What's everyone working on?

well my paperclay is on hold...all 3 packs I have are too old and no good...bummers

until I remembered I had a smaller puzzle house and been helping Pixie complete it!

very satisfying since I couldnt do my own thing...still havent found those dishes...seriously only so many places they could be could be :batman:

will be back in the workroom later as I am now fixated on my OWN hutch :banana:

• Like 2

Cheverly,that's another great bonus of the Forum-we learn lots of new words here! At least I have,and since I love words it really is a bonus to me-especially the intriguing ones Holly comes up with for us! ;) Keeps the old brain (My 'old' one,I mean!) clicking!

• Like 1

well my paperclay is on hold...all 3 packs I have are too old and no good...bummers

Can you crumble up old paperclay and put it in a jar with a tad of water for moisture and soften it back up again? I guess I'm thinking if it is truly "paper" clay, it should soften again. You can do that with real clay products. Just thinking out loud .... probably wrong but it's a thought.

Hazel,I know what you mean about indecisiveness,but Holly and some others here will tell you-just listen close and the house will decide for you what it wants-honestly! Looking forward to what comes about!:)

I have been changing my mind and my paper from one room to the next. I did the downstairs and discovered the paper I had chosen for the upstairs would make much better kitchen paper..........and then again........

• Like 1

I've been preparing 35 project kits for my Boca Raton mini group for Wed ( tomorrow). I'm teaching the club how to "Tuft". Wish me luck.

Also, wanted to thank holly for the tip on using sandpaper to sharpen scissors. Came in very handy for this project as ALL of my scissors were gooped up from 5 builds.

• Like 3

I discovered the sandpaper trick from cutting all those sheets of sandpaper into bricks for the pub! More years ago than I bare to admit to I read an article about sharpening scissors by "cutting" along the edge of a glass. so before I reused clean jelly or mayo jars I'd use them on every pair of scissors in the house.

That's a good tip about the scissors, Holly, and one I'll have to put into practice before my scissors start sabotaging me.

This past weekend I found some wood flooring at Hobby Lobby as well as baseboards, though they were out of trim. The flooring isn't going to be long enough to cover the whole floor, so I'll have to figure out how best to apply it without showing the telltale seam where I'll join it to another flooring kit. I'll have to stagger the floorboards a bit. And I've finally decided on my exterior paint and trim colors. Slow but sure progress.

Can you crumble up old paperclay and put it in a jar with a tad of water for moisture and soften it back up again? I guess I'm thinking if it is truly "paper" clay, it should soften again. You can do that with real clay products. Just thinking out loud .... probably wrong but it's a thought.

I have no idea...I havent tossed it yet....so if anyone cares to weigh in on this Id be happy to hear suggestions... for now its on hold and back to the hutches..

I have no idea...I havent tossed it yet....so if anyone cares to weigh in on this Id be happy to hear suggestions... for now its on hold and back to the hutches..

What do you have to lose? I'd dampen it with water, close it up in a plastic bag for a few days and see what transpires.

• Like 1

What do you have to lose? I'd dampen it with water, close it up in a plastic bag for a few days and see what transpires.

At the very least it might turn into a nifty science experiment. I thought paperclay was one of those things that could be rewet and keep on going.

My puzzle house is almost all decorated, but I'm stalling. I think I'll look for some scrapbooking picture frames--fashioning frames from toothpicks is too tedious for me. Last night I dry fit my tiny Orchid from the Corona Concepts village. I am bashing it to have an open back. The back wall became the second floor, and the scrap cut from the back roof is the downstairs partition. I'm considering picking up a pack of paper clay to use for the roof. Off to look for tutorials!

Edited by mellifera

Hazel,I know what you mean about indecisiveness,but Holly and some others here will tell you-just listen close and the house will decide for you what it wants-honestly! Looking forward to what comes about! :)

Well, the house has been very quiet... XD

• Like 1

I took my micro house with me to work on during the evenings on my last out-of-town work trip - but, alas, I didn't get anything done :( I've had a real blockage because the next thing to do is to hook up the lights. After all the time, and kicking around, that poor little house has had, I was so afraid I had damaged the lights - and I was very afraid to try to connect them all. So I just dove in this afternoon and tried it - SURPRISE!! :banana: THEY WORK!! :pepper:

Still have a good bit of work to do on the house, and my mini-time that I thought I had has been drastically cut, but now I feel like I can move forward more quickly.

