almost three years ago and I found out when my brother left me a voice mail. He told me that I could have some of my father's ashes if I would call and talk to my mother. Not even for my dad could I do that so for the past three years i haven't even known where my father was laid to rest. When we moved here I felt so much closer to him because Daddy loved the desert so much. A couple of months ago I created a special cactus bowl just for my Dad and put the tiger's eye from one of his favorite bolo ties beside the cactus. It wasn't the way I wanted but it was as close as I could come to bringing my Daddy back home and laying him to rest where his heart had always been.

When Neecy called tonight I was surprised to hear that my brother was in town and had called her daughter and asked to see her. She went and he gave her a small container of my Dad's ashes and a picture of him and asked her to get them to me. I'm still breaking down every time I think of it because at last, I'll have that little part of my dad and be able to scatter part of his ashes out here in the desert where he loved it so much. I'm going to get one of those memorial necklaces for part of them so I can keep him close to my heart. I'm still in shock right now but it feels so right that finally, my Dad is coming home to me. I wish that it had been when he was still alive because I would have taken care of him.........I begged to be allowed to take care of him but my mother insisted that they had to be with David, not me. So I never dreamed that I'd have a chance to properly lay my Daddy to rest or that I'd have a part of him with me. And I'm choking up so much that I don't even know what I'm typing but I had to share this with you guys as well. This means so much to me. I don't even have the words but if you've ever lost a beloved parent, you can imagine how it feels to finally be able to pay them the respect of laying them to rest properly in a way and a place where they wanted to be. Having a part of him with me means the most. I was such a Daddy's girl. He was the only person in my life who ever loved me unconditionally and understood me. He was my friend as well as my father. Later on when I can think more clearly I'll decide where to scatter his ashes and how to do it the way he wanted. I know the bible verses and songs he wanted to have sung and I'll try to do justice by him that way.

• Like 5

Deb, that's a lot of drama. I have dealt with pia doctors but fortunately my main doctors are really good.

I hope you find a better one quickly who will listen to you.

Good for you to have some closure with your dad. It is one more thing that can be put to rest and out of your mind. I know you will do something very special for him.

• Like 1

Oh Deb, I just have tears in my eyes right now reading your posts. I'm so sorry, dear friend; "smart" people can be so arrogant and idiotic. I'm going to say that he just didn't want to deal with anyone who wasn't an easy fix, but why he couldn't he just be polite? :hug: :hug: :hug:

Oh Deb, I'm so sorry you had to have this young idiot inflicted on you! I have learned that alot of people act arrogant and rude when they are actually afraid and don't know what to do. Surgery? Ha! Probably need a new watch.....My current doctor is under 30 too...looking for a new one closer to my own age.

So glad that you will have a small part of your father at last. Please know that I am praying for you dear friend.

I've been up all night, mainly too emotionally worn out to sleep. I've entertained all kinds of images of slamming that jerk's hands in a car door and all sorts of things to get past the anger but mostly I'm too tired to move so I'm gonna just hang out in bed or on the patio today. I need to call the osteo's office in a little bit and start the machine rolling for yet another new doctor, but I'm having a hard time getting motivated to even do that so perhaps a quiet morning of rest is what I need the most today.

You know those Grabbit tool thingies that you can use to take things down from tall shelves? They work reeeeeeeeeally well to pick up gigantic lizards and relocate them from the garage to the grassy knoll across the street. Not that I did it coz that thing was over a foot long and mean looking. <shaking head violently> This is why I have a husband. LOL! "Oh honey! Would you get the lizard grabber and take this thing outside for me?" hehehehehehe Actually Bruce saw it first and when it wouldn't go voluntarily, he got creative and used the Grabbit. I wanna see that added to the list of things you can use them for in the TV commercials.

• Like 5

Back from a run to Menards and Lowes, where I scored some more perennials. Put them in a shady spot and watered them well, then came inside and collapsed. Temp is 93 and humidity about the same, a taste of New Orleans weather to remind me why we're in Missouri in the summer. Temp should drop almost 10 degrees tomorrow, so I can prep the beds where these will go (dig out the weeds/grass, break up clods with the hoe, spread a layer of compost/cow manure and a layer of top soil and water well). They can probably go in the ground on Friday, as Thursday Lloyd has appointments at the VA in Columbia, which shoots most of the day, and the bed will probably be too muddy to plant.

