Greenleaf's Third Annual Spring Fling Contest

I had a lot of warping due to my own stupidity (see my earlier post) and I was able to straighten it out just fine with spritzing/dampening it, gluing it all together, and then taping and propping and weighting and clamping the living daylights out of it for over 24 hours til it was bone dry. It has held the shape since just fine. It should be OK.

I most always have a little funky stuff going on with all my builds but once everything is glued in place, it usually resolves itself. (there are exceptions of course)

Good luck !!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well got the dremel out and started cutting on the fling and the dremel bit broke and now have to wait to go to wal mart and get

more dremel parts as my assortment got thrown away by accident...

I have made so many mistakes with this kit hehehehe It is a great one to learn with that is for sure!

I made a "to do" list and came up with 25 things I still need to do. :lol: And that was after I'd already made __________ and __________ and ____________ today. Did get three more things scratched off the list but some of these things are going to take a chunk of time...like item 10. Landscaping!!!!!! That in and of itself could be broken down into several items. Oh well, I'll keep plugging away and hope I get it all done by the deadline.

I got thinking about Landscaping, and started planning, pulling out various items, and wondering how to go about it all - then I realised that I should first concentrate on the Fling itself. If there is time after that, I will continue with the landscaping! Somehow, I don't see it happening, timewise ....

Okay ... everyone knows that mothers have eyes on the back of their heads, and I firmly believe that all women are born to use three hands, but, really, how many appendages do the craft-gods think we miniaturists have?

I paint, I paper, I craft, create, and fabricate ... I landscape. The 'list' is still a mile long and when something is crossed off something else is added. I can see it coming to fruition in my head, just not on the multiple tables that the Fling is taking up all over my home!

Don't use craft paint for the roof. Use latex only. Latex paint will bond with the cardboard very nicely ... If you use craft paint or any other water based paint, the roof will curl and warp.

Question: If I have used spray-paint primer, tacky glue for reinforcement panels, and two coats of latex (which I have done (overkill or what?), can I THEN use acrylic craft paint to finish coloring the roof? I like the colors Fling chose, but will replace them with latex if we should.

I have used craft acrylic paints over white latex "primer" with no problems - but not on cardboard. I have no idea what would happen on the cardboard. I would like to hear what Deb (or Tracy, or Dean) suggests. :)

Same here, Shy, and have had very good results. Some brands are better than others with their coverage, but it's never been a major issue. I wonder if I should go ahead and order the slat roof-upgrade kit now before something detrimental happens to the corrugated! :)

I was sweating for a while about what I wanted to even do with the kit. Finally I woke-up and had it all in my head all done. I am almost finished , I got so excited about how kooky the whole thing was that I had see it through immediately. But I have run out of funds so am trying my first attempt at making almost everything from scratch. AUGHHHHH I am i awe of those who make it look so easy. Wish me luck !!

BTW my roof started falling apart even though I used spray but I think I got too crazy , today I sat there gluing it all back together !! AUGHHH again . lol

I cannot wait to see all the entries I am super duper excited !!

Brandaen

As I have posted elsewhere, I'm not entering the contest. If there's anything I can help you figure our how to make, I will. Heavy card, old metal containers like Altoid tins and powdered mustard cans, and foamcore are your friends!

I have learned the joys of foamcore and mat board I am just not that good at getting it right , measuring and sizing exactly. I am actually really excited about the whole thing, Everytime I do a new miniature project I learn something new. I sit there and say I can't do this !! and then I sit again and say ...well maybe I can, I just have to read up on the whole thing and try. Then I pitch that part and try again until it looks reasonable lol.

Love foamcore !! oh, I also love plastic easter eggs ! That is a secret hee hee .

Hi everybody. I've been reading along about all of the ___ & ___s going on & can't wait to see the finished projects! We have 3 separate buildings going on in our house and each is at a different stage (although none are very far... I think we're in trouble!). Two are my son & his friend's buildings that they are doing for the kids contest & then my hubby & I are trying to make the third one. Talk about confusion!!! :banana:

Anyway, I have a question that I haven't found an answer to. Do you glue the plastic windows to the inside or outside of the building? When I made my buttercup, I messed it up & ended up cutting my window frames bigger (it was a mess but fortunately I got it to work out & look good - I didn't read far enough ahead while I built). I am hoping to get this one right!!!

Thanks!

Doreen

Well, I finished up the _____ _____ but I really don't like it. Hubby says it's great but, if the artist is'nt happy...maybe I can do something to enhance it. *sigh* *pout*

So anyway, the good news is now I can start on the _____ and the ____. Hopefully that part will be awsome.

Doreen, I glue the inserts to the window trim and then glue the trim to whichever side of the window so that the smooth side of the insert faces the outside of the house.

I also love plastic easter eggs !
Me, too; haven't found anything else that makes such a good potbelly stove!

I am still loving this little Fling to pieces .... some of it is still IN pieces! The main worry I have is whether or not I can have it ready "enough" for the deadline. I know for sure that I won't have time to do all the things I have in my head - but I can add them later on. :wave:

Half of me can't wait for the deadline, to see all the eyecandy and what all the ________s are about .... the other half of me wishes the deadline was further away, so I can get my _____ _____ finished! :banana:

Doreen, I glue the inserts to the window trim and then glue the trim to whichever side of the window so that the smooth side of the insert faces the outside of the house.

Thank you - so it doesn't make much difference then whether its on the inside or the outside. I figured I'd better check before we got much further.

Thanks!

Doreen

Depends on the "look" you & the house want. With the "double hung" windows you want to have the uppers glued to the exterior trim and the lower panes glued to the interior trim. Otherwise, it depends on how deep into the window opening you want your glazing to appear. That's my rule-of-thumb.