Jump to content

uppitycats

Platinum Member
  • Content Count

    4,521
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

39 Excellent

About uppitycats

  • Rank
    uppitycats
  • Birthday 02/07/1947

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Female
  • Location
    Central Wisconsin
  • Interests
    dollhouses and miniatures, mostly 1:12 scale<br />cats<br />native prairie restoration and maintenance

Previous Fields

  • Dollhouse Building Experience
    Five or more
  • Real Name
    Ann
  • Country
    United States

Recent Profile Visitors

4,326 profile views
  1. I've been having "issues" with loading pictures...trying to figure out how to adjust the resolution on my camera to make them the proper size to post here. So we'll see if this works: The house has had as many cracks as I can reach -- filled in with wood putty. Some of the rooms have been painted. I'll be painting the rest in the next day or so. The hardest area to paint is the area along the staircase. This should have been painted (or papered) before the house was built! I didn't attempt to take all that apart.. it was pretty well-built, only one major seam along the staircase
  2. A lot has been done since I last posted. I've had problems loading pictures, so I'll try again with this post, but it may not work.. ... Anyway. I have gone over the entire house with a container of wood putty at hand. (I use elmers wood putty, in a square plastic container). I've filled in all acracks, then gone back over the house and filled in cracks I missed the first time. (And just this very day found yet another gap that needed filling..) Once the wood putty dried (I wait at least overnight), I sanded all the cracks, carving out excess putty where necessary. I've
  3. All the wallpaper is gone. I tore off as much as I could, then scraped off some more. When I got done with as much as I could that way, I moved to the sponge dipped in water, and a scraper in the other hand. I finally gone down to mostly bare wall. I finished removing all the loose pieces before, and got rid of the hot glue. I used the hot gun to heat a scraper and putty knife, and used those tools (with a glove on my hand) to remove as much hot glue as I could along seams. The problem with hot glue is that unless you're an expert, it's really hard to lay down a steady stream of
  4. The hot glue. Although I've rehabbed several houses now, this is the first one I've had that was totally put together with hot glue. I fully understand now why everyone says "Don't Use Hot Glue!". It cracks, leaving sharp splinters. When you try to pull away loose sections, it takes part of the wood with it, marring the pieces. It splinters, leaving shards all over the place. And as I said, pieces were already falling off. I think if you're a contractor who can lay down a perfectly even line of hot glue then maybe....maybe...it would work. But I'm not. I have had great success with Elm
  5. That's a brookwood. I love mine. It's got a great fireplace!
  6. A Houseworks Shop, set up for consignment and furniture repair... a good way to display all those bits and pieces I don't yet have a place for i my other houses!
  7. This is the first time I'll try this with this new website... but I've finished a little roombox that I'm giving to my sister-in-law. This is the one who visits all the thrift stores and finds stuff for me... unfortunately most of which isn't to scale, but she did find the Tennyson, and in this little roombox are the doll, the wagon, and a cat she found. The box started out as a supposedly one day project at a NAME Wisconsin Day. I don't know how they expected us to be able to finish it in one day! There was very little room to work; glue has to dry, paint has to dry, brick mo
  8. The one in blue is a woman, and yes, she is curing a skin. The bark roof IS real bark, cut from trees on our property.
  9. uppitycats

    Spring Fling 2009

    This is my husband's creation, entirely. The only contribution I made was allowing him access to my "stash" of accessories, to complement those that he didn't make himself. Chittamoo Jean's Trapper Lodge, circa 1805, is a post-in-sill log cabin, with a bark roof. The post-in-sill construction is parallel vertical log ends set in the gorund, and then horizontal log sides dropped into the space between them. The lodge has a bark roof, a jamb stove in the fireplace, and a chimney of river clay and stone. Log timbers support the upper floor and roof. There are Dutch doors in
  10. uppitycats

    The Brookwood

    This documents my building The Brookwood, the birch version.
  11. This house was bought sight unseen, when my sister-in-law discovered it in a thrift store. $85 and a 50 mile trip later, it's MINE! :) Needs rehabbing, to be sure.. but is structurally sound and a great little house. I love the porch, especially on the second floor! :)
  12. uppitycats

    Cat Weather Vane

    hand made, out of sheet brass. Turns "with the wind", has directionals on it which turn. Designed for The Lady Garfield, my "cat house".
  13. uppitycats

    Vacation Furniture

    The lounge chairs, stuffed chair, and suitcase I made on vacation
  14. The turntables themselves certainly aren't large enough -- so you have to build a base for the dollhouse that sits ON the turntable (and is bolted to the turntable), and then set the turntable on another table or flat surface. My Garfield, my largest house, is on a turntable that sits on a low garden table, and it graces my living room. My Brimble is on a turntable on the buffet in my dining room. My Washingotn is on a turntable here in my study. My roomboxes -- small enough and with straight backs -- are on my dresser in the bedroom. I haven't worked out places for my others just yet..
×
×
  • Create New...