Keeping busy

Hi all. I finally got my mother moved (finished unloading the van at 2:00am) so back to minis when I clean up the move details (my car is stuffed with stuff of hers). I got some good stuf from ebay including an Orleans fireplace at half price! a little chair, a sofa, some dinnerware, some unusual kitchen cabinets and whatever. I am going to work outside in the shade and wire some non electric chandeliers I got at auction and try to wire some petite princess floor candleabras (they are so cool and 6 inches high including the shades - of course I went nuts and now have 6 of them). I am also going to make some dolls from clay while I sit outside. I made them, and smush them until I get a head I like (which isnt often). Hope you are all well. I recharged my camera so I will take some pictures and post of my georgian in progress and some things I have been working on. DH is tired of oooohing and aaaaahing. Alyce

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I made a Native American doll for a member and replaced the Small children whol the mice killed last summer. They are all nekkid as jaybirds at the moment, but it's OK because it has been in the low 90s lately.

For the past few days I've been busy with some stonework on the front of my Gloucester. I'm really enjoying this work. Here is a picture of what I've got done so far but there are still the sides and top part yet to do. It certainly isn't a job you can rush through.

Today I made a Native American doll for a member and replaced the Small children whol the mice killed last summer. They are all nekkid as jaybirds at the moment, but it's OK because it has been in the low 90s lately.

Mice killed the little people!!!!!????? :banana::banana: TRAGIC. Can you fill me in on this? Did they gnaw on them?

And Melissa I love to see reupholstering. I've not got up the courage to do that yet. Is it tedious?

Re reupholstering, I am working on two Bespaq chairs I didnt like the fabric. I am using goat kidskin evening elbow length gloves for the covering. I got them for less than a $1.00 at a yard sale and then bought another pair for $6 at a thrift store. the kidskin is very thin and soft....just a hint if you want the leather look. My gloves are white but I am sure they come is many colors. A very high end dollshop owner here in NJ recovers bespaq all the time. He said if you put them in the microwave for about 10 seconds, the glue melts and they just come apart. Unfortunately,most of the pieces I get in the mail already have a leg or something that has broken off, so I have to reglue.

A very high end dollshop owner here in NJ recovers bespaq all the time. He said if you put them in the microwave for about 10 seconds, the glue melts and they just come apart. Unfortunately,most of the pieces I get in the mail already have a leg or something that has broken off, so I have to reglue.

Do they (Bespaq) have the cardstock backing technique like the house of miniatures upholstered kits? And are you able to remove the excess glue for a clean join when you reglue? I have often seen good deals on Bespaq with less attractive fabric. Oh and I've also heard old glove leather is great for leather doll shoes and waders.

Just the children, for some strange reason they savaged their faces beyong belief. The baby's one little clenched fist has a suspiscious look, but I'd have to use the loupe to be sure, so don't think it's a problem.

The replacements have turned out far better and I'm dressing them today.

Do they (Bespaq) have the cardstock backing technique like the house of miniatures upholstered kits?

The chairs I am doing have cardstock sides and the bottom cushion is easy to get the fabric off..or you can just cover over it. There is no glue residue on what I am doing. So, it is like HOM pretty much. As you say, if you see something for a good price but the fabric is yukky, you have a good chance of redoing it. You can cut new card stock using the original as a pattern and same with custions. You can also use a hairdryer to unglue it. Good luck.....alyce

Just the children, for some strange reason they savaged their faces beyong belief. The baby's one little clenched fist has a suspiscious look, but I'd have to use the loupe to be sure, so don't think it's a problem.

The replacements have turned out far better and I'm dressing them today.

So, there will be pictures in the gallery ..... soon ......??

:groucho:

-Susanne

img-resized.png Reduced: 80% of original size [ 640 x 309 ] - Click to view full image

IMGP0828.jpg

She's all packed and ready to move in, too bad the house has a way to go. If she expects furniture

ooooo very intriguing

cant wait to see more

nutti :groucho:

btw she is a cutie!