The begining of the end...

c4cache

I've been visiting Hobby Lobby quite a bit since I got into mini's. Usually every Saturday, pick up a few supplies, gander at the mini's, let the creative juices flow.....you all know what I'm talkin' about.

I had noticed that my Hobby Lobby only carried one Greenleaf house, the Orchid. They had had the same eight Orchid kits on the shelf for quite some time. Kept telling myself I'd pick one up after I finished my Pierce and I'd pass on by. Last week when I was there I noticed that they only had five Orchid kits on the shelf. I told myself after Christmas I would surely have the Pierce done and would come back and get one. I went back to Hobby Lobby two days ago and low and behold they only had two Orchid kits left! I actually gasped out loud and the lady infront of me turned around to see why I had made such an awful noise. God only knows when they'll get more in, IF they get more in! If I don't get it now, then I'll probably have to order one and then have to wait for it to arrive in the mail! I went into a state of panic and put a kit in my cart. On my way home I told myself how lucky I was that I had gotten one of only two left in the whole store. How proud I was!

I got home, thinking to myself: Will my husband notice if I just stash it in the basement? Should I tell him I bought it, with a 40% off coupon? That would make it better than full price......hmmmm, better just go stash it to be safe!

For the longest time I couldn't understand how people on this forum had four and five dollhouses that they were currently working on at the SAME time! I thought you all were crazy! Not to mention the fact that you all must live in gigantic houses with huge basements that could accomidate numerous dollhouses. For the life of me I just couldn't understand it. Kept telling myself I might do another house when "this" house was finished, but I wasn't going to have two going at the same time. No way, not me! Then I went to Hobby Lobby and they only had two Orchid kits left..............................this is the begining of the end, isn't it? lol

No, not the beginning of the END.....maybe the end of your delusional thinking that you wouldn't get hooked on this hobby!!!

A couple folks here still tease me about my declaration, now 5 years ago, that "The Garfield will be the only house I'll build, so I want to do it right!". Now of course there's the Brimble rehab, the Washington rehab, the Brookwood almost done, the Tennyson waiting to be rehabbed, the Country Cottage and Emerson Row under the bed, two of the Houseworks rows of shops done, a green house....and the list goes on. :)

Welcome to the rest of us who also perhaps started with just one and while working on that and collecting ideas having a chat or two with the house about ideas that didn't fit the house's own ideas etc etc.... And speaking of the Emerson, sigh..... :) one day....

Hugs

Yup...it is over for you. You are already figuring out how to justify the purchase. Thinking of unique places to hide it. MUST HAVE IT!!

I started with one house. That was going to be it. Then I stumbled into here just for some advice. Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

That was almost three years ago (this coming January). Gosh.

Welcome to the exclusive club. Enjoy it`s benefits!

yes yes sounds all to familiar :)

I started with a ready built one...was never going to get another ( i got 2 more) but i was never going to build one never.....well 4 builds later ......now i'm scratch building my WW11 english house ....it never ends.... and how good are we with the excuses, the false prices that were bargains, and the hiding of the loot :giggle: :lol:

:lol: There you go, girl! NOW, you are one of us!!! I had to laugh when I read your story - congratulations on your new acquisition! Hey, EVERYBODY has to have at least one Orchid! (Confession: I have two). Anyway, I got a beautiful (scratch built) dollhouse from my Dad when I was 9 years old. Tragically, I lost it in a housefire some years ago (still haven't recovered from losing my special treasure). When I decided that I needed to "replace" (not even possible) my dollhouse, I started with the house my older sister gave me: it was the one my Dad had built for her. I rehabbed it, and was delighted. Then, somehow . . . I started creeping into full-scale mini mania by doing some roomboxes, then the scratch built bargain houses that I felt needed to be loved and brought back. From there, of course, the logical progression was (ta da!!!) KITS!!! Welcome to the club - you are with us now!!! :)

I thought you all were crazy! Not to mention the fact that you all must live in gigantic houses with huge basements that could accomidate numerous dollhouses.

That's really funny!! I have a couple of houses waiting for me, in their boxes, and let me reassure you, my husband and I RENT one side of a SMALL duplex, and have a lot of hand-me-down furniture from the family to fill the house--but a lot of the furniture is in the basement and the dollhouses stay upstairs, filling what was once our office space! Half was supposed to be for me, but the houses have taken over!...right now I have no official place to put the two houses I'm working on so I'm moving them back and forth between the computer desk chair, the floor, the art desk, and a pile of stacked Rubbermaids!!!

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who lives in a small space...but one makes room for the things he or she loves!! And when I look at each and every house, I smile!

Welcome to the crazy club!

Yep, your addiction has officially begun.

I started out with 1 a little over a year ago, and now I'm up to 15-16. Brace yourself because it only gets worse (or better depending on who you ask)...worse for our poor husbands and their wallets, but definitely better for us. :)

It's not the beginning of the end - there is no end. It's the beginning of the downward spiral. Into the abyss. Houses are like bunnies. You get one and it's cute, then you think it's lonely, so you get another one to keep it company and find out you DIDN'T get 2 girls... and suddenly you wake up one morning and say 'where did they all come from??'

The best is when you finally find the kit that you have been searching high and low for and you are mad that things like rent and food get in the way. That has just happened to me. Soon, you will be scouring craigslist and ebay and freecycle for anything you can find.

Yes, you are in the early stages of BADS. I am in the same early stages. There is no cure that I have heard of.

I had to buy a Vineyard Cottage select this summer and it is still waiting for me. :)

The Orchid is a cute house. I might some day get it. It just hasn't told me that it must go home with me yet.

OH! OH!!! I don't have an Orchid! I have been doing this for longer than most. After 25 years, you would think that I had one. I have miniatures in every room of my house except the bathrooms. If I don't have an Orchid does it mean that my collection is not complete? I need an Orchid. Don't look under the bed or in the closets at the other kits! I NEED AN ORCHID!!!! I like the idea of having one of each of the Greenleaf and Corona houses. Let's see, I am also missing a Madison, and a Garfield and a...........Oh! This is fun. My name is Casey and I am addicted!!! :)

Only other dollhouse people understand this problem! When I say stuff to others in my life about how I need this house or that one, they're like, "of course you shouldn't buy another. What's wrong with you? Finish what you have."

At least here my normalcy is validated.

Only other dollhouse people understand this problem! When I say stuff to others in my life about how I need this house or that one, they're like, "of course you shouldn't buy another. What's wrong with you? Finish what you have."

At least here my normalcy is validated.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!!! Started in July of this year thinking I'd just get one and only one...now I have a total of four and can see more in my future :)

You are forever lost! lol... congrats on the new kit.

I'm one of the guilty people with multiple projects on the go. I probably have close to 20 projects in some stage of progress. :)

Holy Mary, mother of spaghetti! 20?! :D I'm saving this to show my husband for when he tells me I have too many projects going!