What's everyone working on?

LOL Sarah, did you have a Captain Jack Sparrow too?

Lyssa, tell your son I'm so pleased he likes my pirate chest, he's got great taste. Now you know what your next project is Lyssa.

made a little progress that last two days.. starting building the lower cabinets, fit the sink and painted the kitchen. i was able to upload pics in the gallery!

still working on the kitchen curtains, i'm going to finish up the valance for the windows this weekend. i'd like to get the stove and cabinets finished this weekend.

once i finish the kitchen i'll get working on the living room. going to try to finish the first floor before moving up to the second..

happy creating, All!! thumb_yello.gif

Jo, I would have loved that, but alas he had a hair appointment :giggle:

Lyssa, I thought I would be immune since I have boys, but my younger son wants to move my house in to his room so Buzz Lightyear has a place to live lol

Got one of my orders, so I can finish the kitchen furniture.

DS#2 is our professional techie, but not only does he live in VA, he speaks Geek so fluently he can't show or teach us how to do things, he just flies those talented fingers of his over the keyboard and it's done! aand we still have no idea what he did.

Here you go: http://sdk.miniature.net/

You are either going to love me or hate me for this. lol

I just bought the French Collection. I want to start on it this weekend.

Oh, yes, Kathryn, you are very bad! :nono: You are definitely an enabler! :wacko: I have never seen that site, in all my web-prowling! Thanks for sharing it; such beautiful little pieces. I wish they gave a little more description though! So much temptation! sigh!

:whistle: Got sidetracked and forgot why I came to this thread!

The Little Country Church is coming along. I found a pattern for Tudor benches that I should be able to adapt to make pews. Hmm, wonder if I should try putting people in the pews ... which would lead to purses on the pew and Bibles in their laps. I think I'd better quit!

post-4286-0-73587500-1308961712_thumb.jp

I managed to get my table painted today in spite of bad weather :banana: I slipped out and spray-painted in between showers :giggle:

I've got almost all the trim on the back of the house done..waiting for glue to dry before finishing. My bathroom floor is coming tomorrow; once it gets here I can install and then fit the additions to the house. I'm not going to permanently attach them, but hopefully they will look like they are when I'm finished.

Off to check my glue. :)

Oh, yes, Kathryn, you are very bad! :nono: You are definitely an enabler! :wacko: I have never seen that site, in all my web-prowling! Thanks for sharing it; such beautiful little pieces. I wish they gave a little more description though! So much temptation! sigh!

Oh good, you found the link. I was just about to pm you to see if you saw my post. You know, Susan is very nice, and I bet she would be happy to answer any questions you have. I've built the Casita when it was still made by Anita McNary, it went together like a dream. If you are curious about the French Collection, I can give you my 2 cents if you want. (For everything you get, definitely worth the money)

I like that she has furniture. I like the metal pieces you can get from HBS, but it is nice to have a choice when you don't feel like building everything from scratch.

Oh good, you found the link. I was just about to pm you to see if you saw my post. You know, Susan is very nice, and I bet she would be happy to answer any questions you have. I've built the Casita when it was still made by Anita McNary, it went together like a dream. If you are curious about the French Collection, I can give you my 2 cents if you want. (For everything you get, definitely worth the money)

I like that she has furniture. I like the metal pieces you can get from HBS, but it is nice to have a choice when you don't feel like building everything from scratch.

I really want that Swan Pub in the English collection. What a masterpiece! :yikes:

I'm not sure how its happening, but all of the photos I've taken with my camera are less than 2 MB - until I try to upload them to my gallery. Somehow they balloon to 25 - 26 MB, so they won't upload. Otherwise I have some great shots of the finished Tudor kitchen. I just can't post them here. I may have to post a link to my Flickr account. They can be found there.

My first attempt at making curtains didn't turn out so well. The cloth has frayed edges from getting cut, but I can't seal the edges from fraying even further after installation. I tried folding the edges over and glueing them together, but the glue won't bond with the cloth. I don't have a sewing machine and doubt it will work for this scale. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure how its happening, but all of the photos I've taken with my camera are less than 2 MB - until I try to upload them to my gallery. Somehow they balloon to 25 - 26 MB, so they won't upload. Otherwise I have some great shots of the finished Tudor kitchen. I just can't post them here. I may have to post a link to my Flickr account. They can be found there.

My first attempt at making curtains didn't turn out so well. The cloth has frayed edges from getting cut, but I can't seal the edges from fraying even further after installation. I tried folding the edges over and glueing them together, but the glue won't bond with the cloth. I don't have a sewing machine and doubt it will work for this scale. Any suggestions?

