What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I bought two nice artichokes today and I am going to stuff them and steam them in the oven until tender. Looovvveee stuffed artichokes. One of my favorite things from childhood. Nummy! All Mine! Hahahahaha

Fred is home with the cold that I have/had. He never stays home sick so that tells you alot. I am going to make real baked mac and cheese and bread fish fillets for dinner tonite.

Chelsea is having a couple lasagna rolls that I have in the freezer from another time I made them.

Not overdoing it. Nat is helping and everything is easy to fix. I havent cooked dinner in quite awhile so they all deserve it. Between the cold and my leg..it has been take out city and throw together fend for yourself meals.

Broke tradition and did not have pancakes or crepes yesterday for supper because DH went to a hockey game, unexpectedly, with his boss. So, we are supposed to have them tonight. I know, it's Ash Wednesday, but some traditions must continue, even if delayed one day.

DS#1 is giving up the wii for Lent! All I can say is 'yes, please', so there will be a lot less Rock Band in my livingroom for the next 6 weeks. Don't know what the others are giving up. As for me, definitely NOT my computer and my mini's. Rarely watch tv, so I will have to think of something else. Maybe mini-shopping, except for March 28th when we are planning on going to a mini show in Montreal, Quebec?

What do you stuff them with Heidi?

I peel and chop up the stems, cut slices of white bread (no crusts), a couple garlic cloves, one egg yolk, and some parmesan cheese. Throw it all in the food processor till it is all chopped up fine and mixed. Stuff the trimmed artichoke leaves with it, put them in a pot with a steamer basket ( 1 cup of water), pour some olive oil on top of each one and steam until I can pull one the leaves off easily. Takes about an hour to an hour and a half.

I should have not cooked dinner. My leg hurts. Not like before but I over did it just doing that simple task. There is a PILE of dishes. I would bribe Nat to wash them for me but she is P.Oed at me right now. Major Major POed. I had to pull the Mom card and she did not like it..LOL

Chelsea is going to a Buddhist meeting after dinner so I cannot con her into doing them and Fred is in bed sick with a cold. I guess they will just sit there until tomorrow.

I finally did our laundry and in between loads worked on the Washington Heights Bungalow. Got the outside stuccoed, the first floor wallpapered and painted all the bookcases and inside trim, got the first coat of paint on all of the brickwork. It is a cute little house.

I have the WO's dormers on and the mylar is in place on the gable ceiling. I LOVE how my "doctored" windows turned out! I've got the acetate insert drying on the front door trim, and the hinges drying on the door. I have figured out how I want to finish off the door. I hope to get the door glued together tomorrow. We're planning to paddle the Wakulla River tomorrow, weather permitting, so not much mini-ing.

I figured out what was wrong with old man river a.k.a Chingy (our old siamese). He can not eat the dry food. Well he can but not much of it. He was acting weird because he was hungry. I found a stray can of wet food in the back of the cabinet and I fed it to him and he ate the whole thing. So yesterday I bought a multitude of wet food. He is getting back to his old self again.

I stopped feeding the animals wet food after Tyson died because I wanted them to have the benefit of dry food on their teeth. Chingy is an old man and I think he deserves to eat in luxury from now on.

I have my dr appt this morning. Crossing fingers that they can tell me something good.

Not doing much mini making this week. I'm so run down, I came home from school at lunch yesterday, slept until dinner, went and watched the family eat pizza, then back home to bed-what a wet blanket I am!

We are finally painting our house. DH got the bathroom done and it's amazing what a difference it makes. This house is full of wood trim-exposed beams, built in bookcases, french doors in the living room alone. I think I've said before that the original finish on it all just kind of evaporated over the years, and it looks awful. White enamel is making such a change! But it took a week to sand, fill dents, kilz, and then paint the one part of the bathroom. We will probably be doing this through the summer!

Well, we are back home again after a loooovley week at Tenerife. Great scenery, lots of hiking/trekking noooo swimming to cold and high waves. This must be a heaven for surfing interested.

The hotel apartment we had was larger than our first LOL

Will share pics later on when our server at home is up and running again amongst other things happening when getting back to work etc etc

Sooo happy to be home again around here as well, have a "few" pages of posts here and there to read so to speak...

Hugs

Well.......it's a great day! Doug is still sleeping in, the dog is quiet and the cats are sleeping, and it's snowing like crazy! So what am I doing today? Just playing!!!!!!! I'm accessorizing things for the Vineyard house as it's not started yet. I'm waiting patiently for a table. But the best gift I got today was a hand written note to me telling me that when he passes away, this house on the mountain is mine! Cool...now how to pay the mortage?! LOL anyway I'll believe it when it happens.

Other than that, this is a day of play, play, play!!!!!

It is snowing here so I have a pot of beef bones simmering for beef noodle soup for super. Because of the emtional toll this weeks family incident have taken on me I would like to get my pj's on and go hide under the quilt. But our taxes await me so off to the office I go. Rita

Not up to much today. A bit tired from shopping yesterday for you know who, so I took a nap.

Started a mini-knitted blanket that I am trading for dishes from Margaret. I have seen substantial improvements in my mini-knitting lately, so I hope she will like it. She asked for it to be mauve. Took me the longest time yesterday to decide what colour 'mauve' is, because to me it is purple. In fact, the French word for purple is 'mauve'. Finally decided on a light shade of purple that I think will be ok.

My daughter is making her promise in Guides tonight (French guides, called Guides-Amies, no longer related at all to the English Guides), so I went and picked up a few things for the potluck snacks after the ceremony. We're bringing home-made punch and chips.

Nothing much else going on.

