What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

15 hours ago, KathieB said:

Will you be back yard campers? Or do you have an excursion planned? Sounds like fun, either way.

DH got it for all the extra tent pegs.  The fact that it's a Coleman tent bigger than the new base camp tent we used on our trip to WV in September is just lagniappe

Our grocery had 10 lb turkeys and DS (aka The Kid) will take are of any leftovers.  He had an unexpected vet bill and has been on short rations for the past month (the first we heard of this was at supper last night).  Speaking of leftovers, my favorite turkey leftovers are turkey tetrazzini!

A lazy Thanksgiving morning is in store for all of us. I'm making my French toast casserole with strawberry sauce and a frittata for when everyone gets up. No turkey for us today as we already had our big meal a couple weeks ago with my brother and his wife. We have some friends coming over for the second football game, and I am doing all finger food.

I'm so thankful for this wonderful forum and all of you guys. Your creativity inspires me :)

I wish I had your cooking and baking creativity, holly. Just a traditional TG dinner for us and my DIL's family. I basically only cook three times per year. TG, Christmas and Easter.  My younger son, the real cook, is in New Hampshire so I don't have a helper this year.  My older son, whose name should be, "In a Minute, Mom", will mind the gravy.  

Have a wonderful day to all those cooks out there.

If I had all the sons and their families coming I would have begun last week and had soup, salad and at last two desserts and q half dozen veggie sides.  For just us it's turkey (no dressing), green bean casserole (no canned fried onions; dried ones from the Asian grocery), dirty rice and sweet potato pie, and the leftover jalapeno cheddar biscuits for those who want bread.  The no-knead bread is for pain perdu for breakfast.  Any and all leftovers will go back to Tallahassee with DS#3 when he goes home, to put on a post-Christmas feed for his homeless buddies.

It being my 41st time of being responsible for the Thanksgiving meal, I decided to find an easy route again. I did consider making restaurant reservations, but last week my son thought he was going to have to work on Thanksgiving, so that was out. Luckily I found a Jennie-O brand frozen boneless turkey breast at the market. You cook it in the oven, in its own bag, from frozen - no thawing, and just enough for 3. It can also be cooked in a slow cooker if you like. I also splurged on some prepared side dishes from a local catering company that has a special Thanksgiving menu, so you can pick and choose what you want and pick it up the day before. We're trying out their Vermont cheddar soup, 2 kinds of stuffing ( in case we prefer one over the other). One is sage and sausage, the other cornbread with roasted chestnuts and herbs. Also ordered whipped turnip with ginger butter (I've never tried turnips), cauliflower au gratin, roasted fall vegetables, and grand marnier cranberry sauce with toasted pecans & orange zest. The last is a treat just for me, no one else likes cranberry sauce. For 30 years DH would ask why I bought cranberry sauce. No one eats it, he'd say. I DO!, I'd snap back. All I have to do is make the mashed potatoes & gravy. I baked a frozen pumpkin pie and thawed some Cool Whip last night. The pecan pie I bought from the bakery turned out to be overbaked. The middle is ok, I tried some last night.

• Like 2

The potatoes and mini-turkeys are in the oven. The house smells good from the bread that baked earlier and little whiffs of baking Cornish hen are wafting out of the kitchen, just enough to edge our appetites. Grazhina, that  grand marnier cranberry sauce with toasted pecans & orange zest sounds wonderful! 

• Like 1

After going to our grandson's footballl game, we've had a different T'day dinner this year. Realized no one really liked turkey so we tossed it from our menu. Here's what we ended up with. 

T'day menu: Appetizers: my famous dip with Bugles (lovely tune). Main meal: my family favorite - meatloaf, turnip, mashed potato, sweet potato, peas, stuffing, snowflake rolls, family favorite homemade cranberry fluff salad. Dessert: homemade chocolate and lemon meringue pies, bakery made apple crumb, pecan, coconut custard pies all with homemade (real) whipped cream.  Super full tummies!!! 

Hope you all are enjoying friends and family and thinking about all we are so blessed to enjoy! We decided we are very spoiled with all the wonderful love and caring we share and blessed abundantly with way more than we need. 

• Like 2

The dishes are washing in Mr Dishwasher and all the leftovers are put away.  It was tasty.  Our little turkey was quite moist and tasty; I rubbed my concoction that I usually use to make BBQ baby back ribs, in the cavity and underneath the skin (dark brown sugar, garlic, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper, to make a runny paste; it looks nasty and makes the meat taste heavenly).  No cranberry orange relish this year, I always end up having to pitch most of it because it's so sweet we can't take much of it.

• Like 2

Had a very nice thanksgiving yesterday! Herb butter rubbed turkey, sourdough stuffing, sweet potato casserole with candied pecan topping, cranberry sauce, and green beans. Watched the Macy's parade yesterday as I started my cooking. Oh, and pumpkin pies, of course. Jaunted over to the Walmart around 1 am this morning to take advantage of some black Friday deals. Got there between the crowds, so very good! Today my dad and I are off to the mountains near Sparta to get our Christmas tree. Dad will set it up, possibly put the lights on, but the major decorating is usually held the first weekend in December, when my mom and I join forces.