You could try a product called Dritz Fraycheck. I find this very useful. I get it from Sherri Colvin's site

http://www.minidollkit.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DSP%2DFRACHK

Make sure the kind of fabric you are using is a natural one - cotton, silk, linen etc and use a good fabric glue. I use Fabri-Tac - again from Sherri Colvin. If you use a man made fabric you won't get a natural looking drape - they will stick out and the fold will look huge. A natural fabric allows you to crease it in a much finer pleat and with a bit of firm hold hairspray or spray starch, will hold its shape. Good luck Jeremy.

I have also found with coarser cotton & silk that if I run a fine bead of tacky glue along my pencilied cutting line, that when I cut the fabric it doesn't ravel. How I get synthetics to stick with glue (I'm still sold on old polyester neckties to upholster mini furniture!) is to cover the edges I want to glue together with folded waxed paper and clamp the dickens out of it and forget about it for at least a day.

If you go to your control panel, you can put a link in the spot called "signature" and it will show up on all your posts and we can see all your wonderful pictures :yes:

I really want that Swan Pub in the English collection. What a masterpiece! :yikes:

Yeah it is! That may be my next purchase, after I finish my french buildings. There are a few others I have my eye on, I'm thinking I'd like to do up a shadowbox with a variety of shops eventually.

Use Microsoft Office "Picture Manager" to open the photo. On the menu bar go to Tools, resize, it will open up another menu on the side of your screen, under custom sizing enter the number "500" in the first box and the number "375" in the second. Click ok and it will reduce the size of your photo. Save it in the smaller size. It should work for you, all of the pics I have in my gallery have been reduced to this size.

Well, the little Country Church is almost finished. I spent waaaay too much time online and found a marvelous treasure of little bitty people to go in my little bitty houses :wub: The roof on my church is just dry-fit for now. I'm ordering some people to put inside, so I don't want the roof glued down yet. While I wait for them to arrive, I opened my 1:144 Garfield tonight, spread out all the pieces, sealed everything before painting, and looked through all the directions. Haven't decided on a color yet. Hope I can do it without making a mistake - such a beautiful little thing!

post-4286-0-94605300-1309157432_thumb.jp

Havanaholly, I thought of you last night!

While painting up the doors for the cabinets I built, I sanded the second later. I remember Holly saying to rub with a paper bag after sanding.. plastic finish! I LOL'd!!! Amazing finish! Thank you for the tip, it's awesome!

Tonight I'll be throwing on the last coats of paint and hinging the doors..

Friday I had the whole day home alone, I haven't been alone for that long in ages.. I'm so happy the creating block is over.. was so overwhelmed for the past few weeks it was impossible to figure out what to do next..

here's a pic of the half-finished cabinets and sink:

post-6514-0-36150700-1309180742_thumb.pn

I'm very excited, i spent some time yesterday working on the Foxhall. i got trim/baseboards cut and painted for 3 different rooms. If i feel up to it this evening i will glue them into place, otherwise it will be tomorrow afternoon. I'm sitting here at work but daydreaming about working on my dollhouse! i haven't worked on dollhouses much in the past year or so but i do think about it often. Most recently i've been working on my queen anne. i got a couple of rooms of wallpaper cut and started installing some of it. I am in such a dollhouse mood right now and now of course i'm at work. phooey.

You're very welcome. The paperbag sanding tip came from a Small Stuffer mini years ago and when I used it with the lathe to finish a set of table legs I was totally blown away!

OK, CJ, where did you get your little people?

You got me started, Holly :ohyeah: Rather than look through my previous notes I just googled n-guage model trains -- never got to more than 2 websites! One is modeltrainstuff.com and the other is TandKhobby.com. When I added up my wish list of everything, on sale and reasonably priced, it was almost 3 digits - without a decimal! So I whittled it down to a more reasonable price. :whistle: I will post pictures when I get them -- they are amazing! The websites have all train scales, but I only looked at the n-guage. I wonder if they offer overnight shipping!

If you recall the post Deb made about the wee Thomas Kinkaide Christmas building ornaments at Wal Mart, I used the N-scale people as carolers to set up a Christmas village in my White Orchid.

You're very welcome. The paperbag sanding tip came from a Small Stuffer mini years ago and when I used it with the lathe to finish a set of table legs I was totally blown away!

I laughed because it was so unexpected! I thought it would be a smooth finish, but I wasn't expecting it to be as "plastic" feeling as it was! Excellent tip that I will never forget! :thumb:

If you recall the post Deb made about the wee Thomas Kinkaide Christmas building ornaments at Wal Mart, I used the N-scale people as carolers to set up a Christmas village in my White Orchid.

oh, my neighbor gave me a few winter folk, Woodland Scenics is the manufacturer.. I'm not sure what scale they are, but each is no bigger than 1/2" in height..