Keeping busy

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sanding and priming, priming and sanding... (Window trim-- alot-- for Pierce...) Almost done sanding trim, then need to sand down primed wall pieces, and paint trim, then sand down base, then prime base, then sand down some more, then... (I think I am caught in a loop!)

Quilt 'N Bee Happy

oooo I like that one! Holly you are soo good at the naming!

btw! I love how the the quiltshop is comming along!

you are doing a supurb job on it!

nutti :starwars:

Well I have finally finished playing with dolls for another bit, my former Romans are now dressed for the "Cracker Shack" (still need to make them new children, but that's for another sculpting session) and the Smalls' new son & daughter are finished and safely ensconced in the collective family bosom.

I have also completed the three last doll commissions, so Mel's Magnolia, Ellen's Orchid and Nutti's Houseboat Named Desire (or whatever) are ready to be occupied.

Today I'm making the French door curtains for Maggie and maybe some more books for all those bookcases. I also have floss & fabric set aside to make pillows for the windowseat and maybe a rug for the floor of the livingroom. I'm still thinking about what I'll do with the master bedroom. I think I'll try Peggi's template idea to make a tile base & backing for the little potbelly stove I put there.

Yesterday we went on another short hike along the Aucilla River in Taylor County with FTA friends & then over to the home of one of them for an al fresco lunch. We saw a gar in the river, as well as shoals & shoals of catfish (YUM!). We offered to swap Lee our house in the woods for his house on the river, but he didn't seem to think uch of the offer. When we got home we found several ticks, they were all little & very red, some with a grayish spot on the back. I don't remember seeing any like them before, only one had tried to take hold, on DH, and pulled right off. They were unusually tough to squish, too; the black ones & brown ones pop nicely between fingernails but we had to literally nail these with the edge of the nail! to kill them.

Holly - what's a gar?
A very long, skinny, ancient fish. There were gar, then sturgeons, then salmon. There are different species of gar, this one didn't have the elongated snout..

When we lived in Texas a lonnnnng time ago we went fishing in a lake and caught alligator gars! UGLY Ugly fish, it had a long nose like an alligator and lots and lots of pointy sharp teeth....glad one never caught me! lol

I have been working on my Georgian - windows (20 to paint both sides, different colors) and fussing with furniture layouts and window treatments and architectural accents. Still havent decided on the color of the living room thinking very pale purple for some reason with striations to look like watered silk - I might do it on white card stock and then glue it in. But who knows what I will end up with....so many choices. Have to wire the second floor and design a third floor. It is getting very tall, since it has a basement and I raised the ceilings on the first and second to 10 1/2 inches. Went a bit nuts buying accessories for the kitchen and some other things so have turned off ebay for a while so I am not tempted. The kitchen is huge in the basement and it is fun to have so much room to work with. Made a refrig but not entirely happy with my first try. Might try again.

A number of my furniture rejects (ooops) have sold at my co-op center booth so perhaps I am finding some dh customers. Still havent sold the assembled Primrose or the inbox Coventry and Layfayette. I have a Pioneer Cabin to take to the "store" and hope someone will buy it since I will never get to it. The inbox Lily is for me after the Art Deco (next project).

My mom is still in the hospital and not doing very well so I visit everyday. She is 88 so her condition is very fragile. Her cat is getting used to my house and is kindof cute when she isnt hiding someplace.

Have fun and hope all is well.....alyce

Alyce, I'm sorry to hear your mother is ill. Will keep you and her in my prayers.

I'm slowly but surely making progress on the Magnolia, the kitchen and living room are completed, the chimney is stoned and attached. The wallpaper templates have been made and wallpaper attached for the bathroom and bedroom. Oh and I made a fireplace for it. Will update the building blog tomorrow when I have more time.

I spent yesterday sealing the upstairs floors on Maggie after the rubber cement decided to quit holding. While I was at it I spackled all the inside seams where the roof that fit PERFECTLY during the dry-fit decided not to when I installed it. I also made a bricked floor & backguard for the pot-bellied stove to go in the master bedroom.