Today is the day we  "make a Christmas house"  as my younger son says. I had the boys bring down all the decorations from the attic yesterday. My older son has to work today, he got home from work around 2 am last night, so it'll be just my younger son and I doing most of it. My entire living room is filled, I'm sure the boxes multiplied in the attic since last year :)

It is finally Yabba Dabba Do Time! Alas, I am just too pooped from all of the holiday rigors to touch my project tonight. Instead, I am going to try to educate myself a little on hubby's Go Pro. My cell phone camera has reached the end of it's ability, and I need a macro lens and to learn how to focus on the focus and blur out the background. Working on a bit of a "too little sleep" headache, tho, so probably won't retain too much info tonight. I'll feel better about working toward some goal than I would just boob tubing it, though. The grandpuppy is hoping I'll get back to work soon - he just loves to stare at all of the little scenes in the house!

IMG_1627.JPG

He is adorable. He looks how I feel.

I didn't do anything for Thanksgiving. I had some tostadas (I looove tostadas!) for dinner last night and tonight I made meatloaf and a semi-pumpkin pie. I took 16 oz of cream cheese and 2/3 cup of sugar and made a base. Then I mixed a can of pumpkin, 2 small boxes of instant Vanilla pudding, and a cup of milk and mixed everything together for a no-bake pie (spiced to taste). Problem is, I decided I wanted a crust and this time I decided to make one. Big mistake.

I got the crust together and even rolled out OK, but I tried cooking it in a non-stick pan. That I had buttered. The sides of the crust fell down the sides of the pan while it was baking, so I cut them off, leaving crust on the bottom only. Got the cream cheese in, got the pumpkin mix in, and put the whole thing in the fridge to chill.

Went to cut a piece after dinner tonight and that crust was as hard as a rock. It wasn't too brown, so I know I didn't overbake it, so WTH?!? I practically needed a steak knife to cut it. Note to self, in the future, buy the *&%^$ pie crusts already made. Meantime, I think I'm going to scrape the pumpkin and cream cheese off and throw the whole thing in a bowl. And can you believe it? Some people still wonder why I don't want to bake a turkey. HA! If I did, I'd probably need a chainsaw to cut it and diamonds for teeth to chew it.

Anyway, I saw a recipe for flautas made out of leftover turkey and I think I'll thaw a chicken breast and try making those tomorrow. How much worse can it get than the pie crust?

Don't answer that.

I spent most of Black Friday in a hospital waiting room.  My dad had surgery to repair a fistula that had formed between his bladder and colon.  It was a bit nerve-wracking because he has some serious heart and lung issues which made this surgery a medium to high risk for him. The surgeon said that it was a good thing he agreed to have it done because he found a huge pocket of infection behind the bladder that could have caused him to go septic.   We are all very happy about that all went well and hope he recovers quickly and will feel better soon.  We've already been given a year more than we've expected with him since his major heart attack last July, so we are hoping that we'll have even more time with him now! :)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

I spent most of Black Friday in a hospital waiting room.  My dad had surgery to repair a fistula that had formed between his bladder and colon.  It was a bit nerve-wracking because he has some serious heart and lung issues which made this surgery a medium to high risk for him. The surgeon said that it was a good thing he agreed to have it done because he found a huge pocket of infection behind the bladder that could have caused him to go septic.   We are all very happy about that all went well and hope he recovers quickly and will feel better soon.  We've already been given a year more than we've expected with him since his major heart attack last July, so we are hoping that we'll have even more time with him now! :)

Jackie I am so glad to hear that you have a happy outcome. How apropos for this to happen when we are all giving thanks for the blessings in our lives. I hope you have many more happy years together!

You know how it is, you're on hold on the phone for a long time, listening to the recorded message repeating itself over and over while you're waiting for a company representative to pickup your call. You've gotten to the point when you're ready to give up and hang up, but you've been holding for so long and an important issue is involved, it can't be much longer - can it? I was on hold for almost an hour and a half this morning. Can't give up after so long, but when I went to hit the speaker button again I accidentally hit the disconect button. :doh::doh::doh:

1 hour ago, grazhina said:

You know how it is, you're on hold on the phone for a long time, listening to the recorded message repeating itself over and over while you're waiting for a company representative to pickup your call. You've gotten to the point when you're ready to give up and hang up, but you've been holding for so long and an important issue is involved, it can't be much longer - can it? I was on hold for almost an hour and a half this morning. Can't give up after so long, but when I went to hit the speaker button again I accidentally hit the disconect button. :doh::doh::doh:

doh!

We ran into some of our friends at yesterdays jazz brunch and she mentioned using her leftover turkey in gumbo, so after breakfast I made a panful of roux and I now have the slow cooker filling the house with aroma of gumbo.  Guess what's for supper tonight?