Forgot to put a penny in the picture - this is a 1:144 scale house.
Edited by CheckMouse
  • Like 1

CheckMouse...where did the lights come from??? I have one of the larger 1/144th scale house to build and tonight I found all of my wallpaper for that scale which is

why I hadnt built it...it also has a stair case and I havent done one with stairs before....

also found a few kits I had purchased here and there and so I started one...it has to DRY(of course) to move onto step 2....

have 5 hutches on my table with stuffs on each...no spatterware plates..just pots...BUT I did find all of the blue items I have collected over the yrs...tea set

dutch mill plate and vase....going to do some sanding on the sponge painted one and it will be for those items or a blue Christmas...sigh...so many choices

good thing i have SOOOOO many hutches lol

going to be making some of the skull candlesticks Ive made before...and I played with a few other spooky items...getting ready to dig out my glow in the dark clay and make some eye balls and pouring potions....kids and I are setting up a Halloween display and than turn it to a Christmas one LOL....

I think I had some sort of awakening tonight when my easy cutter made that most satisfying SNAP on the wood I was cutting ...SIGH....I have so many things I want to do and no direction to follow...for now I will continue to pull out all my stuff make a huge mess and have to spend more time re cleaning it....

Im not willing to start another house just yet...I have my half scale Dianna who refuses to let me finish her....and Catriona's Marquahm Hill Mansion to complete....it has some wiring but I am going to rip it all out and just do the hard wire as I find lights to go into it....I think I will enjoy working on it again if I am not worrying about the wiring....I have all the wall paper for it but the flooring stops me because I want to do something kewl and I just dont know WHAT!!!

so hutches it is!.... :bear:

• Like 2

So I just dove in this afternoon and tried it - SURPRISE!! :banana: THEY WORK!! :pepper:

Yay!! Congratulations! That must feel so good. I'm continually amazed by the detailed amount of work you guys do in such eensy scales. It looks fabulous!

CheckMouse...where did the lights come from??? I have one of the larger 1/144th scale house to build and tonight I found all of my wallpaper for that scale which is

why I hadnt built it...it also has a stair case and I havent done one with stairs before....

I get my LED micro lights from Evans Designs, www.modeltrainsoftware.com Very reasonably priced, excellent product and excellent service. Is that a Templewood Miniatures kit that you have? He's the only one I've seen so far that puts stairways in his micro houses.

I have the Gingerbread Mansion from NorthEastern....the stairs go up to a landing and make a turn and go up again...the whole staircase has its own directions in the kit(sigh)

I have had it out to do but it is such a nice house it didnt seem right to put it together with no wall paper and such...so I put it away...wont be long till Im ready to dig into it again...YAY...and lights would just be the icing!

Holly you are a mad woman...houses from hutches NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....I have to many ideas with all the stuff I have collected over the yrs to add in HOUSES...lol....but I suppose a little dollhouse girl who cant have a real dollhouse would love a hutch dedicated to her dolls!! SIGH!!

The Dianna does not like her trim color of sage green....the me in me wants it to be PURPLE or BLUE hahahahahaha...she still likes being pink....she is this close to done but it aint happening unless the trim cooperates...I just wanted a lil shabby chic cottage to love....

also am pulling the Arthur back into the studio for a major cleanup and to finish the diningroom...it needs a primrose for the kitchen....always something! :blahblah1:

Happy crafting! :batman:

I got to use some of the new millwork to make new doorframes; I decided to use the plain ones for the interior doors. I found some of my mini hardware so my windows now have handles and the exterior doors have begun to get knobs.

I also have a stash of hutches to bash into cabinets and cupboards; if I saved that article and can find it I think I'll have to make a house for one of my little girl children.

• Like 1