Keeping busy

Great topic, I've enjoyed reading through it.

I'm finishing my Italian Courtyard, which I made on a 3 day course, learning about paperclay. It was great fun & so useful for me. We worked like mad, but didn't have time to make the flowers, so I've been doing that.

The tall climber is still bare ... I need some modelling foam, I think.

post-313-1178044506_thumb.jpg

post-313-1178044498_thumb.jpg

Then today I opened my Fantasy Villa :blush:

I'm dry building & hoping to paperclay it like Tracy did. I have a feeling it won't turn out quite so good as hers :)

Oh, yes & I also cut a baseboard, today, for my Aster cottage & have planned the layout of the garden.

I think that's enough to be getting on with!

Jackie

Beooootiful! I can smell the vineyards and hear the gondaleers!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

What a great question to ask. I am working on my very very modified van Buren (so far I have only used the floors from the kit but plan on using the attic/roof parts). I am multitasking - working on the staircase - almost ready to make the banister setup, making ceilings with molding and pictures inserted, wallpapering, making door pediments, making floors, tried my hand at sculpting dolls (first face is very crabby looking, have to work on this a lot), and making a huge mess in my basement workshop, since I am using all my toys at once!

For the doll, I took apart a cheap porcelain doll from the $ Store, made new arms and legs from FIMO and a new head/neck (FIMO too) and will put it back together but not able to move parts - will glue in poses. The torso is fine from the doll but I did add some cleavage to it. I am going to try using real clay, since I have experience with it and it doesnt need to be cooked. I need to work on making a pretty face since my Georgian theme is "cocktails at 8" a'la 1930's so I thought some people in dinner dress with drinks would be fun to add. I have not been interested in dolls until now. I think the crabby faced doll will end up being the cook in the basement kitchen! (I got one of those English dollhouse basements with a best offer on ebay and it was a very good deal so i dont have to make one but will see how they are done for future DIY reference).

The weather has been iffy and I have been almost sick for several days, so playing is what I feel like doing - laundry and dirty house can wait. I did have a marathon cooking binge so I dont have to think about it for days.

Sorry for being so long winded.

Best regards, Alyce

Great topic, I've enjoyed reading through it.

I'm finishing my Italian Courtyard, which I made on a 3 day course, learning about paperclay. It was great fun & so useful for me. We worked like mad, but didn't have time to make the flowers, so I've been doing that.

The tall climber is still bare ... I need some modelling foam, I think.

Jackie

Totally wonderful Jackie, very impressive.

Kat

I loaded the latest roll of pictures for "dressing Maggie" and the outside is done except for landscaping (some day): med_gallery_8_988_41339.jpg

and the inside is ready forwindow tretments, accessories & FURNITURE! I made a set of bunkbeds: med_gallery_8_988_98948.jpg

I was working on the Lily which is almost finished and then I got an Orchid at Hobby Lobby for 40% off and I work on that off and on. It's so much smaller I can just put it aside when I want to work on something else. Now I'm working on the Pierce. I've moved the bathroom wall to the left, opening up the second floor landing. Then I cut off about 3/4 inch on the edge of the left bedroom. Now there is room to go to the bathroom without falling off the edge. I cut an oval window in the bathroom and now the landing has lots of windows and there is also room for a small bookcase or table. I'll put railing and all around the stairs. The bedroom on the right has the tower windows. Haven't decided about the attic. I changed the direction of the opening for the attic stairs so will either make stairs to fit or make faux pull-down stairs. I have pretty much decided to do the house a dairly dark blue with off white window and gingerbread trim and wine color porch trellis and front door. It looks better than it sounds. With a flag on the porch it will just go with my living room colors. The inside decor of the Pierce will be about the 1920's or 30's.

Pat ... time to start a new album for your Pierce. Would love to see how you moved the bathroom/bedroom around. It sounds like a good idea!

jackie, that courtyard is so lovely!!

havana, oooo! maggie looks smashing!

unexciting doings, here. i'm getting dgd's tiffani rehab rolling so that it is ready to wire and, floor and paper.

that involves removing the hot glue globs :birthday: from the walls, floors, ceilings, etc., and also off the roof and trim. there is an oversized clock glued to the kitchen wall and i'm considering using a chisel on that ... LOL. it's a nice clock but it's in the way of the stove.

one window is missing its glass (plastic), so i'm mulling abt just replacing all of the windows and have gotten the material for that. the stairs are turned the wrong way (at least, they seem wrong to me) so i'm going to take them out and either re-situate them or replace them, and got some stairs for replacement if that's needed.

Jackie, your italian courtyard is gorgeous! I had to go pour a glass of wine and put on a Dean Martin cd just to look at it.

I'm still working on the Willowcrest. I've been putting a lot more detail work into this house so it's taken longer than I usually do to build a house. Of course, I stopped to build the Magnolia in between and it was quite a time warp going from early 1800's to ultra modern and back again! :birthday: I kinda liked the drastic switch in styles....it was refreshing to go from one to the other like that.

The Willowcrest has been quite the diva and VERY determined about what she wants to be, and she demands that it must be exactly, meticulously perfect in every detail. I think I spend 4 days just finding the perfect paintings to shrink and frame......spent three hours going thru my textile stash looking for just the perfect "ox blood" velvet rope to use for the spiral staircase........two days hand dying the lace valances with teeny little tassles on the pull ropes. <grinning> And I'm loving every second of it because she's such a great house. As long as I'm doing what she wants, she's very cooperative about the build. I got the mansard roof on in less than an hour and all the edges fit perfectly. <happy dancing> But I'm ready to start on the exterior detailing now so it won't be long before she's done.

Deb

I just started building my first house The Garfield.

You can follow my progrees on my website. I've made a Dutch and an English version, just for the people from the forum!

I have finished my pond! Yeah!!

I have the base for my tree drying not sure how it is going to look, I have borrowed the idea from

Peggi (THANKS :whistle:)

I need to dig through some stuff and find some more of my birdhouses..

Also I have been making toys for another swap I am in and trying to get them finished..

Hopfully I can't most of this stuff done tonight, I am iching to get started on a house..

Might have two or three projects going on by the end of the weekend hehehe

Hey Everyone! I have been ATTEMPTING to make a Wisteria using my flower methods! So far I have not had any luck....going to keep working on them until I get one finished! LOL...

I finally painted my robins roost and the interior of my storybook cottage. The pictures are in my gallery. I put the roof on the storybook as well, but haven't taken pictures. My next thing will be to paperclay the outside. It will be my first time using paperclay so we will see how I do. I figured this would be practice for when I really want to use it since I'm planning on displaying the storybook so you can see the inside (a quilt shop) and don't really care about the outside. I've also decided I'm going to make a wood square floor on the bottom level with some of the squares done as quilt designs.

Jackie I LOVE your Courtyard!!! I took a Rik Pierce class with Sue about 3 years ago (It was her first) and she is so Kind and Funny. We sat next to each other at the table. I would love to learn how to do her cold porcelain flowers!!

Holly, I LOVE your Magnolia! It has turned out splendid once again!!!!

I was not sure if it needed more or not.
It depends. Around here the wisteria have been at it for a while, so they are drooling over the other trees with lots of limbs full of little purple flowers. I have see newly established vines with not nearly as many flowers as yours, so I'd say you're off to a good start!