Today I'm going through all the boxes of stash and the bags of NEW stash and trying to stow & organize (mwahahaha!) as well as to FIND some supplies I need to decorate Maggie's outside. I ran across a mini granny-square afghan & pillow set I'd crocheted LONG ago that will work nicely for the double bed, so on my next "break" I'll be off to sew up the pillow openings and put them on the bed.

Y'all may know that one of the thriftstore magnets for me is craft supplies and I ran across a big bag of embroidery floss that had some of the colors in the upholstery scraps I used on the windowseat, so I have been happily making wee bargello pillows for said windowseat whilst watching my labor & delivery shows on the Discovery Health Channel. (What can I say? L&D was my favorite clinical rotation in nursing school, because we had such happy outcomes!)

All of this good do-bee stuff is so DH will help me move Maggie downstairs and let me get PPP/ Poor Pitiful Pearl up to the workroom.

Did I mention I think I'm finished with Grayson's sampler?

Alyce, I am sorry to her about your mom. I will keep your family in my thoughts.

I haven't been working on much except my robins roost. I didn't find the kind of light I wanted locally, but I did find some battery operated tea lights at the dollar store. I bought three, but now think I need four. I need to apply sealer. Not to sure if I am going to use the eggs that I found, I probably will. And I need to sew up a bird to go in it. I am working again so I am trying to pace myself and not get overwhelmed with everything. Its graveyard. On my days off I get a few hours to work on my stuff with no interruptions. I need to scoot off to be sometime soon.

Here's {{{BIG HUGS}}} for you & Darrell, Melissa. When it's all over maybe y'all can take a couple of days off and go sit out under the redwoods and listen to the wind through the branches.

Hi all,

I am working on the details of a fireplace I made by casting a picture frame in plaster of Paris - it is such a cute frame and I didnt want to wreck it, so I made a silicon mold and then cast it. I can use it again with variations, since PofP can be carved. Also working on window pediments and playing with furniture to get layout ideas. I decided to paper the living room in navy blue but since there are 4 windows in each room, two are very long, there is lots of "white space" to balance out the dark navy. I think I am avoiding doing the wiring on the second floor and building the third floor! I am also finishing up the ceiling for the living room that I made using a picture from a yard sale art book and a picture frame mat.

Hope you are all having a good weekend.....alyce

I finished dressing the thrift store doll I got last year and will post picture when the roll gets processed. I got PPP disassembled & all the tile & trim removed and today going to the hardware store for 1/4" square doweling I then get out my Dremel sander and start some serious prep.

The latest model I made for the Mote Marine Laboratory was of a device known as the Sea Glider. It is being used by Mote for research into the organisms that cause the disturbing phenomenom known locally as "Red Tide." Since the actual device is too cumbersome to carry around easily, they wanted a smaller model to carry to educational presentations to show, especially to fishermen, the device which may surface near a boat to transmit its information back to the base station at Mote. They wanted everyone to know it was not a terrorist weapon or an alien space ship.

post-560-1182717720_thumb.jpgpost-560-1182717777_thumb.jpg

The model is 1/3 scale (those are 18" tiles it is sitting on). The hardest parts were the ogives at the nose and the tail since I don't have a lathe. They had to be hacked and hewed by hand. The logos on the sides were down loaded from the internet and the lettering was done on Announcements software. They were printed and installed as decals. Since they mentioned that the wings were often broken during handling of the real item, I made them a replacement set of wings and designed a quick removal attachement for the model.

They seem to be happy with it. They paid for the materials and I volunteered the time.

Now that I've begun to prime the pieces I'm liking PPP much better all the time! I finished off the roll with some of the "before" pictures as well as the quilts for Maggie's beds, so ASA I get it processed I'll have more pictures to post. I think I'll also open up a Poor Pitiful Pearl post in the Corona Concepts subforum.