• Like 1

Trying to get in shape for my trip to France next month. Besides going to Yoga twice a week, I've been sneaking into the town's only nine story building and climbing the stairs for my cardio workout. In Florida we do not have many 2 story houses so climbing stairs is not part of anyone's routine. Since I just recently quit smoking (3 months) and am 6 months from 60 years old, I'm pleased that I can at least make it to 5 floors before I get winded. I just rest for a minute and keep going. It's starting to get easier. Anyway, The Tour de France this Thursday on NBCSN will be located in the area of France that I will be visiting. If you get a chance, try to watch it, very pretty countryside.

• Like 1

Hey Sable will you be close to this??

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chateau-de-Gudanes/207732922690585

I have been following this on Facebook and they just mentioned that The Tour de France usually goes right past them but this yr has been re routed.

I hope you share all your travel adventures ...sounds like a good time!

I am trying to stay cool...the temps are climbing...when it stats hovering around 110 and over...humidity or not it HOT!!

the Glorified wading pool isnt cool enough for the kids to venture out...

ooooooooooo no way will you be so close!!!???!!

I can only imagine that being so close your sister shares in the same type of views...ENJOY!

Jaxon had his daddy remove his training wheels and he almost got going...it was so close they both did the jumpin up and down thing

but with temps climbing to the 110 range we didnt stay out long...both kids super excited about bike fest in Oct...me and my friend Vannessa went last yr and are taking the kids this yr....the close down Mill Ave in Tempe for bike traffic only have a huge parade and big party!! Pixie is already working on a design to turn her bike into a My little Pony representation...hope Jax has the bike thing down by then.

still waiting for my hubby to come home with his big rig...he has been gone almost 6 weeks and we miss him!

Aw, Deb, it just doesn't seem fair. I'm with Kathie about sending a complaint to the state licensing board.

We are on our way back from the visit and celebration of DH's mom's 90th birthday. We got to hug on and visit with some of my favorites of DH's many cousins (his mom was the baby of her daddy's two dozen children) who came, and we got to visit via Skype with the one who wound up in the hospital at the last possible minutes. DH's baby sister showed up with her daughters, grand daughter, grandson and greatgranddaughter. We had brought The Kid and DS#2 had brought his wife and flown in from DC to introduce her to his grandmother. She let us take her out to dinner Monday evening.

On our way back yesterday we had gotten almost to the halfway point to Tallahassee when a tire literally shredded on the camper and we pulled off the road to take a look and for DH to call the roadside assistance people to get help. Once the local guy got our info it was easy to tell him where we were, as we were slap in front of Dixie Monuments and they have a ginormous purple rooster out front! (they manufacture tombstones, but they also sell a lot of yard art). Anyway, the second tire next to the raggedy one was also imminent, so we had to go back to Old Town to get a second tire so we could proceed on our way. fortunately the campground we used to stay in near Cross City was still in business and we found a shady pull through spot that after breakfast we can cust take up the jacks, slide in the slideout and take off.

Good news! After a diagnostic mammo and a ultrasound, I was given a big fat negative for any breast anomalies. I have really dense tissue. The left side actually has a large ridge of it that the other side doesnt (that is why the ultrasound).

Phew! Decompressed. Back to business as usual. I have a stinky trash can to hose out today. Yee Haw.

• Like 6

Good news! After a diagnostic mammo and a ultrasound, I was given a big fat negative for any breast anomalies. I have really dense tissue. The left side actually has a large ridge of it that the other side doesnt (that is why the ultrasound).

Phew! Decompressed. Back to business as usual. I have a stinky trash can to hose out today. Yee Haw.

Hoooray!!!! Yay!! Woohoooo!!!!!

:ohyeah::pepper::beer: :jump: :wtg: :thumbup: :monkeydance: :congrats::happydance:

• Like 1