What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Here are the after shots

Nemo decals were added after these shots.

She's pretty happy with the results and was a super hard worker thru it all.

Training her for the future ...

The 3rd King cake is braided and rising while the 2nd one bakes. My goodness but the house smells good! :)

This afternoon we went to a pops concert by the local philharmonic. Yep ... little Marshall, MO, has a philharmonic orchestra. Also a municipal band that has been around for about 80 years. The music programs in the public school are wonderful. HS chorus and bands frequently take firsts in state competitions.

We ran into a few more people to invite to the Mardi Gras party. I have no idea how many are coming now, but that's okay. It's an informal buffet, and gumbo stretches. :no: Lloyd's making a big pot of red beans, too. He started with three pounds of beans. I'm glad the leftovers will freeze well.

Tomorrow I have to clean up my craft area. I don't even want to think about that tonight. I'll frost the King cakes in the morning. One of them will go to the staff at the cancer center. The other two are for the party. I'm going a little nutso wanting to get back to the White Orchid. I have so many ideas, but life keeps intervening with my mini plans.

Here are the after shots

Nemo decals were added after these shots.

She's pretty happy with the results and was a super hard worker thru it all.

Training her for the future ...

The room looks wonderful! We used that same border in our other house for the boys' room. Now, my daughter has Nemo border at mid-height, stencilled waves above, Nemo decals below.

post-3775-1235357938_thumb.jpg

post-3775-1235357967_thumb.jpg

post-3775-1235357990_thumb.jpg

the dolphins are great. That's something she won't soon grow out of, either.

Back to school today. It gets harder all the time, as everyone stresses out about the state test. Our school did very well last year but everyone is afraid we won't this year. I sure wish I could afford to retire!

But I will stop at Hobby Lobby and stock up on molding, on the way home! Probably won't get any done this week, but maybe on the weekend. I can continue to work on my floor, if I don't run out of skinny sticks again!

I love the little lady bugs flying between the shelves. :(

Thanks. I tried my hand at stencilling in her room and I think it turned out quite well. There is also a family of dragonflies on another wall, among other things. It was really fun to try something new, and I had a pattern to follow as I cannot draw/paint freehand for beans! :hug: :)

OK Liza....I'm curious. What is a scrapbooking party? Do tell? Sounds like fun whatever it is! I used to love parties, but few people have parties here. Haven't been to a Tupperware party for ages on ages...do they still do them? Haven't been to a Princess House party since the 80's.....1980's Corwin, not 1880's......LOL

So what is a scrapbooking party?

OK Liza....I'm curious. What is a scrapbooking party? Do tell? Sounds like fun whatever it is! I used to love parties, but few people have parties here. Haven't been to a Tupperware party for ages on ages...do they still do them? Haven't been to a Princess House party since the 80's.....1980's Corwin, not 1880's......LOL

So what is a scrapbooking party?

Yes, they still have Tupperware parties, and Partylight for candles and accessories, and Signatures for home decor items, etc, etc.

The scrapbooking party I went to is by a consultant for Creative Memories. In this case, she was not trying to sell anything, but you could order stuff if you needed to. Every so often, Leslie invites 4-5 people to her house for the day (or the evening) and you sit there and work on your own scrapbook album and chat and eat M&M peanuts. The people I've met at her place all have young kids, so it's a day to themselves. You pay a small amount to be there, but she serves lunch and lets you use any of her punches, etc., that you may need to borrow.

J-F's hockey team is having one that I am more or less in charge of. Parents and kids get together for several hours and each parent/child is responsible for creating their own page to go in the end-of-hockey year scrapbook/memory album. Hockey is bigger here than most other sports, except maybe soccer in the summer time.

Does this clear things up, or just confuse you more? (Just in case someone doesn't know what scrapbooking is, check out the website for Creative Memories at www.creativememories.com.

Not sure if scrapbooking parties there are different than here in the UK, but here they get together and scrapbook, doing their own books, but swapping ideas and 'bits'. Sometimes they'll do a specific theme. I think here scrapbooking is often combined with card making, so sometimes they'll do cards as well.