I survived the dentist today. Jaw still aching though. Our flat passed its inspection, and the plumber is coming tomorrow morning to fit the final piece on the boiler (he nearly finished it today). We've been a staff member down this week, so it has been very busy at work. The cleaning for flat inspection, extra lots of work (stayed a whole extra hour yesterday evening, and otherwise at least 25 mins extra each night), and dentist all mean I'm exhausted, and yesterday really felt like friday. Finally friday arrives tomorrow and I can't wait for the evening and weekend.

Sister is coming for the weekend which will be nice. Some window shopping will be done saturday :wave:

Sleepy time.... night night...... zzzzzzz....

We spent a lovely four hours paddling up the St Mark's River through the first two sets of shoals. The third batch turned me back again, DH made it through the fourth, whitewater ones and shot them, but I didn't have it in me to keep going that far; the two I did coming back were fun! We saw a total of three 'gators, one was about 13' long and obviously guarding a food cache, as he hit the water and wouldn't move or submerge, just glared at us with those beady little eyes until we were well past. The turtles all came out after noon (like they were on the clock!lol). We saw one magnificent greater blue heron (in its blue plumage) and more kingfishers than we could count!

Afterwards we went to our favorite place in St Mark's for blackened shrimp sandwiches and cold Coronas with lime slices. YUM! On the way home we stopped at the outfitter and they had the new edition of our new friend Liz Carter's book of paddling trails around the State.

I have one more knob to put on the WO door, but I'll hang it first.

Tomorrow (Friday) we're off to the VA in Columbia in the morning, then cutting across country to the eye doctor in Sedalia in the afternoon. These are Lloyd's appointments; I'm just going along for the ride. I wish I could work on something in the car, but I'm always too interested in what's outside the window and counting hawks to concentrate on anything inside.

Now that the party's over, I need to get into the craft area and straighten up. Much stuff got stowed away. It looks okay to the casual observer, but nothing is where it needs to be. It's supposed to snow on Saturday. I think I'll declare it a mini-me day and spend it in the basement. I've figured out the lighting for the White Orchid and am anxious to get it installed.

I'm off sick tonight, think I may have the flu, got the shot. Heard it lasts about 90 days. So even if they guess right and get the correct strain it can just push flu season back a coupla months. I aint gettin a needle in my arm next year, that's for sure. Bin sicker this year than any other for the past 10 years, when I never got the shot.

I have hung the WO's door; the trims I did turned out even more gorgeous than I thought they would. I began to assemble the big gable, so when I get the other doorknob & exterior door trim on I'll start the porch assembly.

Grocery run today, breakfast stuff & fresh veggies. I want to make 'tater pancakes with the lamb for supper. Also pick up some cans of tuna for salads, fish cakes, etc.

So sorry Andrew. I am happy (and lucky) to say that the flu shots have done me good so far over the past few years. Fred has to have them every year because of work and he is now sick in bed. I think it is just a really bad cold though. Today will be his third day with it. Natalie came home early from school yesterday because she vomitted. I am going to clean every single surface I can think of. I did not even wake her up this morning to see how she was feeling.

Leg hurts more in the mornings I have noticed. Probably cause I have slept on it. I will run some of my errands today but I will not kill myself.

This morning is going to be interesting. There is this girl that started work at Chelsea`s job about a month ago. She basically is not working out. She is calling in sick, or not showing up at all. So they fired her yesterday and told her not to bother to come in today.

I found out one day at our credit union (i was depositing Chelsea`s paycheck) that the young girl who has been working there for a long time is best friends with this girl at Chelsea`s job. I wonder if she is going to say anything to me today about the firing? Hmmm I KNOW NOTHING..LOL

I guess I better enjoy the wonderful spring like weather we are going to have today, because it will disappear fast this weekend. We are in for some BIG SNOW!

I hope it will be too warm in my area and it will be just rain.

I'm thinking it might be RSV, yes adults do get it, it's real contagious etc. I've been dedicated to triage for the past few weeks and we've seen a lot of RSV. It aint dangerous (neither is the flu) but you still feel like garbage.

When I was in the ER for my sciatica, I was sent to a room right next to triage because I could not sit in the waiting room. They had stretchers in this small room. The door to triage was left open. Fred kept remarking that this nurse did not wash or Purell her hands once in the 2 hours we waited. NOT ONCE. And the Purell machine makes considerable noise. He has to Purell his hands every time we walks into the area were the babies are in the NICU.

80% of the people coming in were complaining about stomach flu. She even said that she was dealing with it herself. Let me tell you, Fred and I were grossed out and we both hit the Purell station before we left.

Yuck!

Handwashing is absolutely the first line of defense against bacteria & viruses! The first time I ever took a flu shot I got laid out with a nasty "bug" (not the one covered by the vaccine) and swore never to take it again. Our Dean required us to take the vaccine when we started our clinical rotations in Nursing School and I haven't missed one since! Other than an occasional bout involving infected sinuses requiring antibiotics I never missed more than three days of work due to any flu. DH & I still take it every year.

Handwashing is absolutely the first line of defense against bacteria & viruses! The first time I ever took a flu shot I got laid out with a nasty "bug" (not the one covered by the vaccine) and swore never to take it again. Our Dean required us to take the vaccine when we started our clinical rotations in Nursing School and I haven't missed one since! Other than an occasional bout involving infected sinuses requiring antibiotics I never missed more than three days of work due to any flu. DH & I still take it every year.

My kids, DH and I all get the flu shot every year, whether the kids want it or not. With my kidney problems, I am in a high risk group for complications. Anyway, the Ontario goverment has been paying for the flu shot for about 8 years now, so there is no cost to anyone to get it.