What's everyone working on?

I really want to do a church, I found this one online:

http://www.craft-products.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DHW48

And these people who have made a lot of my stuff make wonderful furnishing for 1:24 churches:

http://www.herdwicklandscapes.co.uk/html/church.htm

We often tour the country churches round here on the South Downs National Park because they are so beautiful and there is a tiny chapel down the road from us which only holds enough seats for 20 people, I'm going to use it as inspiration.

It is called lullington church.

A church is a wonderful idea. Overall, we don't see that many of them in minatures, though, as there are more stores and cottage houses and homes for our imaginary creatures than there are churches; but they are so inspiring.

• Like 1

Did you ever see someone so wishy washy in your life???? :p

Well that's what friends are for, and you have plenty on this site. We all have wishy washy days, so it is always great to be able to think out loud or spell it out.

I finally made it to Michaels for a lovely brick of Model Air; I'd been trying to get there since Monday! I also made a wonderful find...looked in all my local Walmarts for those Plaid brand tile tray some of you have talked about and none of them carry them :( I have three quarter scale houses to do, but haven't wanted to start until I could figure out something to put them on. I hate having to run out for materials in the middle of something, mostly because RL tends to interrupt me so frequently. Michaels had something called a wooden canvas, just like the kind they sell for painting, but made from thin plywood. I think they will work perfectly, and for $2.49 I really couldn't go wrong. So excited to get something going in the mini department of my life, even if it is just shopping :jump1:

This weekend I started working on the half scale Gull Bay "pull apart house" that I bought off eBay a year ago. The house was already assembled and sided when I got it. I painted and cut holes for dormers on the back roof (with a little help from the man of the house).

Here it is with the first coats of paint (a freebie from Ace Hardware named Sunny Lemon) and pictured with the 1:144 version, which I got off eBay separately. The dormers are just taped in for now so it's okay that they're not quite lined up!

post-7-0-75750900-1395036016_thumb.jpg post-7-0-69937500-1395036020_thumb.jpg post-7-0-76184800-1395036026_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Oh Roxy, how annoying, I feel like throwing the whole house away when that happens!

Love gull bay Emily, so cute.

One of the attic walls was smashed during it's 24 years in my attic so I've been painstakingly putting it back together bit by bit, the final layers of woodstain and varnish went on yesterday and you'd never know it had ever been broken. I'm very pleased with it. Also stained and varnished the attic windows in and out and will put them on later. Will probably do some skirting board this evening after work also and put that in and then that's the attic finished. It's going to look like an attic not bedrooms.

Emily, that is so cool that you found a tiny house to match the larger one!

Today at a thrift shop I found a battered 40-year-old wooden candle holder with a crumbling, dried flower arrangement stuck in the middle of it. It is hexagon-shaped cylinder "cage", about 6" tall X 3" wide, with plastic "windows" on all 6 sides that are meant to look like stained glass. I thought...wow, this would make a great aviary for some mini birds! So, for $2 I took it home. It disassembled very easily. The window panels slid right out of the wood frames and the dried flowers are in the trash now. I spent a little while scraping melted candle wax off of the wood. I ordered some fine brass wire mesh to make screens for where the windows used to be. Now I am browsing through mini birds on ebay. Will probably choose a red macaw to live in there. I just now did a little research on macaws to see if two of them could live in there without fighting. Turns out probably not. Oh well, one showy beauty will be enough! :) While I'm waiting for supplies to come in the mail, I'll paint the wood frame and find some interesting shaped twigs for the bird to perch on. I love quick little projects like this that transform "found" items. So fun! Will post a pic later when its finished...

• Like 1

:hmm: Julie, who's to say that two mini macaws couldn't live together? There's a difference between realistic and real life. Nevertheless, sounds like a great project. :)

Julie, my friend Pat has a large cage for macaws on her back patio. Her husband is a bird fancier. They had two macaws for many years. He solved the problem with a divider down the middle of the cage. You could display two that way.

• Like 1

I had a bad head too Roxy, it may have been the full moon.

Painting and varnishing all the fiddly bits of the dollshouse before I can go any further - window frames, trim, roof tiles. It is fiddly and everything has to be painted and varnished twice and left to dry overnight. My hands are a disgrace, all covered in paint and varnish and I work in the health service here (podiatrist), not sure what my patients will think.

Thank goodness for artists matt varnish. I had an adventure with yacht varnish which didn't work out that well, too heavy for a dollshouse.

Tomorow I'll be finishing the skirting board and getting started on the coving for each room. So much to do so little time.

I had a bad head too Roxy, it may have been the full moon.

I had a sudden vision of a werewolf sitting at a table painting window frames very delicately with a long paintbrush :D That may have to figure in one of my dollshouses somewhere along the line!!!

• Like 1

Oh, are you making this for someone and you're on a deadline?

No, it's for me but what with a full time job and the demands of a family and various other things I do there is so little time. I could quite happily do just this for 12 hours a day.

• Like 2

I didn't get a lot f mini-ing done today, but I did put a couple more restorations on my blog. This time a couple of the Gottschalks. Back to work on Daisy Eulalia's cottage tomorrow.

Working on the A-frame play scale house this week....painting the windows and shutters during my lunch break. I have been doing 1" scale all of these years, so this is my first endeavor in play scale: when the package arrived yesterday I was actually kinda shocked at how big the windows were! LOL

• Like 1

I am working on the roof to the cupola. About ready to shingle. I also ordered some railings for the front entrance. Selkie, your comment about the residents tumbling kept visually springing to mind!!! I do chuckle when I think about it. Also ordered some roof trim.

After looking at my Orchid in dry-fit for a few weeks, my interest has been rekindled. :) My mom, my kids, and I went to the local Hobby Lobby grand opening yesterday, and my 6 y/o was fascinated by the dollhouses. He decided that he needs to build one, and furnish it with rustic furniture, fishing poles, and hunting rifles. Maybe it will be a mini possum lodge? :D So we headed over the Michaels, and we picked out the puzzle house with the veranda for him, and the one that looks like a castle for me. I punched out, sanded, and dry fit the veranda house last night, and today P is excited to paint.

• Like 1