Knee is feeling a bit better today. Am being referred to the physio for some muscle strengthening exercises to hopefully avoid future episodes. Doc didn't know exactly what was causing the sore knee, but thought maybe the patella (knee cap) is slightly out of line... but then you'd think it'd hurt all the time and not just every 6-12 months. During university it used to start hurting when I had to sit at a desk for weeks revising, but this time I haven't been sitting, and it is hurting more. It slowly gets more and more sore as I sit still. If I can straighten my leg easily and bend it a couple times, it goes away again. Feels a bit like it is seizing up and I have to straighten it to undo it. Anyway, also got some pain killers to keep me going. Burn is also feeling less stinging today. Put a dressing on it during the day to stop my trousers rubbing on it, but have it open this evening. No blister, yay.

Flat inspection on Wednesday, so continued the cleaning today. Sorted the bedroom and bathrooms. Tomorrow I'll finish the kitchen and sitting room while Chris hoovers. Last time the flat was spotless, but this time I can't really be bothered. So it is clean and mostly tidy, just quite a few things on my desk in the study, and my building area is worked in.

The White Orchid shell is together and the main roof is on. I made a second upstairs partition, papered the main part of the bedroom and put flooring in the bathroom. This is such a poliite little kit! He didn't want wallpaper until he found out who will live in him, and has he ever got some wild & wonderful ideas (mylar ceiling over the bed...)! I think I'll paper the parlor wall tomorrow whilst installing the dormers.

I have finished Margaret's afghan :pope: and the duplicate bedspread for Martha is actually another afghan, now that I found the ORIGINAL bedspread (see Alzheimer's vs Dementia thread).

Back to work for me this week. Why do vacations always go so fast? I have made progress on the Laurel. There are a couple new pics in my gallery and on my blog. I am really happy how it is turning out. My bonus from Lowe's really helps. Soon I hope tp be starting the kitchen, a.k.a. The Primrose. Just gotta clear a space big enough.

It's Tuesday, so errand day; also taking food to The Kid (aka, DS#3) and maybe haul him to lunch with us, and see where he is on scrubbing down the Jerk's former room so we can begin planning the repairs.

The sky is RED this AM!

A specialty store smack in the middle of downtown is closing next month, and things are going on sale as of today. (OK, I live in a city with over 800,000 people!) However, I am too tired today to go, but hope to go maybe tomorrow. They sell some stuff that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

So, today will be a rest day, more laundry, and maybe some mini-ing in there before the kids get home and we have pancake tuesday supper. Oh, and a trip to the post office, for sure to send out a package and to return a book I accidentally ordered in duplicate!

I am still sitting at the computer. Yeah! No major pain.

What to do today? Umm take a shower for one. And that will probably be about it. I am still nursing this cold so I am not 100% better on that front. I just want to get clean and relax on the couch. I wish I had to energy to take all the bed linens to the laundramat. I have been sick and in bed for too long this past 2 weeks and I want to freshen up the covers. Maybe tomorrow.

The girls were so nice to me yesterday. They both checked on me, they ordered take out for dinner (i only paid half), brought me ice waters, and made sure I was still breathing..LOL Nobody tried to ask me for stuff while I was not in my right mind..you know how kids can try to use that to their advantage.."but mom you said I could have a keg party when you were sick!"

I do not think I can stand long enough to cook dinner but I will defrost stuff for taco night. Nat is good at making that for dinner and she likes to do it. My friend is going to pick up Chelsea from work so I do not have to drive. I can sit fine but I do not want to use my right foot also right now. I think I will try tomorrow morning but not today.

So off to wash away the grungies.

not much going on around here...Im back at work full swing and Im really enjoying it...

several people I worked with have stopped by my bay to let me know that they were glad to see me back at work and my supervisor told me that I had been on the board at the time of our layoff with the highest ECHO scores on the floor...woohoooo...go me.

the Echo is client surveys and grading after our calls. now if I can get my handling time down maybe Ill qualify for some bonus's!

I will get better as I work...did I say yet how glad I was to be working again? because I am.

today Amanda starts her training..so for the next 3 weeks she will go in early and I will stay late so we can share rides...they still dont have their car running. but Ive heard how they brag how they dont get help from anyone...they dont recieve handouts and have made it on their own....HELLOOOOO....how soon we forget you just put your parents thru 5 months of H___ living off them....I guess I dont know what a handout is :rofl:

say a quick prayer for patience and holding my tounge in the car on the ride there and back...30 mins both way.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we got the back wheel from the bike place....and Dean already has it on and we are ready for Thursday and Friday...we will be at the Lake riding....I have been riding my excersize bike with the tension set high so that i can build stamina and strength for this endeaver

wish us luck we dont end up in the river :lol:

we plan on riding around the lake until we feel confident cars can pass us without me freaking out.... and work on our turning and stuff. I feel a good summer comming our way.

Jeving was here when I woke up this am...said he was really enjoying his new place and was glad I had been so forceful about making sure he had one...SO AM I! love this kid....but he is sooo rude since he grew up.

today its work and tomorrow...than Im off for 2.

Heidi....my back went out when Catriona was in 1st grade...I was bed ridded for almost 2 weeks.

I blew a disc and it was laying on the sciatic nerve...because of my weight issues I suffered almost a yr trying to get SOMEONE...ANYONE to operate...part of my right leg and 2 smallest toes suffered nerve damage and are still tingly...doesnt stop me but OMG that was worse(pain) than having kids from the bum area!!

the only thing worse than the pain from that was the RNY I had...

having high tolerance for pain is NOT always a good thing. I hope they can help you at the docs!

keeping you and everyone else here high on my list!!

I miss you guys!

nutti :)

We took DS two bags of groceries and the old desk that used to be my workbench. We took him to lunch and to Wally World to buy the perishables he's out of that won't be in tomorrow's food box. He's such a good kid, basically, and seems to function better all the time (especially now that the Jerk is history).

I got two walls of the WO parlor wallpapered, and I think I'll wait to finish tomorrow so I can do a good trim on the little bit of excess I need to remove.

today i have spent most of the day on the couch and on the computer either switching between sites or drawing my own decopage. i have also sat with my box that holds my next project the fantasy villa and having a think about my action plan for it. i so want to start playing but i dont have room for it yet boo hoo. i had a bath all ready for physio therapy tomorrow but i really dont want to go as im loaded with a cold and dont have the energy but if i want to get walking again i need to go. yesturday i made a load of mini things for a swap im part of and im very happy with them i think i went over board with the matching colour scheme and the amount i made whoops oh well.

Lynette, you explained the pain exactly to a T. It was so horrendous I cannot even explain it unless you have been thru it.

I drove nat to school this morning. Foot is numb but I can feel it. Better then yesterday. I am going to need physical therapy when this is all said and done. I have a hard time walking up and down the stairs. Do not worry about me and driving. I tested it yesterday by going to the store down the street. If I felt I could not do it, I wouldnt. I am just driving local for quick trips. Tomorrow is my appt.

Kathie, how did your Mardi Gras celebration go? I was there with you in gastronomical spirit. Fred and I watch food shows because we like to torture ourselves and New Orleans is one of the places that are on our must go places. There are so many places there that we are dying to try. Okay, now I am hungry cause I am thinking about an oyster po`boy (dressed).

We are seeing the light at the end of the long cold white tunnel Greg. Lent is upon us. Before you can blink we will be basting our Easter Hams and have forgotten about Winter 2008/2009. Today is Ash Wednesday. I do not observe many things anymore but I do observe one thing during Lent. No meat on Fridays. Not many people do this anymore but I like the tradition. Plus we get to eat some yummy seafood!

Kathie, how did your Mardi Gras celebration go? I was there with you in gastronomical spirit. Fred and I watch food shows because we like to torture ourselves and New Orleans is one of the places that are on our must go places. There are so many places there that we are dying to try. Okay, now I am hungry cause I am thinking about an oyster po`boy (dressed).

The good times rolled. :hmm: <slurp> Some friends had been to other MG parties we've thrown, but it's always fun to watch the newbies get over their initial surprise -- what? dinner is rice and a couple pots full of what?? -- and get into the spirit of the occasion. Lloyd met everyone at the door and draped them in beads to get the party going.

This is the dessert table. Those are home made pralines in the center with a couple of King cakes. The beignets are keeping warm in the oven. I decided to fry them ahead of time this year. If I do it during the party, I'm lashed to the stove and don't get to visit. They were a little bit rubbery, but not enough that anyone who hasn't enjoyed fresh beignets would notice.

gallery_818_2826_88669.jpg

We lucked onto some soft shell crabs from a Cajun restaurant in Sedalia. Oh, my, but that added a whole extra layer of flavor to the gumbo.

More photos in my gallery under Mardi Gras 2009.

The day after Mardi Gras is always so quiet. I should be packing away the beads but I think they'll stay up for a while. Today I'm off to have a haircut, then later this afternoon a reporter from the local newspaper is coming to interview me about the dollhouses. She heard about Marie Laveau's cottage but doesn't know about the other minis lurking in the basement ... can't wait to see the look on her face. :hmm: